PDA

View Full Version : Spurs NBA title tainted...

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 10:52 PM
...by controversial call in Phoenix series...Suns should probably be NBA Champs...

bri
6/14/2007, 10:55 PM
Man, if only there were a forum for general sports...then someone could start a thread to discuss the NBA playoffs...hmmm...if only.....

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 10:56 PM
good point...small audience though...

sanantoniosooner
6/14/2007, 11:01 PM
rus.........I didn't think I could have a lower opinion of your opinions.

I was wrong.

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:03 PM
rus.........I didn't think I could have a lower opinion of your opinions.

I was wrong.

Just ask all of my Phoenix Valley friends....they agree...

sanantoniosooner
6/14/2007, 11:04 PM
Just ask all of my Phoenix Valley friends....they agree...
agreeing with you and being right is pretty much mutually exclusive.

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:07 PM
agreeing with you and being right is pretty much mutually exclusive.

pointless comment...trust me the Suns fans are still up in arms...

olevetonahill
6/14/2007, 11:08 PM
So what happened ?

sanantoniosooner
6/14/2007, 11:10 PM
pointless comment...trust me the Suns fans are still up in arms...
Who cares?

They got owned on their own court at full strength. They lost 4-2.

The suspensions they got came by their own hand.

Cry me a river.

sanantoniosooner
6/14/2007, 11:11 PM
So what happened ?
Anal sex.

Then rus was born.

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:12 PM
It is just a shame that was not a "heads-up" series...

sanantoniosooner
6/14/2007, 11:13 PM
It is just a shame that was not a "heads-up" series...
It's not the Spurs fault the Suns have stupid players on their team.

pb4ou
6/14/2007, 11:13 PM
Hey Russ.... :P nanner nanner nanner :P

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:15 PM
Congratulations to the Spurs they are a legitimately great team...The NBA Championship was determined in the Spurs/Suns series...

Harry Beanbag
6/14/2007, 11:22 PM
I didn't know people still watched the NBA. :confused:

sanantoniosooner
6/14/2007, 11:23 PM
I didn't know people still watched the NBA. :confused:
It's all that's left until football starts.

MLB sucks.

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:24 PM
I love the NBA since the Hornets, pre-Hornets I could care less about the NBA...

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2007, 11:24 PM
just when you thought it was safe to go back to the water

you couldnt get there......

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:26 PM

MLB sucks.

MLB sucks, unbelievable San Antonio Spurs and I agree on something...

sanantoniosooner
6/14/2007, 11:27 PM
I could be wrong.

Harry Beanbag
6/14/2007, 11:28 PM

MLB sucks.

I don't think I've watched a complete NBA game in ten years. I really tried watching one of the Suns-Spurs games since I live in Phoenix and was supposed to be excited or something, but I just couldn't make it all the way through.

I've decided to just take up drinking as a sport between football seasons now days.

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:28 PM
I could be wrong.

Here's one vote for a new avatar for SAS' tired, old avatar...

Vaevictis
6/14/2007, 11:30 PM
...by controversial call in Phoenix series...Suns should probably be NBA Champs...

After losing 4-2 against the Spurs? You MIGHT have a case if it was 4-3. The Suns didn't even keep it within one game, much less win the series.

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:34 PM
A large contingent feel it was a tainted series...

Vaevictis
6/14/2007, 11:35 PM
So basically, Phoenix fans.

And even if the series is tainted, that doesn't mean the title is. Again, Spurs won 4-2, and beat everyone else pretty handily, yes?

4-3, you might have a case. But the Suns weren't even close to winning the series when they were ousted.

Sooner24
6/14/2007, 11:40 PM
MLB and NBA both suck.

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:40 PM
Lest we forget the tainted gane was game 5, in Phoenix then game six was in Mexico, I mean San Antonio , thus it was a huge impact...

Sooner98
6/14/2007, 11:43 PM
I was actually kind of excited about the finals when Cleveland beat Detroit, but once they actually started playing, my interest waned quickly. Probably the most boring, uninteresting NBA Finals I can ever remember.

soonerboomer93
6/14/2007, 11:49 PM
Pheonix fans just need a kick to the taint and to quit cryin

silverwheels
6/14/2007, 11:50 PM
The NBA still exists? Hmm. Didn't know that.

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:51 PM
Pheonix fans just need a kick to the taint and to quit cryin

They wus robbed...

soonerboomer93
6/14/2007, 11:56 PM
yo man, they got knocked the **** out...

olevetonahill
6/14/2007, 11:57 PM
so who wun ?

soonerboomer93
6/14/2007, 11:57 PM
oh, and **** the NBA
and **** the Spurs for taking it in 4 instead of 5

Soonerus
6/14/2007, 11:58 PM
It is hard to argue the Spurs are not deserving, they are a great team....

