PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele preview info....

Geekboy
6/6/2007, 05:49 AM
Magazine was released yesterday but still hasn't shown up at alot of places.
Here is some preview info:

http://www.maddenmania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159832

swardboy
6/6/2007, 08:14 AM
Nice to see our DB's get the recognition. However it really bugs me that we have such talented physical specimans at tight end not show up on that list. And I believe it's OUr fault! Finley and Gresham should take over games with their pass-catching ability and strength. Why oh why don't we utilize their awesome gifts more? What an aid to a developing QB they could be this fall, but I fear more of the same......

colleyvillesooner
6/6/2007, 09:15 AM
Malcom Kelly should be higher....

BASSooner
6/6/2007, 09:53 AM
Nice to see our DB's get the recognition. However it really bugs me that we have such talented physical specimans at tight end not show up on that list. And I believe it's OUr fault! Finley and Gresham should take over games with their pass-catching ability and strength. Why oh why don't we utilize their awesome gifts more? What an aid to a developing QB they could be this fall, but I fear more of the same......
I think part of it was because we relied heavily on the running game last year. I assume that he assumes the same scenario for this season

Collier11
6/6/2007, 10:31 AM
Our TE's numbers were average at best last year( 30 catches/420yds between the 3), they will be better this year and get alot more recognition as the season goes on.

boomersooner28
6/6/2007, 11:11 AM
Reggie Smith?????

OSUAggie
6/6/2007, 11:59 AM
He's in the SS section. For some reason.

MiccoMacey
6/6/2007, 12:54 PM
Tashard Choice, who couldn't start at OU, is listed above our current RB, who had somewhere close to 150 ypg average.

May be a little nitpicky, but I'd like to see AP get a little more credit.

Sooner in Tampa
6/6/2007, 01:11 PM
3 Things I took away from that...

1) OUr RB's are NOT 20th that is pure bullspit
2) As someone stated ealier Kelley is WAY better than 23
3) Effing sandaggies from Lubbock are just plain retarded!!!

Oklahoma.... I honestly can't believe they are ranked this high... I truly can't help but laugh.

There is no need to elaborate. I'm not saying that my school will be better in the big 12 south... but I know for a fact OU will not end up this high at the end of the season. Texas A&M has the best upward potential of any team in the big 12... I don't see why they aren't ranked higher.

htownsooner7
6/6/2007, 01:20 PM
I listen to Phil Steele on the radio every week during football season. He is pretty damn accurate and gives much credit to OUr Sooners. Gripes.. Granger should be in the list of DTs and the unit as whole should be ranked (3 'starters' return plus McCoy and Taylor), a couple other offensive lineman should be mentioned, OUr RB's should get more cred, and Mike Reed should be noted. Besides that, Steele does a good job. I'd love to be the highest ranked team in the Big XII at the end of the year..

OU Adonis
6/6/2007, 04:23 PM
As individual units he ranks us low, but our overall team rank is #3?

colleyvillesooner
6/6/2007, 05:02 PM

Dude, there are only 8 rankings and we are NR, 20, 10, 3, 12, 20, 1, and 1.

We are in the Top 5 in OL, DB and Special Teams, three very important areas.

rankin07
6/6/2007, 05:10 PM
WOW lol malcolm kelly proved himself last year and year before he is legitimate top 10 wr in the nation...and they have him at 23? WOW is all i got to say and branndon braxton and phil LOADholt will be top tackles by end of season and jon cooper should be on the list for centers...and what about joe john finley for te's? he did great last year and gresham will have a monster year i think

TopDawg
6/6/2007, 05:19 PM

CVS already pointed this out, but there are many teams that would be thrilled to make the top 10 in ONE of those categories. We are top 5 in three and top 12 in two more. There's only one where we're not ranked.

I'm all for our players being ranked highly, and while we may "know" more about the OU players, Phil Steele knows more about the rest of the players in the nation. Based on what you all have said (I didn't click on the link...I like as much of it to be new to me as possible when I pick up the mag), I think Kelly should be higher, but I'll defer to Steele on most of the other stuff.

