PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Good BBQ Tips!

Okieflyer
6/13/2007, 07:55 AM
Alright you BBQers. I need help on BBQing. I want to hear some advice from what kind of grill I should get (on a poor man's budgit) to how to cook it.:confused:

You can chime in too Newbomb.;)

Hamhock
6/13/2007, 08:00 AM
my only advice is that charcoal owns propane.

85Sooner
6/13/2007, 08:01 AM
Alright you BBQers. I need help on BBQing. I want to hear some advice from what kind of grill I should get (on a poor man's budgit) to how to cook it.:confused:

Whats your budget?

Mjcpr
6/13/2007, 08:01 AM

Do you plan on smoking meat?

*cough*

Okieflyer
6/13/2007, 08:03 AM
Whats your budget?
Well....less than a grand! ;)

King Crimson
6/13/2007, 08:03 AM
Newcomb's driving to Thunder Bay or some **** right now.

actually, he's going to see his Dad for Pop's Day.

Okieflyer
6/13/2007, 08:06 AM
Do you plan on smoking meat?

*cough*

I would like to try that.

*sniff*

Okieflyer
6/13/2007, 08:06 AM
Newcomb's driving to Thunder Bay or some **** right now.

actually, he's going to see his Dad for Pop's Day.

I forgot. Back to the Great State of South Dakota!!!!:D

85Sooner
6/13/2007, 08:08 AM
Well....less than a grand! ;)

THE BIG GREEN EGG.(699.00) I got one a few months back and it is truely the most amazing cooker I have ever had. Easiest to use, no clean-up, food tastes fantastic. ten minutes of practice and you can control the temp from 180-700 with in 2 or 3 degrees for extended periods with no work. Clearly lives up to every story I have heard. ( i thought they were all bs'in but nope its all true)

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features.htm

Mjcpr
6/13/2007, 08:09 AM
This is probably not going to be that great for your cholesterol.

AggieTool
6/13/2007, 08:22 AM
For nightly grilling. I recommend an all stainless (burners included) gas grill readily had at Lowes or HD. You can find them on sale for $450-$850.
They usual include a side burner and rotis.

For good 'ole Texas weekend BBQ, have the grill made.

I like the 36" steel pipe with the adjacent smoking chamber welded on.

You can have them made in any length, and they even come on an axle/wheels so you can tow them anywhere.

Price depends on yer hookup as far as materials/welding.

BTW, only burn mesquite, oak, or hickory.

Okieflyer
6/13/2007, 08:25 AM
This is probably not going to be that great for your cholesterol.

:O But what if I only do this once a month?

OU4LIFE
6/13/2007, 08:28 AM
BTW, only burn mesquite, oak, or hickory.

If by 'only' you mean 'you can' then I agree. I personally prefer the fruitwoods for smoking. Pecan, plum, apple are all good choices.

Mjcpr
6/13/2007, 08:29 AM
I personally prefer the fruitwood

Yes Hairy, we know.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/13/2007, 08:54 AM
Do you grill or barbecue?

How often?

There's a difference, you know.

Norm In Norman
6/13/2007, 09:19 AM
If you mean BBQ as in grilling, well, I'd say whatever you get you need cast iron grates and some sort of adjustable height between the charcoal and said grates. I love my chargriller (http://www.chargriller.com/) for grilling. They sell one at Sam's that looks pretty much exactly like the one Alton Brown uses on his show.

If you mean BBQ as in smoking, the weber smoky mountain is definitely your cheapest way to go. Boarder uses one - he'll tell you. It's really easy to use and pretty much foolproof. If you are a glutton for punishment (like me), you can get a side fire box for the chargriller. It makes an awesome product, but if it's windy you have to watch it quite a bit to keep the temperature constant.

The BGE is supposed to be awesome, but it's 5 times (or more) the price as the WSM. I hear you can grill with it too (are there cast iron grates?). I'd like one but I am on a poor man's budget and can't afford it. I don't know the prices for the different sizes. btw, ellison feed in Norman is having a BGE demonstration June 30. That's for you guys who live in Norman.

Norm In Norman
6/13/2007, 09:26 AM
I'll type slower next time.

CobraKai
6/13/2007, 09:30 AM
I would recommend a Hasty Bake. They are money, plus its an Oklahoma company.

Okieflyer
6/13/2007, 09:49 AM
Do you grill or barbecue?

How often?

There's a difference, you know.

Not very, but I would like too.