IronSooner
6/15/2007, 01:46 AM
Yep, the I don't have any doubt that they were the best team this year. I was hoping Cleveland could drag it out a little or make it interesting, but SA is just a better team than them, period.

Guess the only sport left now is old OU game tapes. Is it August yet?

StoopTroup
6/15/2007, 01:49 AM
The NBA Season is over?

I missed it again...darn.

Shamrock
6/15/2007, 01:58 AM
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4517/1406spurscavalierscc5.jpg

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4315/game4spurscavaliers56no4.jpg

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9282/spurs1medkg4.gif

GrapevineSooner
6/15/2007, 09:14 AM
Phoenix had their full squad available in Game 6 of that series.

At one point in the 4th, they were down by 20.

I think that negates your ridiculous claim, rus.

Mjcpr
6/15/2007, 09:20 AM
A large contingent feel it was a tainted series...
A large contingent feel you're a taint. :D

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2007, 10:20 AM
This is the dumbest ****ing baiting thread I've ever seen. By. A. Mile.

TopDawg
6/15/2007, 10:51 AM
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4315/game4spurscavaliers56no4.jpg

If that picture went just a little bit further to the left, she'd be standing in front of a sign that clearly said "NASTY".

:D

bri
6/15/2007, 01:05 PM
I love the NBA since the Hornets, pre-Hornets I could care less about the NBA...

So basically you're a virgin who goes out and hires a hooker, then goes back to school and claims to be an expert on how to score chicks?

bri
6/15/2007, 01:08 PM
And Spurs fans, winning once every two years does not make you a dynasty. It makes you a US Representative.

sanantoniosooner
6/15/2007, 06:20 PM
And Spurs fans, winning once every two years does not make you a dynasty. It makes you a US Representative.
geez

3 out of 5 and 4 out of 9

Without some injuries it could have been more. It's not over yet either.

bri
6/15/2007, 09:41 PM
So, Spur Fan = aggy? :confused:

sanantoniosooner
6/15/2007, 10:07 PM
So, Spur Fan = aggy? :confused:
the Spurs have championships.

You don't want me to mention which NBA in Texas has the most aggie-like fans.;)

If your greatest achievement is Western Conference Champion.....say AYE!:twinkies:

bri
6/15/2007, 10:11 PM
I see where you're going with this...and as a Bulls fan since the age of 13, I scoff at you. :D

All I'm saying is the Spurs have had a very nice run, but it's not a dynasty. Dynasties go back-to-back at least once. ;)

sanantoniosooner
6/15/2007, 10:13 PM
BS.

Manufactured tripe by haters.

A "nice" 9 year "run".:rolleyes:

Scott D
6/15/2007, 10:20 PM

well to be fair, in the world of ESPN, winning twice in a decade makes you a dynasty...just ask the Houston Rockets :D

bri
6/15/2007, 10:40 PM
BS.

Manufactured tripe by haters.

A "nice" 9 year "run".:rolleyes:

Well, actually it's a nice 4 year run that just happens to be spread out over 9 years...which included a different team managing to win back-to-back-to-back titles. :D

sanantoniosooner
6/15/2007, 10:46 PM
So?

People wanted to stick the "*" on the Spurs, and now that doesn't work because they have three more. So now you have to manufacture another ridiculous stipulation. If the Spurs do go back2back, you guys would find some new criteria to disrespect the team.

Soonerus
6/15/2007, 10:53 PM
So?

People wanted to stick the "*" on the Spurs, and now that doesn't work because they have three more. So now you have to manufacture another ridiculous stipulation. If the Spurs do go back2back, you guys would find some new criteria to disrespect the team.

Don't be so paranoid, nobody really disrespects the Spurs they are just dinking with your egg-shell arse...

sanantoniosooner
6/15/2007, 10:55 PM
Don't be so paranoid, nobody really disrespects the Spurs they are just dinking with your egg-shell arse...
you don't listen to national sports talk shows do you?

Soonerus
6/15/2007, 10:58 PM
you don't listen to national sports talk shows do you?

Never, local or national...satellite radio only for the unencumbered music...

bri
6/15/2007, 11:06 PM
So?

I don't speak for "people", I speak for me. I don't consider the Spurs a dynasty. I consider them a good team that can win a title here and there, but they lack the consistency of a true dynasty. That's why people (and I) use the "repeat" yardstick. If they come back and win it all again next year, then I'll give them dynastic status. Until then, no.

