PDA

View Full Version : OU & Banned Substances!

Sooner-N-KS
6/12/2007, 08:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2902438

We keep reporting this stuff and get in trouble while USC doesn't cooperate and walks free. :mad:

utex74
6/12/2007, 09:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2902438

We keep reporting this stuff and get in trouble while USC doesn't cooperate and walks free. :mad:

It's not like your guys were being fed steroids and other substances that everyone knew were illegal for months or years. You checked the substance and returned it to the manufacturer (who I assume OU no longer does business with). In my opinion there is nothing to worry about here. (Curious what the substance was, though.)

OU Adonis
6/12/2007, 10:18 PM
After reading another article its pretty amazing what the NCAA limits.

Your not allowed to take ANY muscle building substances. You can only take things that provides calories or electrolytes.

AimForCenterMass
6/12/2007, 11:51 PM
I wonder what the NCAA considers 'muscle building' supplements. Muscle building as in anabolic supplements, or protein which can help to build muscle?

Whatever they're on, I want some.

goingoneight
6/12/2007, 11:52 PM
NORMAN, Okla. -- Football players at Oklahoma were given two nutritional supplements banned by the NCAA before the school's compliance department detected the error and stopped the practice.

According to documents obtained Tuesday through an open records request by The Associated Press, Oklahoma self-reported to the Big 12 Conference that it committed a secondary violation of NCAA bylaws last fall by providing "two nutritional supplements that contained impermissible substances."

Oklahoma blamed one violation on a nutritional company inadvertently shipping a banned substance it identified as "an identical product bearing the same name" as a legal product that had been ordered by the university. In the second instance, Oklahoma reported the football program's strength and conditioning staff failed to review the ingredients of a new nutritional supplement.

Both supplements were given to athletes before the mistakes were detected during a routine check by compliance staff. The remainder of the supplements were returned to the company that provided them.

The report did not identify the supplements, what amount was used or how much was sent back. Oklahoma spokesman Kenny Mossman said he was unfamiliar with the supplements and was not able to comment on the situation.

NCAA bylaws allow schools to provide "only nonmuscle-building nutritional supplements" that give athletes additional calories or electrolytes.

The university reported strength coach Jerry Schmidt and assistant Scott Kolok "are fully aware of and understand NCAA legislation regarding permissible supplements. However, in these two instances, they did not exercise caution and perform a proper review of the [ingredients] due to their assumption that the two supplements were permissible."

Oklahoma, which won the Big 12 title last season before losing to Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl, is awaiting a final decision on an NCAA infractions case regarding extra payments given to former starting quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn through their employment at a Norman car dealership.

Oklahoma also reported that it committed a secondary violation when co-offensive coordinator Kevin Sumlin called a football prospect the same week coach Bob Stoops had telephoned him and another when three prospects were shown lockers with jerseys featuring the numbers they wore in high school.

The university said the prospects involved in the violations all committed to play at other schools.

Oklahoma also provided the NCAA with an update on compliance changes prompted by an investigation into nearly 600 impermissible phone calls made by former men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff.

Oklahoma also reported secondary violations by a women's volleyball coach who provided a media guide to a high school sophomore and a former track assistant who invited a track prospect to campus before he had been enrolled at the university. The track prospect was never allowed to attend Oklahoma.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

For those who don't wanna click the link. :D

GrapevineSooner
6/13/2007, 12:01 AM
The report did not identify the supplements, what amount was used or how much was sent back. Oklahoma spokesman Kenny Mossman said he was unfamiliar with the supplements and was not able to comment on the situation.

And until these questions get answered, this is pretty much a non-story.

85sooners
6/13/2007, 12:02 AM
:hot:

goingoneight
6/13/2007, 12:16 AM
"In other news, a guy with an OU hat on, close to Norman, Oklahoma reports that he thought he saw someone maybe text messaging recruits. But that could have been anyone they were texting. Even went as far as to say they could be playing Tetris on their phone. Yes sir, OU's on the hot seat right now."