85Sooner
6/13/2007, 10:52 AM
If you mean BBQ as in grilling, well, I'd say whatever you get you need cast iron grates and some sort of adjustable height between the charcoal and said grates. I love my chargriller (http://www.chargriller.com/) for grilling. They sell one at Sam's that looks pretty much exactly like the one Alton Brown uses on his show.

If you mean BBQ as in smoking, the weber smoky mountain is definitely your cheapest way to go. Boarder uses one - he'll tell you. It's really easy to use and pretty much foolproof. If you are a glutton for punishment (like me), you can get a side fire box for the chargriller. It makes an awesome product, but if it's windy you have to watch it quite a bit to keep the temperature constant.

The BGE is supposed to be awesome, but it's 5 times (or more) the price as the WSM. I hear you can grill with it too (are there cast iron grates?). I'd like one but I am on a poor man's budget and can't afford it. I don't know the prices for the different sizes. btw, ellison feed in Norman is having a BGE demonstration June 30. That's for you guys who live in Norman.

The BGE uses a ceramic covered grill space that sears like nothing I have ever used before. It really is weird how cool these things are. I got one because I like to grill and smoke and was tired of having to replace cooking grates, ignitors, etc.... These are very 1,2,3 easy to use for even a novice and 699 isn't too bad. I cook out 3 to5 times a week so it was worth it and I decided not to get the dcs grill (3k) because the BGE does so much. QUesadillas were awesome last night using leftover ribeyes from the night before. Its cool.

Norm In Norman
6/13/2007, 11:02 AM
I can't comment on the ceramic grates as I've never used them, but I love my cast iron grates just like I love my cast iron skillet. I'd really like a BGE but I just can't pay that much, especially since every little thing is an add on. I figure I'd need the stand and at least the platform that hooks on it.

Is there some sort of adjustment between the fire and the grates? I frequently like to sear my food with the fire right next to the food then cook it the rest of the way with the fire farther away from the food. I'm probably going to look at that demo in a couple of weeks.

85Sooner
6/13/2007, 12:08 PM
I can't comment on the ceramic grates as I've never used them, but I love my cast iron grates just like I love my cast iron skillet. I'd really like a BGE but I just can't pay that much, especially since every little thing is an add on. I figure I'd need the stand and at least the platform that hooks on it.

Is there some sort of adjustment between the fire and the grates? I frequently like to sear my food with the fire right next to the food then cook it the rest of the way with the fire farther away from the food. I'm probably going to look at that demo in a couple of weeks.

Don't need to move the fire. When that puppy gets to 700+ degrees and you open it up flames get to the food. When you shut the top they go back down so they don't burn the food.

Its like this, Get fire to 700 degrees (10-15 minutes) Open top and put steaks on grill. close lid and count to 120. open lid and flip steaks. close lid and count to 120. open lid and take steaks off to rest. perfectly seared, and marked and rare lookng like a steak off an ad and taste even better. it really is that easy.

Okieflyer
6/13/2007, 12:12 PM
I'd really like a BGE but I just can't pay that much, especially since every little thing is an add on. I figure I'd need the stand and at least the platform that hooks on it.

This is the thing that bothers me about it too. It looks great, and I trust 85Sooner, but why are they charging so much for the stand and other addons?

No comments about me trusting 85Sooner;)

Okieflyer
6/13/2007, 12:13 PM
Don't need to move the fire. When that puppy gets to 700+ degrees and you open it up flames get to the food. When you shut the top they go back down so they don't burn the food.

Its like this, Get fire to 700 degrees (10-15 minutes) Open top and put steaks on grill. close lid and count to 120. open lid and flip steaks. close lid and count to 120. open lid and take steaks off to rest. perfectly seared, and marked and rare lookng like a steak off an ad and taste even better. it really is that easy.

I like that!:D

85Sooner
6/13/2007, 12:57 PM
This is the thing that bothers me about it too. It looks great, and I trust 85Sooner, but why are they charging so much for the stand and other addons?

No comments about me trusting 85Sooner;)

You can just built a stand and cut a circle in the top and set it in there.

I bought mine and put it in a prefab outdoor stucco kitchen counter that was tiled on top. great workspace although I do nee to get a cabinet to store my toys and a trashcan to hold all the empty beer cans. seriously!

Rogue
6/13/2007, 07:43 PM
Head Country sauce for cooking. But not for dipping.

