PDA

View Full Version : You know what I hate?

OUAndy1807
6/11/2007, 07:29 PM
This conversation (which seems to come up daily):
other person: how much would it cost to do/add this?
me: I don't know, let me check.
.....a couple of days go by......
me: here's how much it will cost.
other person: I think that's way too much. We used to get those for this much.
me: here are the factors that are driving the cost up compared to the best case scenario you just laid out....
other person: still sounds high.
me: ok, you should just do it yourself then and save some money.
.....a couple of weeks go by......other person: oh, wait. it turns out I can't do it that cheaply after all. can you still do it for that price you said before and be done at the same time?
me: I guess.

proud gonzo
6/11/2007, 07:50 PM
heh

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/11/2007, 08:07 PM
Yet, somehow you seem surprised at that gnawing, cheapskate, predictable behavior.

OUAndy1807
6/11/2007, 08:13 PM
not surprised. just tired of it.

yermom
6/11/2007, 09:44 PM
you should increase your estimate the second time ;)

sanantoniosooner
6/11/2007, 10:15 PM
most estimates have an expiration date.

1stTimeCaller
6/11/2007, 10:38 PM
I don't understand the problem. You sound like a lazy, cantankerous person to me.

;)

OUinFLA
6/11/2007, 11:06 PM
Perhaps, you could develop a routine of saying.

The job should figure out to be $XXXXX.XX ; however, right now, I have a crew I was going to give a few days off before we start the next project.
So, if you are willing to let me start the job tomorrow, I'll knock that down by $XXX.
But, by next week, I'd have to add a couple of workers in order to get to your job in a timely manner, so the original price would be in effect.

OUAndy1807
6/11/2007, 11:18 PM
I'm just going to say the following:

Here is my price: $$$. Take it or leave it. You have 4 hours to decide. After those 4 hours, I refuse to do the work, no matter how much you offer to pay me.

sooneron
6/11/2007, 11:21 PM
Perhaps, you could develop a routine of saying.

The job should figure out to be $XXXXX.XX ; however, right now, I have a crew I was going to give a few days off before we start the next project.
So, if you are willing to let me start the job tomorrow, I'll knock that down by $XXX.
But, by next week, I'd have to add a couple of workers in order to get to your job in a timely manner, so the original price would be in effect.
Gee, I can't imagine someone in Fla having the barter thing down.

Face it Andy. people will haggle. Hell, it is my job to haggle at times. Maybe you shouldn't be in a position where haggling can take place if you have no patience for it.

OUAndy1807
6/11/2007, 11:28 PM
it's not the haggling, it's the bull**** bravado that I get sick of. A group asks for something that's tough to do, I get it done, but there's always someone who says "we can do that all day long for half that price". But they're talkers, not doers, and when it comes to nut-cutting time they know they really can't get it done.

I've recently resorted to the "Ok, you just do it then" retort and see how long it takes them to back out, because they never actually wanted to do it at all, they just wanted to talk about how much better/cheaper they could be doing it when there is no way that's possible inside of the parameters we are dealing with.

sooneron
6/11/2007, 11:34 PM
it's not the haggling, it's the bull**** bravado that I get sick of. A group asks for something that's tough to do, I get it done, but there's always someone who says "we can do that all day long for half that price". But they're talkers, not doers, and when it comes to nut-cutting time they know they really can't get it done.

I've recently resorted to the "Ok, you just do it then" retort and see how long it takes them to back out, because they never actually wanted to do it at all, they just wanted to talk about how much better/cheaper they could be doing it when there is no way that's possible inside of the parameters we are dealing with.
Well then, just wish them luck and be on your way.

1stTimeCaller
6/11/2007, 11:50 PM
I heard that Churches are the worst when it comes to this although I have never built one.

HskrGrl
6/12/2007, 12:16 AM
Just guessing here... bikini waxes?

OU Adonis
6/12/2007, 12:20 AM
Just guessing here... bikini waxes?

I tried to come up with something witty but failed. And for once I just kept my mouth shut.

goingoneight
6/12/2007, 12:21 AM
This conversation (which seems to come up daily):
other person: how much would it cost to do/add this?
me: I don't know, let me check.
.....a couple of days go by......
me: here's how much it will cost.
other person: I think that's way too much. We used to get those for this much.
me: here are the factors that are driving the cost up compared to the best case scenario you just laid out....
other person: still sounds high.
me: ok, you should just do it yourself then and save some money.
.....a couple of weeks go by......other person: oh, wait. it turns out I can't do it that cheaply after all. can you still do it for that price you said before and be done at the same time?
me: I guess.

So did you sell any cars today? :confused:

OUinFLA
6/12/2007, 12:25 AM
While it is true that almost every building project I have had done on my farm, I could have done it myself with my employees for a much lessor price.

The problem is, neither I nor my employees have the time to do the occasional building project. If we had that kind of time, then I have too many employees.

So, I feel I have had the sense enough to hire the work done for anything that takes more than a day to accomplish. Of course, I have a general idea of how much a project should cost, and if not, I get competitive bids.

However, the lowest bid is not always the best production. Case in point. I needed to have a complex slab poured 100 x 32 feet with three full length 8" deep drains. I have occasionally used the same company to pour slabs for me for the past 10 years. The price he gave me seemed a bit much for what I thought the materials should cost. So, I opted for someone who came in 20% cheaper.