"USC's John David Booty is scheduled to appear on MTV's "Cribs" this fall from his $3 Million home in LA. Did we mention they're Number One again??? YAY!!!"

TripleOption14
6/13/2007, 07:13 AM
The NCAA is ridiculous with what athletes are allowed to take and what they are not allowed to take. Im surprised they have not tired to get rid of the grey area that exist with supplements. I know for a fact that some simple protein drinks are banned which to me seems COMPLETELY assinine because one can basically get the same protein from simply eating a steak or chicken.

mikeelikee
6/13/2007, 08:40 AM
I wonder, does any other school EVER self-report anything? Sometimes the way these stories come out, it seems like some folks out there think just about every program in America (except ours) is squeaky-clean. :mad:

DeBarr
6/13/2007, 08:53 AM
I agree that many of the NCAA restrictions are unnecessarily burdensome, but with our current situation there is no excuse for us to be in violation of any NCAA rule or restriction.:mad:

Sure, stuff like this pales in comparison to the whole Reggie Bush fiasco at SC, but that is not the point, and should not be our concern. Pointing the finger at someone else's bigger mistakes does not make our mistakes nonexistant or any less excusable.

Be it a big deal or nothing at all, this is exactly the kind of crap that our program does not need right now. Hopefully it was an honest mistake, and the NCAA will recognize that.

The_Red_Patriot
6/13/2007, 09:12 AM
So how did OU miss this one?

Im tired of us getting into crap. Who is suppose to overlook this?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/13/2007, 09:22 AM
So how did OU miss this one?

Im tired of us getting into crap. Who is suppose to overlook this?We are definitely one of their whipping boys. It's one part of the Switzer legacy that is not so good.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/13/2007, 09:30 AM
Isn't the NCAA soon to announce the final disposition on their penalties for the Bomar/Quinn incident any day, now? Maybe this "banned substances" report came out just in time to influence that disposition?

stoopified
6/13/2007, 09:41 AM
We are definitely one of their whipping boys. It's one part of the Switzer legacy that is not so good.
Not to cause a stink but it is hardly Switzer's legacy alone.We went on probation 3 times under Bud,once under Switzer(the early probation('73-'75) was under FairbanksFairbanks.

The_Red_Patriot
6/13/2007, 09:43 AM
yea, Bud did some things........not very good.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/13/2007, 10:03 AM
It says the AP uncovered this in an "open records request". There is no mention of when these violations occurred or when they were reported. So, it may be old news to the NCAA.

CincySooner
6/13/2007, 10:21 AM
It says the AP uncovered this in an "open records request". There is no mention of when these violations occurred or when they were reported. So, it may be old news to the NCAA.

why now though? It seems like every time a problem is about to be resolved something else pops up. Looks like my #1 off-season wish for the team to stay out of the papers will not be fulfilled :(

Ash
6/13/2007, 10:25 AM
Some, hopefully, good news coming out with this is that the compliance department is being expanded to include more staff. So this kind of stuff falling through the cracks will happen less often.

OnlyOneOklahoma
6/13/2007, 10:58 AM
i really hope that this stuff is legitimately falling through the cracks. our program has a great future for the next few seasons (NC fo sho) i would hate to see the NCAA look at this then look at Bomar and throw the book at us.:hot:

FtwTxSooner
6/13/2007, 11:05 AM
I've had it with all the newspapers filling out those freedom of information act requests trying to dig up dirt against OU. Why don't these guys to the same to UT or A&M? All schools do these minor things, but never make it to the press.

The NCAA needs to just make any and all of these self reported violations open to the public.

boomersooner28
6/13/2007, 11:21 AM
Could we please stop the "self-reporting"? It isn't getting us anywhere but rheemed by the media. I know we are trying to look like the good guys by "self-reporting", but the NCAA doesn't give a damn if you report it, JimBob reports it, or the blue hair down at the market reports it. :mad:

TheUnnamedSooner
6/13/2007, 11:23 AM
why now though? It seems like every time a problem is about to be resolved something else pops up. Looks like my #1 off-season wish for the team to stay out of the papers will not be fulfilled :(

Because of the Bomar thing. If that wouldn't have happened no one would care. No one would care if this thing happened at a&m or ut, b/c they are not under the microscope at the moment. I bet other schools are self-reporting small infractions like this, it's just no big deal b/c they aren't waiting on a judgement from the ncaa.

