PDA

View Full Version : $90,000 found in Louisiana congressman's freezer

MamaMia
6/4/2007, 02:48 PM
What a creep.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/21/jefferson.search/index.html

Affidavit: $90,000 found in congressman's freezer
FBI wraps up search of Jefferson's office in bribery probe

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Federal agents searched the Capitol Hill office of a Louisiana congressman under investigation on bribery charges Sunday, while newly released court papers said agents found $90,000 in cash last year in his Washington home.

In a 95-page affidavit used to obtain a warrant for the office search, investigators stated that an August 2005 search of Democratic Rep. William Jefferson's home turned up the cash sum in a freezer.

The money was divided among various frozen food containers, according to the heavily redacted affidavit. (Watch what Jefferson said about the 'hell' of being investigated -- 4:47)

Agents told a judge the money was part of a $100,000 payment that had been delivered by an informant in the bribery probe, which already has led to guilty pleas by a Kentucky businessman and a former Jefferson aide.

The Justice Department has been investigating Jefferson's relationship to telecommunications deals in Africa and elsewhere, and the House Ethics Committee launched an investigation of him last week.

The eight-term congressman, whose district includes New Orleans and some of its suburbs, has denied any wrongdoing and vowed to remain in office to battle any criminal charges he may face.

But the affidavit states that investigators have collected evidence linking Jefferson to at least seven other cases in which he "sought things of value in return for his performance of official acts."

Robert Trout, the congressman's lawyer, decried the release of the affidavit. In a statement issued Sunday night, he said it served "no legitimate investigative purpose."

"This disclosure by the prosecutors is part of a public relations agenda and an obvious attempt to embarrass Congressman Jefferson," Trout said. "The affidavit itself is just one side of the story, which has not been tested in court."

He said Jefferson would respond "at the appropriate time" if charged with any wrongdoing.

FBI agents searched Jefferson's office in the Rayburn House Office Building from Saturday evening to early Sunday afternoon, bureau spokeswoman Debra Weierman said. One government official told CNN the search marked the first time FBI agents have searched a lawmaker's Capitol Hill office.

Weierman would not comment on what agents removed from Jefferson's office. But in the papers released Sunday, investigators stated they were searching for faxes, notes, telephone records and other forms of communication, as well as ledgers and computer files related to meetings and travel.

In an earlier statement, Trout called the search of Jefferson's office "outrageous" and said it was not necessary.

"There were no exigent circumstances necessitating this action. The government knew that the documents were being appropriately preserved while proper procedures were being followed. We are dismayed by this action -- the documents weren't going anywhere and the prosecutors knew it," he said.

However, a redacted copy of the search warrant and affidavit stated that federal investigators were unable to obtain the records relevant to the investigation inside Jefferson's office and, "left with no other method," proceeded with the search.

A government official close to the investigation told CNN the search was executed over the weekend when few people are on Capitol Hill because they believed that time would "be appropriate."

Agents had previously searched Jefferson's home in New Orleans. The cash found in his Washington residence was part of a $100,000 payment delivered by a cooperating witness, according to the affidavit, which said the delivery was videotaped by the FBI.

The FBI began investigating Jefferson in March 2005 stemming from accusations made by the witness, a Virginia resident who owns an investment firm.

He told the FBI that he was "a victim of a fraud and bribery scheme" involving Jefferson; Vernon Jackson, CEO of the Louisville, Kentucky-based company iGate; and Brett Pfeffer, the president of the investment firm owned by the unnamed witness and a former Jefferson aide.

According to the affidavit, Jefferson had asked the witness for a percentage ownership interest in his Nigerian broadband company in exchange for the congressman "using his official acts to support the the Nigerian business venture."

Guilty pleas
Jackson pleaded guilty in federal court earlier this month to bribing the congressman with more than $400,000 in payments, company stock and a share of the profits in order to promote iGate's high-tech business ventures in Africa. (Full story)

Pfeffer, of Herndon, Virginia, pleaded guilty in January to aiding and abetting bribery of a public official.

Both have agreed to cooperate with authorities as part of their plea agreements.

The affidavit states Jefferson "attempted to use his position as a United States Congressman" to promote other iGate business ventures in Nigeria, Ghana and possibly other African nations.

