PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Baker and the LB/DB corps.

goingoneight
6/6/2007, 11:28 PM
I've been watching some film (games from recent years) and I really think this guy is in for a big year. I talked to Bob (and several elder fans who agree on Baker) tonight at the Sooner Caravan in Tulsa (very briefly) and he had nothing to say but how good Baker and Smith looked. Lewis has always been a silent contributor, IMHO. He's a ferocious hitter, he can play the nickel well, and makes great open field tackles.

As my friends from work were talking about Baker, we all compared him to JD Runnels. A guy who surely made mistakes, but when you look at what he's done right, you could hardly remember them. I thought back on Runnels, and I gotta tell ya, other than the game which we do not speak of, I never saw JD fumble, drop a pass, or collapse on a block.

Baker looked solid on ST last year, was generally speaking, always the first guy through the wall on the coverage team, recording smashing hits and tackles reminiscent of RUUUUUUU (if you can imagine RUUUUUU on ST all the time).

Naturally, I expect big things out of guys like Patrick, Brown, Kelly, Reggie, M. Walker... I just really think this guy's gonna have a great senior year. Good, cuz we're gonna need him.

P.S. another big hitter with potential star power, interchangeable as a DB or LB is Lendy Holmes.

rankin07
6/6/2007, 11:53 PM
How many pounds does lewis baker weigh now? I just hope that wouldn't affect him shedding blocks..but ya he's really talented and has showed it in many games...I hope he has a big year he deserves it he's put in a lot of hard work over the years he has been here.

goingoneight
6/7/2007, 12:03 AM
He's a converted DB (therefore a bit undersized stereotypically), and he shines on ST and in the Nickel package, much like Nic Harris does. Nic, Lendy and Lewis all do a fantastic job in that Nickel when the get the call.

Collier11
6/7/2007, 12:36 AM
Except that Harris is a inch taller and 16 lbs heavier than Baker. It seems like Bakers faults have been in people getting behind him if my memory serves me correctly

goingoneight
6/7/2007, 01:02 AM
That was more of an entire unit problem. We could hold up sometimes like a nightmarish defense, then give up a play for 50 yards to let the competition back in it.

MojoRisen
6/7/2007, 08:01 AM
BAKER apparently was able to put on some weight 215 range I believe.

Don't forget the hit in the feista bowl that turned the whole team around. Yes that was BAKER who buried that guy. I expect him to have a great year and get some oskies as well.

To me he seems to make the plays and I have a feeling as well given the opportunity to play more he will prove to be the real deal and a gamer. Hope to see his chance....