CatfishSooner
6/13/2007, 01:52 PM
****in ****!

garland sooner
6/13/2007, 02:02 PM
it's little things like this that make me despise the press/media.

SoonerBOI
6/13/2007, 02:03 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

cantwait48
6/13/2007, 03:44 PM
"We keep reporting this stuff and get in trouble"
when did we get in trouble?

This type of thing should keep us out of trouble, the compliance office is doing what it is supposed to do, no program can possibly be totally clean with all stupid rules that the ncaa has so when we do find out something we report it. This article is just rediculous spun bull crap being spewed by the media, all schools report secondary violations like these.

AimForCenterMass
6/13/2007, 04:00 PM
Okay, I'm curious about the substance part, so correct me if I'm wrong. The players are allowed to use the supplements, they're just not allowed to be issued by the school?

or

Are the substances they were using banned altogether?

oumartin
6/13/2007, 08:52 PM
I'll bet more than half the universities have these minor things every darn day. the fact is Its Oklahoma and thats why its news.

soonerhubs
6/13/2007, 10:15 PM
I'll bet more than half the universities have these minor things every darn day. the fact is Its Oklahoma and thats why its news.
Bingo. The media considers it newsworthy because it's OU. And it's important to note the fact that Reggie "the piece of trash cheating sack of crap" Bush isn't cooperating at all with NCAA officials. Why? Because apparantly he doesn't have to. I give props to CNNSI for Mandel and the other reporter making editorial remarks about how Bush should step up and talk. But he won't, because he's a weasle who is evading the truth quicker and smoother than any defense he ran against. He'd rather just keep it mum and let it get swept under the rug. In the mean time, I feel it's everyone in the media who has the duty to rehash how USC is getting away with so much more than Oklahoma.

I'd like to think that the FOIA release was the only reason the story broke this week. Unfortunately my observation is that timing is connected to what gets the BEST RATINGS. Case in point: The Yahoo Story coming up both before Bush's Season began and after it ended.

According to Mandel, if Bomar would have been caught after going pro, he would have been able to just tell the NCAA to **** off.

That's just my take on it at least.

goingoneight
6/13/2007, 10:45 PM
Fact is, it's not right. And if sports fans are going to attack Barry Bonds, Bomar, and all those other guys for cheating the systems set in place, they better be ready to take the heat when it comes full circle and happens to their "team." Remember the 'Bama fans who made jokes about us in the late 80's and 90's? Yeah, they're pretty much quiet and sympathetic after they got their hammer dropped on them.

Methinks the only way USC is gonna get the hammer is if Carroll leaves within the next few years, and they start sucking again. Then the media and the USC alumni won't care about hearing this kind of stuff. They'll be able to blame Coach X or AD Y, whatever.

Rhino
6/13/2007, 10:49 PM
Remember this (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/other/2005-05-09-texas-tamu-supplements_x.htm) from a few years ago? No? That's because it was a very minor thing (http://www.brianbehrend.com/links/archives/sports/index.php?page=5).

"I'm not concerned about any of it," DeLoss Dodds, UT's men's athletic director, said of Sunday's article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. In a prepared statement, Dodds added, "The NCAA has advised us that this is not an NCAA reporting issue."
Virginia Tech, which last year admitted to a secondary violation of NCAA rules because its strength coach had arranged for players to buy creatine at a discount. The penalty in that case was minor.

"Basically, what we've been told is just don't let it happen again," David Chambers, Virginia Tech's senior associate director of athletics for external affair, told the Roanoke Times & World News in November.

Doged
6/14/2007, 04:32 AM
Last fall, OU reported a minor violation involving the supplements being given student athletes (yes, this is that old). Today ESPN is all over it and other sources are picking it up.