Moreover, why does it matter to you if everyone thinks they're a dynasty or not? They still get rings and a shiny trophy for winning this year, don't they? :D

sanantoniosooner
6/15/2007, 11:16 PM
Here and there?

There are only three other teams that have done what the Spurs have.

And the Bulls are the only other team to be undefeated in Championship games of all the teams with more than one appearance.

I don't really care what "people" think so much as I like to interject some reality in their wishful opinion.

It must be nice having several teams to root for;)

Soonerus
6/15/2007, 11:47 PM
Spurs are objectively awesome, no debate...

bri
6/15/2007, 11:47 PM
1999 (Strike shortened year)
2003 (After the Lakers three-peated)

You can make a decent case for being slightly dynastic since 2003, but when they try to stretch it out to include that '99 title it waters the accomplishment down. Still, winning every other year makes you the 80's Celtics. Repeat next year, and you'll be the 80's Lakers.

Of course, next year will be an even-numbered one...so the East will be taking the O'Brien trophy home. ;)

bri
6/15/2007, 11:49 PM
Spurs are objectively awesome, no debate...

And yet, there's a debate taking place.

It's the darndest thing, innit?

Soonerus
6/16/2007, 12:05 AM

negative element exists in every facet of life, no matter what....

colleyvillesooner
6/16/2007, 02:42 AM

Innit?

why does Shaun of the Dead come to mind?

bri
6/16/2007, 09:04 AM
'Cause you've got red on you?

sanantoniosooner
6/16/2007, 10:49 AM
1999 (Strike shortened year)
2003 (After the Lakers three-peated)

You can make a decent case for being slightly dynastic since 2003, but when they try to stretch it out to include that '99 title it waters the accomplishment down. Still, winning every other year makes you the 80's Celtics. Repeat next year, and you'll be the 80's Lakers.

Of course, next year will be an even-numbered one...so the East will be taking the O'Brien trophy home. ;)
The reason you have to include the '99 team is because the cornerstone of that team is still the cornerstone of this team and it is within the "decade" span which seems to be important to dynasty talkers.

Every team played the same number of games in '99. It's not like only the Spurs played an abbreviated season. The knock on the Spurs back then was that they peaked at 50 wins and alway trailed off by the time the playoffs get there. They've proven otherwise since then though.

And putting some note next to '03 is retarded. You could go back and suggest that Jordon only started winning because the Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons ran out of gas.

You've guzzled too much of Phil Jackson's koolaid to be rational.

colleyvillesooner
6/16/2007, 10:56 AM
mmm, kool aid....

GrapevineSooner
6/16/2007, 11:41 AM
The reason you have to include the '99 team is because the cornerstone of that team is still the cornerstone of this team and it is within the "decade" span which seems to be important to dynasty talkers.

Every team played the same number of games in '99. It's not like only the Spurs played an abbreviated season. The knock on the Spurs back then was that they peaked at 50 wins and alway trailed off by the time the playoffs get there. They've proven otherwise since then though.

And putting some note next to '03 is retarded. You could go back and suggest that Jordon only started winning because the Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons ran out of gas.

You've guzzled too much of Phil Jackson's koolaid to be rational.
I also seem to recall the Lakers came back the very next year and beat the Spurs in the second round. Albeit, on a very, very questionable Derek Fisher game winner at the end of Game 5 (there's no way in hell he got that shot off in time)

There's also simply no way in hell you can deny the Spurs rightful place in history. Call them a dynasty or don't call them a dynasty.

I don't care.

They are the organization by which other organizations try to pattern themselves after year after year (including my Mavs). They are the team of the decade of the last 10 years.

It's certainly debatable right now whether or not they're the team of the '00's. Even if they skip next year and win another title in '09, I think you can give them that title as well.

Ash
6/16/2007, 12:52 PM
There's also simply no way in hell you can deny the Spurs rightful place in history. Call them a dynasty or don't call them a dynasty.

I don't care.

Apparently, neither does the rest of America.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6927320

They are the team of the decade of the last 10 years.

... Even if they skip next year and win another title in '09, I think you can give them that title as well.

Except nobody was watching...

San Antonio's four-game sweep of Cleveland finished with a record-low 6.2 television rating and 11 share on ABC, Nielsen Media Research said Friday.

Scott D
6/16/2007, 01:10 PM
that's because watching Lebron and the 11 dwarves isn't fun...for anyone...even in Cleveland. Danny Ferry has done a horrible job assembling a team around Lebron, not much better than his predecessor.

bri
6/16/2007, 02:10 PM
Which is why if the Bulls can find a true low-post scoring presence to bring balance to that offense, the Cavs' "era" will last all of one year. :D

sanantoniosooner
6/16/2007, 03:31 PM
I also seem to recall the Lakers came back the very next year and beat the Spurs in the second round. Albeit, on a very, very questionable Derek Fisher game winner at the end of Game 5 (there's no way in hell he got that shot off in time)

I don't care.

