PDA

View Full Version : Hey OKC peeps! OKC visitors need your help!!

TUSooner
6/12/2007, 02:26 PM
The Region III Regional Soccer tournament for ages 14-19 is being held in OKC at the South Lakes complex from June 28-July 4.

Herds - I say HERDS - of soccer players and their families from 12 states will be coming to town. Unfortunately, it does not include my daughter's team, which folded easier than one of them new-fangled plastic road maps. But is does include a team or 2 from New Orleans. People are asking me what to do in OKC, because they think it's a dust bowl with tumbleweeds blowing in the streets.

What should they do when they aren't playing?
All I could think of off the top of my head is
*Go to Bricktown
*Eat Mexican food almost anywhere. I think the worst Mexican food in OKC is still probably pretty good, and probably better than the best Mex in NOLA (at least before the post-Katrina influx of Mexcican workers).

C'mon y'all, tout your city and say what's good.
TIA.

Mjcpr
6/12/2007, 02:29 PM
The OKC Bombing Memorial and Museum would be interesting for most anybody I'd think.

MamaMia
6/12/2007, 02:31 PM
All within 7 or 8 miles...

Bricktown District
Myriad Botanical Garden
National Cowboy Hall of Fame
Whitewater Amusement Park
Oklahoma City Zoo
Oklahoma National Bombing Memorial

sooner_born_1960
6/12/2007, 02:33 PM
Tell them to catch a tumbleweed rodeo, but wear a mask. For the dust.

Petro-Sooner
6/12/2007, 02:36 PM
Toby Keith's bar and grill. :D

TUSooner
6/12/2007, 02:37 PM
All within 7 or 8 miles...

Bricktown District
Myriad Botanical Garden
National Cowboy Hall of Fame
Whitewater Amusement Park
Oklahoma City Zoo
Oklahoma National Bombing Memorial

I might ought to mention that South Lakes is south of Will Rogers and west of Moore at about SW 119th & Meridian.

And SB1960: BITE ME!! (I mean that in the nicest possible way.) :D

Mjcpr
6/12/2007, 02:39 PM
Whitewater would be good for the kiddos.

The National Cowboy HofF on the other hand sounds boring as all hell.

Viking Kitten
6/12/2007, 02:46 PM
I might ought to mention that South Lakes is south of Will Rogers and west of Moore at about SW 119th & Meridian.

And SB1960: BITE ME!! (I mean that in the nicest possible way.) :D

In that case, take them all to Mustang for the 4th of July. In Mustang, they give you a ticket if you aren't setting off fireworks. Seriously, the whole town goes crazy that day, you can see it for miles. Which is why we spend every July 4th there, because I love blowing **** up.

Partial Qualifier
6/12/2007, 02:51 PM
Omniplex mebbe? Hey, it's air-conditioned :)

Hamhock
6/12/2007, 02:53 PM
Tulsa

BajaOklahoma
6/12/2007, 02:55 PM
Send them to VK's house for the 4th of July!

C&CDean
6/12/2007, 03:07 PM
I would have them go on a scavanger hunt without adult supervision up and down SW 29th. It ain't far from the park.

Viking Kitten
6/12/2007, 03:10 PM
"My team found the used condom."

"Yeah, but my team got back first with the bloody switchblade!"

Petro-Sooner
6/12/2007, 03:16 PM
I take it this is a "rough" area?

Viking Kitten
6/12/2007, 03:19 PM
All I know for sure that as far as police presence goes, it's Glen/Glenda's beat. (Our famous local transexual cop.)

Petro-Sooner
6/12/2007, 03:25 PM
Oh good grief. :mack:

TUSooner
6/12/2007, 04:09 PM
I would have them go on a scavanger hunt without adult supervision up and down SW 29th. It ain't far from the park.
I was thinking they might want to swing by the Deanderosa. Y'know, you could show the city boys some cow pies and dead coyotes and stuff. The kids from Lafayette might even share some roadkill recipes! (I'm sorry; I really like Lafayette.)

TUSooner
6/12/2007, 04:10 PM
All I know for sure that as far as police presence goes, it's Glen/Glenda's beat. (Our famous local transexual cop.)

That's something they'd remember for the rest of their lives.

TUSooner
6/12/2007, 04:13 PM
Did they finish that multimegamovie compound on the south side of Moore yet?

Hamhock
6/12/2007, 04:14 PM
Google is your friend.

critical_phil
6/12/2007, 05:05 PM
I take it this is a "rough" area?

yeah.

it's in between the 300,000 dollar homes and the 600,000 dollar ones.

BigRedJed
6/12/2007, 05:11 PM
Google is your friend.
No, the Frontier Country Marketing Association (http://www.oktourism.com/) is your friend.

Vaevictis
6/12/2007, 05:15 PM
Google is your friend.

Welcome to the conspiracy my friend.

MuhaHaHaHaUaHaHaUahAHaHaHAhahahaHaHAha

oklaclarinet
6/12/2007, 05:24 PM
Take them to the Yard Dawgz game on the night of June 30th.

