PDA

View Full Version : The official "Bitch to Dean about the USPS" thread

Norm In Norman
6/13/2007, 10:42 AM
On-line banking is for nimrods and no-accounts who can't manage their own damn money. When I pay my bills on July 1st, I know they're paid, and for how much. I also know how much I've got left in checking. I ain't giving up control of my funds to a bank. It's bad enough that they get to hold and make $$ on my deposits.
Unfortunately, there are some crummy trained postal employees that don't seem to be able to get my bills to me or get my payments to the payee on time. Where do you work again?

After the 100th time the USPS screwed me over somehow, I decided to go this route and have had one problem in two years (with a mailed check that took 3 weeks to get there I might add).

Also I don't have all the free time you have to sit and write checks every month. I do have enough time to ride a horse to work though.

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately, there are some crummy trained postal employees that don't seem to be able to get my bills to me or get my payments to the payee on time. Where do you work again?

After the 100th time the USPS screwed me over somehow, I decided to go this route and have had one problem in two years (with a mailed check that took 3 weeks to get there I might add).

Also I don't have all the free time you have to sit and write checks every month. I do have enough time to ride a horse to work though.

Well then you do it your way Mr. Happy, I'll do it mine. However, you've got time to type your woes on this board, so you've got time to write checks. And tell me, how many times have your bills not shown up at your house? That's what I thought, never. You're just still under the influence of those bitter pills you took.

Norm In Norman
6/13/2007, 10:52 AM
Well then you do it your way Mr. Happy, I'll do it mine. However, you've got time to type your woes on this board, so you've got time to write checks. And tell me, how many times have your bills not shown up at your house? That's what I thought, never. You're just still under the influence of those bitter pills you took.
You didn't read my post. I frequently don't receive my bills. I actually keep a calendar to remind me when my bill normally needs to be paid so I can call just in case it doesn't show up. I'd say I am missing at least one bill every other month.

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 10:57 AM
You didn't read my post. I frequently don't receive my bills. I actually keep a calendar to remind me when my bill normally needs to be paid so I can call just in case it doesn't show up. I'd say I am missing at least one bill every other month.

No, I read it. I just don't buy it. In other words, I'm calling bull****. Major bull****. Unless this "luck o' the Norm" thing is supa-real, or your "bills" are coming from the "Fly by Night Auto Financing and Homecooked Barbecue" place.

Statistics bear your story out. And I use Republic Bank of Norman and McClain Bank in Purcell. I can check my balance and accounting info on line at Republic, and I'm sure you can do on line banking there. McClain, not so much.

Norm In Norman
6/13/2007, 11:06 AM
No, I read it. I just don't buy it. In other words, I'm calling bull****. Major bull****. Unless this "luck o' the Norm" thing is supa-real, or your "bills" are coming from the "Fly by Night Auto Financing and Homecooked Barbecue" place.

Statistics bear your story out. And I use Republic Bank of Norman and McClain Bank in Purcell. I can check my balance and accounting info on line at Republic, and I'm sure you can do on line banking there. McClain, not so much.
It's probably my carrier, but I don't care. My mail is supposed to show up every time no matter who my carrier is. In fact, it's gotten a bit better here lately but not perfect. Then again my carrier now drives a USPS truck instead of a 1978 LTD.

Don't get me started on why junk mailers get to pay less for sending mail than me.

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 11:13 AM
I'll bite.

Junk mailers (we prefer to call them Business Mailers) mail brazillions of pieces. They are our valued customers. Our esteemed Business Mailers create 10's of billions of dollars in annual revenue.

You? Your'e too cheap to buy a .41 cent stamp, and you don't mail ****. Then you bitch about the one time in your whole universe that your dead Aunt Margaret didn't get the birthday card you mailed her for 3-weeks.

Viking Kitten
6/13/2007, 11:15 AM
I think the real question here is why is Norm mailing birthday cards to dead relatives.

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 11:16 AM
I think the real question here is why is Norm mailing birthday cards to dead relatives.

It's Norm.

Norm In Norman
6/13/2007, 11:17 AM
I'll bite.

Junk mailers (we prefer to call them Business Mailers) mail brazillions of pieces. They are our valued customers. Our esteemed Business Mailers create 10's of billions of dollars in annual revenue.

You? Your'e too cheap to buy a .41 cent stamp, and you don't mail ****. Then you bitch about the one time in your whole universe that your dead Aunt Margaret didn't get the birthday card you mailed her for 3-weeks.
So, you are a service for big business instead of citizens. Got it.