They are the organization by which other organizations try to pattern themselves after year after year (including my Mavs). They are the team of the decade of the last 10 years.

It's certainly debatable right now whether or not they're the team of the '00's. Even if they skip next year and win another title in '09, I think you can give them that title as well.
0.4.............:mad:

The debate right now centers on longevity VS brightest burn.

The debate could be settled within the next few years. The Spurs are an old team, but the key elements still have good years left and Parker is only going to get better. Oberto is finally becoming a major contributor. If the Spurs survive the West, which they have as good or better shot than most, they could still get another championship or two. Then it wont even be a discussion.

GrapevineSooner
6/16/2007, 05:06 PM
that's because watching Lebron and the 11 dwarves isn't fun...for anyone...even in Cleveland. Danny Ferry has done a horrible job assembling a team around Lebron, not much better than his predecessor.

Ferry used to play the Spurs before he retired, right?

I smell a conspiracy. ;)

Scott D
6/16/2007, 05:16 PM
0.4.............:mad:

The debate right now centers on longevity VS brightest burn.

The debate could be settled within the next few years. The Spurs are an old team, but the key elements still have good years left and Parker is only going to get better. Oberto is finally becoming a major contributor. If the Spurs survive the West, which they have as good or better shot than most, they could still get another championship or two. Then it wont even be a discussion.

within two years Oberto will go back to supervising his beef jerky empire and quit horrifying nba fans with his terrible stringy hair ;)

Scott D
6/16/2007, 05:17 PM
Ferry used to play the Spurs before he retired, right?

I smell a conspiracy. ;)

Ferry was a tool long before he ever suited up for Cleveland..or the Spurs ;)

TopDawg
6/16/2007, 06:06 PM

I tend to agree with bri on this one when he says that throwing in the 99 season waters it down.

I'd say that 3 out of 5 is worthy of dynasty status, repeat or not. But when you throw that 99 season in there, you're taking it from "We've won more over this time span than all the other teams combined" to, well, not.

That's kinda how I look at a dynasty. If, over the course of at least 4 years, you've won more titles than anybody else, you've earned dynasty status. I guess that's my criteria.

Ash
6/16/2007, 06:42 PM
within two years Oberto will go back to supervising his beef jerky empire and quit horrifying nba fans with his terrible stringy hair ;)

heh...best post in this thread so far.

sanantoniosooner
6/16/2007, 07:54 PM
heh...best post in this thread so far.
There's a reason his name is Greasio Oberto

Ash
6/16/2007, 09:13 PM
There's a reason his name is Greasio Oberto

The thing that makes me laugh the most is how the Euros on the Spurs squad maintain a fashionably noticeable five o'clock shadow throughout the series.

Just grow the damn beard or shave it off.

That being said, Ginobli has been a great asset to the team for several years now and Parker emerged in this play-offs. The talent was always apparent, but he showed he could take over games this year.

sanantoniosooner
6/16/2007, 10:32 PM
Oberto and Ginobili are Argentinian. Not Euro.

Ash
6/16/2007, 10:33 PM
Oberto and Ginobili are Argentinian. Not Euro.

Not that much of a diff apparently.

sanantoniosooner
6/16/2007, 10:35 PM
Hope this helps

http://www.map-of-south-america.us/south-america-map.gif

Ash
6/16/2007, 10:37 PM
I wasn't talkin' bout geography...way to blow up the thread so that it doesn't fit on the screen.

sanantoniosooner
6/16/2007, 10:38 PM
They have different currency too.

Ash
6/16/2007, 10:43 PM
They have different currency too.

But maintain a cultural tie to the continent...not surprising since they have recent immigrants from throughout Europe, but mostly Spain and Italy.

This is clearly reflected in the Euro-trash stylings of Jerky boy and his little sidekick.

sanantoniosooner
6/16/2007, 10:44 PM
Did you see the "mullet" thread?

We got our own nasties.

Ash
6/16/2007, 10:47 PM
Did you see the "mullet" thread?

We got our own nasties.

Very true, including the rat tails that little kids in this neck of the woods wear.

Which reminds me (and ties into the NBA)...at the Wal-Marts the other day, wifey and I noticed a little kid (maybe seven or eight) with a haircut like Drew Gooden (shaved bald except for the patch at the base of the skull) but with the stylish addition of a braided rat tail hanging off of it. That kid's going places.

sanantoniosooner
6/16/2007, 10:49 PM
Drew Gooden's "do" is Euro.