GottaHavePride
6/12/2007, 07:39 PM
In that case, take them all to Mustang for the 4th of July. In Mustang, they give you a ticket if you aren't setting off fireworks. Seriously, the whole town goes crazy that day, you can see it for miles. Which is why we spend every July 4th there, because I love blowing **** up.

I'd recommend Yukon, actually. There's an outdoor concert in the park on July 3rd with a concert band doing a whole lot of stereotypical Sousa type stuff, and they throw the fireworks on for the end of Stars and Stripes Forever. Then they turn around and do the whole thing again on July 4, but with the OKC Philharmonic.

Sooner24
6/12/2007, 08:31 PM
I was thinking they might want to swing by the Deanderosa. Y'know, you could show the city boys some cow pies and dead coyotes and stuff. The kids from Lafayette might even share some roadkill recipes! (I'm sorry; I really like Lafayette.)

When you get there Dean will take you on a cattle drive.

http://www.pan.net/hollywood/westerns/photos/New-2.jpg

TUSooner
6/13/2007, 06:12 AM
Google is your friend.
Better than the SO? I kinda frikkin doubt it! :D

Okla-homey
6/13/2007, 06:51 AM
Oklahoma History Center foo! They got lots of cool stuff to look at. E.g. Land Run wagons, tapes of Gary England warning folks to take cover, Alfalfa Bill's boots, Will Rogers' duds, Wiley Post's airplane, store-bought pioneer wimmens dresses, and the original Osage shield OUr flag is modeled after.

Viking Kitten
6/13/2007, 07:26 AM
I'd recommend Yukon, actually. There's an outdoor concert in the park on July 3rd with a concert band doing a whole lot of stereotypical Sousa type stuff, and they throw the fireworks on for the end of Stars and Stripes Forever. Then they turn around and do the whole thing again on July 4, but with the OKC Philharmonic.

Sure, if you're into all that culture s***. Me, I just want to watch hillbillies blow their fingers off.

King Crimson
6/13/2007, 07:43 AM
roman candle and pop bottle rocket fights down at the South Canadian River.

TUSooner
6/13/2007, 07:49 AM
roman candle and pop bottle rocket fights down at the South Canadian River.

Now we're talking.

TUSooner
6/13/2007, 07:55 AM
Realistically, they probably won't have a bunch of time for big day-long events. And no coach worth a horsefart would consider letting a team go to a water park the day before a big game.
The 2 biggest questions will be:
Where can we eat?
Where's the nearest movie thee-ATE-er.

Nonetheless, I will pass along these gems and know that some amongst the herd will be interested.

King Crimson
6/13/2007, 08:11 AM
one of the original Chelino's on Western (?) is pretty dayum good, back to the original post. the smoke from the grill makes it hard to see inside in a beautiful way that would make you weep if your eyes weren't tearing up already and the beer goblets of lime-smeared Bohemia are awwsome.

forget Ringo Starr, tacos al carbon and an extra side of pico is all you need.

Taxman71
6/13/2007, 08:50 AM
Bricktown has plenty of eating establishments (cheap or expensive) and probably the nicest movie theater in town. It has become a hangout for local teens. They can see the Bricktown Ballpark across the street, BassPro next door or stroll the canal.

Hinton has an old fashioned small town rodeo on July 4 weekend every year.

TUSooner
6/13/2007, 09:11 AM
I hope to keep them off of 12th street in Moore :D

Taxman71
6/13/2007, 09:13 AM
I hope to keep them off of 12th street in Moore :D

I think that died when Winger broke up.

Petro-Sooner
6/13/2007, 10:00 AM
Oklahoma Natural history museum at OU. Really cool fossils of dinasaurs and what not.

Viking Kitten
6/13/2007, 10:03 AM
I think that died when Winger broke up.

Why you gotta bring up painful memories, dude?

frankensooner
6/13/2007, 11:08 AM
Tell them not to eat at Stumpy's. Sorry BRR, not my cup of joe, the onion rings were quite good though.

critical_phil
6/28/2007, 07:32 PM
TU, i saw the signs for the soccer tournament along I44 today.

i hope you told everyone to pack their hip waders.

BajaOklahoma
6/28/2007, 08:32 PM
Someone needs to FARK the Katrina beer carrying/wading guy carrying the soccer team on his back - because that might really happen.

We've played games in 3 and 4 inch standing water. The fields built on the landfill stink when wet.

TUSooner
6/28/2007, 10:14 PM
Someone needs to FARK the Katrina beer carrying/wading guy carrying the soccer team on his back - because that might really happen.

We've played games in 3 and 4 inch standing water. The fields built on the landfill stink when wet.
Heh. My daughter's team went to regionals in Austin when they had their once-every-500-years rain. She also wen to softball regionals near San Antonio after they had their once-every-500-years flood.
Maybe the rain will stop, and the visitors will just will think Oklahoma is green in the summer. :D

Soonerus
6/28/2007, 10:17 PM
I was at that Austin Regional, we played one game in San Antonio...

TUSooner
6/29/2007, 09:02 AM
I was at that Austin Regional, we played one game in San Antonio...
Us too.

critical_phil
6/29/2007, 09:04 AM
dude, it's ****ing down buckets again today.