PDA

View Full Version : USMC gnougher ubowturs

Hamhock
6/12/2007, 03:44 PM
I'm looking at a resume. The guy has military experience listed as: USMC 1998-99, DD214 upon request.

1. i thought you were in the marines for 4 years?
2. what is a dd214?

tia

Mjcpr
6/12/2007, 03:46 PM
Dishonorable Discharge form?

Hamhock
6/12/2007, 03:46 PM
Dishonorable Discharge form?

do you have a clue what you are talking about?

Vaevictis
6/12/2007, 03:47 PM
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/dd-214.html

Google is your friend.

Mjcpr
6/12/2007, 03:48 PM
do you have a clue what you are talking about?

I was close. :D

olevetonahill
6/12/2007, 03:50 PM
DD 214 is his a basic copy of his military record.
Ya need to see what he has done

jk the sooner fan
6/12/2007, 03:51 PM
dd form 214 is your discharge certificate - it captures all of your service with awards and dates of service

Hamhock
6/12/2007, 03:51 PM
why am i the only one who gets the smart-assed "Google is your friend"?

Half the freaking questions on this pos bored could be answered by google.

i'm interested in some insight about the form that a marine might have. besides, your little google link didn't answer the 4year/2year question.

Vaevictis
6/12/2007, 03:54 PM
i'm interested in some insight about the form that a marine might have. besides, your little google link didn't answer the 4year/2year question.

DD-214 ain't unique to the USMC, so no special insight there.

A cousin of mine joined up at about that time, he eventually went for the Army, but I recall him saying that if you joined as infantry in either the USMC or the Army, minimum active duty agreement was two years. Of course, links on Google say four, so... :D

And the smart *** "Google is your friend?" There's a shadow conspiracy against you. Watch your back :D

KABOOKIE
6/12/2007, 03:54 PM
dd form 214 is your discharge certificate - it captures all of your service with awards and dates of service

And your type of pending discharge. Assuming you don't go to an anti-war rally in your uniform and tell an 0-7 to "F off".

It's not uncommon for people to recieve a medical discharge. I would request his DD214 and give it a review.

Frozen Sooner
6/12/2007, 03:55 PM
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=marine+corps+term+of+enlistment&btnG=Google+Search

swardboy
6/12/2007, 03:56 PM
:pop:

Frozen Sooner
6/12/2007, 03:56 PM
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=marine+corps+term+of+enlistment&btnG=Google+Search

:D

jk the sooner fan
6/12/2007, 03:57 PM
the problem with the discharge, at least for army types, is that they have a "re-enlistment" code - which tells you if they are eligible to join again, if they arent, there's a reason - thats what you need to know

but the 214 will tell you why he was only in for 2 years, like kabookie said, could have been a medical discharge

Sooner in Tampa
6/12/2007, 03:59 PM
Me smells a rat unless he has a physical ailment.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/12/2007, 04:07 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pos+bored

Hamhock
6/12/2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-22,GGLG:en&q=board+full+of+smart+asses

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/12/2007, 04:09 PM
Heehehehehehe...

Vaevictis
6/12/2007, 04:10 PM
Conspiracy!

Sooner in Tampa
6/12/2007, 04:18 PM
Quit threadjacking fuggers...this is a Marine thread.;)

Get back to the discussion at hand.

Hamhock
6/12/2007, 04:20 PM
so do most marines serve 2 or 4?

Sooner in Tampa
6/12/2007, 04:23 PM
so do most marines serve 2 or 4?The "general rule of thumb" is 4 years...6 was pretty common also.

Like JK said, find out what type of dishcarge he got...and if you can get his re-enlisment code...anything less than a 1 something is suspect.

Scott D
6/12/2007, 04:37 PM
wrong answer CSF..the proper reply is "Google is your friend" :D

Hamhock
6/12/2007, 04:39 PM
i wish there was a way to kick people out of my thread.