"In exchange for his official acts supporting the proposed business ventures," the affidavit said, Jefferson has received a 30 percent equity stake in the witness' Nigerian company and more than $400,000 in payments from iGate.

The 30 percent equity, in the form of stocks, was placed in the name of a Nigerian limited liability corporation held by the congressman's children, the affidavit said.

The cloud over Jefferson comes as Democratic leaders have been attacking what they call a "culture of corruption" surrounding the Republican leadership in Congress.

With midterm elections in November, Democrats are trying to highlight GOP ties to the influence-peddling investigation surrounding lobbyist Jack Abramoff, the indictment of former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay in a Texas court, and last year's guilty plea of California Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, now serving an eight-year stretch for taking bribes from defense contractors.

In a news conference last week, Jefferson said he was innocent and that he would remain in office while he fights any charges. (Full story)

"I wish to say emphatically that in all of my actions that are here under scrutiny, that I have never intended to dishonor my office, or you, the public, and I certainly did not sell my office," Jefferson told reporters.

CNN's Kevin Bohn and Terry Frieden contributed to this report.

BigRedJed
6/4/2007, 03:13 PM
Before somebody tries to turn this into a partisan thread, let me say (and I'm saying it as a lifelong registered Republican), let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Crooks are crooks. They know no party lines, as has been made abundantly clear to us over the past few years.

My advice on this one is for everybody to stay off of their respective partisan high-horses.

Ike
6/4/2007, 03:15 PM
I'm just going to say....

I was just a little ****ed when my wife sold my old refrigerator "as is" in a garage sale before I had a chance to clean it out. I had hidden a little cash in there that she didn't know about.

royalfan5
6/4/2007, 03:16 PM
I was upset about this in August 2005. Now I'm over it.

mikeelikee
6/4/2007, 03:19 PM
I wonder, does this fall under what Speaker Pelosi decried as the "culture of corruption" that she was going to change radically? Hmmmmmm?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/4/2007, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't be very surprised if he remains in office, and is not forced to resign.

BigRedJed
6/4/2007, 03:20 PM
Here we go...

6/4/2007, 03:25 PM
Here we go...What the heck kind of comments are you expecting from ANYONE? "Maybe he's not done anything wrong?" Look, I will join criticism of republicans if/when they do stuff like this. The guy's most likely corrupt, and if he was a republican, the party would force him to quit. Do you think he should stay on as a congressman? If so, why?

royalfan5
6/4/2007, 03:28 PM
I can't believe people are shocked that a congressman from the most corrupt state in the Union is corrupt.

King Crimson
6/4/2007, 03:28 PM
score!

Widescreen
6/4/2007, 03:30 PM
I can't believe people are shocked that a congressman from the most corrupt state in the Union is corrupt.
Beat me to it. I'm shocked...SHOCKED that Louisiana would produce such a rapscallion politician.

Rapscallion, people!

olevetonahill
6/4/2007, 03:36 PM
Cant believe no ones said it !
Mom was this Cold Hard Cash ?:D

BigRedJed
6/4/2007, 03:52 PM
What the heck kind of comments are you expecting from ANYONE? "Maybe he's not done anything wrong?" Look, I will join criticism of republicans if/when they do stuff like this. The guy's most likely corrupt, and if he was a republican, the party would force him to quit. Do you think he should stay on as a congressman? If so, why?
Where in the world did you get that I think he should remain in congress? If it is proven that he did this thing (and it sounds pretty damning so far), it is one of the ultimate breaches of trust possible for an elected official. He should be out on his ear, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. He should go to prison. For a long time.

What kind of comments should people make? They should decry the state of affairs in Washington. The should demand accountability for congressmen who do this sort of thing. They should probably rightly criticize the rampant corruption in Louisiana politics in general. Just don't act like politicians from both parties haven't been guilty of this kind of bull****. You know, and I know, and especially everybody who reads your commentary on here knows, that sometimes some posters (regardless of political affiliation) are capable of acting like the guys on the other side of the aisle have the market cornered on corruption. They don't.

Hatfield
6/4/2007, 03:57 PM
how in the world did this story get brought up as if it just happened?

anyone check the date on this thing....Monday, May 22, 2006

first thing I thought when reading it was....man someone was stupid enough to hide it in the freezer after the other dude got busted....then i realized it was just a rehash of the story

6/4/2007, 03:58 PM
Where in the world did you get that I think he should remain in congress? If it is proven that he did this thing (and it sounds pretty damning so far), it is one of the ultimate breaches of trust possible for an elected official. He should be out on his ear, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. He should go to prison. For a long time.

What kind of comments should people make? They should decry the state of affairs in Washington. The should demand accountability for congressmen who do this sort of thing. They should probably rightly criticize the rampant corruption in Louisiana politics in general. Just don't act like politicians from both parties haven't been guilty of this kind of bull****. You know, and I know, and especially everybody who reads your commentary on here knows, that sometimes some posters (regardless of political affiliation) are capable of acting like the guys on the other side of the aisle have the market cornered on corruption. They don't.Couldn't agree with you more. I simply said I am waiting for him to resign, and would not be terribly surprised if his party fails to kick or pressure him out. I don't know of any republicans indicted for anything like this who have refused to resign. The media would insure that the perp leave office, if the party was slow to remove him/her.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/4/2007, 04:01 PM
In Loosiana, we prefer to keep the ones under investigation in office. If they are being watched they can't steal more from you. It's the ones not under investigation you have to worry about.

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2007, 04:04 PM

What kind of comments should people make? They should decry the state of affairs in Washington. The should demand accountability for congressmen who do this sort of thing. They should probably rightly criticize the rampant corruption in Louisiana politics in general. Just don't act like politicians from both parties haven't been guilty of this kind of bull****. You know, and I know, and especially everybody who reads your commentary on here knows, that sometimes some posters (regardless of political affiliation) are capable of acting like the guys on the other side of the aisle have the market cornered on corruption. They don't.

so its not what you say, just who says it?

olevetonahill
6/4/2007, 04:08 PM
Dayum skippy , Got to keep the lil man Down.
No wheres My hat ?

mikeelikee
6/4/2007, 04:25 PM
The real news story would be if we found a politician from Louisiana, and particularly "Nawlins", who WAS honest. Heck, I still remember the 1996 Senate election, where Woody Jenkins led Mary Landrieu by 90,000 votes, late into the evening, and then what do you know? All of a sudden 100,000 votes from Nawlins put her over the top. How many of them folks was pushin' up daisies, I still wonder?

TUSooner
6/4/2007, 04:26 PM
In Loosiana, we prefer to keep the ones under investigation in office. If they are being watched they can't steal more from you. It's the ones not under investigation you have to worry about.

That as good an excuse as any! :D

MamaMia
6/4/2007, 04:29 PM
I don't think you're 'sposed to freeze lettuce. Mom?Lettuce does not freeze well. The outcome is not good at all. :D

MamaMia
6/4/2007, 04:40 PM
how in the world did this story get brought up as if it just happened?

anyone check the date on this thing....Monday, May 22, 2006

first thing I thought when reading it was....man someone was stupid enough to hide it in the freezer after the other dude got busted....then i realized it was just a rehash of the storyWell, since I was the one who brought it up, I would be happy to oblige you with an answer. Its because he was just indicted today and I thought it would be interesting to know what y'all thought about it all. I apologize for confusing you, or if I made you bored. Sorry. :)

If you want some news on it thats actually brand new, then this is the Bayou Buzzes take on the Senator playing the blame game. :D

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/News/US/Congress/Katrina/Rebuild/New_Orleans_Bill_Jefferson_Blames_Feds_and_Louisia na_Road_Home__2762.asp

soonerboomer93
6/4/2007, 06:10 PM
so what flavor is the moneysicle

I hope it's cherry...

BigRedJed
6/4/2007, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I thought my point was pretty clear, but I'll restate it: anytime something like this article is posted, poster from party A takes shots at party B and acts like nobody in party A has ever done anything like this, ever. Then it turns into a huge "oh yeah, well you guys do THIS..." and "you people are so terrible..." I am so over people from either party taking the moral high ground on corruption issues.

I don't give a rat's *** if it is a Democrat or a Republican who is accused, there is somebody on this board of the opposite political bent who is going to jump out with a sanctimonious tone and make a pitch for how this NEVER would have happened in their party.