Mongo
6/13/2007, 11:18 AM
Dean, did you know Mr. Flowers is having trouble getting his mail delivered? It has been a problem he has been dealing with for about 4-5 months:D

C&CDean
So, you are a service for big business instead of citizens. Got it.

No, we are a service for everyone. Except you. Suck it.

sooner_born_1960
She wasn't dead when he mailed it. She died sometime later.

C&CDean
Dean, did you know Mr. Flowers is having trouble getting his mail delivered? It has been a problem he has been dealing with for about 4-5 months:D

Tell Lew to suck it too.

Mjcpr
6/13/2007, 11:19 AM
Norm says it would save everyone a lot of time and money if they just skipped the postal carrier "training" all together.

What's to know?

Norm In Norman
6/13/2007, 11:19 AM
This thread needs baby pics
http://lh4.google.com/image/nsmelton/RnAX3odZ1tI/AAAAAAAAAh8/snyFYCG1aHQ/s800/theboys01.jpg

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 11:22 AM
http://lh4.google.com/image/nsmelton/RnAX3odZ1tI/AAAAAAAAAh8/snyFYCG1aHQ/s800/theboys01.jpg

That's two future Postal workers right there.

Scott D
6/13/2007, 11:27 AM
I rest my case Norm.

debit cards made mailing a bill via usps kinda a waste of time.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2007, 11:32 AM
I rest my case Norm.

i'm sure the USPS wont miss my .41 stamp

i pay a flat fee and know for certain that not only does my payment actually get there, it gets there on time

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 11:32 AM
i'm sure the USPS wont miss my .41 stamp

i pay a flat fee and know for certain that not only does my payment actually get there, it gets there on time

Goody.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2007, 11:34 AM
indeed

yermom
6/13/2007, 11:40 AM
I'll bite.

they are the biggest reason i hate checking my mail

if i could find a way to make you guys eat that stuff, i would

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/13/2007, 11:49 AM
So one time I heard a comedian say that when he gets junk mail with a SASE inside for our convenience that he puts the junk mail inside and mails it back. Ha ha.

But think about that for a minute. Isn't that a win/win for everyone?

I think I'll start doing that, too.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/13/2007, 11:49 AM
Oh, and 'Dark Stranger'.

Heh. :D

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2007, 12:38 PM
Dean - does the USPS have any estimations as to how much business they've lost due to online banking? any kind of %'s?

LilSooner
6/13/2007, 01:28 PM
And Dean for what it's worth I would rather send my stuff through the USPS, why you may ask since I have a corporate account at Fed Ex? Because the fed ex rips me the hell off. You can't tell me it's cost me 68 bucks to over night something to ponca city. Hell for that I just drive the damn thing up there.

I hate fed ex, they are the suckiest of all suck. I really hate when they lose my 400 dollar lap chole packs that go out to middle of nowhere oklahoma and I'm the one responsible for replacing them, the bastards.

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 01:30 PM
Dean - does the USPS have any estimations as to how much business they've lost due to online banking? any kind of %'s?

Whatever business might have been lost through on-line banking is more than made up through innerweb buying. You can buy your **** on Ebay, but you can't get it delivered through ebay. We're also heavy into all kinds of e-commerce. Our flats and first-class letter business has really not dropped off that much. People still get most of their bills through the mail, and really good people still send greeting cards through the mail. Cause everybody knows that innerweb greeting cards are the succ.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2007, 01:33 PM
lol, true, e-cards do suck, and i wasnt bashing the post office, i use it plenty, just not for my bills

but what i dont send to the credit card companies, they more than make up for by sending me offers

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 01:33 PM
And Dean for what it's worth I would rather send my stuff through the USPS, why you may ask since I have a corporate account at Fed Ex? Because the fed ex rips me the hell off. You can't tell me it's cost me 68 bucks to over night something to ponca city. Hell for that I just drive the damn thing up there.

I hate fed ex, they are the suckiest of all suck. I really hate when they lose my 400 dollar lap chole packs that go out to middle of nowhere oklahoma and I'm the one responsible for replacing them, the bastards.

We have an intranet site that shows all the folks who switch from Fedex or UPS for their overnight/2-day services. The main reason is cost and reliability. If you go Express Mail, and it doesn't get there tomorrow, it's free. And the USPS is much cheaper across the board for the same services. We have to announce our rate increases - the others just do it on the sly.