Scott D
6/12/2007, 04:40 PM
oh you wanted a serious response. Pretty much everyone in this day and age has it 4-6 years mandatory minimum service due to the current situation.

usmc-sooner
6/12/2007, 04:46 PM
so do most marines serve 2 or 4?

You sign up for 8. 4 active and 4 inactive. However you could also do any number of years due to stop losses and other things. The guy probably was a reserve and may still be on IRR or he may have had a medical discharge. Sometimes people get hurt and they are physically incapable of serving in the USMC.
Hopefully this isn't the case but he may have been seperated due to conduct, drugs or other things.

Marines also have a re-enlistment code that will tell you if he was eligible to re-enlist.

I think all this is pretty standard for all branches and not unique to the USMC. My advice is to ask him why the 2 year term. What was his rank, what type of discharge, ask his MOS for a Marine it's a 4 digit number, see where he was discharged from.

Paperclip
6/12/2007, 04:49 PM
You sign up for 8. 4 active and 4 inactive. However you could also do any number of years due to stop losses and other things. The guy probably was a reserve and may still be on IRR or he may have had a medical discharge. Sometimes people get hurt and they are physically incapable of serving in the USMC.
Hopefully this isn't the case but he may have been seperated due to conduct, drugs or other things.

Marines also have a re-enlistment code that will tell you if he was eligible to re-enlist.

I think all this is pretty standard for all branches and not unique to the USMC. My advice is to ask him why the 2 year term. What was his rank, what type of discharge, ask his MOS for a Marine it's a 4 digit number, see where he was discharged from.

Oh, like you know.

Harry Beanbag
6/12/2007, 04:55 PM
I've heard of a lot of guys doing 2 year active duty stints. That's the minimum active service requirement to be able to use the GI Bill.

I served a 6 year contract in the Navy due to the NEC (same as MOS) I signed up for, so the length of active commitment depends on what specialty you're going to have in most cases.

usmc-sooner
6/12/2007, 04:59 PM
I've heard of a lot of guys doing 2 year active duty stints. That's the minimum active service requirement to be able to use the GI Bill.

I served a 6 year contract in the Navy due to the NEC (same as MOS) I signed up for, so the length of active commitment depends on what specialty you're going to have in most cases.

Harry were you ever stationed in Norfolk?

Scott D
6/12/2007, 05:00 PM
nobody is stationed in Norfolk...they "serve time" in Norfolk :D

critical_phil
6/12/2007, 05:02 PM
I'm looking at a resume. The guy has military experience listed as: USMC 1998-99, DD214 upon request.

1. i thought you were in the marines for 4 years?
2. what is a dd214?

tia

post again after receiving the DD214.

unless things have changed in the past 10 years, the member gets 2 copies of the DD214. one is only 3/4 of a page in length, and doesn't give any clues as to why the member was discharged. (wow, that sentence is probably going to excite Howzit).

make sure he provides the full copy that characterizes the release from active duty (honorable, general, OTH) and reenlistment code.

Harry Beanbag
6/12/2007, 05:03 PM
Harry were you ever stationed in Norfolk?

Nope. Orlando, Idaho Falls, then Bremerton, WA. Pacific Fleet for me.

usmc-sooner
6/12/2007, 05:04 PM
nobody is stationed in Norfolk...they "serve time" in Norfolk :D

that's no lie.

I had a house like half a mile from one of the entrances to NOB, It was about 3 miles from the Norfolk beach, about 3 miles from Old Dominion University. Wasn't that far from a cool neighborhood called Ghent and it wasn't very far from some of the finest ghettos Va has to offer.

Although I liked it better than Camp Lejeune.

Harry Beanbag
6/12/2007, 05:05 PM
post again after receiving the DD214.

unless things have changed in the past 10 years, the member gets 2 copies of the DD214. one is only 3/4 of a page in length, and doesn't give any clues as to why the member was discharged. (wow, that sentence is probably going to excite Howzit).

make sure he provides the full copy that characterizes the release from active duty (honorable, general, OTH) and reenlistment code.

