PDA

View Full Version : Will the United States be at the mercy of foriegn corn producers soon?

royalfan5
6/6/2007, 01:37 PM
So the UNL Corn projects that tgiven the current pace of ethanol expansion the United States will become a net corn importer in 2009. We will likely import our corn from Argentina and South Africa, and pay a lot more for it, which will spread to all commodity based things we buy. This will be good for some people, and bad for others, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Petro-Sooner
6/6/2007, 01:40 PM
Fossil fuels are your friend. Use them. :texan:

Mjcpr
6/6/2007, 01:48 PM
Sometimes a plant or two of corn grows underneath our bird feeder.

Does that help at all?

Scott D
6/6/2007, 01:49 PM
royalfan I've been wanting to ask you....do you guys in Nebraska get much info on the Illinois attempt to create a biosoy fuel?

royalfan5
6/6/2007, 01:57 PM
royalfan I've been wanting to ask you....do you guys in Nebraska get much info on the Illinois attempt to create a biosoy fuel?
As in Biodiesel? Or another variant? I haven't dealt with Soy stuff to directly, but the corn run up has spiked Soy prices as well which would hinder the cost effectiveness of biodiesel. I will ask around the department and see what the other folk know.

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2007, 02:06 PM
Yo, RF - when you gonna get that cellulosic ethanol thing working so we don't have to worry about this? ;)

Scott D
6/6/2007, 02:07 PM
As in Biodiesel? Or another variant? I haven't dealt with Soy stuff to directly, but the corn run up has spiked Soy prices as well which would hinder the cost effectiveness of biodiesel. I will ask around the department and see what the other folk know.

I believe it was for biodiesel but I can't say for sure. I remember seeing signs referring to working on development of soy for fuel purposes, and it gave a website whose name eludes me at this moment.

Apparently the city of Springfield in Illinois (since every damn state in the midwest has a Springfield) is running it's busses on soy biodiesel, and has been for the last 4 years.

found the site (http://www.ilsoy.org/)

royalfan5
6/6/2007, 02:10 PM
Yo, RF - when you gonna get that cellulosic ethanol thing working so we don't have to worry about this? ;)
It's the infrastructure and agronomic effects that will be the problem with celluose. Anyway you do it is very soil depleting, and it doesn't transport or store well, and would require an independent pipeline network.

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2007, 02:12 PM
Buzzkill. ;)

Scott D
6/6/2007, 02:16 PM
It's the infrastructure and agronomic effects that will be the problem with celluose. Anyway you do it is very soil depleting, and it doesn't transport or store well, and would require an independent pipeline network.

really, how difficult can it be to suck the fat out of people to use as gas? :D

toast
6/6/2007, 02:20 PM
texas tech fans should begin storing up on tortillas now