PDA

View Full Version : I've noticed Florida's name on a lot of OUr prospects' lists...

goingoneight
6/13/2007, 12:41 AM
Not that I'm worried, just interesting. Seems Stoops, and Co. has a lot in common with Meyer, and Co.

Anyone else noticed this?

PAW
6/13/2007, 10:23 AM
Both recruiting the cream of the crop. More interesting to me is the number of recruits with both OU and Arizona on their list.

Scott D
6/13/2007, 11:28 AM
Florida is the current flavor of the month. Once they sink into mediocre seasons in the SEC they won't be as high on lists....especially if Saban can revive Alabama.

NS5
6/13/2007, 11:42 AM
Florida is the current flavor of the month. Once they sink into mediocre seasons in the SEC they won't be as high on lists....especially if Saban can revive Alabama.

This is the real story.....

Big Ed Gator
6/14/2007, 12:46 PM

I don't know about that. Saban would have to replace us as the recruiting force in this state, and that isn't happening. Our roster is filled with mostly Florida kids-75-80%. We're going national because we can take 16 kids this year and we have alot of interest nationally because of our success; that happens. If we can't get out of state kids, we can do well by taking the kids from this state and still dominate and win our games. There's more than enough talent coming out of this state to support alot of colleges (Florida, FSU, Miami, USF, Auburn, et.al.)
You guys thinking we're going to go back to being mediocre ('86-'89 was our last mediocre seasons, haven't had a losing season since '79)is more wishful thinking on y'alls part.
In short, the big 3 of Florida (UF, FSU, Miami) 'ain't' goin' nowhere.

snp
6/14/2007, 02:04 PM
Part of the reason is Florida has offered a crapload of kids this year. Moreso than any other team.

Miami and FSU haven't gone anywhere the past couple years.

goingoneight
6/15/2007, 01:00 AM
Nothing wrong with it, I like te Gators, actually. Stoops does, too. :D

The cream of the crop comment hit the nail on the head, though.

A lot of people were asking me at work the other day why OU has so many commits already, and the best thing I could think of is that all of those Texas kids are wising up to the fact that USC, Texas and LSU (among other perrenial powers) are STACKED with top recruiting classes. And young contributors like Colt McCoy don't really help you land top HS talent. Shiny trophies and great coaching win over recruits, but oppurtunity is still a HUGE factor.

Scott D
6/15/2007, 01:34 PM
I don't know about that. Saban would have to replace us as the recruiting force in this state, and that isn't happening. Our roster is filled with mostly Florida kids-75-80%. We're going national because we can take 16 kids this year and we have alot of interest nationally because of our success; that happens. If we can't get out of state kids, we can do well by taking the kids from this state and still dominate and win our games. There's more than enough talent coming out of this state to support alot of colleges (Florida, FSU, Miami, USF, Auburn, et.al.)
You guys thinking we're going to go back to being mediocre ('86-'89 was our last mediocre seasons, haven't had a losing season since '79)is more wishful thinking on y'alls part.

I think you misunderstood my post. We're talking recruiting on a national level, not a state of Florida level. Right now you guys are the flavor of the month, you've taken the mantle for flavor of the month away from USC. Personally I think this is a good thing.

As for the mediocrity thing, as a college football fan, you should know that according to the overlords at ESPN and other sports stations/papers, anything less than undefeated now is your team being mired in mediocrity.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/15/2007, 01:54 PM

That's just silly, "Big Ed". Miami and FSU are already "gone", relatively speaking. (Not that Miami doesn't have a fair chance of upsetting us this year.) And you just pulled out of the very (again, in relative terms) mediocre Zook era.

"Y'all"*** have plenty of mediocre left in you. I don't think he was implying you would fall back into mediocrity in general, just that you'll no longer be at the head of the recruits' lists when you do have a couple of mediocre seasons. And you will. College football is very cyclical that way. Perhaps you haven't noticed.

