PDA

View Full Version : I'm surprised nobody's talking about the Yankees/Red Sox series that just finished.

TopDawg
6/4/2007, 06:19 PM
What a great series. Combined score of 21-21. I was proud of the way the Yankees played in Fenway. Aside from that one horrendous defensive inning, the Yankees really outplayed the Sox all around. Unfortunately that one horrendous defensive inning cost them the 2nd game, but that stuff happens.

That game last night was pretty intense. I haven't been that into a pro baseball game in a long time.

Ok, now you are all welcome to talk about how far down in the standings the Yankees still are. Go ahead, get it out of your system.

yermom
6/4/2007, 06:37 PM
baseball season started?

royalfan5
6/4/2007, 06:48 PM
Why would I care about it any more than any other battle of a first place team and a cellar dwellar.

TopDawg
6/4/2007, 09:03 PM
Why would I care about it any more than any other battle of a first place team and a cellar dwellar.

Well, perhaps because it is one of baseball's greatest rivalries and it was, like I said, a great series.

But if you prefer, you can go ahead and make some more predictable (in fact, predicted) jokes.

JohnnyMack
6/4/2007, 09:11 PM
But if you prefer, you can go ahead and make some more predictable (in fact, predicted) jokes.

How 'bout instead we talk about how the Yanks followed up the series with a horrendous effort against the Pale Hose? That was sad.

The Yankees are playing to the level of their competition right now.

They're not a threat to anyone at this point.

TopDawg
6/4/2007, 09:25 PM
The Yankees are playing to the level of their competition right now.

They're not a threat to anyone at this point.

Wait. That makes no sense. If they're playing to the level of their competition right now then they are a threat to everybody they're playing.

But I see what you're saying. They're playing just below their level of competition right now. Going into last night's game they were 2-10 in one-run games. I'm not sure if last night's one-run win got them out of last place in the AL in that stat, but it's still not good. I just keep hoping they get it turned around. It's still early and if they can get their pitching staff healthy and figure out how to win those close ones, they've still got a shot at making the post-season.

But, I started this thread to talk about the series this weekend. It was a great one. Somehow the Yankees have figured out how to beat the Red Sox, but nobody else. They're 4-2 in their last 6 games against the Red Sox and, if I had to guess...I'd say that's probably their best record against any team in the AL over their past 6 games.

But, yeah, if you wanna take the aggie route, change the subject to the game tonight. Congrats to the Pale Hose on getting a 2-run victory in a matchup pitting Garland against DeSalvo.

birddog
6/4/2007, 11:23 PM
baseball season started?

unfortunately, i'm pretty sure it never ends.

i'll wait it out til the playoffs.

GrapevineSooner
6/4/2007, 11:50 PM
Somehow the Yankees have figured out how to beat the Red Sox, but nobody else. They're 4-2 in their last 6 games against the Red Sox and, if I had to guess...I'd say that's probably their best record against any team in the AL over their past 6 games.

Part of me is kind of glad that both teams only have 6 more meetings this season.

TopDawg
6/5/2007, 12:21 AM
Part of me is kind of glad that both teams only have 6 more meetings this season.

Wow. I can't believe that. I mean, it did kinda think it was weird that they were playing so many series early on, but I didn't realize that they were already 2/3 of the way through their season series.

Blue
6/5/2007, 01:13 AM
Obligatory, "You're up my NASCAR thread talking smack, so **** the Yankees and Sox" response.

How could anybody who isn't from Boston or New York give a crap about these two teams?

GrapevineSooner
6/5/2007, 09:10 AM
As stated before, Oklahomans tend to have a following towards the Yanks because of a certain guy with the last name of Mantle. Among other reasons.

As for me, I've been a Sox fan since the '86 meltdown. I guess I felt sorry for them as a kid back then and have just grown as a fan. :D

BTW, last night's extra inning game in Oakland was a ****ah. :mad:

royalfan5
6/5/2007, 11:42 AM
Well, perhaps because it is one of baseball's greatest rivalries and it was, like I said, a great series.