It's called the "french chic pit".

Ash
6/16/2007, 10:57 PM
Drew Gooden's "do" is Euro.

It's called the "french chic pit".

Heh...I thought it was Brazilian...

Scott D
6/16/2007, 11:07 PM
Not that much of a diff apparently.

don't tell that to Lionel Messi

Ash
6/17/2007, 11:45 AM
Cavaliers, Spurs Losing Interest In Drawn-Out NBA Playoffs

CLEVELAND--The NBA playoffs entered their sixth week on Sunday with a game between the San Antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers. For both teams, the playoffs have been a long, winding road spread out over an unbearable length of time, causing then to lose interest in the postseason and NBA basketball altogether.

“I was really into the playoffs at the beginning but now I’m just starting to get bored,” said Spurs forward Robert Horry. “Somewhere around the middle of the conference finals I just started to think about other stuff, like the final episode of the Sopranos and baseball season. It seems too late to even be playing basketball. So let me know how this series ends, because I am curious as to whether we can finish off the Cavs, but I sure as hell won’t be paying any attention to it.”

Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich confessed to being sick of basketball and said the league should compress the playoffs into one month in order to make it more exciting. He also admitted that NBA basketball is the “furthest thing from his mind” right now.

“I’m sorry but I just can’t be bothered with basketball this time of year,” said Popovich. “I mean, how long can they drag this out for? After we won Game 1 on Thursday, we were all ready to go for Game 2 on Friday, but it turns out it wasn’t until Sunday. Sunday? After two days our guys didn’t even want to play on Sunday. Fortunately, wanting to play isn’t a prerequisite to beating the Cavaliers.”

On the other side, the Cavaliers are experiencing similar feelings of apathy and disinterest. Practices have been lackadaisical and team meetings have been reduced to Mike Brown talking to himself as players text message their friends and listen to iPods.

The coach's newest challenge may be the most difficult of his career: to inspire his team, and himself, to care about basketball again.

“Oh my God is this thing ever going to end?” Brown asked yesterday after practice. “Seriously, this is killing our team’s motivation. Some of them aren’t even fans of basketball anymore. I guess my challenge now is to get them back into midseason form and get them excited about playing again. Maybe I should remind them they’re in the finals and it’s good to win the finals because…whatever. I don’t even know. Right now my priorities are Lost, the new season of Top Chef, the AL Central race, and golf.”

Brown did admit that he was excited about one NBA-related event: the draft.

“Okay I do love the draft. That much I can admit,” he said. “That’s the one thing that keeps me interested in basketball in the offseason. Oh sorry, this isn’t the offseason. We’re still playing. What are we down, 2-0? Oh, darn. Well, hopefully we can come back and win it, but that would be bittersweet since we would need to go at least six games which, according to this schedule, will take us into...let's see...September of 2008.”

Despite the complaints from players and coaches and low TV ratings for the finals, commissioner David Stern insists that the “40 games in 40 nights” format is here to stay.

“This is what’s best for the league,” Stern said on the Dan Patrick radio show on Tuesday. “40 games in 40 nights is an ingenious concept that allows us to stretch the season all the way into the summer. Sure the players hate it and the coaches hate it and the fans hate it, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. If we got rid of everything people hate – the *****cat Dolls, the David Blaine commercials, the horrible camera angles, Bruce Bowen – we wouldn’t have anything left. Trust me, this league has made a lot of money out of annoying the **** out of our core fan base.”

http://thebrushback.com/playoffs_full.htm

NormanPride
6/18/2007, 01:06 PM
Spurs win, NBA loses. I love it.

Harry Beanbag
6/18/2007, 04:44 PM
Colin Cowherd had an excellent idea last week on how to make the NBA entertaining and watchable again......trapdoors on the court. That would rule.

GrapevineSooner
6/18/2007, 04:51 PM
Meh.

Me thinks Colin is a docherocket.

Harry Beanbag
6/18/2007, 04:55 PM
Meh.

Me thinks Colin is a docherocket.

So do I for the most part, but he can still be entertaining.

TopDawg
6/18/2007, 05:03 PM
Colin Cowherd had an excellent idea last week on how to make the NBA entertaining and watchable again......trapdoors on the court. That would rule.

No. Gladiators. Make it like Power Ball.

Or trampolines. Whatever happened to Slam Ball?

Scott D
6/18/2007, 06:16 PM
So do I for the most part, but he can still be entertaining.

I've got a great idea for Colin Cowherd...it involves a ball gag and a firing squad.