***Ugh. Ever notice how some posters use "Y'all" in prose in an attempt to make themselves appear more Southern than everyone else? (Texicans, of course, being the primary violators.) How much more fun it would be to read Robert E. Lee's Civil War letters if only they could be peppered with a whole bunch of "Y'all's". :rolleyes:

KingDavid
6/16/2007, 12:44 PM
the big 3 of Florida (UF, FSU, Miami) 'ain't' goin' nowhere.

. . . we'll revisit this conversation early in the Fall.

Sooner74
6/16/2007, 10:41 PM
FSU and Miami are in as much of a drought of recent sucess as OU is. Reason being is who cares if your 2nd or 29th in the NCAA you still arn't the champion and everyone should consider that mediocre.

snp
6/16/2007, 11:55 PM
Uh, no. That's completely unrealistic and not true at all. You think people consider LSU and Maryland equals?

Miami and FSU are one year removed from finishing a game above .500. ou is a year removed away from a Big 12 championship and a 11 win season

insuranceman_22
6/17/2007, 11:52 PM
Thank you SuperNinja!

goingoneight
6/18/2007, 01:07 AM
:les: THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS F***ING FALLING!!!

Sooner74
6/27/2007, 11:56 PM
F*** that. If we arn't winning it all we might as well be as good as Maryland.

Seamus
6/28/2007, 01:07 PM
Nonsense.

Of course we want to win it all every year. But in our 100 year+ history we've done it just seven times.

Does that make us an unsuccessful program? Be realistic, d00d.

Collier11
6/29/2007, 11:46 AM
FSU and Miami are in as much of a drought of recent sucess as OU is. Reason being is who cares if your 2nd or 29th in the NCAA you still arn't the champion and everyone should consider that mediocre.

This is the most inaccurate and rediculous statement that I have seen on here in a while

Collier11
6/29/2007, 11:47 AM
Id much rather be big 12 champ and go to the BCS than be 6-6, thanks though!

Sooner74
6/29/2007, 06:46 PM
Nix what I said. Just passionate about winning and not settling for a Big 12 championship with a team that was and is completly capable.

Big Ed Gator
9/19/2007, 02:39 PM
And you just pulled out of the very (again, in relative terms) mediocre Zook era.

"Y'all"*** have plenty of mediocre left in you. I don't think he was implying you would fall back into mediocrity in general, just that you'll no longer be at the head of the recruits' lists when you do have a couple of mediocre seasons. And you will. College football is very cyclical that way. Perhaps you haven't noticed.

After 3 games, so far so good. We're playing mostly underclassmen (47) on the team. The offense is way ahead of where they were this time last year. Hopefully our defense will come around and we'll be a complete team. It will be a giant task to win in Red Stick come October. Even with the injuries, LSU looks scary good.

***Ugh. Ever notice how some posters use "Y'all" in prose in an attempt to make themselves appear more Southern than everyone else? (Texicans, of course, being the primary violators.) How much more fun it would be to read Robert E. Lee's Civil War letters if only they could be peppered with a whole bunch of "Y'all's". :rolleyes:

Ugh! Ever notice how people love to insult or degrade people just so they can feel superior? Actions like that reminds me of how some people try to act when they think their race, social standing, or culture is "better"? You stay classy soonerboy_odanorth.:rolleyes:

insuranceman_22
9/19/2007, 09:52 PM
Don't count it yet, the Sooners are young relatively speaking. It'd be nice if the Sooners and Gators met in New Orleans for the MNC......

LSUdeek
9/21/2007, 04:18 PM
Don't count it yet, the Sooners are young relatively speaking. It'd be nice if the Sooners and Tigers met in New Orleans for the MNC......

Fixed

Saban will be unable to bring Alabama beyond 9-3 or so. He will not be able to take recruits out of Louisiana (really, really bad rep), and he will not be able to take kids away from Florida.

What he WILL do, however, is get Tuberville out of a job at Auburn.

Desert Sapper
9/22/2007, 11:36 AM
Heh. I don't care who the Sooners meet in Nawlins come January. As long as Bob is holding up the Crystal Football in the end. #8's been a long time coming.