Yep. According to mine, the long sheet is labeled as Member 4 and contains blocks 23-30

usmc-sooner
6/12/2007, 05:07 PM
Nope. Orlando, Idaho Falls, then Bremerton, WA. Pacific Fleet for me.

what the hell does the Navy do in Idaho?

critical_phil
6/12/2007, 05:09 PM
nuc-u-lar school.

Vaevictis
6/12/2007, 05:09 PM

Get the incumbent re-elected?

Harry Beanbag
6/12/2007, 05:14 PM

They've been doing nuclear power research out in the desert there for like 60 years. The prototypes for two submarines and the aircraft carrier Enterprise are there, all decommissioned now. There is still some interesting stuff happening out there though I'm sure.

Jimmy Carter trained there back in the 50s.

usmc-sooner
6/12/2007, 05:15 PM
They've been doing nuclear power research out in the desert there for like 60 years. The prototypes for two submarines and the aircraft carrier Enterprise are there, all decommissioned now. There is still some interesting stuff happening out there though I'm sure.

Jimmy Carter trained there back in the 50s.

cool,
I did not know

I thought maybe as a recruiter.

Scott D
6/12/2007, 05:25 PM

same reason the closed down the basic training facility in Florida and solely use the one in Illinois now ;)

Okla-homey
6/12/2007, 05:52 PM
As a retired perfeshinul military officer, I would never employ a purported veteran who has not furnished me with a copy of his "long form" DD214 for my inspection.

Too many "drugstore heroes" out there these days. Heck, for all we know he could have been in Marine JROTC his freshman and sophomore years in high school. Also, I ditto previous posters who have advised you to check into his discharge category.

Now, that said, remember, sometimes guys get tossed out for smoking a fattie or due to an "overabundance of youthful exuberance" as manifested in a violation of the UCMJ. The military puts people in jail or otherwise hammers folks for stuff that would only be a misdemeanor if commited by a civilian. I ain't complaining, because our standards have to be higher because we kill people and break things for a living. Just stating a fundamental fact.

Frankly, I would also always give the guy an interview and see what he has to say for himself even if his DD214 looks suspect. After all, he served, and that ought to count for something (it sure does in my book) and just because he might have gotten in a barracks fistfight (or two) a long time ago doesn't mean he'd be a bad employee.

My two cents.

olevetonahill
6/12/2007, 06:13 PM
Spek to homey
right on

Rogue
6/12/2007, 07:30 PM
My hitch was 2 years. 1990-1993. Had to be 2 years in a combat MOS after Basic TNG and AIT to get my GI Bill and College Fund. Most folks can't "read" a DD214 even though they think they can.

Also, atomic city is in the desert near Arco, Idaho. First atomic powered city, thus the name. Used to be called INEL, Idaho National Engineering Laboratories. Might still be. Folk from Idaho Falls ("IF") and Pocatello park at places like the Kmartses and bus to the desert every day. Security there is tight. Dad used to haul gasoline there in a tanker once in awhile. Took forever just to get a few d00ds to authorize unloading. He has a great story about how it was like 3 1/2 hours one time because they kept having to take their mandatory breaks. He was :mad: as hell.

"Your best bet, hire a vet."

Okla-homey
6/12/2007, 07:33 PM
My hitch was 2 years. 1990-1993. Had to be 2 years in a combat MOS after Basic TNG and AIT to get my GI Bill and College Fund. Most folks can't "read" a DD214 even though they think they can.

I quite agree. One thing to check out is to see if the number of "Good Conduct" awards matches the time in service.;)

AggieTool
6/12/2007, 07:56 PM
I quite agree. One thing to check out is to see if the number of "Good Conduct" awards matches the time in service.;)

Good conduct awards were given in 4 year increments until recently. Now they are every 3 years. Depending on when he served, he may not have one.