Last fall, Kansas was placed on 3 years of probation (https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.MajorInfPackage.DisplayMICase?p_PkValue=629&p_HeadFoot=1&p_CallCount=1&p_Name=University%20of%20Kansas&p_HeadingTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDupl icated&p_SummaryTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDupl icated&p_PenaltyTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDupl icated&p_PublicTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDupli cated&p_AppealTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDupli cated) for academic fraud on the football team and providing improper benefits, including cash, to basketball players. Today, no one gave a good rat's arse.

Go figure.

TripleOption14
6/14/2007, 07:17 AM
Okay, I'm curious about the substance part, so correct me if I'm wrong. The players are allowed to use the supplements, they're just not allowed to be issued by the school?

or

Are the substances they were using banned altogether?

This is some of the "grey area" that I was talking about earlier. The substance is banned altogether. But the thing is couldn't the athlete just buy the product themselves and use them and keep it to themselves? No one would ever know right? Now im not talking about steroids or anything that is illegal to buy in the first place but things like BCAA's and protein drinks.

Another thing that is quacky about parts of the supplement rule is that a S&C coach can use Gatorade products. However, Gatorade also makes protein drinks as well and they are fair game to give to players. Really tarded when one looks hard at the rule.

Tear Down This Wall
6/14/2007, 04:18 PM
Hooray, the strength and conditioning coach's defenders gloss over the fact that he did give the substance to players and that the university did find fault with his actions:

The university reported strength coach Jerry Schmidt and assistant Scott Kolok "are fully aware of and understand NCAA legislation regarding permissible supplements. However, in these two instances, they did not exercise caution and perform a proper review of the [ingredients] due to their assumption that the two supplements were permissible."

I don't know why this is surprising to anyone. The athletic department over the past few years and made "assumptions" about how the men's gynmastics program and basketball program were handling recruiting. And, about how the football players' job were going down at Big Red Sales. We should just change the name of the school to University of Assumptions.

And, as always, at the top of the food chain and not commenting is the athletic director.

Keep ignoring the signs, folks. Turning the athletic department into a marketing/fundraising department at the expense of paying attention to details will continue to get us into these little messes...or at least until the NCAA gets tired of it.

Anyway, continue to gloss over the problems and defend everyone involved.

crimson2
6/14/2007, 05:42 PM
deleted

snp
6/14/2007, 07:01 PM
The sky is falling!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070614_2__TheUn62667&breadcrumb=Breaking%20News

utex74
6/14/2007, 08:53 PM
Could we please stop the "self-reporting"? It isn't getting us anywhere but rheemed by the media. I know we are trying to look like the good guys by "self-reporting", but the NCAA doesn't give a damn if you report it, JimBob reports it, or the blue hair down at the market reports it. :mad:

UT and A&M self reported in 2005 for close to the same thing. And BTW, those substances are not banned, they just cannot be given to players by staff. The players can get them on their own and take them to their hearts' content. Perfectly legal. Stupid rule. Not exactly steroids we're talking about here.

KantoSooner
6/14/2007, 09:52 PM
You are correct, Utex, about the players being able to buy and take them on their own. The 'violation' is simply to provide them to the players. Any idea what the NCAA is driving at here? Are the supplements supposed to represent some sort of non-monetary compensation? (C'mon down to OU, boy! We got free vitamins!! What a deal!!!) I often have trouble understanding what the NCAA is on about; can you help me with the rationale here? Maybe if the companies wanted to put up a little kiosk just off campus, they could give them to players free of charge?

soonerboomer93
6/15/2007, 06:17 AM
actually they can provide vitamins to the players

it's honestly, some soft of over administrated program that is designed to prevent the use of banned substances. It's also probably designed to lower the risk of member schools since supplements aren't exactly regulated

Taxman71
6/15/2007, 09:00 AM
OU got in trouble for providing Endurox R4? That is only a recovery drink with the 4:1 ratio of carbs to proteins. I use it during marathon training and it keeps you from getting "dead legs". Ridiculous.