PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2007 US Open Thread

Petro-Sooner
6/12/2007, 04:27 PM
I forget the hole but I read there is a 288 yrd. par 3. :eek:
Can't wait for it to start. My favorite tournment all year.

soonernation
6/12/2007, 04:29 PM
I forget the hole but I read there is a 288 yrd. par 3. :eek:

I think it's 8. Tiger was asked about it today and he said "It's great to have a drivable par 4".

Petro-Sooner
6/13/2007, 11:08 AM
Link to Thursday and Friday tee times and groupings.

http://www.usopen.com/scores/groupings.html

Petro-Sooner
6/13/2007, 11:11 AM
Just found out a 12 year old qualified for the womens open. Good golly.

Petro-Sooner
6/14/2007, 09:15 AM
So I guess they are allowing lefty to wear his wrist band. Why is that? Isnt that a type of aid?

Hello????

Is this thing on?

Mjcpr
6/14/2007, 10:23 AM
They're not exactly all shooting in the 80's like everyone was whining about.

Not yet anyway.

Petro-Sooner
6/14/2007, 10:26 AM
Man I had an Open thread up but it got moved to the general sports forum. They are letting lefty wear his brace. Isnt that a type of aid to his swing?

Boomer.....
6/14/2007, 10:29 AM
He needs to wear a bro.

Petro-Sooner
6/14/2007, 10:30 AM
I wonder what they are hitting on the number 8 par 3. 3 wood?

Mjcpr
6/14/2007, 10:34 AM
Man I had an Open thread up but it got moved to the general sports forum. They are letting lefty wear his brace. Isnt that a type of aid to his swing?

No wonder I couldn't find it....we usually have them here. :confused:

They had a big meeting about it yesterday with the USGA and it was determined to be acceptable. I saw that on the Golf Channel last night.

Petro-Sooner
6/14/2007, 10:39 AM
I saw something about that to but was on the phone at the time.

Scott D
6/14/2007, 10:43 AM
I like the fact that DirecTV has given me 4 new channels all dedicated to the US Open.

Flagstaffsooner
6/14/2007, 11:01 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about the messican border.

Fugue
6/14/2007, 11:12 AM
No wonder I couldn't find it....we usually have them here. :confused:

They had a big meeting about it yesterday with the USGA and it was determined to be acceptable. I saw that on the Golf Channel last night.

The USGA and the Golf Channel now are telling us which forum to put threads in? Those bastards have their hands on everything. :mad:

King Crimson
6/14/2007, 11:34 AM
it's a Police State.

OU4LIFE
6/14/2007, 11:41 AM
He needs to wear a bro.

racist.

Mjcpr
6/14/2007, 11:43 AM
They have a ****ty leaderboard online.

r5TPsooner
6/14/2007, 11:55 AM
I like the fact that DirecTV has given me 4 new channels all dedicated to the US Open.

Hell yeah.

Mjcpr
6/14/2007, 12:02 PM
This leaderboard works pretty well. (http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/leaderboard)

Toms at -3, Tiger at +2 so as usual he's digging himself an early hole.

soonernation
6/14/2007, 12:27 PM
This leaderboard works pretty well. (http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/leaderboard)

Toms at -3, Tiger at +2 so as usual he's digging himself an early hole.

Toms bogied 5 fo the last 6 and ended up +1. Tiger also finished +1.

Mjcpr
6/14/2007, 12:32 PM
Toms bogied 5 fo the last 6 and ended up +1. Tiger also finished +1.

I guess that leaderboard is behind then. How hard is it to get an up to date leaderboard online?

-2 leads it....+1 isn't bad. It doesn't seem to be playing as hard as they thought it would.

soonernation
6/14/2007, 12:51 PM
I guess that leaderboard is behind then. How hard is it to get an up to date leaderboard online?

-2 leads it....+1 isn't bad. It doesn't seem to be playing as hard as they thought it would.

The leaderboard on The_Golf_Channel (http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=10100&select=9622&select2=0&select3=99) stays caught up OK. As the day goes on +1 will get better and better.

Fugue
6/14/2007, 12:57 PM
:pop:

OU4LIFE
6/14/2007, 01:04 PM
if you go to the US Open site, they have live streaming webcast. that leaderboard is pretty good.

Petro-Sooner
6/14/2007, 01:07 PM
Todd Hamilton isnt doing to well. 7 over the last I checked.

EDIT: Finished the day 11 over.

Mjcpr
6/14/2007, 01:08 PM
Todd Hamilton isnt doing to well. 7 over the last I checked.
He was on The Sports Animal the other day and he told them he thought the reason he sucked after winning the Cow Pasture Open was because he thought that was as good as he would ever do or something like that. :confused:

Seemed like an odd thing for a pro golfer to admit.

