PDA

View Full Version : dear windows vista

Ike
6/8/2007, 01:55 PM
bite me.

It took me 10 minutes just to figure out how to get to "cmd" from it.

Fortunatley, its lifetime on this computer is very limited. Later today, it will be going buhbye in favor of linux.

OCUDad
6/8/2007, 01:57 PM
Dear Ike: Anyone who picks up a Microsoft OS before Service Pack 2 has been issued deserves what he gets. :rolleyes:

--Love, Bill Gates & Steve Ballmer

Ike
6/8/2007, 02:05 PM
Dear Ike: Anyone who picks up a Microsoft OS before Service Pack 2 has been issued deserves what he gets. :rolleyes:

--Love, Bill Gates & Steve Ballmer

heh. I didn't have a choice here. The computer came with vista installed. It won't be installed for long, and while vista is the resident OS, this machine has the best virus protection known to man: Not being connected. I simply needed to boot vista up to get some hardware information off of it for the IT people.

OUinFLA
6/8/2007, 02:57 PM
I took the hard drive out of my new computer I bought for the office with Vista installed, put in a new hard drive and installed XP.

Differences noted:
Vista - boot up to log in 45 seconds
Vista - login to desktop 2 minutes while it loaded a bunch of crap I didnt want and couldnt get rid of with Vista Basic.
Vista - shut down 1 minute.

XP - boot up to desktop 30 seconds
XP - shut down 15 seconds.

since we turn this computer on and off at least 3 times a day, I figure Im saving at least 9 minutes a day. 45 minutes a week, 2340 minutes a year.
Or the equavelent of one work week a year.

Screw you Vista. But, I did save you on the original hard drive just in case I have to send the computer back for warranty work.

Someone told me if you have 4 gazillion meg of RAM, Vista works more quickly. It would still be too complicated for a simple operation like mine.

Newbomb Turk
6/8/2007, 03:24 PM
since we turn this computer on and off at least 3 times a day...

why so much? I just put mine in standby.

BajaOklahoma
6/8/2007, 03:26 PM
OU requires Vista for the laptop that we had to buy for PT school.
<sigh>

Flagstaffsooner
6/8/2007, 04:08 PM
They may call it Vista now but its still longwhorn to me.

Stoop Dawg
6/8/2007, 04:20 PM
I believe that longwhorn only referred to the server OS, which is now offically named "Microsoft Windows Server 2008". Pretty original, huh?

OUinFLA
6/8/2007, 06:17 PM
why so much? I just put mine in standby.

Living in the center of the "lightning capital of the world" and being subjected to the ambiguous distribution policy of Lakeland Electric, it just seems to be prudent to turn our computer off when we don't require it's abilities.

Plus, we only use it for about 5 minutes at a time. So, with a 3 minute boot and shut down, Vista was just pizzzing me off.

Anyway, all is well now, and Vista is back in it's box where it belongs. Hopefully it will never see the light of day again.

soonerboomer93
6/8/2007, 07:06 PM
I believe that longwhorn only referred to the server OS, which is now offically named "Microsoft Windows Server 2008". Pretty original, huh?

nope, longwhorn was the beta name for vista

oh, and vista is designed to be use with the new hard drive that have a section of flashmemory to speed boot times, unfortunately these drives aren't very available or in high use. That's why you can plug in a flash drive (or flash memory card if you have the appropriate reader built in) that will speed your boot times. It's called ready on.

Oh, and my only experiene with Vista is a korean edition, yeah, that was a blast...

soonerboomer93
6/8/2007, 07:10 PM
Living in the center of the "lightning capital of the world" and being subjected to the ambiguous distribution policy of Lakeland Electric, it just seems to be prudent to turn our computer off when we don't require it's abilities.

Plus, we only use it for about 5 minutes at a time. So, with a 3 minute boot and shut down, Vista was just pizzzing me off.

Anyway, all is well now, and Vista is back in it's box where it belongs. Hopefully it will never see the light of day again.

you might also buy a decent battery back up/sugre supressor. Good ones basically filter the power so you have cleaner power coming out of it.

OUinFLA
6/8/2007, 07:56 PM
yep, got one, still dont care much for Vista.
POS

You work for MS ?
:D

Newbomb Turk
6/8/2007, 09:54 PM
I have Vista, and my impression is that it's just OK. I don't experience the long boot times that have been spoken of.

I do have a 2gb flash drive that I plug into the usb port and utilize the "ready boost" function of Vista. I don't see where it helps or hurts however.