Hamhock
6/13/2007, 01:41 PM
We have an intranet site that shows all the folks who switch from Fedex or UPS for their overnight/2-day services. The main reason is cost and reliability. If you go Express Mail, and it doesn't get there tomorrow, it's free. And the USPS is much cheaper across the board for the same services. We have to announce our rate increases - the others just do it on the sly.

do you get a tracking number with express mail? i send a bunch of stuff via ups that doesn't necessarily need to get there by 8am the next day, i just want to be able to track it so it doesn't get lost.

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 01:49 PM
do you get a tracking number with express mail? i send a bunch of stuff via ups that doesn't necessarily need to get there by 8am the next day, i just want to be able to track it so it doesn't get lost.

Dude, you get a tracking number with regular old priority mail. And for about a third less than UPS.

Hamhock
6/13/2007, 01:51 PM
Dude, you get a tracking number with regular old priority mail. And for about a third less than UPS.

i wanna send some important paperwork in between tulsa and okc, sometimes dallas/wichita/kc. i'd prefer it get there the next day, but if not, 2nd day would be ok. i need to be able to track it.

what's the name of the USPS product? i'd ask for a link but some smart *** will tell me to google it.

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 01:53 PM
i wanna send some important paperwork in between tulsa and okc, sometimes dallas/wichita/kc. i'd prefer it get there the next day, but if not, 2nd day would be ok. i need to be able to track it.

what's the name of the USPS product? i'd ask for a link but some smart *** will tell me to google it.

If you want it overnight, it's Express Mail. If you want 2-day, it's Priority Mail. Your regular mail carrier can pick up during delivery, or you can go to the PO.

http://www.usps.com/

yermom
6/13/2007, 01:56 PM

you may get a tracking number but you can't track the package online for ****

i've never gotten updates until i finally got the package

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 01:57 PM
you may get a tracking number but you can't track the package online for ****

i've never gotten updates until i finally got the package

Whatever. So, you youngsters with all your immediate gratification needs aren't happy with getting their packages. No, they wanna know exactly where/when/who/why/how their package got from point A to point B. Selfish little ****s.

Mjcpr
6/13/2007, 01:59 PM

USPS.com is your friend.

mdklatt
6/13/2007, 01:59 PM

USPS tracking information is worthless.

6/10/2007: Package received from sender.
6/13/2007: Package delivered.

Gee, thanks.

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 02:00 PM
See my above post, youngster.

yermom
6/13/2007, 02:02 PM
so why even advertise tracking?

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 02:03 PM
Because nimrods need to know?

mdklatt
6/13/2007, 02:03 PM
See my above post, youngster.

Back in my day, we didn't give a damn when our package was going to arrive. We knew it would show up sooner or later. Or maybe not at all. And that's how we liked it.

Hamhock
6/13/2007, 02:15 PM
hmmm..i like the tracking.

sometimes i get the feeling that UPS is a step away from being able to tell me exactly what intersection the truck with my package is at and what the driver is listening to on the radio.

RacerX
6/13/2007, 02:17 PM
Don't aggravate the dots!

mdklatt
6/13/2007, 02:19 PM
sometimes i get the feeling that UPS is a step away from being able to tell me exactly what intersection the truck with my package is at

With GPS that wouldn't be difficult to do. Combine that with flight tracking information, and you could know the exact location and speed of your package any time it's on the move.

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 02:33 PM
With GPS that wouldn't be difficult to do. Combine that with flight tracking information, and you could know the exact location and speed of your package any time it's on the move.

So, y'all pay $20 for shipping just to know where your package is? Weirdos.

Hamhock
6/13/2007, 02:34 PM
UPS ground is a little over $5.

if the customer wants to know where the package is, I want to know where the package is.

C&CDean
6/13/2007, 02:38 PM
UPS ground is a little over $5.

if the customer wants to know where the package is, I want to know where the package is.

I don't mail packages. If I did, my only concern would be did it get there on time or not. I honestly can't tell you how the USPS tracking system works. You'd have to give it a whirl. If it sucks, go back to UPS I guess.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2007, 02:47 PM
i like the tracking confirmation dealio with USPS because its like 65 cents

ANY courier, be it USPS, UPS, DHL, FEDEX, they can and do lose packages

Scott D
6/13/2007, 03:12 PM
STOP AGITATING THE DOTS!

