PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most loathed coach in OU history?

stoopified
6/11/2007, 08:53 AM
Obviously It is a two horse race between Drunkenberger and Boo the Bumbling Blob but I'm curious as to who is most detested?Personally my vote goes to Boo for almost leveling OUr football program to unimaginable depths.I mean it is SAD when yo have to cheer a victory over oSu as a BIG WIN.

OUDoc
6/11/2007, 09:19 AM
I don't know. Boo actually tried(sad, I know). Most days I don't think Schnelly realized he was still coaching. I'd give any nod to Schnelly. Of course, that just in my lifetime. Fans even got unhappy with Switzer for a while. :eek:

usmc-sooner
6/11/2007, 09:26 AM
John Blake

for the stuff he pulled after he was fired, destroying recruiting files, accusing OU of racism

auto
6/11/2007, 09:31 AM
smells of bourbon

Oldnslo
6/11/2007, 10:07 AM
Boo was overmatched by the job and reacted poorly.

Schnelly continues to be a jack@ss.

I say Schnelly by his coachman's nose.

The_Red_Patriot
6/11/2007, 10:17 AM
John Blake.

About as retarded as former TU coach Keith Burns.

Does anybody have a program from the 1998 season. I really would like to what players he had at what positions compared to where Bob put them in 1999.

I heard he had J.T Thatcher at qb

soonerndn
6/11/2007, 10:19 AM
Schmellenburger gets my vote.

LittleWingSooner
6/11/2007, 10:36 AM
There's really only 2 to choose from and they deserve it. But I'll throw another name out there. Ad Lindsey

fwsooner22
6/11/2007, 10:47 AM
I blame Donnie Duncan for this thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Red Ron
6/11/2007, 10:49 AM
Hands down, no brainer, John Blake!

Rhino
6/11/2007, 11:04 AM

Schoonerbeer
6/11/2007, 11:08 AM
My vote goes to Go Go Gomer Jones. He followed Bud Wilkinson and was soon gone.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUstud
6/11/2007, 11:11 AM
Well, John Blake isn't an x-ed out name on this board...

Petro-Sooner
6/11/2007, 11:21 AM
Not to jack the thread but what was Duncans deal? I didnt keep up with stuff that happened when he was AD. I've heard he brought the program down at one point. What happened?

Oldnslo
6/11/2007, 11:24 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Um. Not so fast, beerman. Gomer had some problems with players turning pro without telling him. He was AD after resigning from the HC position.

Beef
6/11/2007, 11:26 AM
I'm not a big fan of Mack Brown, although he never did anything while at OU to make me hate him.

Taxman71
6/11/2007, 12:46 PM
Definitely Jimmy Johnson...in the pre-smells of bourbon era.

fwsooner22
6/11/2007, 02:34 PM
Not to jack the thread but what was Duncans deal? I didnt keep up with stuff that happened when he was AD. I've heard he brought the program down at one point. What happened?

Someone had to hire the XXXXXXX and other XXXXXXXX. Others know much more than I but he basically only wanted the drunk and nobody else. He recruited the red-faced, santa clause wannabe. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Taxman71
6/11/2007, 05:23 PM
I think Duncan basically made the call to can Switzer....even though Swank took the heat.

Harry Beanbag
6/11/2007, 06:18 PM
John Blake, in a great way.

47straight
6/11/2007, 06:44 PM
Jimmy Johnson and that shell hair. My momma still gripes about the Great Hairspray Shortage that occurred while he lived in the state.

NS5
6/11/2007, 06:59 PM
Boo was overmatched by the job and reacted poorly.

Schnelly continues to be a jack@ss.

I say Schnelly by his coachman's nose.

I'm on this ride.....

Dio
6/11/2007, 07:14 PM
Jack Tatum stole my kidney once. Bastard!

AlbqSooner
6/11/2007, 07:37 PM
Um. Not so fast, beerman. Gomer had some problems with players turning pro without telling him. He was AD after resigning from the HC position.
Gomer was the O Coordinator for Wilkinson. Ineffective as a head coach? Yes, without a doubt. Loathed by Sooner fans? I don't think so.

XingTheRubicon
6/11/2007, 07:54 PM
I'll take coaches that destroyed recruiting files and then sat on his *ss for two years to collect every dime of his remaining contract for $200, Alex.

LittleWingSooner
6/11/2007, 07:54 PM
Jack Tatum stole my kidney once. Bastard!

