PDA

View Full Version : cfn.com horns 2007 preview

The Maestro
6/6/2007, 02:21 PM
FYI...

http://cfn.scout.com/2/649346.html

I love how they basically say this...

"Sure, Texas lost their last two regular season games, had to rally in San Antonio to beat a crappy Iowa team and lost ten starters, but things are moving in the right direction here and they should be the front runners for the Big 12 title."

Huh? How does that add up?

Oh, well...we will see. They say Jamaal Charles is the 4th best player they have. If so, that can't be good!

NormanPride
6/6/2007, 02:41 PM
They need to figure out why their running game stank with all those all-world O-Linemen. I mean, they had Kasey Studdard!

soonerinabilene
6/6/2007, 03:02 PM
This guy also thought that their only loss last year would be to Texas Tech, so, i guess take it with a grain of crap.

BASSooner
6/6/2007, 07:10 PM
2007 UT=2005 OU

Herr Scholz
6/6/2007, 07:22 PM
Let me add my 2 cents. Texas is a definite top 10 team this year, possibly top 5 depending on our OL and secondary. Run game sucked last year becaus Davis stubbornly stuck with the zone read. Everybody and their dog knew RS freshman McCoy wasn't going to keep the ball on that one. Secondary sucked (despite the talent) due to the co-DCs Akina and Chizik not being on the same page and our LB play being sub-par (forcing the secondary to cheat up on the run).

Things I like: McCoy coming back stronger, bigger, faster, smarter and with the best collection of receivers Mack has had at UT (his words). More counter running plays and rushing out of the I. Akina being the sole DC and working with the new LB coach Mac Duff with whom he had great rapport at Arizona. Great DL and LBs. I think this D could be really nasty even with the youth in the back. Overall still excellent talent and hopefully tweaked schemes.

On a sidenote, BAS, in your signature, are you basically advertising the fact that your hotshot recruit RJ Washington can't count or what?

BASSooner
6/6/2007, 07:29 PM
fair analysis herr. You're running game still has lot's too prove along with the secondary. McCoy's true test will be this season and I do agree, you guys are stacked at the interior DL and LB. Orakpo should anchor your DE unit pretty well.

Hah, I'm glad you mentioned that. He did say this in an interview but, I misread. However, doesn't make a difference because of 2 reasons:
1)we still have more CCs than y'all
2)he's committed to us ;)

MiccoMacey
6/6/2007, 09:09 PM
Things I like: McCoy coming back stronger, bigger, faster, smarter and with the best collection of receivers Mack has had at UT (his words)...

Them's some strong words, even from Mack. As much flak as Roy Williams got, he and his cohorts were pretty good.

Except against OU. :D

goingoneight
6/6/2007, 11:54 PM
They need to figure out why their running game stank with all those all-world O-Linemen. I mean, they had Kasey Studdard!

Earl Campbell had Kasey Studdard. Oh, wait... point taken. :D

goingoneight
6/6/2007, 11:59 PM
2007 UT = 2005 OU - Bonehead quarterback - sense of entitlement - bad taste in their mouth from MNC game blowout loss

I think they'll be a little better than 8-4/9-3. I hope we whip the dogshat out of them in October, but it seems as though they could sweep in the BIG 12. They play Sisters of the Poor A&M State Tech in OOC, so an undefeated season isn't likely, but possible. If they go undefeated (or close to), they'll get their shat kicked in against a BCS-caliber team.

rankin07
6/7/2007, 12:04 AM
Texas A&M returns alot of starters I think and they beat Texas at Texas which put us in the BIG 12 CC thank u aggies! They play at Kyle Field this year how do u all think that game will pan out?

BASSooner
6/7/2007, 12:18 AM
I think they'll be a little better than 8-4/9-3. I hope we whip the dogshat out of them in October, but it seems as though they could sweep in the BIG 12. They play Sisters of the Poor A&M State Tech in OOC, so an undefeated season isn't likely, but possible. If they go undefeated (or close to), they'll get their shat kicked in against a BCS-caliber team.
To be honest, I just can't see texas going to a BCS bowl game. So much talent was lost at their OL and their depth(Webb and Watts).

Also the secondary was one of the worst despite the talent like herr said. The fan base is pretty confident about their new DC...or are they? I've heard some fans criticize akina because of some issues but that is just what i've heard.

My conclusion is this, their offense WILL be worse but they won't suck. Defensively, new co DC, new secondary, still don't expect to have the best pass defense in the country.

I see an 8-4 being the worst case scenario but I highly doubt they would do this poorly. However, their schedule is a bit stronger than some expect it to be with nebraska, aTm(hint!: at college station), @ okie state and us. TCU might possibly be a team that upsets them as well. We'll see though, I'm just stating my opinion...

Herr Scholz
6/7/2007, 11:31 AM
fair analysis herr. You're running game still has lot's too prove along with the secondary. McCoy's true test will be this season and I do agree, you guys are stacked at the interior DL and LB. Orakpo should anchor your DE unit pretty well.
Don't forget Aaron Lewis at the other DE. He's the one who ran down Peterson from behind last year.

Hah, I'm glad you mentioned that. He did say this in an interview but, I misread. However, doesn't make a difference because of 2 reasons:
1)we still have more CCs than y'all
2)he's committed to us ;)
Very true. ;)

Herr Scholz
6/7/2007, 11:34 AM
Them's some strong words, even from Mack. As much flak as Roy Williams got, he and his cohorts were pretty good.
Top to bottom, I think this current group is better. Sweed, Pittman, Cosby, Jones, Shipley. Also throw in Jermichael Finley at TE who I personally feel is going to blow up this year. McCoy was throwing to him a lot during the Spring. Ridiculous athlete. I don't think Mack was exaggerating here.

Also, in contrast to Roy Williams, none of them are prima donnas.

Except against OU. :D
Yes, I remember.

goingoneight
6/7/2007, 06:57 PM
I don't count on aTm or OSU beating Texas. Sorry, last year was just a fluke (for aTm) IMHO. Nothing more. Don't get me wrong, I was out Christmas shopping when I heard aTm was up 12-7. I thought... "pffft... watch Colt McCoy light them up and win 35-12 or something..." When I watched the highlights, I saw that same Aggie defense that held us to 17 in CS. They were playing pretty damn good defense. No one can claim McCoy's injury contributed to the loss. He was beat from the get-go. And he didn't leave the game until very late in it. And when was the last time OSU beat Texass?

Pencil in 5 wins for UT prior to the RRS. If they beat us, all they have to do is look back on 2006 to find out exactly what NOT to do in order to win out. Don't discount a possible upset by someone hungry, like Nebraska. A team that is decent, and won't allow themselves to lose to them could beat them on the right night. Much like KSU last year.

I don't see them a National Champion, but I definitely see them piling up stats and winning shoot-outs left and right next year.

BASSooner
6/7/2007, 07:20 PM
Top to bottom, I think this current group is better. Sweed, Pittman, Cosby, Jones, Shipley. Also throw in Jermichael Finley at TE who I personally feel is going to blow up this year. McCoy was throwing to him a lot during the Spring. Ridiculous athlete. I don't think Mack was exaggerating here.

Also, in contrast to Roy Williams, none of them are prima donnas.

Yes, I remember.
This guy WILL be good without a doubt however, the current weight just makes him look too one-dimensional.

goingoneight
6/8/2007, 02:05 AM
Don't forget Aaron Lewis at the other DE. He's the one who ran down Peterson from behind last year.

Very true. ;)

http://www.musiclens.com/AaronLewis032.JPG

:confused:

Herr Scholz
6/8/2007, 10:58 AM
:confused:
Here's Aaron Lewis and his bio. Very good DE.

http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/image_lib/lewis_aaron_175.jpg

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=114

Herr Scholz
6/8/2007, 10:59 AM
This guy WILL be good without a doubt however, the current weight just makes him look too one-dimensional.
He's been working on his blocking and getting bigger. David Thomas was never that massive either and he was a good run blocker.

JohnnyMack
6/8/2007, 11:17 AM
Saxet should win 10 games no problem. Their QB play and raw talent at the skill positions should mask what could be an average o-line early in the season.

Defensively they're in the same boat. The DL & linebacking corps should be competent enough to cover up the mistakes a young secondary is sure to make.

I don't think they're deep enough or talented enough to make a MNC game, but they're certainly deserving of a preseason top 10 ranking.

Big Red Ron
6/8/2007, 11:26 AM
saxet could easily lose to OU, eatme, aggie lite and tech. Seriously, their DB's are untested and their line won't protect colt.

Big Red Ron
6/8/2007, 11:27 AM
saxet could easily lose to OU, eatme, aggie lite and tech. Seriously, their DB's are untested and their line won't protect colt.

hornfans should be down for the entire season.

Rhino
6/8/2007, 12:02 PM
Don't forget Aaron Lewis at the other DE. He's the one who ran down Peterson from behind last year. Ran down from behind, tackled from the side - same thing, right?

The Maestro
6/8/2007, 12:13 PM
I don't want it or wish it on him, but the interesting thing for Texas will be what they do if Colt gets hurt again. I think Jay Stuckey is the backup.

OSUAggie
6/8/2007, 12:40 PM
What about John Chiles and Sherrod Harris?

BASSooner
6/8/2007, 02:19 PM
both are proven scramblers but passers....they are untested.

TexasLidig8r
6/8/2007, 02:33 PM

And, why won't our line protect Colt?

KC//CRIMSON
6/8/2007, 03:21 PM
Well, because "You're Texas" and ya'll suck donkey!

have a good weekend.

OSUAggie
6/8/2007, 03:37 PM
both are proven scramblers but passers....they are untested.

Well..

A lot of people are untested. One need not look any further than Norman to see an untested group of QB's. They're still really talented, which is also true for your group.

I don't know, I guess I don't see the QB situation as volatile at Texas as some are making it out to be. Sure, they're young, but I bet Colt will be fine, so this could end up being a non-issue.

That being said, it will be difficult for him to duplicate the #'s he put up last year, which would have been pretty stout #'s for a talented Senior QB, let alone a RS Frosh. But he's still surrounded by a ton of talent.

Here's to hoping for a Sophomore jinx.

goingoneight
6/8/2007, 11:33 PM
Here's Aaron Lewis and his bio. Very good DE.

http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/image_lib/lewis_aaron_175.jpg

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=114

I was kidding, Herr... :texan:

goingoneight
6/8/2007, 11:45 PM
Colt did a great job for a freshmen, and everyone knows he has a National Championship receiver corps and OL to thank for that. When you saw the teams that actually sold out to pressure him (Ohio State, Nebraska, despite OU's turnover problem, the could have done it, aTm), he seemed no different than a Chris Simms who just happened to get a bunch of lucky breaks. And by lucky breaks, I mean a game-sealing TD thanks to another referee ****up at the RRS, a TE fumbling the ball in FG territory against Nebbish, and a team that doesn't field a defense (T Tech).

Not saying the guy isn't good, but you have to admit things sort of went his way for a while. The best example I can give is the RRS. If OU could have just held onto the damn ball, even with FG's on those botched drives, we could have won. UT had just over 100 yards TO, I think... the yards they had were just enough to get in the zone because of OUr gift to them of field position.

Funky G
6/9/2007, 08:58 AM
Tex will win 8-10 just due to their weak schedule. Mack has stated, and I don't necessarily disagree, that he will not play any more high profile competitive games in the off season. To his defense, why should you? Just win against OU and the BCS is a strong bet. Same for us, beat the cows and it's smooth sailing.

Yeah, yeah, the Big 12 is tough, but it's a 2 team league when it comes to the BCS. You know it, and I know it.

Herr Scholz
6/11/2007, 10:58 AM
Ran down from behind, tackled from the side - same thing, right?
Nope. He ran him down from behind. Chased him down the line and caught him. Peterson was trying to get the corner and couldn't.

Rhino
6/11/2007, 11:59 AM
Nope. He ran him down from behind. Chased him down the line and caught him. Peterson was trying to get the corner and couldn't. Ugh. You're dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErSg2Ne-U_I

He stayed in front of him, kept pace with him down the line and yanked him down by the shoulder pads. No matter how far you want to stretch the truth, he didn't "run him down from behind".

If you want to see someone get run down from behind, check out the play at the 7:04 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hxXr8l9kBc

Sit down, son.

Herr Scholz
6/11/2007, 12:25 PM
"You're dumb"? Really?

Lewis ran his butt down from behind. Even if you want to spin it, Peterson still wasn't faster than our DE. Sorry that hurts your feelings, Rhino.

Rhino
6/11/2007, 01:14 PM
Herr, you've become more and more whacked-out in past year or so.

Do you have any understanding of straight lines and angles?
Do you know what "from behind" and "from the side" mean?
Did you even watch the clip to refresh your revisionist memory?

Yes, you're dumb. Really.

I'd call you a moron, but that would name-calling and name-calling isn't allowed.

Mjcpr
6/11/2007, 01:16 PM

I'm pretty sure he knows exactly what "from behind" means.

Just sayin'....

C&CDean
6/11/2007, 01:21 PM
WTF?? I do a drive by on the football board and I see the top 3 threads with "whorns" in the title?

Judas H. Priest riding a burnt orange faggot bovine, you people over on this board need to cop a ****ing life. "Whorns this, and whorns that..." No wonder the football board sucks so bad. Geez.

Herr Scholz
6/11/2007, 01:49 PM
Do you have any understanding of straight lines and angles?
Did you even watch the clip to refresh your revisionist memory?

Yes I do, and like I said, sorry your feelings are hurt that our DE was just as fast as your stellar RB. Just stating it as it happened. No need on my side for childish namecalling.

BASSooner
6/11/2007, 02:19 PM
Oh well that was last year. Good luck to Mr. Lewis on trying to catch demarco or tackling patrick trying to stay conscious.

Petro-Sooner
6/11/2007, 02:22 PM
Well it doesnt help that AD starts 9 yrds behind the line of scrimmage. Scoot the hell up boy.

Herr Scholz
6/11/2007, 02:24 PM
Oh well that was last year. Good luck to Mr. Lewis on trying to catch demarco or tackling patrick trying to stay conscious.
I'm sure Mr. Lewis looks forward to the challenge. Especially without a proven playmaker at your QB position.

BASSooner
6/11/2007, 02:25 PM
I'm sure Mr. Lewis looks forward to the challenge. Especially without a proven playmaker at your QB position.
True, but we are solidified everywhere else. I would like to see Mr. Lewis try break through Mr. Loadholt. =)

Plus I think Mr. Bradford, Nichol, and Halzle are in the same situation colt mccoy was in.

Herr Scholz
6/11/2007, 02:26 PM
True, but we are solidified everywhere else. I would like to see Mr. Lewis try break through Mr. Loadholt. =)
He'll just run around that mountain.

BASSooner
6/11/2007, 02:28 PM
It makes things a bit tougher when your running around a guy that is a 100 pounds more than the guy who started last year(did he match up against messner?)

Herr Scholz
6/11/2007, 02:41 PM
It makes things a bit tougher when your running around a guy that is a 100 pounds more than the guy who started last year(did he match up against messner?)
Not sure.

Soonerfan1993
6/13/2007, 07:46 PM
Texas will go 10-2 but not play in the big 12 championship game like always and beat **** poor state in the Holiday/Alamo Bowl.

Scott D
6/13/2007, 08:22 PM
y'all are some obsessed mutha****ahs....**** texas.

MiccoMacey
6/13/2007, 09:34 PM
"You're dumb"? Really?

Lewis ran his butt down from behind. Even if you want to spin it, Peterson still wasn't faster than our DE. Sorry that hurts your feelings, Rhino.

Sorry Herr. Lewis was never behind him to run him down.

He beat AD to the corner...but he never ran him down from behind.

Big Red Ron
6/13/2007, 11:59 PM
Sorry Herr. Lewis was never behind him to run him down.

He beat AD to the corner...but he never ran him down from behind.Yeah, it was obvious at the game. The only RB that's been run down in that game, I can remember, was Benson by Mr. Harris.

OnlyOneOklahoma
6/14/2007, 08:57 AM

Plus I think Mr. Bradford is in the same situation colt mccoy was in.

I took the liberty of fixing it for the board...i liked the original but this just felt so right...RS frosh ftw

CincySooner
6/14/2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah, it was obvious at the game. The only RB that's been run down in that game, I can remember, was Benson by Mr. Harris.

Lets not forget when Tommie Harris ran down TFRW on an end-around. He turned a 20-30 yard gain into a 9 yard gain in the blink of an eye.