OU Adonis
6/6/2007, 05:19 PM
Dude, there are only 8 rankings and we are NR, 20, 10, 3, 12, 20, 1, and 1.

We are in the Top 5 in OL, DB and Special Teams, three very important areas.

That would put around #11th if you averaged that. Not even in the top 10.

TopDawg
6/6/2007, 05:25 PM

Average out how the other teams did. I bet there aren't more than 3 of them that are higher.

colleyvillesooner
6/6/2007, 05:26 PM

LSU and WV aren't in the Top 10 by average either.

USC is hands down the best.

4, 3, 19, 6, 2, 1, 2, NR

TopDawg
6/6/2007, 05:28 PM
LSU and WV aren't in the Top 10 by average either.

USC is hands down the best.

4, 3, 19, 6, 2, 1, 2, NR

But even that averages out to about 8.

Salt City Sooner
6/6/2007, 05:43 PM
Tashard Choice, who couldn't start at OU, is listed above our current RB, who had somewhere close to 150 ypg average.

May be a little nitpicky, but I'd like to see AP get a little more credit.
I would too, but I really don't have a problem with him being below Tashard at this point. Both committed the same crime (for lack of a better term) at OU, in that neither could beat out AD, so that aspect of things is a wash, IMO. Choice, to this point however, has a better body of work than Patrick. He led the ACC in rushing & was 9th in the nation in that category last year with just under 1,500 yards, while AP had 4 good games in his 5 starts filling in for AD.

TopDawg
6/6/2007, 08:18 PM
I think I figured out the Malcolm Kelly problem.

I picked up my issue today and on the Oklahoma page they have a picture of #4, WR, Oklahoma.

The caption says Malcolm Kelly. My eyes say Travis Wilson.

Geekboy
6/6/2007, 08:57 PM
According to Steele and Athlons and Lindys and Sportsline and God knows who else out there, USC is dominating the top ten players in almost all positions.

According to their stats USC should win every single team this year by at least 24 points and they should beat every NFL team by at least 14 points and win the Super Bowl by a large margin!!

I'm calling bullchit on all of this and am predicting UCLA beats them again this year.

MiccoMacey
6/6/2007, 09:04 PM
UCLA only loses..what...like one starter or something like that? This year will tell if Karl Dorral (sp) is for real.

USC has 10 players returning on defense (minus any underclassmen who went pro...not sure if any did or not). I give them the lead as favorite easily.

TopDawg
6/6/2007, 09:19 PM
UCLA only loses..what...like one starter or something like that? This year will tell if Karl Dorral (sp) is for real.

USC has 10 players returning on defense (minus any underclassmen who went pro...not sure if any did or not). I give them the lead as favorite easily.

They didn't have any players drafted in the first round, so I doubt they had any underclassmen go pro.

Everybody I've heard/read says USC has more talent than any other team, but that their schedule may do them in.

Geekboy
6/6/2007, 09:32 PM
They didn't have any players drafted in the first round, so I doubt they had any underclassmen go pro.

Everybody I've heard/read says USC has more talent than any other team, but that their schedule may do them in.
Correct. Last year USC also had the greatest players in the world in every position but had no players go in the first round. LSU had four in the first round. I guess the pros don't know what they're talking about. I'm sick of the USC crap year in and year out. Because of their weird, position of the planets, victory over OU a few years back they are the Gods of college football even though most can't see that win as bizarre fluke. No way USC was that much better than OU. I would have loved to see a five game series between those two teams.

TopDawg
6/6/2007, 10:06 PM
Correct. Last year USC also had the greatest players in the world in every position but had no players go in the first round.

Scary, isn't it? They're all coming back.

Sure, they'll miss Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarrett, but their defense is going to be stout and they replace most of their holes on offense with upperclassmen (only 2 sophomores slated to start).

goingoneight
6/6/2007, 11:15 PM
USC can easily do what they've done consistently under Carroll, and that is win themselves to a BCS bowl game. This year, they're stocked with upperclassmen, and didn't look too shabby after losing two Heismans. I think Booty had more yards passing than Leinfart did at season's end. One thing I know for sure is they can turn it on when they really need to, that offensive performance in the Rose Bowl was extremely neat and balanced. They don't have the ground game they used to, but still a sufficient GG to win the PAC 10.