Stoop Dawg
6/14/2007, 01:19 AM
I've had the misfortune of going to the post office a couple of times lately. Here's what I've encountered:

1. Of course, there are 20 people in line and one person working.

2. I was returning a rug to Overstock.com. It was rolled up like a tootsie roll. It took 3 of them to figure out to enter the "length, height, and width" into the computer. "There's no width! What's the width?" They still got it wrong Dude measured the circumference then divided it by 2. I had been standing there so long I just let it go.

3. I was mailing an evelope and didn't care how long it took to get there. I asked for the cheapest method. Moron offers me Express mail. I said "Is that the cheapest?". So then she offers me Priority mail. Isn't First Class even cheaper? What's so hard about giving me the cheapest rate when I ask for it?

4. Priority mail is NOT 2 day. It's "2 or 3 day, whatever we feel like". I'm not sure how this is different from First Class. I guess First Class is "whenever, if at all".

5. I don't see it on the USPS web site, but I could have sworn the moron offered me "guaranteed delivery" for an extra charge. Perhaps I misunderstood her, see #6.

6. They act like the customer is the moron because we don't study up on USPS labels and guidelines before we go into the post office. No, I don't know which label to put on there, where to put it, or what special kind of tape you require. And no I don't want to stand here and hand write the address on the label. You're going to type it into your computer anyway, so why don't you just print a label for me and put it where it goes? Yes, I'll gladly pay more for the new-fangled thing that UPS and FedEx provide. I think they're calling this new thing "Customer Service".

Norm In Norman
6/14/2007, 02:17 PM
This thread has been split out for less confusion on my tiny brain.

C&CDean
6/14/2007, 02:20 PM
So, when I bank on-line I go to that Copper Top bank on the Westside, yo.

Taxman71
6/14/2007, 02:24 PM
This thread is ignoring one of the golden rules....never pi$$ed off a postal worker!

TopDawg
6/14/2007, 02:36 PM

If your customer wants to know where the package is, just forward their call to Dean.

JohnnyMack
6/14/2007, 02:41 PM
Dean sucks. He was all actin' like a bitch just 'cause I wanted to steal an r2-D2 mail box.

slickdawg
6/14/2007, 02:55 PM
I want them to make stamps 50 cents each, and lock that price in for 10 years.

Paperclip
6/14/2007, 02:57 PM
1. Of course, there are 20 people in line and one person working.

This is my only real complaint about the post office. What's with that? I've never had a problem with mail being on time, etc.

mdklatt
6/14/2007, 03:05 PM
I want them to make stamps 50 cents each, and lock that price in for 10 years.

You can buy "perpetual" stamps now that will work no matter what the first class rate is. But postage increases have historically been less than inflation, so you're better off dealing with new stamps every few years.

Frozen Sooner
6/14/2007, 03:10 PM
You can buy "perpetual" stamps now that will work no matter what the first class rate is. But postage increases have historically been less than inflation, so you're better off dealing with new stamps every few years.

Actually, that's not true. I looked it up the other day and the price of first-class postage has increased by about 50% in real dollars since the 70s.

TopDawg
6/14/2007, 03:13 PM
One thing the USPS most certainly has is a mighty fine buffet at their training center. DEEEEE-LISH!

mdklatt
6/14/2007, 03:16 PM
Actually, that's not true. I looked it up the other day and the price of first-class postage has increased by about 50% in real dollars since the 70s.

Here's where I got that from: http://www.slate.com/id/2166475/

Since 1971, postal rates have increased more slowly than the actual inflation rate, as measured by the U.S. Consumer Price Index. So, despite the numerous rate hikes over the last 36 years, stamps have actually been getting cheaper. ... Should this historical pattern hold, you'd be paying more for today's forever stamps than you would for any stamp in the future, no matter how high the rate goes.

In fact, this pattern must hold—as a matter of law. In December, President Bush signed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, which ensures that future price increases will be kept below an inflation-based ceiling. In other words, postage hikes will never surpass inflation—and the forever stamp will never become a good investment.

Frozen Sooner
6/14/2007, 05:18 PM
1 oz 1st class stamp in 1971=8 cents.
1 oz 1st class stamp in 2007=41 cents.
512.5% increase

CPI in January 1971=39.8
CPI in January 2007=202.416

508.9% increase.

Looks like Slate is wrong on this one. I can't remember which year of the 70s I looked at last time where I got the 50% number.