Mjcpr
6/15/2007, 10:55 AM
There is one person under par so far today.

King Crimson
6/15/2007, 10:58 AM
Tiger's 71 is looking better and better. which means Dolemite and the other Tiger bandwagon bunny humpers will post in this thread tomorrow.

course looks GREAT. IMO.

Mjcpr
6/15/2007, 11:00 AM
Tiger's 71 is looking better and better. which means Dolemite and the other Tiger bandwagon bunny humpers will post in this thread tomorrow.

I'm already here. :D

King Crimson
6/15/2007, 11:01 AM

i wasn't gonna say it outright. ;)

King Crimson
6/15/2007, 11:36 AM
Sooner Anthony Kim gets a little TV time just now. Chris Berman is awful.

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2007, 11:44 AM

Me too. I've been in the Tiger camp since Day 1.

King Crimson
6/15/2007, 12:26 PM
Me too. I've been in the Tiger camp since Day 1.

humper. BTW, i recommend not doing a GIS for "humpers".

FYI. :vomit, :wow.

Petro-Sooner
6/15/2007, 12:59 PM
Chris Berman is awful.

Agreed!!!

Scott D
6/15/2007, 01:45 PM
hah! Channel 217 rocks.... I have the benefit of Scott Van Pelt doing the coverage with 0 Berman...it ROCKS.

Petro-Sooner
6/15/2007, 01:51 PM
I"m hearing the cut may be at 10 or 11 over.

colleyvillesooner
6/15/2007, 01:56 PM
yep, projected at +10 right now. Could get worse too

Scott D
6/15/2007, 02:31 PM
I was hoping it'd slide back to +7 so that Vijay could go Vifishing.

sooneron
6/16/2007, 11:17 AM
Agreed!!!
No one could be worse than Berman.

I like Van Pelt mucho bettah, but he just said that Eldrick is "poised" to win another major. Uh, poised is reaching. I'm sure he would rather be sitting at +3 . Plus, he's not a come from behind guy on Sunday. no heart.

KC//CRIMSON
6/16/2007, 06:37 PM
No one could be worse than Berman.

I like Van Pelt mucho bettah, but he just said that Eldrick is "poised" to win another major. Uh, poised is reaching. I'm sure he would rather be sitting at +3 . Plus, he's not a come from behind guy on Sunday. no heart.

Don't look now, but somebody has a heartbeat.........

sooneron
6/16/2007, 06:58 PM
Don't look now, but somebody has a heartbeat.........
He's two strokes down, this may be the year he does it. Baddeley is prolly going off at even odds that he chokes. I think if Furyk puts a run together, he can do something.

Mjcpr
6/16/2007, 10:45 PM
I'll be surprised if Baddeley keeps his bowels intact for the entire 18 holes.

King Crimson
6/17/2007, 12:26 AM
17 is a lot of fun to watch. i would not be surprised at all to see Eldrick make up 2-3 shots right out of the gate tomorrow. the way he hit the ball today looked a lot more like 65 than the 75 a few guys will throw out tomorrow.

sooneron
6/17/2007, 10:08 AM
17 is a lot of fun to watch. i would not be surprised at all to see Eldrick make up 2-3 shots right out of the gate tomorrow. the way he hit the ball today looked a lot more like 65 than the 75 a few guys will throw out tomorrow.
That was an iron striking clinic that he put on yesterday.

sooneron
6/17/2007, 10:22 AM
Today's pin placements are sick!@!!

http://www.usopen.com/course/locations/sunday.html

sooneron
6/17/2007, 02:16 PM
Baddeley just gave the round away on the first hole. Double bogey.

King Crimson
6/17/2007, 02:23 PM
it's mos def "on". 11 players within 3 shots of the lead, is that what they said?

uh oh Eldrick.

sooneron
6/17/2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, oops

sooneron
6/17/2007, 03:00 PM
That Bethpage commercial brings back memories...

King Crimson
6/17/2007, 03:07 PM
hard to believe that was 5 years ago.

sooneron
6/17/2007, 03:34 PM
hard to believe that was 5 years ago.
That seems a lifetime ago..

I was in tiger-like shape, now, I hate him for his conditioning.

Enough of the Zach J commercial!!!!!!

sooneron
6/17/2007, 03:46 PM
4 way lead for the title, this should be good.

sooneron
6/17/2007, 03:52 PM
Baddeley needs this bogey...

sorry kid

SleestakSooner
6/17/2007, 04:17 PM
That seems a lifetime ago..

I was in tiger-like shape, now, I hate him for his conditioning.

Enough of the Joaquin Phoenix commercial!!!!!!

What do you have against hairlips?:texan:

SleestakSooner
6/17/2007, 04:19 PM
Verplunk is about to go into Poke Choke mode. How many former Cowboys were on the leader board after Friday and are now nowhere to be seen?

soonernation
6/17/2007, 05:28 PM
Cabrera is going to choke it away.

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2007, 06:22 PM
Looks like Cabrera may be the winner unless Tiger can finally do something

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2007, 06:23 PM
Tiger hit a pretty good shot and still has about 25 ft to send this to a playoff

trwxxa
6/17/2007, 06:54 PM
Obligatory "Does anyone find it ironic that a Hispanic won the U.S. Open?" post. :D

JohnnyMack
6/17/2007, 07:30 PM
Boy did Eldrick play not to lose today or what? Way too tentative IMHO.

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2007, 09:08 PM
Boy did Eldrick play not to lose today or what? Way too tentative IMHO.
I'm not sure that was his strategy, but if he could have made a couple of putts he would have won this thing going away; he was deadly on the short par putts, but couldn't make a birdie much over 5 feet from what i saw

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2007, 09:09 PM
but i will add that i'm getting damn tired of these foreigners coming over here and winning our national tournament; that makes 4 in a row that have been won by foreigners that have won very little in their careers until winning the Open

Sooner24
6/17/2007, 09:20 PM
but i will add that i'm getting damn tired of these foreigners coming over here and winning our national tournament; that makes 4 in a row that have been won by foreigners that have won very little in their careers until winning the Open

That's because when you take out Woods and Mickelson, when he isn't choking one off, there aren't a lot of great US golfers out there. Tiger Woods should never lose a major, if he isn't in traction or on life support, simply because there aren't a lot of guys that can finish a tournament on a consistent basis.

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2007, 10:27 PM
That's because when you take out Woods and Mickelson, when he isn't choking one off, there aren't a lot of great US golfers out there. Tiger Woods should never lose a major, if he isn't in traction or on life support, simply because there aren't a lot of guys that can finish a tournament on a consistent basis.
Good point; Tiger, Furyk, and Mickelson are just about it for US players right now; what happened to Davis Love, Justin Leonard, David Duval, David Toms, and the other US guys that should be fixtures at the majors? Maybe they are all too content with cashing those top 10 checks every week to adequately prepare for the majors like you need to.

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2007, 10:28 PM
But even Tiger is human; he's had the lead at some point in the final round of both majors this year and has lost them to relative unknowns; maybe he's even bored now without anyone to challenge him on a regular basis

Sooner24
6/17/2007, 10:42 PM
But even Tiger is human; he's had the lead at some point in the final round of both majors this year and has lost them to relative unknowns; maybe he's even bored now without anyone to challenge him on a regular basis

In both cases, Tiger has had a lost look on his face in the final round of those tournaments. The third hole today may be the worst I have ever seen him look in a tournament. In the past the other guys were so pscyhed out they just wilted but Tiger is the one that has choked both times. Like I said, if he has a pulse, there should be no real competition for Woods.

Petro-Sooner
6/18/2007, 09:10 AM
yesterday was the first time I got a chance to see the whole course. I can see why they wear saying it was so hard. Did Tiger have a birdie Sunday? Even if you do hit it in the fairway the greens are so difficult I can see why all the high scores. What a round yesterday!!

King Crimson
6/18/2007, 09:25 AM
i don't think Tiger had much chance to run away with it. i've never seen him as demonstrative about how much he was struggling with his swing. the consecutive one hand off the club follow throughs, etc. in the past, he buries that mentally and puts it behind him.

if anything, Cabrera is the one who missed consecutive, very makable birdie putts on back to back holes. he makes those and he's up by 4 or 5.

Furyk hit a pretty bad yank left on 18. not as bad as the one he hooked into the water at the Ryder Cup, but somewhat similar. makes me wonder. those are probably the last two "pressure" shots he's had and hit pretty ugly shots.

all said, Tiger hit two good shots on 17 and 18 (bad break on the lie, i thought) just the greens wouldn't hold out of the half flier lie on 18 and not making birdie was killer on 17. he had to be thinking all week that hole was a huge advantage coming down the stretch (17). though, Cabrera hits it a mile, too, obviously.

Mjcpr
6/18/2007, 09:31 AM
Tiger had 35 putts on Saturday when he shot a 69. I don't know how many he had yesterday but it couldn't have been much better. If he putted at all, he would've won this going away. He is definitely not the same Tiger but he's not bad.

JohnnyMack
6/18/2007, 09:37 AM
Tiger had 35 putts on Saturday when he shot a 69. I don't know how many he had yesterday but it couldn't have been much better. If he putted at all, he would've won this going away. He is definitely not the same Tiger but he's not bad.

