PDA

View Full Version : Mike Rich

usmc-sooner
6/5/2007, 09:18 PM
What do you think about Gravel (Dem-AK)

Although I don't agree with him on everything I thought he had some good points, especially on certain Democrats being total hypocrits and sell outs. (yeah yeah I know Rep's do this too) I just thought he made some good points.

Frozen Sooner
6/5/2007, 09:41 PM
The guy running for President?

You know, I haven't paid much attention to him. I'm pretty sure he hasn't held office in my lifetime. I'll check him out, though.

usmc-sooner
6/5/2007, 09:44 PM
I think so, he was in the debates. He was hard on a few of the Democrats. He was also hard on the Bush Administration but he sure wasn't giving any free passes to his fellow Democrats.

soonerscuba
6/5/2007, 09:47 PM
He was also the only Dem in favor of making English the official language. For the life of me I cannot understand why people are against this, except to pander to the our new amigos.

Frozen Sooner
6/5/2007, 09:48 PM
Was Ben Franklin pandering to the Latino vote?

usmc-sooner
6/5/2007, 09:50 PM
He was also the only Dem in favor of making English the official language. For the life of me I cannot understand why people are against this, except to pander to the our new amigos.

I agree

soonerscuba
6/5/2007, 09:51 PM
Was Ben Franklin pandering to the Latino vote?

I'm stupid on this, care to fill me in?

Frozen Sooner
6/5/2007, 09:52 PM
Ben Franklin was opposed to English being the official language of the US. Not much to fill in.

soonerscuba
6/5/2007, 10:03 PM
Oh. Well, the issue isn't of super-high importance to me, but I feel that empires that consolidate language into a mandated form, tend to retain and have more funding towards literature. Beyond that, immigrants aren't stupid, I think that they know to really make it, they will have to learn English.

olevetonahill
6/5/2007, 10:19 PM
Ben Franklin was opposed to English being the official language of the US. Not much to fill in.
In Bens Day . Didnt Every Dayum one that Came to Merica , Learn English ?
Ya know To be able to Deal ! ?

royalfan5
6/5/2007, 10:21 PM
Many of the European immigrants of the 19th century were able to function just fine without much knowledge of English. Hell, there are still parts of Nebraska where Czech is still a commonly used language of conversation.

usmc-sooner
6/5/2007, 10:23 PM

I think we should speak Japanese on the West Coast, English in the North Central, Spanish in the Southwest, Sioux Indian in the Southeast, and French in the Northeast.

I'm sure that would make things better

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:26 PM
Shouldn't Sioux be North Central.

olevetonahill
6/5/2007, 10:29 PM
Many of the European immigrants of the 19th century were able to function just fine without much knowledge of English. Hell, there are still parts of Nebraska where Czech is still a commonly used language of conversation.
Yea But yer talking Nebbish here !
Not Merica :D

usmc-sooner
6/5/2007, 10:29 PM
Shouldn't Sioux be North Central.

Shouldn't Spanish be in Mexico

royalfan5
6/5/2007, 10:30 PM
I think we should speak Japanese on the West Coast, English in the North Central, Spanish in the Southwest, Sioux Indian in the Southeast, and French in the Northeast.

I'm sure that would make things better
There are counties that have a plethora of languages spoken within their borders and do okay. Spain and Belgium come to mind.

olevetonahill
6/5/2007, 10:34 PM
There are counties that have a plethora of languages spoken within their borders and do okay. Spain and Belgium come to mind.
This Be Merica:D
Speak what ya want . But Iffin Ya want My help ?
Speaka da english :D

usmc-sooner
6/5/2007, 10:37 PM

Spain and Belgium are real peaches :rolleyes:

you would've done a lot better just listing the USA

usmc-sooner
6/5/2007, 10:38 PM

not Cleveland County

by Gawd :D

royalfan5
6/5/2007, 10:44 PM
Spain and Belgium are real peaches :rolleyes:

you would've done a lot better just listing the USA
They have thrived economically in recent years, and haven't torn themselves apart in Civil Wars, even with the Basque separtists. Switzerland has multiple languages and has done just fine.

soonerboomer93
6/5/2007, 10:45 PM
heck, I communicate in as many as 3 different languages to people

a little langue experience won't hurt most americans...

usmc-sooner
6/5/2007, 10:52 PM
heck, I communicate in as many as 3 different languages to people

a little langue experience won't hurt most americans...

I can speak English, Spanish and a lot but not fluently in my tribal language.

usmc-sooner
6/5/2007, 10:53 PM
They have thrived economically in recent years, and haven't torn themselves apart in Civil Wars, even with the Basque separtists. Switzerland has multiple languages and has done just fine.

well By Gawd let's do as they do :rolleyes:

royalfan5
6/5/2007, 10:54 PM
well By Gawd let's do as they do :rolleyes:
I'm just saying it's not the end of the world if there are multiple languages. English is the international language of business which is a big advantage for the United States.