I usually buy the cheapest gas grill at the waltmartses, use it like hell for a few years until it isn't worth saving, then replace it. I'm not a grill snob obviously. I once took 2nd place in a West Texas rib cookoff with a nasty little grill like this on it's last leg. The d00ds with their garage sized pull behind trailer BBQs and professional setups laughed at me. Until they tasted the ribs and knew they were in some serious trouble. A very good friend came by late and cast the deciding vote for 1st place - for the other guy. He knew which ribs were mine and just thought the other d00ds were better. He also knew I smuggled Head Country down and didn't approve of using "Okie" sauce. :D

GottaHavePride
6/13/2007, 10:02 PM
Dry rub for the cooking. Sauce for after. ;)

SCOUT
6/13/2007, 10:14 PM
THE BIG GREEN EGG.(699.00) I got one a few months back and it is truely the most amazing cooker I have ever had. Easiest to use, no clean-up, food tastes fantastic. ten minutes of practice and you can control the temp from 180-700 with in 2 or 3 degrees for extended periods with no work. Clearly lives up to every story I have heard. ( i thought they were all bs'in but nope its all true)

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features.htm

I second everything 85Sooner said in this post. I bought one about a year ago and absolutely love it. It is very easy to use and versatile too. I have used it for cooking Thanskgiving turkey to potatoes and everything in between.

I would give the big green egg an A+.

Norm In Norman
6/14/2007, 01:20 PM
Head Country sauce for cooking. But not for dipping.
Au contraire! The hickory smoke head country is one of my favorites for dipping.

CUinNC
6/14/2007, 01:27 PM
Siriusly - this 9-Burner should do it for ya;) ...now available @ Costco $1400.00
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/ProductLarge/203057LL.jpg

I_SMELL_FEAR
6/14/2007, 02:46 PM
If by 'only' you mean 'you can' then I agree. I personally prefer the fruitwoods for smoking. Pecan, plum, apple are all good choices.

Agreed. mesquite, hickory or oak are good, but the fruitwoods are good as well. I prefer pecan myself.

Petro-Sooner
6/14/2007, 02:50 PM
What about Balsa wood? Great flavor from it?

AlbqSooner
6/14/2007, 08:29 PM
For starters I would also recommend a cheapy wal-mart type grill. If you find that you are not really into grilling, you will not be out a bunch of money. If you DO get into it, the cheapy will have let you know what elements you want in a replacement. I have heard, and in the past agreed with the charcoal > propane argument. However, if you have adequate amounts of lava rock in the propane, it gives as much flavor as charcoal after a few uses. With a new propane, put a fatty meat on and get the rocks a bit greasy, kinda like seasoning a cast iron skillet.

Hickory is a very distinctive flavor and is my personal choice. Oak, mesquite, and pecan work well too if that is the flavor you are after. I have only used fruitwoods when smoking fish or seafood. Apple is my choice there.

Hasty Bake, in addition to being an Oklahoma company makes a very high quality product. They also let you return the thing for a make-over when it begins to show age with the burners, grill, or internal surfaces. (At least they used to.)

phead903
6/14/2007, 08:35 PM
Dry rub for the cooking. Sauce for after. ;)

Exactly - Dry rub for cooking - bring out the flavor of the meat and then use sauce only for highlighting the smoke flavor you have acheived...

TopDaugIn2000
6/15/2007, 08:49 AM
I realize this is not cooked outside on a grill/smoker/whatever, but you GOTTA try this recipe.

Beer Braised BBQ Pork Butt

For the dry rub:
2 tablespoons salt
About 40 grinds black pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground mustard seed
12 ounces good ale or dark beer, such as Bass
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 5-pound pork butt (shoulder of the animal)

Combine rub ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Rub all over pork butt. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour and as long as overnight.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Unwrap pork and place in a roasting pan with sides about 2 inches high. Cook 45 minutes until dark browned and even blackening in places. Remove from oven. Lower oven to 325 degrees F. Pour beer over the top and add chopped garlic around the pork. Cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil or twice with regular foil. Poke about 10 holes all over the top of the foil. Cook pork butt 2 1/2 hours longer until so tender that it comes away very easily from center bone.

Place the meat on a plate and pour the pan juice (there will be plenty) into a saucepan. To the pan juices add:

1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
Bring to a simmer until reduced by half and thick, about 20 minutes.

While the sauce is boiling down, pull apart the pork with 2 forks. Pour the sauce over the pulled pork and work through until fully absorbed.

OU4LIFE
6/15/2007, 09:16 AM
No chicks allowed in the BBQ thread.

man's domain. *grunt*

TopDaugIn2000
6/15/2007, 09:24 AM
I take ANY of you men folk on in a BBQ match. SRSLY

OU4LIFE
6/15/2007, 09:33 AM
EATING, or cooking?