You know what? It's total BS. The parties, both parties, are letting us down these days. They are divisive, power-hungry, and in it for what is first and foremost best for THEM, not the country.

So, and I think I'm answering your question JK, it's NOT "who says it." I'm disgusted on an equal-opportunity basis.

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2007, 06:22 PM
no i think you missed my point, but its not a big deal

and i agree with you....

usmc-sooner
6/4/2007, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I thought my point was pretty clear, but I'll restate it: anytime something like this article is posted, poster from party A takes shots at party B and acts like nobody in party A has ever done anything like this, ever. Then it turns into a huge "oh yeah, well you guys do THIS..." and "you people are so terrible..." I am so over people from either party taking the moral high ground on corruption issues.

I don't give a rat's *** if it is a Democrat or a Republican who is accused, there is somebody on this board of the opposite political bent who is going to jump out with a sanctimonious tone and make a pitch for how this NEVER would have happened in their party.

You know what? It's total BS. The parties, both parties, are letting us down these days. They are divisive, power-hungry, and in it for what is first and foremost best for THEM, not the country.

So, and I think I'm answering your question JK, it's NOT "who says it." I'm disgusted on an equal-opportunity basis.

I didn't even know he was Guatamalan, all this time I've been calling him Mexican :D

BigRedJed
6/4/2007, 06:52 PM
no i think you missed my point, but its not a big deal

and i agree with you....
Well, that's why I said "I'm not sure what you mean by that..." I was basically asking for clarification. I'm interested in what your point was, and tried to respond to what I was taking away from it, with the subtext being that I might not be responding to the correct interpretation. I try not to cloak my posts in ambiguity, so when I say "I'm not sure what you mean by that..." I mean: I'm not sure what you mean by that.

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2007, 06:55 PM
my point was that i didnt see any of what you were so worried about in RLIMC's post, yet because he responded, you came back with "here we go", as if he had fired the first volley in the forbidden war

i agree with your sentiment, i just didnt see what he said that was so wrong - however, had somebody not named RLIMC posted the same thing, i kinda think it would have been taken differently

BigRedJed
6/4/2007, 07:03 PM
my point was that i didnt see any of what you were so worried about in RLIMC's post, yet because he responded, you came back with "here we go", as if he had fired the first volley in the forbidden war

i agree with your sentiment, i just didnt see what he said that was so wrong - however, had somebody not named RLIMC posted the same thing, i kinda think it would have been taken differently
Actually I was responding to mikeelikee, where he said:

I wonder, does this fall under what Speaker Pelosi decried as the "culture of corruption" that she was going to change radically? Hmmmmmm?
RLIMC just got in between us. I didn't even notice until after the fact. I wasn't coming after RLIMC at all. I just noticed the hallmarks of one of the threads that turns into a partisan namecalling contest, and tried my best to head it off at the pass.

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2007, 07:03 PM
ahh, ok, well i didnt even see the pelosi post - my bad

BigRedJed
6/4/2007, 07:04 PM
And for the record, Nancy Pelosi is one of my least favorite people in politics.

6/4/2007, 08:43 PM
ahh, ok, well i didnt even see the pelosi post - my badMy, how easy it is to miscommunicate! I didn't see or notice the Pelosi post either.

olevetonahill
6/4/2007, 08:53 PM
And No one has answered MY ?
Was he caught with " Cold Hard Cash " :confused:

mikeelikee
6/4/2007, 10:20 PM
And for the record, Nancy Pelosi is one of my least favorite people in politics.

Well, BRJ, that makes two of us. :D

MamaMia
6/5/2007, 07:16 AM
And No one has answered MY ?
Was he caught with " Cold Hard Cash " :confused: Yes, right from his freezer. :)

VeeJay
6/5/2007, 08:30 AM
Understand where Big Red Jed is coming from, but if I may be so bold, I'd like to petition to allow the political BS to continue and thrive.

Without that, there'd be way too many threads about #2, and for the ladies -shoes.

LoyalFan
6/5/2007, 08:42 AM
I guess it's about time we started a SoonerFans "Office Pool" as to the actual date the dude plays the Race card. Seperate bets for whether he'll appear flanked by Jesse Jack....snnnnnnn (It can't be spelled the way Rush pronounces it, dang it), Al "Call me Tawana" Sharpie, or both.