Also, you can "not" get a good conduct award and still get an honorable discharge.

I know many who served over 20 years, but didn't get good conduct awards every time due to minor NJPs.

usmc-sooner
6/12/2007, 07:57 PM
One of my Marines got a DUI, he was allowed to serve 6 years active duty, but not allowed to re-enlist. He was a damn good Marine and I wrote a couple of letters hoping it would help him re-enlist. I'd trust that kid with my life, or any job I had.
I used to think he'd break or snap after being demoted, but he handled everything like a Marine should. He never bitched or whined when I gave him ****ty tasks to do. He was one of my LCpls when he got busted down to Pvt. yet his focus never wavered, he finally made it to the rank of Sgt. with the help of a few meritorious promotion boards.
If I owned a company, I'd call him and beg him to work for me.

Rogue
6/12/2007, 07:59 PM
It's been 3 years for GCMs for some time now. I think Homey's sayin' that it's not inconceivable for a DD214 to be a fake. If a d00d served 5 years and has 3 GCMs listed, it's prolly a fake. I've seen fakes.

usmc-sooner
6/12/2007, 08:02 PM
Good conduct awards were given in 4 year increments until recently. Now they are every 3 years. Depending on when he served, he may not have one.

Also, you can "not" get a good conduct award and still get an honorable discharge.

I know many who served over 20 years, but didn't get good conduct awards every time due to minor NJPs.

what are you calling recent and what branch did your 20 year guys keep getting "minor NJP's"

I could be wrong but this doesn't sound quite right.

AggieTool
6/12/2007, 08:08 PM
what are you calling recent and what branch did your 20 year guys keep getting "minor NJP's"

I could be wrong but this doesn't sound quite right.

I know for the Navy, good conducts switched to 3 year increments in the mid-early '90s. However, service stripes stay gold in 4 year increments still. Hence, you could have more good conduct medals than gold service stripes.

NJP (ARTICLE 15) is not an automatic discharge or reenlistment inhibitor. It depends on the offense and high-year tenure if busted.

Many of my shipmates that have retired (mostly as E-8s, E-9s) made E-4 or E-5 twice due to drunken escapades in their youth.:)

1stTimeCaller
6/12/2007, 08:12 PM
I got a DD-213. That last number of mine is eyes only top secret.

usmc-sooner
6/12/2007, 08:18 PM
I know for the Navy, good conducts switched to 3 year increments in the mid-early '90s. However, service stripes stay gold in 4 year increments still. Hence, you could have more good conduct medals than gold service stripes.

NJP (ARTICLE 15) is not an automatic discharge or reenlistment inhibitor. It depends on the offense and high-year tenure if busted.

Many of my shipmates that have retired (mostly as E-8s, E-9s) made E-4 or E-5 twice due to drunken escapades in their youth.:)

I can see one NJP but several "minor NJP's" don't make a person promotable to E-9.

So "many" of your shipmates made it to E-8 and E-9? Still doesn't sound right.

I could be wrong, just sounds weird.

AggieTool
6/12/2007, 08:35 PM
I can see one NJP but several "minor NJP's" don't make a person promotable to E-9.

As long as the infractions happened fairly early on in their career, they could recover. The common selection board standard is 5 years of superior sustained performance.

Basically, all sailors are knuckleheads when they're in the late teens/early twenties (young-dumb-and-full-of-cu#).

Suerreal
6/12/2007, 11:22 PM
DD 214 = Report of Separation (DD indicates it is a Department of Defense form)

To someone with military experience, it contains a treasure trove of information. To someone without much military knowledge, it raises more questions than it answers.

