PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Signee Drafted by Tigers

AllAboutThe'O'
6/8/2007, 03:38 PM
Defensive back Londell Taylor, who signed with the Sooner football team out of Vian, was drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the 13th round in today's MLB draft. Taylor batted .543 for the Wolverines his senior year and led the team in nearly every offensive category but one, RBIs, when he was edged 49-48. There are strong indications that Taylor will decide to sign with the Tigers and not go to OU. Although Taylor primarily played shortstop for Vian, the Tigers drafted him as an outfielder.

PAW
6/8/2007, 03:47 PM
What kind of money does the 13th round bring?

auto
6/8/2007, 03:53 PM

Probably more than working at Big Red:D :pop:

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2007, 03:57 PM
Probably more than working at Big Red:D :pop:

Damn, I should neg-spek you, but that was pretty funny...:)

royalfan5
6/8/2007, 04:00 PM
I think slot for the 13th round is somewhere around 50K. But if the Tiger's really want him it will probably be closer to 100K+

dougsooner
6/8/2007, 04:01 PM
What kind of football player was this guy supposed to be?

PAW
6/8/2007, 04:04 PM
I think slot for the 13th round is somewhere around 50K. But if the Tiger's really want him it will probably be closer to 100K+

Having a full-ride scholly in hand will probably up the ante some. That's tough to pass up for most 18-yr old kids.

royalfan5
6/8/2007, 04:07 PM
Having a full-ride scholly in hand will probably up the ante some. That's tough to pass up for most 18-yr old kids.
Most baseball teams will promise to pay for four years of schooling as part of the signing package so the player has a back-up play. Plus if he washes out of MLB he can still play college football in a couple years.

PAW
6/8/2007, 04:07 PM

Supposedly, BV said if he grew up in Dallas, he would have had 30 offers.

PAW
6/8/2007, 04:09 PM
Most baseball teams will promise to pay for four years of schooling as part of the signing package so the player has a back-up play. Plus if he washes out of MLB he can still play college football in a couple years.

How did Ricky Williams swing his baseball deal?

AllAboutThe'O'
6/8/2007, 04:12 PM
Josh Booty being a perfect example. He gave up playing quarterback at LSU when the Marlins drafted him in the first round, but after being essentially a bust in baseball, Booty returned to LSU and played QB.

royalfan5
6/8/2007, 04:14 PM
The NCAA treats baseball a lot differently than other sports for some reason. They allow anyone to play MiLB and NCAA varsity sports that aren't baseball for what ever reason. There have been a lot of football players that play Minor League ball for a few years then football, like Chris Weinke. I think that route is preferred by all parties involved.

OSUAggie
6/8/2007, 04:21 PM

He was a 'walk on' at UT. Played baseball over the spring/summer, football in the fall. The Phillies (maybe, can't remember) paid for his school.

The NCAA treats baseball a lot differently than other sports for some reason. They allow anyone to play MiLB and NCAA varsity sports that aren't baseball for what ever reason. There have been a lot of football players that play Minor League ball for a few years then football, like Chris Weinke. I think that route is preferred by all parties involved.

You can do that with any sport...

If a kid goes pro in tennis after high school or whatever, he can go back and play football, basketball, baseball, whatever in college. He just can't compete in tennis, b/c he's not an "amateur" tennis player.

Widescreen
6/8/2007, 05:05 PM
Josh Booty being a perfect example. He gave up playing quarterback at LSU when the Marlins drafted him in the first round, but after being essentially a bust in baseball, Booty returned to LSU and played QB.
Where he became a bust as a QB too. At least he was consistent.

Doged
6/8/2007, 05:43 PM
He was a 'walk on' at UT. Played baseball over the spring/summer, football in the fall. The Phillies (maybe, can't remember) paid for his school.

You can do that with any sport...

If a kid goes pro in tennis after high school or whatever, he can go back and play football, basketball, baseball, whatever in college. He just can't compete in tennis, b/c he's not an "amateur" tennis player.

Why was Jeremy Bloom declared ineligible for Colorado football after being declared a "professional" on the olympic ski team, then? Seems the same criteria should have applied if this were the case.

illinisooner
6/8/2007, 06:48 PM
Why was Jeremy Bloom declared ineligible for Colorado football after being declared a "professional" on the olympic ski team, then? Seems the same criteria should have applied if this were the case.

I did a paper on this freshman year, and IIRC, the NCAA said it had to do with the endorsement/sponsorship money that he got. Baseball players get paid their bonus and salary, but I doubt many minor leaguers who double as college football players do endorsements. I think that's what made Bloom's case an exception.

LittleWingSooner
6/8/2007, 08:19 PM
Sounds like he won't play at OU.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/8/2007, 08:31 PM
Sounds like he won't play at OU.but freeing up a scholly, no?

mobilesteve
6/8/2007, 08:31 PM
He's done at OU, but that gives us another scollie for this year's class.

rankin07
6/8/2007, 09:01 PM
http://ouinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704

Frozen Sooner
6/8/2007, 09:11 PM
Dude. Please don't yell in your thread titles. Please edit.

rankin07
6/8/2007, 09:17 PM
lol sorry man wasn't trying to yell just had it on caps lock by accident

Rhino
6/8/2007, 09:27 PM
Good on him. Can't fault a kid for going after what he loves.

critical_phil
6/8/2007, 10:06 PM
WAR SOONERS...

and i thought Sooner Nation was gay.......