I'm sure Jack Tatum destroyed kidney's. That guy could hit. Jim Tatum was the OU coach that brought Wilkinson with him.

usmc-sooner
6/11/2007, 08:10 PM
I'll take coaches that destroyed recruiting files and then sat on his *ss for two years to collect every dime of his remaining contract for $200, Alex.

hell yeah

not to mention that triple x never had a losing season, nor did he jump his fat arse around on a NU sideline.

John Blake is a traitor I wish he was never a part of our program.

crimson&cream
6/11/2007, 09:56 PM
Flaky Blake

opksooner
6/11/2007, 10:26 PM

I disagree............totally.

Gomer inherited a talent-less team, the result of several years of Bud's apathetic recruiting in the waning years of his term. Bud had lost interest before he decided to make a run for Congress. Gomer's only sin was that he didn't win.

He was not loathed. Not by a longshot.

Octavian
6/11/2007, 10:51 PM
Gomer and Gibbs were true to the core Sooners who had the misfortune of following legends. They were Solich's of their day. That's a hard assignment.

Schnelly was just a total disaster...who the hell coaches for a year and then is shown the door? It's not as if he hadn't been successful before either...he'd won a NC so everyone knew he possessed the ability to build a program (at least at one time). It's just that by the time he came to Norman....he was so out of it and pathetic that everyone just sorta looked around after a few months and said, "Wow...big 'effin mistake with this guy." You've gotta be a total POS to get canned after one season...and that was Howard.

Blake was just unbelievably inept and out of his league. It was like asking a 2nd grader to lead a doctoral discussion on quantum physics. He could've stayed 20 years and never gotten it done. No clue as to how to organize or run a program. Just awful.

But at least Blake tried. He is still well liked by many of his former coaches and teammates on a personal level...he was a Sooner for a long time before the bridges were burned. Howard was just milking the situation as long he could and taking the program and the fanbase for a ride by pumping smoke...like Fran but with a lot more Wild Turkey. I say ***************

insuranceman_22
6/11/2007, 10:59 PM
Nice commentary on this, my vote goes to Blake. Schnelly was a drunk looking for a payday, but he has a MNC on his resume. Blake was a tool that fooled us. He had Oklahoma ties (obviously) and that makes it even harder to swallow that pill. But going to NU hits the gag reflex!

Flip this one around, who'd the most loved Sooner Football Coach of all-time?
I say: Bud is a true Oklahoma legend, Bob is on the rise, but Barry is still the King!

Soonerfan88
6/11/2007, 11:26 PM
Blake was given the reins to one of the most historic football teams and was even set up for success. All he had to do was rely on the staff hired for him and learn how to be a head coach. Instead, his ego and lack of sense got in the way. If the depths to which he took this program weren't bad enough, his actions and words since are more than enough to destroy the good will he had built up as a player.

I (a girl who has never played more than the occasional powder puff game in PE) could coach a team better than him.

Not that I'm bitter or anything. :mad:

Octavian
6/12/2007, 02:04 AM
ahh....this could get interesting and really go on for awhile...like debating which terminal illness is better...

I wanted to go back and see just how freakin' pathetic it really became in the mid-late '90s...

you might not wanna look at this...

OU Football in the 5 Seasons from '94-'98:

Overrall Record: 23-32 (.429)

Owen Field Record: 12-15 (.428)

Conference Record: 14-24 (.368)

Winning Seasons: 0

Games We Were Shut Out: 5

Games We Scored 10 Points or Less: 18

Games Lost By 40 Points or More: 3

Games Lost By 30 Points or More: 7

Games Lost By 20 Points or More: 12

Games Lost By 10 Points or More: 24 (24 of the 32 losses by double digits)

jeebus...we were the bad news bears :O

That is what Bob Stoops inherited.

Regardless of who was worse between Boo and Howie...they were both terrible beyond words. With those two, it just got to a point where people were numb and apathetic.

Bob's success looks even better when we step back and remember exactly where OU Football was before he got here. It's been awhile now and maybe we forget sometimes just how atrocious it really was. I know I try to.

We're spoiled again and some of the whining over just winning the Big XII or just getting to the BCS gets annoying, but I'd rather be spoiled than starving.

yermom
6/12/2007, 02:22 AM
sorry man, we were used to losing BCS title games, not regular BCS bowls ;)

Salt City Sooner
6/12/2007, 10:58 AM
"I wanted to go back and see just how freakin' pathetic it really became in the mid-late '90s..."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores96/96272/96272374.htm

Game, set, match. We were O'FER on Owen Field that year.

stonecoldsoonerfan
6/12/2007, 11:39 AM
John Blake

for the stuff he pulled after he was fired, destroying recruiting files, accusing OU of racism

agreed.

you might be right, but i still have more posts than you. :D :P

Taxman71
6/12/2007, 12:09 PM
Blake was so bad at his job that even Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson ignored his claim of racism. That says a lot.