Reasons for early separation:
Criminal activity
Drug Use
Personality disorder
Medical (includes pregnancy if a woman)
Overweight/flunking physical fitness tests
Flunked out of training
Hardship (illness in parent, spouse, child requiring fulltime presence of service member)

Bottom line:
If the resume looks good otherwise, I'd ask for the DD214, and invite him for an interview, and ask him about his military service. Realize that 1988-1989 could be as little as a couple months, or it could be two full years. The DD214 should be able to help clarify that.

Harry Beanbag
6/12/2007, 11:43 PM

Also, atomic city is in the desert near Arco, Idaho. First atomic powered city, thus the name. Used to be called INEL, Idaho National Engineering Laboratories. Might still be. Folk from Idaho Falls ("IF") and Pocatello park at places like the Kmartses and bus to the desert every day. Security there is tight. Dad used to haul gasoline there in a tanker once in awhile. Took forever just to get a few d00ds to authorize unloading. He has a great story about how it was like 3 1/2 hours one time because they kept having to take their mandatory breaks. He was :mad: as hell.

Yep. We used to call the buses the Big Yellow Sleeping Bag. Just another hour to nap for us folks on 12 hour rotating shifts. Nothing like standing on a street corner at midnight in January in freaking Idaho when it's 20 below zero waiting on a bus to take you to work for 12 hours. Good times. It kind of freaked me out a little when it snowed 2 feet one night in September and the Snake River (including the waterfall in the middle of town) froze, but I liked it up there.

It was still called INEL when I was there in '94-95. We were the second to last Navy class to go through then they shut it down. There's still a lot of civilian stuff going on out there as far as I know. It's cool when your workplace has guys walking around with AR-15's hanging off their shoulders.

Harry Beanbag
6/12/2007, 11:50 PM
As long as the infractions happened fairly early on in their career, they could recover. The common selection board standard is 5 years of superior sustained performance.

Basically, all sailors are knuckleheads when they're in the late teens/early twenties (young-dumb-and-full-of-cu#).

Maybe back in Reagan's 500 ship Navy when advancement was wide open. I was in Clinton's flaccid, shrinking Navy, and if you went to Captain's mast, your career was basically shot to hell. Not sure how it is now, but probably about the same.

And the knucklehead quotient of a sailor is directly proportional to their NEC and IQ, has nothing to do with their age.

Sooner in Tampa
6/13/2007, 05:33 AM
Although I liked it better than Camp Lejeune.HEH...I can't think of one place that I DON'T like better than Camp Lejeune. :)

AggieTool
6/13/2007, 07:39 AM
Maybe back in Reagan's 500 ship Navy when advancement was wide open. I was in Clinton's flaccid, shrinking Navy, and if you went to Captain's mast, your career was basically shot to hell. Not sure how it is now, but probably about the same.

And the knucklehead quotient of a sailor is directly proportional to their NEC and IQ, has nothing to do with their age.

I was in during Cliton's time too.

The whole reason for NJP is so commanding officers can exercise discipline without the need for criminal proceedings that would result in the loss of an otherwise good service member.

Unless the infraction required administrative discharge…like drugs, a sailor could recover and go on to have a successful career.

As far as rating/NEC determining the propensity of discipline problems...

I call bunk on that since most discipline problems arise during the first enlistment regardless of rate/NEC.

I've seen just as many technical ratings at mast as snipes and deck apes. This also applies to officers. In fact, some of the most egregious offenses I have observed were committed by JOs that thought they were smarter than the system.

The latest precep from the E7/8/9 selection boards suggests that a "zero defect" mentality of behalf of the board members isn't desirable. As long a s the last five years were of sustained superior performance.