I don't remember him getting in much trouble off the tee or heading into the green (he ended up in the occassional rough spot, but nothing serious), but I didn't think his short iron play gave him much of a chance. He had very few birdie puts that were less than 12 feet. Then when he got to the greens he putted like he was scared of the greens.

Mjcpr
6/18/2007, 09:42 AM
They said he didn't make a putt over 12 feet in the four days of play....whether that was the case or not, I don't know but he didn't putt worth a ****.

35 putts? Really? That's not very good at all for a tour pro.

Scott D
6/18/2007, 09:52 AM
those greens were terrible, way too much sloping on them

Mjcpr
6/18/2007, 10:08 AM
those greens were terrible, way too much sloping on them

That must be why they never have the US Open there over the last 100 years. ;)

Petro-Sooner
6/18/2007, 10:16 AM
Anyone know the criteria to host an Open? Wondering why Oak Tree hasnt hosted a major since it hosted the PGA back in the 80s.

OU4LIFE
6/18/2007, 10:23 AM
too short by todays standards.

Oak Tree hosted the Senior PGA last year.

King Crimson
6/18/2007, 10:47 AM
there's a lot of internal politics in the USGA. and additionally, an overwhelming Northeast/and to a lesser degree midwest (rust belt, Chicago) bias to the overall body. Oak Tree is not a course that really fits the "traditional" image it likes to project for itself. it's a much better "profile" fit for the PGA--. Southern Hills, on the other hand, makes a good fit for the USGA bluebloods to come out to the Provinces.

also, for a course to host the US Open (that hasn't before, or is trying to get back "in the running" like Merion--which is desperately trying to get one more Open since it will be too short in the near future) they usually have to sign off on a "test run" and host at least the Amateur or something--which means a disruption of member play, club usually operates at a loss, etc.

the US Amateur, however, was held at Oak Tree....in 84, I believe.

Oak Tree also had a lot of financial instability in the 90's, and they may have scared a major away. and wasn't the 96 PGA was supposed to be at Oak Tree but moved to SH.

edit: should say 1994 PGA in the last sentence.

Scott D
6/18/2007, 11:26 AM
That must be why they never have the US Open there over the last 100 years. ;)

and players who were at the last Open there were among the first to talk about how the course had changed.

Hamhock
6/18/2007, 12:09 PM
Anyone know the criteria to host an Open? Wondering why Oak Tree hasnt hosted a major since it hosted the PGA back in the 80s.

it's 'causin OKC SUCCS

sooneron
6/18/2007, 12:19 PM
it's 'causin Edmond SUCCS
fixed

Mjcpr
6/18/2007, 12:30 PM
and players who were at the last Open there were among the first to talk about how the course had changed.

You said greens. They said on the telecast these greens have never been re-built since the original Oakmont course.

Newbomb Turk
6/18/2007, 10:23 PM
after watching the final round tape-delayed (in my case) that was good stuff. Tiger had a horseshoe up his *** this final round and couldn't take advantage of it - he had the best bounces all day long.

Although I would have liked to see Furyk win, I'm happy for Cabrera. He was so damn nervous and he held it together.

Turd_Ferguson
6/18/2007, 11:31 PM
I'm happy for Cabrera. He was so damn nervous and he held it together.
He wasn't nervous, he was drunk on tequila and jalapenos.

King Crimson
6/19/2007, 09:08 AM
after watching the final round tape-delayed (in my case) that was good stuff. Tiger had a horseshoe up his *** this final round and couldn't take advantage of it - he had the best bounces all day long.

Although I would have liked to see Furyk win, I'm happy for Cabrera. He was so damn nervous and he held it together.

with Baddeley and Appelby both shooting 80 and mangling the last few holes--Cabrera probably waited 30-45 minutes longer than he would have with a normal pace of play. that must have seemed like eternity.

Angel was also stealing a smoke about every chance he could. so much so, they stopped trying to hide it on the coverage.

Tiger hit some of weakest, meagerly putts on breakers for birdie i've ever seen him hit. 2-3 never even sniffed the cup.

Mjcpr
6/19/2007, 09:09 AM
Tiger hit some of weakest, meagerly putts on breakers for birdie i've ever seen him hit. 2-3 never even sniffed the cup.

He's got a family to feed now, maybe he was just trying to stay in the money.

r5TPsooner
6/19/2007, 09:22 AM

I agree. Tiger definitely got the best bounces but his putting just killed him all week. However, he is TW and I was expecting his putt on 18 to go in but it didn't.

I was pulling for Furyk as well but I'd like to see the guy actually get an endorsement deal so that he could wear better shirts and a structured cap.:D