2008... no Booty, insert headcase Dirty Sanchez or Mitch Cumstain, and hit that defense with a semi. USC supposedly had some "rebuilding to do in 2006," but they'll definitely have some work cut out for them in 2008. So IMHO, if someone can embarass them in the MNC game they'll likely make... I'll be a happy camper.

Big Red Ron
6/7/2007, 12:23 AM
We have the GREATEST OFFENSE EVER!

40. Oklahoma State

:rolleyes:

goingoneight
6/7/2007, 01:04 AM
^^^ Funny how that works, huh? :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/7/2007, 09:54 AM
22. Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma

not bad for a kid who has NEVER PLAYED A DOWN

JohnnyMack
6/7/2007, 10:12 AM
jkm sighting!!!!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2007, 10:20 AM
Scary, isn't it? They're all coming back.

Sure, they'll miss Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarrett, but their defense is going to be stout and they replace most of their holes on offense with upperclassmen (only 2 sophomores slated to start).

Exactly. That was the worst reasoning ever.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/7/2007, 03:37 PM
1) OUr RB's are NOT 20th that is pure bullspit

I completely agree with that. He had LSU 8 spots ahead of us on the RB list and their running game was non-existent last year. That's what kept them from winning the NC.

goingoneight
6/7/2007, 07:05 PM
Can we get Heupel in the weight room again and sneak him into Bradford's #14 jersey again? :D

I'd love to shock the world again!!! :D

OSUAggie
6/7/2007, 07:59 PM
People might notice that he was throwing with the wrong arm.... Maybe.

insuranceman_22
6/7/2007, 10:56 PM
going on 8 - they might catch the switch (lefty-righty thing), but I do like the creativity!

I know I'll forget, but I'd really like to see this at the conclusion of the season. I think there will a lot of changes.

goingoneight
6/8/2007, 12:57 AM
People might notice that he was throwing with the wrong arm.... Maybe.

Put a fake cast on the right arm and say "he's just THAT GOOD..." :D

That's not half as bad as the people who thought we could sneak Jason White in against TCU. Well, nevermind... I guess he does look kinda like Paul Thompson. :D

goingoneight
6/8/2007, 12:58 AM
I have an Athlon's 2006 pre-season magazine in my magazine rack by the fireplace that has us NUMBER 1!!!

Big Red Ron
6/21/2007, 12:19 AM
I have an Athlon's 2006 pre-season magazine in my magazine rack by the fireplace that has us NUMBER 1!!!That's what happens when you are so eager to be the first mag out that you don't even wait until spring ball is finished before you go to press.

goingoneight
6/21/2007, 12:34 AM
Brhomar was still at OU when Spring Ball was over. I think AD, Brohmar and the "greatest Stoops defese yet" was their reasoning.

"Oregon is a challenge, but nothing compared to BIG 12 venues..." :mad:

As compared to what, jones AT&T Stadium???

OnlyOneOklahoma
6/21/2007, 08:28 AM
i am new to this, what magazine is the preview in? ^^ i like the TT iceburn

NS5
6/21/2007, 12:36 PM
Someone help me out. I have never paid any attention to him. Is Adarius Bowman a really good WR. Better than MK, AT ????

Collier11
6/21/2007, 12:44 PM
Bowman is a physical freak who is really good but has a knack of dropping passes, I personally dont think he is better than MK and neither do NFL scouts, but apparently he is according to the pundits who pick preseason all-conf teams. He will likely put up better stats so I guess there is your answer

Big Red Ron
6/21/2007, 01:09 PM
Bowman is a physical freak who is really good but has a knack of dropping passes, I personally dont think he is better than MK and neither do NFL scouts, but apparently he is according to the pundits who pick preseason all-conf teams. He will likely put up better stats so I guess there is your answerHe has a seasoned QB to throw him the ball. If numb nuts hadn't have been kicked off the team, MK would be the Big XII (probably national) WR cover boy.

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2007, 01:11 PM
Yep. His being an idiot hurt everybody.