LF

jk the sooner fan
6/5/2007, 08:44 AM
I guess it's about time we started a SoonerFans "Office Pool" as to the actual date the dude plays the Race card. Seperate bets for whether he'll appear flanked by Jesse Jack....snnnnnnn (It can't be spelled the way Rush pronounces it, dang it), Al "Call me Tawana" Sharpie, or both.

LF

he played that when the story broke months ago

LoyalFan
6/5/2007, 08:55 AM
he played that when the story broke months ago

Yeah, but he gets a mulligan.

LF

TUSooner
6/5/2007, 09:47 AM
I was happy to see in my morning paper that "Dollar Bill' Jefferson has been indicted! The race cards will soon be flying.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/5/2007, 09:50 AM
I'm always using my freezer as a vault...

As BRJ said - both sides are guilty and we should throw all the bums out...

BigRedJed
6/5/2007, 12:45 PM
Understand where Big Red Jed is coming from, but if I may be so bold, I'd like to petition to allow the political BS to continue and thrive.

Without that, there'd be way too many threads about #2, and for the ladies -shoes.
Crap, who am I to deny political discussion on the SO? It's part of the SO's purpose. All I am trying to do is curtail the incivility. We all have to get along on this board to some extent, and yet sometimes people forget that, and they get wrapped around an issue so tightly that they feel they should defend their point of view to an Internet foil to the point of personal attacks or venomous diatribes.

While I agree wholeheartedly that a free exchange of ideas is great, I sometimes think some of us need to remind ourselves that rarely or never are you going to change someone's deeply-held convictions based on posting yours on a fan board, especially if it involves a verbal bludgeoning.

It's not just on this board; it's a symptom of the political climate in general. Personally, I'm sick of it. And I know quite a few others on the board are pretty tired of the personal nature and hate talk (of all kinds, whether it is "I hate you..." or "I hate GWB" or "I hate Democrats/Republicans..." or "I hate (insert race/religious group)..."

And don't take "hate" too literally here. I mean anything in the way of poisonous/personal attacks, condescension or maligning talk.

It's possible to have vastly different political and/or religious values and to discuss them in a civil, even friendly tone, without belittling, threatening, or virtual yelling. It's possible to be a staunch conservative/liberal and to not "hate" liberals/conservatives. It's possible to be a nonbeliver and not "hate" Christians. It's possible (even required, IMO) to be a Christian and not "hate" non-believers or members of other religious groups. It's possible to be white/black/Asian/Hispanic and not "hate" Hispanics/Asians/blacks/whites.

It's possible to be pro-action in the Middle East and anti-fundamentalist/terror, and to understand and appreciate that Islam is pretty out of whack these days, and still not want to see all of that part of the world reduced to "a sheet of glass." It's possbile to be anti-war and not treat its supporters as "evil." It's possible to be adamantly pro-immigration reform and still not "hate" or marginalize all Hispanics (millions of whom are citizens and/or as legal as you or me, and more than a million of whom are veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces.). JMO.

I'm just trying to do my part to keep it civil in the SO, the one part of the world where I can have a little influence. I might be wrong, but I believe that is my role here, to some extent.

I think we should all do more to remember the reason 99% of us are here: we're Sooner fans. Most of us on this board have more in common than we have differences, and we have a common thread that NOBODY else is lucky enough to have, a connection/allegience to the University of Oklahoma.

jk the sooner fan
6/5/2007, 12:46 PM
that was a lot of words

Widescreen
6/5/2007, 12:52 PM
I sometimes think some of us need to remind ourselves that rarely or never are you going to change someone's deeply-held convictions based on posting yours on a fan board, especially if it involves a verbal bludgeoning.
:confused:

Jed, you lost me here. Pretty much every thing I believe and hold dear was learned in the South Oval.

BigRedJed
6/5/2007, 12:53 PM
Wow. You sir, are in trouble.

Widescreen
6/5/2007, 12:56 PM
;)

OklahomaTuba
6/5/2007, 12:59 PM
The real question is, why did it take so long for this to happen, if everyone knew about it two years ago??