I throughly grilled the contractor as to how he was going to pour the integrated drains. And repeatedly asked if he was skillful enough to get them done right. He assured me he was. Then I asked when he could start. Two days from now He replied. Well, 5 days later he hadnt started yet. so I gave him an ultimatum. Start tomorrow, or Ill get someone else. So, he started tomorrow. It took him all day to prep the ground, and begin to lay out the slab forms.

As I watched, I knew I was in trouble, they didnt lay one side square to the other, and I had to correct them. then they started to form the drains in a manner that was not going to work. I pointed it out to them, argued with them and finally they threw up their hands and said, we don't have a clue how to do what you want.

I said pack up and leave then, I know someone who does. I called my original contractor and asked if his price was still valid. He responded... only if I can start tomorrow as I have a big job next week and I wont be able to break from it for about 3 weeks. I agreed and then asked... how long will it take to finish? He responded We will be through tomorrow night, even if we have to be here after dark. Im ordering the concrete right now.

Dang if he wasnt through the next day and did the job right.
I did notice the guy who lost the job drove up to see how they formed the drains. I never heard from him again.

So, I learned a lesson and all it cost me was a delay. Cheap enough.

goingoneight
6/12/2007, 12:54 AM
I hear ya, I was just kidding. I don't like cheapskates, either.

StoopTroup
6/12/2007, 02:57 AM
Andy's last response kind of bothers me...

The "I guess" , that is....

I think I might throw in "I require a bonus for finishing early" or a "Well I'm glad you decided to go with me but now I have a smaller window of time to be able to take your job...however...because we've done business before...I'll only charge you 10% more than my original bid"...then follow with a "Oh S**T! I think I'll have to get back to you....then call them the next day".

OUAndy1807
6/12/2007, 06:33 AM
While it is true that almost every building project I have had done on my farm, I could have done it myself with my employees for a much lessor price.

The problem is, neither I nor my employees have the time to do the occasional building project. If we had that kind of time, then I have too many employees.

So, I feel I have had the sense enough to hire the work done for anything that takes more than a day to accomplish. Of course, I have a general idea of how much a project should cost, and if not, I get competitive bids.

However, the lowest bid is not always the best production. Case in point. I needed to have a complex slab poured 100 x 32 feet with three full length 8" deep drains. I have occasionally used the same company to pour slabs for me for the past 10 years. The price he gave me seemed a bit much for what I thought the materials should cost. So, I opted for someone who came in 20% cheaper.

I throughly grilled the contractor as to how he was going to pour the integrated drains. And repeatedly asked if he was skillful enough to get them done right. He assured me he was. Then I asked when he could start. Two days from now He replied. Well, 5 days later he hadnt started yet. so I gave him an ultimatum. Start tomorrow, or Ill get someone else. So, he started tomorrow. It took him all day to prep the ground, and begin to lay out the slab forms.

As I watched, I knew I was in trouble, they didnt lay one side square to the other, and I had to correct them. then they started to form the drains in a manner that was not going to work. I pointed it out to them, argued with them and finally they threw up their hands and said, we don't have a clue how to do what you want.

I said pack up and leave then, I know someone who does. I called my original contractor and asked if his price was still valid. He responded... only if I can start tomorrow as I have a big job next week and I wont be able to break from it for about 3 weeks. I agreed and then asked... how long will it take to finish? He responded We will be through tomorrow night, even if we have to be here after dark. Im ordering the concrete right now.

Dang if he wasnt through the next day and did the job right.
I did notice the guy who lost the job drove up to see how they formed the drains. I never heard from him again.

So, I learned a lesson and all it cost me was a delay. Cheap enough.
and this, my friends, is a great example of difference between the cheapest and the best value.

BudSooner
6/12/2007, 07:57 AM
I thought you were gonna say taters, pffffffft.

sanantoniosooner
6/12/2007, 08:34 AM
I heard that Churches are the worst when it comes to this although I have never built one.
It depends on the church, and their philosophy on "blessing".

Some think God will bless them by providing material or labor at a reduced price while maintaining quality.

Some believe that God will bless the church be providing the finances necessary to have the job done right.

You tell me which one you'd rather work for.

I've knocked heads with leadership at our church about how to deal with contractors. They would get bids and then just take the cheapest, even when they liked another contractor more. I told them to give the contractor they liked better another opportunity to match or get close to the bid of the other one. They felt that is insulting to the contractor, but being one myself, it's more insulting to put a lot of time on a bid only to lose out on it because of a few hundred dollars. If they can come down, they will. If they can't, they had a shot and they chose to pass. If they get close, you have to decide if you like them a few hundred better than the other guy.

Trust is hard to put a dollar figure on.

I've never had a lot of clients, but the one's I have use me every chance they can and recommend me to friends and relatives. The project I'm on now, the lady has been waiting for me to do the job for over a year.

Mjcpr
6/12/2007, 08:35 AM
They project I'm on now, the lady has been waiting for me to do the job for over a year.

I'd leave that off my business cards if I were you.

sanantoniosooner
6/12/2007, 08:39 AM
I'd leave that off my business cards if I were you.
Her choice. People know I'm a full time student during the year and can only handle smaller projects. The big stuff has to wait for summer.