SOONER STEAKER
6/8/2007, 10:33 PM
It's a tough decision for the kid. I understand it's just Londell and his mother and he feels that money can go a long way in helping her out. He can try baseball for 4 years and if it doesn't work out, we will have a mature WR coming back to us. Remember the names Chris Weinks and the RB from Stoolwater who plays for the Hosuton Texans. I think Stoops will take a kid like Londell in 4 years, don't you?

bringit
6/8/2007, 10:45 PM
Another Quan Cosby.

OSUAggie
6/8/2007, 11:22 PM

As Illini touched on, it was because of endorsements. The NCAA views endorsements in the same light as being given cash by agents.

goingoneight
6/8/2007, 11:23 PM
Good luck to him. :)

OSUAggie
6/8/2007, 11:27 PM
This makes me smile not because he's declining a scholarship offer to the University of Oklahoma, but because he loves baseball (even more than football). You don't hear a lot of that anymore ... Especially from a black athlete.

I hope he does well.

Doged
6/8/2007, 11:28 PM
Okay, endorsements makes sense I suppose, or at least as much sense as anything the NCAA does. I thought it was because it wasn't strictly an amateur event, which would make no sense at all if football and basketball players can play pro baseball (or other sports, as stated).

OSUAggie
6/8/2007, 11:34 PM
I guess the easiest way to put it would be:

If you're being paid by a professional franchise to play a sport, you are no longer an amateur within that sport.

If you're being paid because of who you are (within your best sport or otherwise), you are no longer an amateur, period.

Rhino
6/9/2007, 12:37 AM
He can try baseball for 4 years and if it doesn't work out, we will have a mature safety coming back to us. fixed.

OSUAggie
6/9/2007, 12:41 AM
and the RB from Stoolwater who plays for the Green Bay Packers

Fixed.

goingoneight
6/9/2007, 01:11 AM
This makes me smile not because he's declining a scholarship offer to the University of Oklahoma, but because he loves baseball (even more than football). You don't hear a lot of that anymore ... Especially from a black athlete.

I hope he does well.

'mask you a question... you get big time $$$ offered to you straight out of high school. You already know that the best coach in the country likes you enough to recruit you as a DB. You're allowed to try the baseball thing for a little while, whilst making enough $$$ to pay for college with chump change... and the NCAA would let you play football, should baseball not work out for you. What do YOU do?

You laugh at a kid who declines OU's scholly offer? He'd have to play at least three years of hard football just to get sniffed by the NFL draft. He may want to some day (play CFB). Why wait until the offer's not there anymore?

OSUAggie
6/9/2007, 01:16 AM
Read my post again.

birddog
6/9/2007, 07:52 AM
^^^ huh?

zeke
6/9/2007, 09:50 AM
Good Luck to Londell! Everything you hear about this young man is positive. He played on a very good high school FB team and was not THE talked about player during his Jr. or Sr. year on the team. His character and his talent rose above the other guy.
Good for him and his decision to go where his heart is.
I was looking forward to seeing how he did at OU but can not blame him in any way for going with baseball.

zeke
6/9/2007, 10:08 AM

I saw him play as a Jr. at Vian. He has good speed, will hit, can catch a football. And from folks in Vian is a very good young man...heck of it is though he was not the best player on the team. But the other guy stayed in trouble and missed a big part of the next year.

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2007, 11:08 AM
I guess the easiest way to put it would be:

If you're being paid by a professional franchise to play a sport, you are no longer an amateur within that sport.

If you're being paid because of who you are (within your best sport or otherwise), you are no longer an amateur, period.

Exactly. The NCAA's reasoning is that it is impossible to determine what sport is actually generating the endorsement money. What they're trying to avoid is, say, Michael Dell paying everyone on the UT Football team $100k per year to be on a billboard.

Soonerfan88
6/9/2007, 10:43 PM
Yep, the NCAA has declared endorsement money a big no-no. If Bloom would have declined all endorsements, the NCAA said they would let him play football. However, endorsements are the only way Olympic athletes can afford to train. So Bloom chose the Olympics and kept his endorsement money.

As for Taylor, I think he's making the right decision especially if baseball is his favorite sport. Even if he doesn't make it in baseball or suffers an injury, he will still get his college paid for as it's a pretty standard part of MLB contracts for those who were recruited in other sports.

arcman46
6/9/2007, 11:48 PM

Being a professional skier is a totally different beast than the other sports. As a pro skier you don't get paid a salary as such. The money you make are paid by sponsorships such as your ski company, boot company, sunglasses, ski wear etc. Bloom was deemed inelgible because of sponsorship money not because he was a pro skier. The NCAA did not want to start a precident by allowing pros in other sports to have sponsorship money

6/10/2007, 02:43 AM
Londell is to officially sign with the Tigers on Sunday in Vian. This was a decision he made about the time he got serious attention in baseball - which ironically wasn't until this spring. Personally, I think he just happened on the Sooners' radar after Bob got jobbed on a number of top national guys, regardless of what Stoops says. Yes, Taylor is worth his mettle. But Stoops didn't call him until he made a visit to North Carolina the weekend before signing week. You don't do that at that point unless you suddenly have scholarships not taken by others.