PDA

View Full Version : Met Travis Lewis's Dad today

LoyalFan
6/4/2007, 11:01 PM
Walked into an establishment and there was a fellow wearing an OU cap. Well, natch, I went back to the vehicle and donned mine.
He introduced himself and said he and his family had, in fact, just returned from OK where they'd dropped off their son at OU in prep for his freshman year as a Sooner football player...linebacker.
I asked the lad's name and WOW! Travis Lewis, the phenom from San Antonio Lee. Travis, as you may recall, decommitted from The Kids of The Korn to become a Sooner.
I may just get a ticket or two!

LF

birddog
6/4/2007, 11:09 PM
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=52100

sweet! i'm sure his family will enjoy seeing his son's team lift the crystal ball.

goingoneight
6/5/2007, 02:34 AM
F'n hillbillies, pfft!

OUster
6/5/2007, 05:23 PM
I honk everytime I see another OU plate here in San Antonio. There are more amongst us than one might think being so damn close to Austin. Where were you when you saw the Lewis' dad?

rankin07
6/5/2007, 05:28 PM
Travis Lewis is gonna be a beast

LoyalFan
6/6/2007, 08:50 AM
Where were you when you saw the Lewis' dad?

I happened to drop in a local establishment on a condolence visit to a friend whose mom had passed away. I believe he was there on a similar mission.
What would have taken perhaps five minutes for either of us turned into a nice session of him telling me a lot about Travis's excellent work ethic and determination and me "briefing" him re the history and greatness of Sooner Football. He works in that neighborhood so I may have more chances to meet with him. Nice guy!
Funny thing, though, he kept referring to Coach "SNoops", LOL! I fixed that, BTW.
You can bet I'll be paying special attention to Travis's career at OU. His HS career was one of great accomplishment and frustration. You see, he played for Robt. E. Lee, once a powerhouse, now a weak sister in one of the most powerful 5A districts in Texas (26-5A).
As such, he played annual games v. my alma mater, MacArthur. Mac, by the way, was picked no better than 6th (in district) in the pre-06 season polls, but wound up being the last San Antonio 5A team standing in the playoffs, losing in the semis. Talk about overachievers!
If Travis had been so fortunate as to attend and play for Mac, Reagan, Smithson Valley, Madison, all in 26-5A, etc, his individual stats may not have been so amazing, in that he'd have had help and not been a one-man team, but he would have had a chance at championships. Sad. Of course, having him at Mac might just have been enough extra to have earned the state 5A DivII title for the Brahmas.
As it was, he labored hard for the Volunteers and earned national recognition and bids from some major programs. He'd have been noticed regardless of his school's record, but I do wish he had something better to look back on.
So, even though he played for our one-time arch-rival, I'm wishing him all the best.

LF