Hamhock
6/13/2007, 07:46 AM
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/dd-214.html

Google is your friend.

good point. all of the information in this post is easily obtainable with a simple google search :rolleyes:

:texan:

Vaevictis
6/13/2007, 06:41 PM
Google is still your friend. :D

Frozen Sooner
6/13/2007, 06:48 PM
good point. all of the information in this post is easily obtainable with a simple google search :rolleyes:

Well, not the bits about bobcats.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2007, 07:21 PM

you couldnt be more wrong

since 1983 at the very least, good conduct medals are awarded every 3 years, i got 3 of them before I switched over to Warrant Officer

good conduct medals have NOTHING to do with honorable discharges

to get either a bad conduct or dishonorable discharge - you have to be court-martialed

to get an OTH - you have to be administratively discharged for misconduct.....granted the loss of a Good Conduct medal may be concurrent with an OTH, but they do not precipitate an OTH

edit - didnt realize you were Navy

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2007, 07:23 PM

doesnt sound right to me either

olevetonahill
6/13/2007, 07:29 PM

Then what the hell would we have to talk about ? ???????????
We seek SO advice Cause we want To:cool: :pop:

olevetonahill
6/13/2007, 07:36 PM
One year 11 months 24 days , 7an a 1/2 hrs ( used to know the minutes and seconds , But I got old and stuff )
I didnt get no stinking Good conduct thingy :cool:

AggieTool
6/13/2007, 07:54 PM
doesnt sound right to me either

We're not talkin' 'bout 20 NJPs a year. But there are some kids that get sent to the "Old Man" more than once before they get their act together.

AggieTool
6/13/2007, 08:01 PM
you couldnt be more wrong

since 1983 at the very least, good conduct medals are awarded every 3 years, i got 3 of them before I switched over to Warrant Officer

good conduct medals have NOTHING to do with honorable discharges

to get either a bad conduct or dishonorable discharge - you have to be court-martialed

to get an OTH - you have to be administratively discharged for misconduct.....granted the loss of a Good Conduct medal may be concurrent with an OTH, but they do not precipitate an OTH

edit - didnt realize you were Navy

That's right. Navy switched to three year increments in the early to mid '90s.

You might have not read previous posts for context. The issue was, if you could tell a person's service attributes by how many good conduct medals they had listed on a DD-214.

As you said, the amount of good conduct medals is not relevant to the type of discharge.

Example, a kid on a four year hitch could get NJP after two years. If he finishes his enlistment two years later, he might get an honorable discharge, but not have a single good conduct medal to show. Once you get NJP, the clock (3 or 4 years increments) starts over with regards to getting the good conduct medal.

soonerboomer93
6/13/2007, 08:01 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=GOOGLE+IS+YOUR+FRIEND&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2007, 08:24 PM
T

You might have not read previous posts for context. The issue was, if you could tell a person's service attributes by how many good conduct medals they had listed on a DD-214.

no, i got it....i've got 2 DD 214's, i understand their purpose

Scott D
6/13/2007, 08:29 PM
how much of this information is gotten from our friend google?

1stTimeCaller
6/13/2007, 08:42 PM
What about the ole NGB Form 68?

usmc-sooner
6/13/2007, 09:19 PM
If you want to know about the USMC, I'd ask CarolinaSoonerfan he's put in more time and work than me. Myself and Kabookie are also fellow Marines.

Scott D
6/13/2007, 09:46 PM
I say ask Google, because not only is it your friend, but it's smarter than these 3 misguided children put together :D

Harry Beanbag
6/13/2007, 09:55 PM
I was in during Cliton's time too.

The whole reason for NJP is so commanding officers can exercise discipline without the need for criminal proceedings that would result in the loss of an otherwise good service member.

Unless the infraction required administrative discharge…like drugs, a sailor could recover and go on to have a successful career.

Sure, I understand all that. A successful career doesn't always mean making Senior or Master Chief though.

As far as rating/NEC determining the propensity of discipline problems...

I call bunk on that since most discipline problems arise during the first enlistment regardless of rate/NEC.

I've seen just as many technical ratings at mast as snipes and deck apes. This also applies to officers. In fact, some of the most egregious offenses I have observed were committed by JOs that thought they were smarter than the system.

I still have to disagree with this. Sure most problems occur in the first enlistment, the troublemakers either realize they're in the wrong place or are forced out in different ways.