As a Royals fan I give about the same amount of care to that rivalry as I do OU/Texas as a Nebraska fan.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2007, 11:46 AM
To be fair a Royals fan would be pretty much the expert on Cellar Dweller Vs Anyone Excitement Scale..they have had lots of practice ;)

Newbomb Turk
6/5/2007, 12:02 PM
They're 4-2 in their last 6 games against the Red Sox

too bad they were 1-5 in their first 6 games vs. the Red Sox.

TopDawg
6/5/2007, 04:17 PM
too bad they were 1-5 in their first 6 games vs. the Red Sox.

I'm less worried about that than I am their record against the rest of the league.

But thanks for contributing to the conversation!

sooneron
6/5/2007, 09:29 PM
If the Yankees turn anything around, I may have to take credit. I turned tonight's game on, they were down 1 and looking pathetic. I said, "I can't stand to watch these ******* losers" as I had the channel guide on, Cairo hits a tying run in. They are now up 6-1 and I haven't changed the channel.

Scott D
6/5/2007, 09:44 PM
you can turn it off so that they can go ahead and lose.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 10:29 PM
heh

I may have to see this through for a few nights.

TopDawg
6/5/2007, 10:35 PM
If the Yankees turn anything around, I may have to take credit. I turned tonight's game on, they were down 1 and looking pathetic. I said, "I can't stand to watch these ******* losers" as I had the channel guide on, Cairo hits a tying run in. They are now up 6-1 and I haven't changed the channel.

MVP!

Keep up the good work.

TopDawg
6/5/2007, 10:36 PM
you can turn it off so that the yanquis (hyuck hyuck hyuck) can go ahead and lose.

fixed

Scott D
6/5/2007, 10:47 PM
Hey now, I haven't called them the Yanquis for a long time. :)

Then again I'm a White Sox fan, so if I never heard another story about the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs again I'd be a happy camper.

sooneron
6/5/2007, 11:02 PM
One time... On a Modell's sporting goods shoot...

Jeter... said the funniest thing to me...

TopDawg
6/5/2007, 11:10 PM
Hey now, I haven't called them the Yanquis for a long time. :)

heh...good jorb!

Then again I'm a White Sox fan, so if I never heard another story about the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs again I'd be a happy camper.

I'm confused. As a White Sox fan, it seems to me that most stories about the Cubs would make you laugh. :D

Scott D
6/5/2007, 11:13 PM
heh...good jorb!

I'm confused. As a White Sox fan, it seems to me that most stories about the Cubs would make you laugh. :D

Nah, as a White Sox fan few things would make me happier than the media forgetting that there is a Cubs franchise altogether :)

illinisooner
6/7/2007, 02:21 PM
Obligatory, "You're up my NASCAR thread talking smack, so **** the Yankees and Sox" response.

How could anybody who isn't from Boston or New York give a crap about these two teams?

ESPN is really pushing this as THE rivalry in sports, as they do with Duke/UNC during basketball season, but most of the country doesn't care. The northeast cares, but that's about it. Maybe in 2003 and 2004, it was different, when everyone was rooting for the Red Sox to take down the Yanks in the ALCS. After the Sox won the Series, the nationwide lovefest died down when people realized Sox fans were just as annoying as Yanks fans, spent as much money, thought their team was the best ever, etc.

You won't get the midwest to believe that Red Sox/Yanks is better than Cards/Cubs, or California to believe that it's better than Dodgers/Giants. Giants/Dodgers or Cubs/Cards highlights are buried in mid Sportscenter, while Yanks/Sox are always in the first five minutes.

TopDawg
6/7/2007, 05:08 PM
ESPN is really pushing this as THE rivalry in sports, as they do with Duke/UNC during basketball season, but most of the country doesn't care. The northeast cares, but that's about it. Maybe in 2003 and 2004, it was different, when everyone was rooting for the Red Sox to take down the Yanks in the ALCS. After the Sox won the Series, the nationwide lovefest died down when people realized Sox fans were just as annoying as Yanks fans, spent as much money, thought their team was the best ever, etc.

