PDA

View Full Version : I don't know nuthin' 'bout ....

TUSooner
6/7/2007, 12:44 PM
wireless internet. :confused: :O

How does it work & how do you get it?

TIA.

Okieflyer
6/7/2007, 12:48 PM
It's not actually "wireless internet". It's a wireless network to the internet. You need a wireless router and wireless cards for any computer. Then you are free of cables and can move your computer anywhere in the house.

Maybe we can get Richie's brother to chime in here. He knows a lot of TV stuff, maybe he knows some of this too! ;)

Ike
6/7/2007, 12:52 PM
its really just a mini radio for your internet.

you hook a router up to your cable or DSL modem instead of plugging your computer directly into it. the router then broadcasts a signal, and a computer establishes radio contact with the router.

Frozen Sooner
6/7/2007, 12:59 PM
It's not actually "wireless internet". It's a wireless network to the internet. You need a wireless router and wireless cards for any computer. Then you are free of cables and can move your computer anywhere in the house.

Maybe we can get Richie's brother to chime in here. He knows a lot of TV stuff, maybe he knows some of this too! ;)

My dad's a TV repairman, he has an AWESOME set of tools. I can fix this.

:D

Ike's right on.

TUSooner
6/7/2007, 01:20 PM
Well then, I'm talking about a whole nother thing that I evidently don't even know the name for...
It's like ...ummm ... cellular or satellite internet access. Y' know, you stick some kinda card dealio in your machine and get internet anywhere you get cel phone service.
Sump'n like 'at.

Frozen Sooner
6/7/2007, 01:24 PM
Oh, gotcha.

That's basically the same thing, just using a different band than your home wireless network. Uses packet radio to communicate with cell phone towers.

Okieflyer
6/7/2007, 01:26 PM
Oh, kind of like this... (http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/)

TUSooner
6/7/2007, 01:57 PM
Oh, kind of like this... (http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/)
yeah