PDA

View Full Version : Over heard at the Wal-Marts

1stTimeCaller
6/7/2007, 11:48 PM
'The girl from the nail place is moving to Dallas.'
'Why?'
'It's tradition in their family that the grandmother raises the first grandkid for the first year and she couldn't stand to be away from her baby that long.'

As a non-parent I know that I'm not allowed an opinion on how to raise kids but this seems very, very, very weird to me.

From what I heard the grandmom wasn't moving in with them to help, they were expected to ship a newborn off to live with the grandmom for a year.

What an over-bearing MIL. That can't be a good relationship for anyone involved.

Soonerus
6/7/2007, 11:49 PM
Sounds very weird...

StoopTroup
6/7/2007, 11:52 PM
Hank Williams Jr. did a song about "Family Traditions". :D

SeattleOUstudent
6/8/2007, 12:21 AM
****ing walmart

Preservation Parcels
6/8/2007, 07:46 AM
Does the nail girl have a husband? Where is the backbone of the father of this child? (and the fathers of all the other grandbabies?) :confused:

stoopified
6/8/2007, 08:09 AM
Freaky teaky.Brancn Davidians?

OUDoc
6/8/2007, 08:11 AM
That's weird.

VeeJay
6/8/2007, 08:20 AM
Nail girls shop in Wal Marts's?

sanantoniosooner
6/8/2007, 08:22 AM
They have a nail shop in Walmart.

1TC was getting a pedicure.

Partial Qualifier
6/8/2007, 08:22 AM
Maybe the hairdresser's moving to Dallas to mooch off her mom, but she's tryin' to jazz up the story a little with some 'family tradition' b.s.

VeeJay
6/8/2007, 08:24 AM
They have a nail shop in Walmart.

1TC was getting a pedicure.

Oh, I thought he was standing in line eavesdropping.

OUDoc
6/8/2007, 08:29 AM
You recognize that girl, 1TC? Maybe she was dropping a hint for you to act like the baby daddy instead of ignoring your responsibilities. She needs your help. :mad:

Or I could be wrong.

Soonrboy
6/8/2007, 08:34 AM
A family tradition...I think Hank Williams had a song about that.

Hank, why do you drink
Why do you blow smoke..
Why do you ship your babies off to your grandma's in dallas for the first year.

1stTimeCaller
6/8/2007, 11:17 AM
It was a Wal-Mart employee talking to a customer in front of me in the self checkout line. They delayed my day by about 8 minutes to have this conversation. Both ladies were way past natural child bearing age.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2007, 11:50 AM
A silly question, are they Asian? Vietnamese? must be some culture thing...

Okla-homey
6/8/2007, 11:54 AM
A silly question, are they Asian? Vietnamese? must be some culture thing...
I don't think its a silly question. I thought all nail people were Asian. At least it sure seems that way.

opksooner
6/8/2007, 11:55 AM
Pretty silly to be forming an opinion and passing judgement based on a snipppet of an overheard conversation.

Okla-homey
6/8/2007, 11:56 AM
Pretty silly to be forming an opinion and passing judgement based on a snipppet of an overheard conversation.

Chill. It's what we do here. sheesh.;)

Taxman71
6/8/2007, 12:04 PM
That's probably the only way the MIL will ever get a second grandchild...if it is like it is in my house.

ultimatesooner1
6/8/2007, 01:10 PM
You recognize that girl, 1TC? Maybe she was dropping a hint for you to act like the baby daddy instead of ignoring your responsibilities. She needs your help. :mad:

Or I could be wrong.

being a Dr. you should know that you can't get someone pregnant from putting your finger in their butt :)

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2007, 01:41 PM

Not silly, just wondering. And as Homey says, all nail salons here are owned/operated by Asians.

Jimminy Crimson
6/8/2007, 01:46 PM
Not silly, just wondering. And as Homey says, all nail salons here are owned/operated by Asians.

...and the whole thing is a ridiculous idea/tradition. :confused:

Scott D
6/8/2007, 02:33 PM
being a Dr. you should know that you can't get someone pregnant from putting your finger in their butt :)

where do you think bartenders come from? :D

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2007, 03:15 PM
...and the whole thing is a ridiculous idea/tradition. :confused:

If you think I was saying that the idea was dumb or stupid, then you are wrong. I was looking for an explanation that may be defined by our unfamiliarity to another culture.

Jimminy Crimson
6/8/2007, 03:17 PM
If you think I was saying that the idea was dumb or stupid, then you are wrong. I was looking for an explanation that may be defined by our unfamiliarity to another culture.

I was saying it was a ridiculous custom. Usually adults should be responsible for their own sh!t, or in this case, kids... :texan:

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2007, 03:21 PM
I was saying it was a ridiculous custom. Usually adults should be responsible for their own sh!t, or in this case, kids... :texan:

That, I agree with! However, I was trying to be sensitive to other cultures. I however, no matter what culture I am from , would not move several hundred miles so a grandparent could "take care of" the little tyke...

sanantoniosooner
6/8/2007, 06:15 PM
not really.

I've already got an opinion about you based on this post.;)

1stTimeCaller
6/8/2007, 06:25 PM
That, I agree with! However, I was trying to be sensitive to other cultures. I however, no matter what culture I am from , would not move several hundred miles so a grandparent could "take care of" the little tyke...

Granted I know only what I posted in those first three lines but I was thinking that the new mother and her husband lived in Ardmore because that's where they chose to plant some roots and raise a kid. Wouldn't it be easier for the mother or MIL to move to Ardmore for a year and live with them? I think that's crazy as well but not as crazy as moving the new family to Dallas.

Heck, this could be exactly what the parents and grandparents wanted but it's still weird in my book.

Okla-homey
6/8/2007, 06:27 PM
If they are Asian, and its a cultural thingy, I gae-ron-tee the grandbaby is male. If it were a girl, grandma-san wouldn't give two hoots about her.

SleestakSooner
6/8/2007, 06:28 PM
Does the nail girl have a husband? Where is the backbone of the father of this child? (and the fathers of all the other grandbabies?) :confused:

This is always the end result when someone nails the nail girl.

soonerboomer93
6/8/2007, 07:18 PM

Hair salons are a big deal over here. I know there's atleast 4 of them within 1 block of my apartment. Of course, it's $8 for a woman to get her hair done, and apparently it's a sign of money if you can get your hair done every day...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/8/2007, 08:47 PM
This thread needs some(one?) stars, mods!

OUTromBoNado
6/8/2007, 10:12 PM
I worked at a Wal-Mart when I was in high school.

I hated it.

KABOOKIE
6/8/2007, 10:29 PM
Those Asian nail shops give the best "happy-endings"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D