You won't get the midwest to believe that Red Sox/Yanks is better than Cards/Cubs, or California to believe that it's better than Dodgers/Giants. Giants/Dodgers or Cubs/Cards highlights are buried in mid Sportscenter, while Yanks/Sox are always in the first five minutes.

I think some of you misunderstood my "I'm surprised nobody is talking about..." for "I'm surprised everybody isn't talking about..." I know that many people on here don't care. But we've got several BoSox fans and several Yankee fans, and it was a good series, so I was surprised that none of them were talking about it.

You may be right that most of the country doesn't care as much about NY/BO since the Sox won it all. That's a good observation. But do you think more of the country cares about Cubs/Cards or Giants/Dodgers than Yankees/Red Sox? It's still the biggest rivalry in baseball.

Scott D
6/7/2007, 05:22 PM
I think that most of the country is apathetic about any rivalry in baseball that doesn't involve their team.

TopDawg
6/7/2007, 05:23 PM
I think that most of the country is apathetic about any rivalry in baseball that doesn't involve their team.

I don't doubt that at all. Which is kinda what I was getting at in my last post.

illinisooner
6/7/2007, 06:26 PM
I think some of you misunderstood my "I'm surprised nobody is talking about..." for "I'm surprised everybody isn't talking about..." I know that many people on here don't care. But we've got several BoSox fans and several Yankee fans, and it was a good series, so I was surprised that none of them were talking about it.

You may be right that most of the country doesn't care as much about NY/BO since the Sox won it all. That's a good observation. But do you think more of the country cares about Cubs/Cards or Giants/Dodgers than Yankees/Red Sox? It's still the biggest rivalry in baseball.

Ah I gotcha, I didn't realize there were many Yanks/Sox fans on here. But honestly, I think all the "big" rivalries are pretty much equal, they all have their different elements. But ask someone from San Francisco, someone from Chicago, and someone from Boston what the biggest rivalry in baseball is, and you'll get 3 different answers.

I'd venture to say that more of the country cares about Cubs/Cards, since they both have huge fan bases covering several states in the midwest. Dodgers/Giants is largely limited to Cali, and outside of NYC, Mass, and the small NE states, the Sox/Yanks isn't that big. For a long time, St. Louis and Chicago were two of the westernmost (and biggest) teams in baseball, so they have fans in markets that have other teams (Kansas City, Denver, Milwaukee, etc). It's also the reason why there are alot of Cards fans in Oklahoma, Iowa, and Illinois.

Cards radio (KMOX in St. Louis) back in the day, used to reach something like 38 states when baseball was still king. People who are grandparents today passed down Cardinals baseball to their kids and so on, even though some teams were closer because of expansion and relocation. The Cubs built their non Chicago/Illinois fanbase through WGN, although that happened moreso because of TV. I don't know, maybe I'm just a midwest homer, but it seems like the Yanks/Sox gets waaaaaay too much media coverage over the other rivalries. If ESPN was based in Los Angeles or Chicago, we might be screaming midwest or west coast bias too.

GrapevineSooner
6/8/2007, 11:44 AM
To be fair, ESPN televises a number of Dodgers/Giants game and Cubs/Cards games as well.

IMO, the biggest reason why the sports MSM pushes the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry is because over the past 10 years, those two teams have combined for 14 post-season appearances. You can't say that about the Cubs/Cards or Giants/Dodgers.

Which might also explain why Red Sox/Yankees is the biggest rivalry in baseball right now. If one of the other two AL East teams took both teams down (which doesn't look likely to occur anytime soon), the rivalry would probably die down quite a bit.

Scott D
6/8/2007, 02:24 PM
Agree. In my (gulp) almost 60 yrs, there have only been 3 phases of Sawx-mfy rivalry that outshone all others in baseball

49-51
1973-77
1999-present

Most of my youth was having to watch Giants/Dodgers on TV ...ALL THE TIME. Later on all we got was Reds, Reds and more Reds. Mid 80s was full of Cardinals and As.

how quickly and intentionally ;) jaux omits the mets being on almost every week from 85-90. :D

TopDawg
9/28/2007, 10:00 AM
Good job, sooneron!