PDA

View Full Version : The Hold Steady have restored my faith in music....

OUAndy1807
6/11/2007, 06:37 PM
I went to see them last night at the Opolis in Norman. They're not my favorite band ever, but I like the direction that music has been headed for a while and they are a good example of why.

1) They had 2 excellent opening acts.
2) I love how the bands now are so much closer to the audiences. The head guy for the Hold Steady was right there, less than a foot from the crowd, which leads me to....
3) The crowd: they were very into it and participated in the show (jumping up and down to the beat, singing the background parts when applicable, etc...)
4) The band seemed to enjoy themselves and be nice guys. I'm sure that someone can find something on the internet about them being dicks or whatever, but they were very personable and seemed to be having fun. I'm so sick of the "too cool for the room" musicians.

anyway, it was an awesome show and I'm really enjoying the path music (well, some music) has been headed lately.

Rhino
6/11/2007, 11:08 PM
I heard it was a great show, great enthusiasm all around. I heard Illinois was great.

If I hadn't been playing softball last night, I may have gone just on friendly recommendations alone.

I still don't really get the appeal to their music, but I never got the appeal of Guided by Voices either.

OUAndy1807
6/11/2007, 11:20 PM
I still don't really get the appeal to their music, but I never got the appeal of Guided by Voices either.
I wasn't a big fan of Seperation Sunday, but Boys and Girls in America was one of my favorite albums from 2006.

def_lazer_fc
6/11/2007, 11:54 PM
its poptastic, thats what. GBV, not hold steady. i dont get that either.

def_lazer_fc
6/11/2007, 11:56 PM
ive seen a few good intimate shows at opolis. one was the shins. the next time i saw em it was crowded with *********s at the diamond. eagles of death metal was another good one. and dios malos. there were like 5 people there. i was pretty disappointed with the turnout for that one. but i did smoke out with the singer and lead guitarist, so it was all good.:D

Jeopardude
6/12/2007, 10:29 AM
its poptastic, thats what. GBV, not hold steady. i dont get that either.

The appeal of Guided by Voices is they're AWESOME. Great riffs, amazing melodies and favorite live act ever.

Good show report, Andy.

OUAndy1807
6/12/2007, 10:51 AM
The appeal of Guided by Voices is they're AWESOME. Great riffs, amazing melodies and favorite live act ever.

Good show report, Andy.
man, Robert Pollard is a hook writing machine, but he has no idea how to end a song.

Jeopardude
6/12/2007, 02:10 PM
man, Robert Pollard is a hook writing machine, but he has no idea how to end a song.

I Am A Scientist ends perfectly. And the rest you just stop after a minute and thirty seconds. :D

C&CDean
6/12/2007, 02:17 PM
but i did smoke out with the singer and lead guitarist, so it was all good.:D

This explains a lot. And do you kids still call it "smoking out?"

BigRedJed
6/12/2007, 05:42 PM
ive seen a few good intimate shows at opolis. one was the shins. the next time i saw em it was crowded with *********s at the diamond...
Rhino, Lil and I take exception to that comment.