PDA

View Full Version : Re: So apparently the Oklahoma wheat harvest is disappointing this year.

Howzit
6/11/2007, 12:45 PM
This is just because achiro can't.

I am obviously a REAL poster.

achiro
6/11/2007, 12:46 PM
hah! you unlocked it for me beeyatch!:D

achiro
6/11/2007, 12:47 PM
Although I still don't see any post by royal?:confused:

royalfan5
6/11/2007, 12:51 PM
The jist was me wondering how hard the late freeze was to make the Oklahoma wheat harvest miss estimates by 20-30 bushels.

Petro-Sooner
6/11/2007, 12:52 PM
Has all the rain lately caused a problem trying to get the combines in to harvest?

royalfan5
6/11/2007, 12:54 PM
Has all the rain lately caused a problem trying to get the combines in to harvest?
That wouldn't knock the yield down. It has to be the late freeze this year. But I am surprised that it caught the markets off-guard.

Mjcpr
6/11/2007, 12:54 PM

Yes. It's always something.....too much rain, not enough rain, too many bugs, too late of a freeze, blah blah.

:D

achiro
6/11/2007, 12:55 PM
The jist was me wondering how hard the late freeze was to make the Oklahoma wheat harvest miss estimates by 20-30 bushels.
By all accounts, the folks that had one type of wheat(can't remember the name) thought they had done ok with the freeze, most even took the time and expense to spray for army worms, but as the wheat topped out and started to dry it was white and looks to be in really bad shape.

C&CDean
6/11/2007, 12:59 PM
I have never understood wheat farmers. Oh yeah, and they're combining right now out by me. But I couldn't tell good wheat from bad - unless it's winter graze.

Petro-Sooner
6/11/2007, 12:59 PM
I dont see how familys make a living off of the land. I had an aunt and uncle that had wheat in the panhandle. I was just a small kid at the time but I remember that it was always something they were worried about. A lot of times it was the lack of water.

C&CDean
6/11/2007, 01:02 PM
I dont see how familys make a living off of the land. I had an aunt and uncle that had wheat in the panhandle. I was just a small kid at the time but I remember that it was always something they were worried about. A lot of times it was the lack of water.

This is exactly why I farm the way I do. I waited until I could afford to farm. I don't have to make money at it, so I've reduced my stress 100-fold. I can pay my bills and eat with what I make from my real job. Farming is either icing on the cake, or a pain in my *** - depending on the cold/heat/wet/dry/bugs/prices.

royalfan5
6/11/2007, 01:03 PM
I have never understood wheat farmers. Oh yeah, and they're combining right now out by me. But I couldn't tell good wheat from bad - unless it's winter graze.
Unless it's completely terrible, you have to go into the field and examine the heads to get a real good idea. At least the prices are good this year. Wheat does the job on lower quality land, although I don't understand why anyone ever bothers to irrigate it, because you can't really make irrigated wheat pay.

usmc-sooner
6/11/2007, 01:04 PM
I'm a harvester of sorrow

Petro-Sooner
6/11/2007, 01:06 PM
I can imagine that those pivot irrigation systems dont come cheap or cheap to run.

usmc-sooner
6/11/2007, 01:07 PM
you can flood irrigate but that means you'll be out there with a shovel trying to make the water go where you want.

C&CDean
6/11/2007, 01:09 PM
Most of the guys out by me who irrigate grow alfalfa and rotate it with corn or cotton. One guy's corn is well over my head already. My Iowegian wife used to say "the corn needs to be knee high by the 4th of July." Since she's come to Oklahoma, "knee high by the first of May." Yeah, it sucks cause it doesn't rhyme and ****.

royalfan5
6/11/2007, 01:10 PM
I can imagine that those pivot irrigation systems dont come cheap or cheap to run.
They are way more effiecent though, unless you have unlimited water, or extremely limited water and an abundance of labor. That and flood irrigation really only works well for row crops on flat land.

usmc-sooner
6/11/2007, 01:11 PM
alfalfa makes good hay and is good for the soil, but you got to water it. Mix in some Timothy and the horse guys love it. You got to rotate it cause of bugs though.

royalfan5
6/11/2007, 01:12 PM
Most of the guys out by me who irrigate grow alfalfa and rotate it with corn or cotton. One guy's corn is well over my head already. My Iowegian wife used to say "the corn needs to be knee high by the 4th of July." Since she's come to Oklahoma, "knee high by the first of May." Yeah, it sucks cause it doesn't rhyme and ****.
Knee high by the 4th of July applied when people were planting in Mid-May. That adage is at least 25 years obsolete up here too.

C&CDean
6/11/2007, 01:13 PM
Knee high by the 4th of July applied when people were planting in Mid-May. That adage is at least 25 years obsolete up here too.

Dude, there's a whole lotta **** that's 25 years obsolete up there.

usmc-sooner
6/11/2007, 01:13 PM
They are way more effiecent though, unless you have unlimited water, or extremely limited water and an abundance of labor. That and flood irrigation really only works well for row crops on flat land.

I flood irrigated 500 acres of grass and some alfalfa, it's work but it seemed to work pretty well.

royalfan5
6/11/2007, 01:16 PM
I flood irrigated 500 acres of grass and some alfalfa, it's work but it seemed to work pretty well.
The labor requirements are what really does it in, that and it tends to provide a better benefit to row crops, all things being equal.

royalfan5
6/11/2007, 01:17 PM
Dude, there's a whole lotta **** that's 25 years obsolete up there.
We're not fans of change by any means.

usmc-sooner
6/11/2007, 01:19 PM
speaking of pivots and alfalfa have any of you ever driven South of Farmington, NM on the Navajo Res and seen those huge pivots? They grow tons of Alfalfa out there in the desert, really cool looking. From the air it looks like green circles on a sandy brown backdrop.

SteelClip49
6/11/2007, 02:25 PM
THE WHEAT HARVEST IS IN FULL SWING!!!!!!! BEST THE WHEAT HAS LOOKED IN YEARS, ESPECIALLY IN GRANT COUNTY.

rufnek05
6/11/2007, 03:00 PM
THE WHEAT HARVEST IS IN FULL SWING!!!!!!! BEST THE WHEAT HAS LOOKED IN YEARS, ESPECIALLY IN GRANT COUNTY.

wish that was the same for Woods

Zbird
6/11/2007, 08:20 PM

Yurp!

LoyalFan
6/11/2007, 08:46 PM
My Iowegian wife used to say "the corn needs to be knee high by the 4th of July." Since she's come to Oklahoma, "knee high by the first of May." .

Wait a sec! I thought it was "The corn is as tall as an elephant's..." No, wait one...OK, "...as high as an elephant's eye."

LF

royalfan5
6/14/2007, 11:21 AM
http://cbot.com/cbot/pub/cont_detail/0,3206,1033+48552,00.html

Wheat has hit the highest price point since May of 1996. It will probably keep surging with Ukrainian production way down.