PDA

View Full Version : Silly Computer Question

SoonerGirl06
6/8/2007, 12:18 PM
I had to have the operating system on my computer restored recently due to a virus.

Before they wiped it clean and restored the system the they did a data back-up for me.

Question: Is the information that they backed up safe to download back onto my computer or is there even the slightest risk it could be infected with the virus that crashed me? They said it was okay to go ahead and put it back onto the computer, but I just want to make sure.

TIA

SoonerBorn68
6/8/2007, 12:29 PM
Your multimedia files, ie, pics, music, video, etc., should be fine to reload.

Okla-homey
6/8/2007, 12:31 PM
I had to have the operating system on my computer restored recently due to a virus.

Before they wiped it clean and restored the system the they did a data back-up for me.

Question: Is the information that they backed up safe to download back onto my computer or is there even the slightest risk it could be infected with the virus that crashed me? They said it was okay to go ahead and put it back onto the computer, but I just want to make sure.

TIA

It is generally impossible to eliminate all risk in anything. That said, if they told you it was fine, I'd go ahead. If it crashes again, call them back and tell them you were only following their instructions but are again flummoxed -- do so while crying if you can.

Of course, they'll hedge and say they told you it probably wouldn't happen if you did what they suggested, and you'll be out more money if they have to fix it again. Don't you love computers?

RacerX
6/8/2007, 12:43 PM
AVG
AVG
AVG

http://free.grisoft.com/

SoonerGirl06
6/8/2007, 12:47 PM
Your multimedia files, ie, pics, music, video, etc., should be fine to reload.

It is generally impossible to eliminate all risk in anything. That said, if they told you it was fine, I'd go ahead. If it crashes again, call them back and tell them you were only following their instructions but are again flummoxed -- do so while crying if you can.

Of course, they'll hedge and say they told you it probably wouldn't happen if you did what they suggested, and you'll be out more money if they have to fix it again. Don't you love computers?

Thanks guys!

I was hoping to hear that about my mulitmeda files, especially the pics and music.

Yeah Homey... that's what I'm afraid of. I soooo don't want to have to go through a crashed computer again. The expense of having it repaired was bad enough, not to mention being without my computer for over a week!

Okla-homey
6/8/2007, 12:47 PM
or switch to a Mac.;)

SoonerGirl06
6/8/2007, 12:48 PM
Oh Lord! That would befuggle my mind even more! :D

GrapevineSooner
6/8/2007, 01:05 PM
BTW, that's a not a silly question at all.

Now if you had asked something like, "I'm driving right now. Is that going to pose a problem in resolving my computer issue?"...

SoonerGirl06
6/8/2007, 08:50 PM
Okay guys... another question:

I'm trying to reload my music and my pics but the back up discs aren't labeled what is what.

Can I go back to the store and have them make a disc specifically with the above stuff on it or is that asking for too much?

I was under the impression I should be learing of reloading anything else but my multimedia files as the others may not be safe.

TIA

GottaHavePride
6/9/2007, 12:27 AM
In general - everything should be safe except for executable files.

Just have your antivirus program scan everything before you load it back on your computer and you should be fine.

If you don't have an antivirus program, that would be the problem.

soonerboomer93
6/9/2007, 12:46 AM
it is possible to imbed a virus in certain image formats (it was .gif I believe)

SoonerGirl06
6/9/2007, 12:54 AM
Yes, I have an anti-virus software program.

Hmmm... I'll avoid the .gifs and run the scan on my music and pics.

Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well, cuz if my computer crashes again I'm going to be totally ****ed.