The Maestro
6/12/2007, 04:40 PM
Blake recruited Roy Williams. Smelly blew landing R.W. McQuarters when he wanted to be a Sooner.

'Nuff said.

usmc-sooner
6/12/2007, 04:51 PM
Blake recruited Roy Williams. Smelly blew landing R.W. McQuarters when he wanted to be a Sooner.

'Nuff said.

yeah but he recruited him as a kicker :D

Taxman71
6/12/2007, 05:09 PM
Another year or two of Blake's conditioning program, and Roy would have been a defensive tackle.

Legendarybud
6/13/2007, 12:16 AM
In reference to Gomer Jones, I think this quote from "Sooner Century" is one that always makes me realize that Gomer was much loved as a person by so many of his players and that to the end he was always a Sooner: " Never having been totally comfortable with the public aspects of being head coach, Gomer gracefully stepped down (1965), retaining his job as athletic director. Six years later, in 1971, Gomer was standing on a New York subway platform when he died of a heart attack. His final act was to offer encouragement to a team of Sooner basketball players playing a game far, far from home."

When I remember Gomer, I think often of those last few words - "far, far from home."

Big Red Ron
6/13/2007, 12:21 AM
Blake was so bad at his job that even Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson ignored his claim of racism. That says a lot.Very insightful!

Mac94
6/13/2007, 08:50 AM
Howard was just a classic mistake ... one that was quickly (in football time) swept away ... esp before much damage was done.

John Blake on the other hand is so much more tragic. He was a good player and position coach for the Sooners, and a great recruiter. If you just look at the wins and loses as a head coach and balance it out with his playing days and his coordinating days its easy to say he was a man that is a great coach but not head coach material. He was in over his head. But, as we all know, that's not the end of the story. The way things went down when he was fired were so ugly ... and the bridges burned so completely it's hard to remember anything fondly about him.

He did leave some good player for Bob Stoops and staff to work with and plug new pieces around. Oklahoma had a very good defense in 1998 (top 10 going into the A&M game) ... Blake had built a very good defense. But offensively OU was flat out horrible. And, the losses and ineptitude had sucked the like out of the OU faithful.

After going to A&M, I hadn't had the opportunity to go to games in Norman like I did growing up. My first trip back was in 1993 when A&M played OU. The game atmospehere was pretty much what I remembered of old Owen Field. Gary Gibbs squads weren't great, but they weren't bad .... and being back to Norman was pretty much what I remembered. My next chance was in 1997 for a cold November game when A&M again returned to Norman. The lifelessness of the place was shocking to me. Their were empty seats all over, the crowd was dead, the life had been sucked out of the place. It was truely a sad sight. Gibbs tried hard but just couldn't follow a legend, Howie was a mistake, but Blake nearly killed the entire program .... and then went out in an ugly way.

I would think it would have to be John Blake.

basel90
6/16/2007, 03:05 AM
John Blake by far..

101sooner
6/16/2007, 08:04 AM
'Tits.

John Kochtoston
6/16/2007, 07:26 PM

"TLSA - TD, WES CASWELL 99 YD PASS FROM TROY DEGAR (JAMES
ANDERSON KICK), 10:49" :(

If any moment ever summed up how bad it got in the '90s, it was this.

Still, Blake was a good Sooner player and a decent position coach, before his bad behavior post-firing. Howard the Drunk just sucked.

PLaw
6/19/2007, 11:33 PM
Obviously It is a two horse race between Drunkenberger and Boo the Bumbling Blob but I'm curious as to who is most detested?Personally my vote goes to Boo for almost leveling OUr football program to unimaginable depths.I mean it is SAD when yo have to cheer a victory over oSu as a BIG WIN.

It hard to pick a SOONER in John Blake, but if the shoe fits. Cleary, he was/is a great recruiter, but Nebraska also hung 65+ on him, twice. Donnie Duncan is the real pos that offered JB a job is was not qualified to assume. I don't remember JB being a coordinator before the OU HC job. If not for Duncan, JB would in all likelihood still be recruiting for OU.

BOOMER
PLaw

goingoneight
6/19/2007, 11:36 PM
Why won't you die, thread???

Soonerus
6/19/2007, 11:40 PM
As totally pathetic as Schnelly was, it has to be Blake, that was pure, extended misery...

sendbaht
6/19/2007, 11:51 PM
Schmellenburger gets my vote too.

Soonerus
6/20/2007, 12:04 AM
I'll admit Blake was clearly a better person, Smelly was scum...