PDA

View Full Version : Questions about grass

1stTimeCaller
6/7/2007, 01:01 PM
sorry OleVet, not what you're thinking.

I have bermuda and St. Augistine in my backyard. Most of the backyard is/was dirt. I planted fescue because I thought that's what my St Augistine was. Anyhoo, most of my yard is shaded by a huge tree most of the day. Will the fescue do OK?

Mjcpr
6/7/2007, 01:03 PM
sorry OleVet, not what you're thinking.

I have bermuda and St. Augistine in my backyard. Most of the backyard is/was dirt. I planted fescue because I thought that's what my St Augistine was. Anyhoo, most of my yard is shaded by a huge tree most of the day. Will the fescue do OK?

Fescue will do well in the shade but it takes a lot of water.

OU4LIFE
6/7/2007, 01:05 PM
and it will need to be re-seeded each year. SO plan on that.

jk the sooner fan
6/7/2007, 01:05 PM
LOTS of water

you wont get much else to grow around the tree's though, bermuda and st augustine need lots of sun

OKLA21FAN
6/7/2007, 01:06 PM
i made the same 'mistake' this past year as well. i have St. Augustine and mistakingly seeded with Fescue. i have lots of shade and the Fescue is doing well. maybe too well, cause i hope it doesn't choke out the St. Augustine

OU4LIFE
6/7/2007, 01:06 PM
unless you can afford Zoysia, very hardy and will take shade.

jk the sooner fan
6/7/2007, 01:07 PM
i cant see fescue choking out either bermuda or st augustine

Pricetag
6/7/2007, 01:11 PM
unless you can afford Zoysia, very hardy and will take shade.
Isn't that the stuff that grows so slowly you barely have to mow?

1stTimeCaller
6/7/2007, 01:14 PM
So fescue won't come back like bermuda? That's no fun.

The bag said this Kentucky 31 fescue or whatever was drought resistant and only needed an inch of water per week.

Mjcpr
6/7/2007, 01:15 PM

So far, I like what I'm hearing.

Mjcpr
6/7/2007, 01:15 PM
So fescue won't come back like bermuda? That's no fun.

The bag said this Kentucky 31 fescue or whatever was drought resistant and only needed an inch of water per week.

Mine does....I don't know what the hell he's talking about.

BajaOklahoma
6/7/2007, 01:20 PM
We put some fescue in our yard to fill in some of the bare spots under the trees. It does come back, partially anyway, but needs supplementing with some extra seed to look okay.

TexasLidig8r
6/7/2007, 01:42 PM
Ordinarily, the St. Augustine would take over the yard.. but, with as much shade as there is, that may not be the case.

Oh.. what ever happened to Scottopolooza?

OKLA21FAN
6/7/2007, 01:46 PM
Ordinarily, the St. Augustine would take over the yard.. but, with as much shade as there is, that may not be the case.

Oh.. what ever happened to Scottopolooza?

i would have liked to over seed this past spring w/ St. Augustine, but I never could find any seed.

i did find some 'weed and feed' for it, but that was about it.

NormanPride
6/7/2007, 01:47 PM
I've read a lot of conflicting things about Thermal Blue... any thoughts?

OUinFLA
6/7/2007, 01:56 PM
i would have liked to over seed this past spring w/ St. Augustine, but I never could find any seed.

Let me know if you find some of that St Augustine seed, I've never seen any.
All I ever knew of was plugs and sod.

OU4LIFE
6/7/2007, 02:08 PM

It does grow a little slower, and straight up, wide blades...can make for a VERY pretty lawn. But the shiat is esspenseeve.

Most of your higher end golf courses have Zoysia fiarways, and you can tell it's Zoysia cause when you drive your cart on it, the cart will weave back and forth as the grass fall over.

Mjcpr
6/7/2007, 02:09 PM
Most of your higher end golf courses have Zoysia fiarways, and you can tell it's Zoysia cause when you drive your cart on it, the cart will weave back and forth as the grass fall over.

Hmmm....I guess about all the courses I play are Zoysia fairways then.

OU4LIFE
6/7/2007, 02:13 PM
no, you're just drunk when you drive the cart.

Mjcpr
6/7/2007, 02:20 PM
no, you're just drunk when you drive the cart.

I knew I couldn't get a joke past you!

:D

BajaOklahoma
6/7/2007, 02:23 PM

From TAMU:
As long as St. Augustine grass has been cultivated, it has been propagated by vegetative means -- stolons, plugs or sod. Only recently has the seed production potential of St. Augustine grass been realized; but, as yet, significant use has not been made of that potential.

As reported by Long and Bashaw at Texas A&M in 1961 only a few strains of St. Augustine grass are fertile. The common strain of St. Augustine grass found in Texas is generally fertile; whereas, the strains used in Florida since before 1900 were found to be sterile.

St. Augustine grass is readily established from sod since the species is vigorous and spreads rapidly by creeping stolons. Sod plugs or stolons planted on 1 to 2 foot spacings can be expected to cover in one growing season. In commercial St. Augustine grass production 300 to 500 square yards (bushels) of sod are planted per acre. In small lawn plantings, 2 to 4 square inch sod plugs are planted on 1 to 2 foot spacings. St. Augustine grass can be successfully established from plugs anytime during the growing season if water is available.

Unlike bermudagrass, St. Augustine grass is not effectively propagated from stolons. St. Augustine grass stolons are much more prone to desiccation than bermudagrass. Also, bermudagrass roots much faster and has a faster growth rate than St. Augustine grass. As a result, St. Augustine grass is not successfully established by hydromulching or broadcasting stolons.

Some St. Augustine grass strains can be established from seed by planting at 1/3 to 1/2 pound of PLS per 1,000 square feet. The rate of establishment from seed planted at that rate would be about the same as for 2 inch sod plugs planted on 1 foot spacings. A seeded St. Augustine grass lawn should be kept moist for several weeks after planting to obtain a satisfactory stand of grass. Only after the seedlings have begun to spread can the grass tolerate dry conditions. St. Augustine grass should be seeded in late spring to early summer.

Fertilization during the establishment period (first three months after planting) is critical to developing a complete cover of St. Augustine grass.

Mongo
6/7/2007, 02:26 PM
From TAMU CADET:
DONT WALK ON THE GRASS OR WE WILL KILL YOU!!!

fixed

TheHumanAlphabet
6/7/2007, 03:59 PM
Fescue is essetially an annual grass. It will last longer, but it eventually thins out and dies. It must be reseeded on a yearly basis. Fescue is not drought tolerant.

C&CDean
6/7/2007, 05:51 PM
I don't know what the hell you ****ing hillbillies are talking about. I've got tons of fescue under my pecan trees and I've a) never planted it, and b) it comes back every year. In fact, it's pretty much green all year round. I always get late fall, early winter pasture out of it. With all this rain, it's thigh high right now.