PDA

View Full Version : Excellent web page

slickdawg
6/9/2007, 10:15 AM
http://piedmontgazette.com/

SleestakSooner
6/9/2007, 11:41 AM
Looks a bit like the early USA Today format before is became a cluttered pos.

Flagstaffsooner
6/9/2007, 11:50 AM
• Shoes must be worn at all times

That's gonna revolutionize Bamma culture.

Rogue
6/9/2007, 01:54 PM
Heh! :D

Albatross, a 9,000 pound African elephant, will make her debut Sept. 1, 2007 in Tuscaloosa. Quoting one university official who asked to remain anonymous: "Most universities have that 'magical moment' prior to the start of the game. Auburn has the eagle flight. Florida State has the Seminole that rides out on his horse before games. USC has the horse riding Trojan.

“As a program, we were looking for that 'magical moment', and with Albatross, I think we have found it. Also, Bo Bice is working on a song titled 'This is Alabama Football' and our production staff is working on a video that will play as the team and Albatross makes their entrance.

“I think our fans will love what we have in store for them this season."

A magical moment indeed - the closest any program could come, as far as size, would be Colorado when "Ralphie", a 2,000 pound buffalo, makes his entrance, but even he is dwarfed when compared to Albatross.

Roger Brakett, the man responsible for watching over Albatross, says that fans are in for a gigantic treat on September 1.

"The university doesn’t have the means to take care of a full grown elephant, but luckily, the Birmingham Zoo was gracious enough to let her live in their elephant grounds.” Brakett said “ We have had this idea for a couple of years now, but, as I’m sure you can imagine, getting an elephant use to 90 something thousand people is next to impossible.

“She was a circus elephant with Barnum and Bailey for 8 years, so she is use to crowds, its just been a chore trying to get her use to such an enormous crowd."

Brakett is sure Albatross will be ready come September 1. "Alba will be ready, the question is, will Western Carolina and the fans be ready for her?"

In sports writing, you are never sure what your next article will revolve around, but come Sunday, September 2, I am sure my article will start with: "At the start of the game, the earth started to tremble, there was a distant rumble that continued to grow. Some excited fan in the stands bellowed, 'Hold your horses, Albatross is coming', and out stamped the mighty elephant, and the Crimson Tide soon followed, and it was a magical moment."

Gilbert Lowell covers the University of Alabama for The Piedmont Gazette.