PDA

View Full Version : I remain amazed at our society...

Soonerus
6/6/2007, 11:20 PM
...the teenager abducted and killed in Overland Park, Kansas really annoys me....

SoonerGirl06
6/6/2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks to the influx of media reporting stories like this... I think society as a whole is becoming numb to it all.

But that's just my opinion.

Soonerus
6/6/2007, 11:26 PM
The video and everything made this one especially spooky and sad...two weeks from high school graduation...at the Target buying a present with wrapping paper...just disgusting...

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2007, 11:26 PM
Yep. Me too.

So many things about the situation make it upsetting (beyond the obvious of someone so young getting killed senselessly). Her family knew she was missing within an hour of her abduction. There were multiple security camera shots of her and the 'person of interest' at the store entrance and in the parking lot. There were 'pings' from her cell phone within minutes of her being abducted that were used to locate her. Thousands of flyers went up with her picture by the next morning. Hundreds of people were looking for her.

In other words, short of there being an eyewitness to the abduction, everything went as well as it possibly could have and still her life was lost.

Scott D
6/6/2007, 11:27 PM
I'm not even going to start...I feel bad for her family though.

SoonerGirl06
6/6/2007, 11:28 PM
It's all disgusting IMO.

But what do you do? Seriously... what do you do?

Soonerus
6/6/2007, 11:28 PM
I feel horrible for her family and friends...just unimaginable...

Soonerus
6/6/2007, 11:30 PM
It's all disgusting IMO.

I don't know, that is the scary part...

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2007, 11:34 PM
OPPD having a news conference now - Edwin R. Hall arrested and charged with kidnapping and murder.

HskrGrl
6/6/2007, 11:35 PM
She went to school with my cousin's daughter. :( It's so sad and yes... very scary!

Soonerus
OPPD having a news conference now - Edwin R. Hall arrested and charged with kidnapping and murder.

Is he the guy in the video ???

Scott D
is that the "young man" who was a "person of interest"?

Soonerus
6/6/2007, 11:37 PM

GAWD this ****es me off !!!!!!

SoonerGirl06
6/6/2007, 11:40 PM
It'll be interesting to hear his "excuse" for committing such a horrific crime.

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2007, 11:42 PM
is that the "young man" who was a "person of interest"?

The OPPD believes so.

Soonerus
6/6/2007, 11:43 PM
What a ****ing predator !!!!!

Sooner98
6/7/2007, 12:12 AM
Assuming he is guilty, we need to think of some creative ways in which this guy can be made to go through the same level of anguish that Kelsey did, before he is mercifully executed for murder.

I'll start: let me perform 28 root canals on all of his teeth, then extract his four wisdom teeth, all done without any anesthesia or sedation.

Soonerus
6/7/2007, 12:13 AM
Let's wait and see what he did and then do the same or more severe...

SleestakSooner
6/7/2007, 12:22 AM
Wow... it is truly amazing how ****ing sick some people can become. I had learned of the abduction and saw the pleading family's interview yesterday but had not watched the news today. This is the first I had heard about what had happened to her. It is this kind of **** that makes you stop and wonder what this world is coming to, especially when it happens right up the street. :(

yermom
6/7/2007, 12:22 AM
It's all disgusting IMO.

go for the nads?

pepper spray? CCW?

i'm not convinced that harser punishments are the answer though. sure it seems like that is what might make you feel better, but i can't help but think that the idea of being executed makes one more willing to kill the kidnap/rape victim to hide the body and maybe more likely get away with the crime

Soonerus
6/7/2007, 12:25 AM
I am hoping the video tapes will turn out to be a deterrent...video cameras are everwhere these days...

olevetonahill
6/7/2007, 12:31 AM
Let Dean and I have that Mofo , for a weekend , Might trade some tickets to watch fer beer .
No cameras , cell phones etc. :pop:

SleestakSooner
6/7/2007, 12:33 AM
Let Dean and I have that Mofo , for a weekend , Might trade some tickets to watch fer beer .
No cameras , cell phones etc. :pop:

In for a whole case of Natty

olevetonahill
6/7/2007, 12:36 AM
In for a whole case of Natty
WE will have the Girls Strip search ya . :D

Blue
6/7/2007, 12:39 AM
Seems like these stories are in the news daily.

Get a 12 pack. Rent a funny movie and Fugettaboutit.

SoonerGirl06
6/7/2007, 12:41 AM
I am hoping the video tapes will turn out to be a deterrent...video cameras are everwhere these days...

I seriously doubt having video cameras everywhere is going to deter some sicko from committing a crime. In most cases they want their 15 minutes of fame and the way the media creates stars out of criminals, it doesn't surprise me.

There is nothing on this earth that will EVER be enough punishment for people like this. May they rot in eternal hell.

olevetonahill
6/7/2007, 12:47 AM
Seems like these stories are in the news daily.

Get a 12 pack. Rent a funny movie and Fugettaboutit.
tru dat . This Kinda Carp has been happening for centuries .:eek:
Now If it was MY daughter / Granddaughter . Read Grisham's Book
" A Time To Kill "
That be ME

SoonerInKCMO
6/7/2007, 08:40 AM
I seriously doubt having video cameras everywhere is going to deter some sicko from committing a crime. In most cases they want their 15 minutes of fame and the way the media creates stars out of criminals, it doesn't surprise me.

There is nothing on this earth that will EVER be enough punishment for people like this. May they rot in eternal hell.

It's sad that this is true, but it is. If it were up to me, we wouldn't see this guy's name in print or his face on TV ever again. We'd just have a quick, quiet trial and he'd be (assuming he is guilty, of course) locked up and forgotten.

SoonerInFla
6/7/2007, 10:52 AM
It's all disgusting IMO.

You take him down to the stadium and stone him. Then you cut a pack of pit bulls loose on his bloody *** and watch them rip him to shreds. Televise from start to finish.

Of course, this will never happen. But, until it does, you can bet your *** we will continue reading these sad stories.

JohnnyMack
6/7/2007, 02:53 PM
So I finally saw the video from the parking lot. Unless the trial is presided over by Mr. Magoo, there's no way that's useful evidence.

soonervegas
6/7/2007, 03:09 PM
I think what is so disturbing is just the randomness of it. We truly are just bouncing through life hoping not to run into someone like this.

I feel really bad for that family.....that would kill me as a father.

jk the sooner fan
6/7/2007, 03:41 PM
whats funny to me, that as a "people", we are ok with any kind of excrutiating and sadistic punishment for this guy, yet we are just horrified at what happened at abu graib

Ike
6/7/2007, 03:55 PM
So I finally saw the video from the parking lot. Unless the trial is presided over by Mr. Magoo, there's no way that's useful evidence.

Not necessarily. mind you, I haven't seen it yet. However, if you have video of this guy leaving a particular vehicle, and if you then tell that the same guy is the one shoving her into her vehicle and driving off, then the video is useful for establishing a link between the man in the video and the vehicle he arrived at target in. (assuming the vehicle can be identified by the video)

If the suspect was found with that particular vehicle, then you have a link from the suspect to the video. Granted, proving that he is the one in the video takes more work, but establishing the link would be in my opinion, a very important first step.

JohnnyMack
6/7/2007, 04:02 PM
Not necessarily. mind you, I haven't seen it yet. However, if you have video of this guy leaving a particular vehicle, and if you then tell that the same guy is the one shoving her into her vehicle and driving off, then the video is useful for establishing a link between the man in the video and the vehicle he arrived at target in. (assuming the vehicle can be identified by the video)

If the suspect was found with that particular vehicle, then you have a link from the suspect to the video. Granted, proving that he is the one in the video takes more work, but establishing the link would be in my opinion, a very important first step.

Not even David Caruso...

Soonerus
6/7/2007, 05:21 PM
Video would definitely be important if they positively ID the guy in the video...

yermom
6/7/2007, 05:26 PM
whats funny to me, that as a "people", we are ok with any kind of excrutiating and sadistic punishment for this guy, yet we are just horrified at what happened at abu graib

torture as punisment vs. torture for interrogation is a bit different...

and i bet the groups aren't that different, most of the people here didn't have too much of a problem with the Abu Ghraib photos

but still, it's not like either one is legal, or that this guy would actually be sadistically punished if guilty, at least not by the state

Scott D
6/7/2007, 05:31 PM

there's an idea..find that chick that booted from the army and have her force this guy to have pictures taken with a leash on, and in various poses of having butt secks.

yermom
6/7/2007, 05:33 PM
http://badgas.co.uk/lynndie/

heh

Sooner98
6/7/2007, 05:36 PM
Plus, most people (myself included) probably don't ACTUALLY advocate sadistic torture as punishment. It was just a way to vent (in a tounge-in-cheek sort of way) about how p*ssed I am that someone could do something like this.

Also, that pesky Eighth Amendment would prevent me from doing anything sadistic to this guy. :D

jk the sooner fan
6/7/2007, 05:42 PM
yeah i realize most people are just venting their frustration over a heinous crime, and you know, i share those feelings......i was just pointing out the difference in principles....obviously as yermom pointed out, there are some differences between the two situations.........but the state of mind is the same - theoretically those people in abu graib were terrorists who most likely would love to have a chance at killing any american......yet the "torture" they suffered (it was really humiliation) was so much less than what they would have suffered under Sadam

yermom
6/7/2007, 05:53 PM
i wouldn't go as far as it just being humiliation, i mean they did kill a couple of people...

Vaevictis
6/7/2007, 05:55 PM

A lot of people that say they're okay with this kind of thing would vomit their guts up and forswear the practice if they ever had to see it happen. (Not everyone mind you, just a lot)

And even though I might do some pretty terrible things to people who harmed my family, that doesn't mean I think it should ever be government sanctioned.

And also, *presumably* the people at Abu Ghraib were terrorists, but right there you turned our standard presumption upside down and are left with the idea that torture/abuse is okay when guilt is merely presumed. Is that really what we want?

(Personally, I would like to see that sort of thing be very illegal, but the judge should also be required to instruct the jury that nullification is their right. If you can convince a jury of your peers that what you did was necessary and the lesser of evils, then I think the jury should be given the option of finding you innocent of crime even though you violated the law.)

C&CDean
6/7/2007, 06:44 PM
This doesn't bother me near as much as when I was looking at the TV in the lobby of the hotel a minute ago and it kept showing Paris Hilton.

SoonerGirl06
6/7/2007, 07:28 PM
I heard earlier today that they arrested the guy and think he maybe involved in the disappearance of a 17 year old girl that occured earlier this month.