Some ratings require way more intelligence to get and effort to achieve/excel in though. I saw exactly two guys go to mast from Engineering on my ship, and one of them turned into an attaboy from the Captain after he saw the evidence. There were countless topsiders going all the time for various idiotic things.

The latest precep from the E7/8/9 selection boards suggests that a "zero defect" mentality of behalf of the board members isn't desirable. As long a s the last five years were of sustained superior performance.

You mean you're more likely to advance if you've had NJP? I don't buy that at all.

AggieTool
6/13/2007, 10:17 PM
Sure, I understand all that. A successful career doesn't always mean making Senior or Master Chief though.

If you haven't at least made E-7 (in the Navy) by 20, then there's a problem. I agree about 8/9 though, although arduous sea duty will always push one from 7-8 and beyond.

I still have to disagree with this. Sure most problems occur in the first enlistment, the troublemakers either realize they're in the wrong place or are forced out in different ways.

Some ratings require way more intelligence to get and effort to achieve/excel in though. I saw exactly two guys go to mast from Engineering on my ship, and one of them turned into an attaboy from the Captain after he saw the evidence. There were countless topsiders going all the time for various idiotic things.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Although I am twidget myself, I was also a SEA for two commands, saw all the mast cases, and chaired DRB. Youth, and immaturity seems to be the common thread in most discipline problems.

You mean you're more likely to advance if you've had NJP? I don't buy that at all.

Not sure how you arrived at that, but if you've ever heard sea stories from old crusty Master Chiefs, some seemed to be hell raisers in their youth.:)

Of course a peerless record leads to quicker advancement.
But leadership at sea, education, and combat assignments can also expedite advancement.

olevetonahill
6/13/2007, 10:20 PM
Swabbies suck Jar heads dicks :pop:

Harry Beanbag
6/13/2007, 10:30 PM
If you haven't at least made E-7 (in the Navy) by 20, then there's a problem. I agree about 8/9 though, although arduous sea duty will always push one from 7-8 and beyond.

Sure, that makes sense. But don't you have to be E-6 by 12 years or something like that or you're forced out? The 10 years since I've been out have foggied up my brain on those conditions.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Although I am twidget myself, I was also a SEA for two commands, saw all the mast cases, and chaired DRB. Youth, and immaturity seems to be the common thread in most discipline problems.

Okay, we both have our own observations, but I'll agree that youth of course contributes to idiocy.

Not sure how you arrived at that, but if you've ever heard sea stories from old crusty Master Chiefs, some seemed to be hell raisers in their youth.:)

Of course a peerless record leads to quicker advancement.
But leadership at sea, education, and combat assignments can also expedite advancement.

I took that from your statement I quoted about board members rejecting the zero defect mentality. Maybe I misunderstood.

I do remember a Senior Chief that we used to drink with that still had red stripes, he'd probably fall into this category. He had been on like 16 WESTPAC's or something ridiculous like that. He was awesome to party with though. :)

Harry Beanbag
6/13/2007, 10:31 PM
Swabbies suck Jar heads dicks :pop:

I always knew Marines were gay. ;)

olevetonahill
6/13/2007, 10:37 PM
I always knew Marines were gay. ;)
Ya know why EVERY ship Has a few Marines on em :eek:

olevetonahill
6/13/2007, 10:38 PM
Ya know why we always sent Jarheads ashore 1st ?;)

Vaevictis
6/13/2007, 10:44 PM

Yeah, but they let women on the ships now, right? So it would seem to me that they don't need em anymore.

Harry Beanbag
6/13/2007, 11:22 PM

We didn't have any. :O

olevetonahill
6/13/2007, 11:57 PM
We didn't have any. :O
Row boats dont count

KABOOKIE
6/14/2007, 08:06 AM
It's a little known fact that the Marines are a department of the Navy.......The Men's Department.