TopDaugIn2000
6/15/2007, 09:42 AM
BOTH

OU4LIFE
6/15/2007, 09:57 AM
unpossible.

Mjcpr
6/15/2007, 09:58 AM
Room.

OU4LIFE
6/15/2007, 09:58 AM
you might stand a chance in the 'vacuuming' or 'sandwich making' or 'clothes washing' contests though.

OU4LIFE
6/15/2007, 09:59 AM
Room.

oooh, Pat's edgy.

catfight.

Newbomb Turk
6/21/2007, 08:32 PM
Two questions:

1 - Flyer - did you buy a grill or smoker?

2 - Who won, TD2K or Hairy?

TopDaugIn2000
6/21/2007, 09:34 PM
me, by a mile.

oh wait....

Okieflyer
6/22/2007, 07:25 AM
Two questions:

1 - Flyer - did you buy a grill or smoker?

Not yet. I have to get baseball season done. Every weekend has been filled. That's the life of competitive baseball I guess. He better not just say "Hi mom!" when he's on TV someday. ;)

But there are some good ones. Now I think I need two.:O

2 - Who won, TD2K or Hairy?

I don't know, but I wish I could have been there.:D I think:confused:

Where's all there the recipes Newbomb, guys? I need help. (with the food, not mentally...I think)

Newbomb Turk
6/22/2007, 07:29 AM
smoking or grilling recipes?

Newbomb Turk
6/22/2007, 07:32 AM
good rib info in this thread.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71375&highlight=ribs

Okieflyer
6/22/2007, 07:34 AM
smoking or grilling recipes?

Give me what you got. I have to start doing this before I become like this dood.:O

http://imagesource.allposters.com/images/pic/153/924236~Super-Size-Me-Posters.jpg

Boarder
6/22/2007, 01:34 PM
Stop wasting your time and just go here: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve

Lots of dudes and dudettes who know what they're talking about. I frequently smoke a large quantity and can buy 3 Weber Smoky Mountains (WSMs) to one Big Green Egg (I have 2 WSMs right now and can do around 12-14 pork butts or 20-24 slabs of ribs at a time depending on the size). But, i'd really like to have one (Big Green Egg). I really should just skip the demo June 30th. It will be dangerous I can already see.

Pecan wood is the best. I need to visit Dean again, I'm getting low.

And, I now prefer the Rancher charcoal that Home Depot has. It's cheap, burns longer, and makes far less ash than that new Kingsford. And, I was a Kingsford guy for sure. The new stuff (Kingsford) is really annoying on long smokes. I'm sure it'd be fine for grilling.

Petro-Sooner
6/22/2007, 01:40 PM
What about Palm tree wood?

Boarder
6/22/2007, 01:46 PM
Man, that brisket looked good in the rib thread that was linked. I'm out and need to do some more.

Boarder
6/22/2007, 01:47 PM
If you're Gilligan and nave no other choice I guess it'd be ok. I'm sticking with pecan.

Okieflyer
6/26/2007, 08:07 AM

I think I would prefer that over Red Cedar....I think.:confused:

Okieflyer
6/28/2007, 06:45 AM
my only advice is that charcoal owns propane.

http://www.mnpropane.org/images/guy.jpg

That must be why they left him out of the commercial!

By the way, should you boil ribs before you fire them on the grill?

Newbomb Turk
6/28/2007, 07:03 AM
By the way, should you boil ribs before you fire them on the grill?

if you like crappy ribs then yes, knock yourself out.

Okieflyer
6/28/2007, 07:13 AM
if you like crappy ribs then yes, knock yourself out.

So if you boil them be prepared to "de-crap" them too?:confused:

Kind of like shrimp?

Newbomb Turk
6/28/2007, 07:20 AM
So if you boil them be prepared to "de-crap" them too?:confused:

smoke em - 6 hours on a smoker. 3-2-1 method. See link I provided.

Kind of like shrimp?

I make shrimp on the gas grill - either skewer them or grill them on this grill plate thingy I have. No boiling them in this case either.

Okieflyer
6/28/2007, 07:23 AM
I make shrimp on the gas grill - either skewer them or grill them on this grill plate thingy I have. No boiling them in this case either.

Nothing wrong with boiled shimp. :P

Newbomb Turk
6/28/2007, 07:28 AM
Nothing wrong with boiled shimp. :P

I agree - grilling them is just another way to make them.

Now boiled ribs, there IS something wrong with that.

:lwm: :dean: