PDA

View Full Version : Big XII Running Backs: Columbia Tribune

King Crimson
6/4/2007, 01:33 PM
http://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/Jun/20070603Spor008.asp

Big 12 no longer running back factory
Teams searching for new breed of ball-carriers.

By DAVE MATTER of the Tribune’s staff
Published Sunday, June 3, 2007

Just a few years ago, the Big 12 Conference was a factory for star running backs position. The 2003 NFL Pro Bowl featured three Big 12-bred backs: Ahman Green (Nebraska), Ricky Williams (Texas) and Priest Holmes (Texas.)

Missouri’s Tony Temple is the Big 12 Conference’s leading returning rusher. He gained 1,063 yards last season. As more teams switch to pass-oriented spread offense, the conference is producing fewer star running backs.

But as spread passing offenses became popular, fewer elite backs populated the conference. In the NFL drafts from 2000-06, only four Big 12 backs were selected during the first three rounds, none of whom are established stars in the NFL to date: Chris Brown (Colorado), Tatum Bell (Oklahoma State), Vernand Morency (Oklahoma State) and Cedric Benson (Texas).

The trend could soon change. In April’s draft, Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma) and Brandon Jackson (Nebraska) were taken in the first and second rounds, respectively. There could be more stars on the way.

This week’s Big 12 Countdown looks at the top running backs in the conference. Career statistics were taken into account, as well as durability and versatility. Newcomers - i.e. freshmen and transfers - were not eligible for this list.

12. Chris Alexander, Texas A&M: These days, few teams employ a true fullback like Alexander. The 250-pound blocking back doesn’t get many carries, but he catches the occasional pass, including three for touchdowns last year.

11. Keith Totson, Oklahoma State: Running in the shadow of one of the league’s best backs - keep reading - Totson quietly put together an impressive freshman season last year, averaging almost 6 yards per carry.

10. Hugh Charles, Colorado: Charles has put together a solid career during what’s been an ugly few years for offense in Boulder. He’s carried the ball more than any other back in the league, but has scored only seven touchdowns.

9. James Johnson, Kansas State: It’s possible Johnson might not be the best back on K-State’s roster. The Wildcats waited until midway through the season to give Johnson and freshman Leon Patton extensive playing time last year, but the older Johnson has been a more polished blocker and receiver than Patton, who rushed for more yards and touchdowns last year. Expect them to split carries again this year, though Johnson is the expected starter.

8. Shannon Woods, Texas Tech: If he ever gets out of Mike Leach’s doghouse, Woods could build on a breakthrough sophomore season when he led the league in all-purpose yards. Kobey Lewis was Leach’s preferred back during the spring, but Woods was too productive to be a spectator.

7. Marlon Lucky, Nebraska: For the first time this fall, Lucky should be the featured back for Nebraska now that injuries and defections have depleted the backfield. His only 100-yard games have come against Nicholls State and Troy, but in two seasons, Lucky has carried the ball more than 18 times just once. Other than Texas Tech’s Woods, Lucky is the best receiving threat on this list.

6. Jorvorskie Lane, Texas A&M: At 275 pounds, Lane looks more like a nose tackle. He’s the best short-yardage runner in the country but nimble enough to serve as an every-down tailback. Here’s a great Lane statistic: On 29 third- and fourth-down carries last year, he either scored a touchdown or gained a first down 26 times.

5. Allen Patrick, Oklahoma: When Peterson went down last year, this rugged north-south runner actually improved Oklahoma’s running statistics. His style isn’t fancy - nor did he catch a pass last year - but he proved his toughness logging three consecutive games of 30-plus carries. Minor injuries broke him down late in the season.

4. Dantrell Savage, Oklahoma State: If not for Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, this junior college transfer should have been the league’s newcomer of the year in 2006. Only Peterson and Kansas’ Jon Cornish produced more 100-yard games than Savage’s five. The 5-9, 190-pound speedster didn’t get significant carries until midway through the season, but he made the most of his chances with 100-yard games against Texas A&M, Nebraska, Baylor, Texas Tech and Alabama in the Independence Bowl.

3. Tony Temple, Missouri: You can make a case that Temple’s 2006 rushing yardage - 1,063, more than any other returning Big 12 back - was skewed because of his 194-yard outburst against Oregon State in the Sun Bowl represented 18 percent of his season total. That doesn’t change the fact that Temple established himself as one of the league’s elite backs. He committed costly fumbles against Texas A&M and Oklahoma but overcame the other black mark on his résumé: For the first time in his career, Temple didn’t let injuries keep him on the sideline as he lugged the ball 15 or more times in eight games. He isn’t much of a receiving threat - just 22 career receptions - but remains as elusive and explosive as most backs on this list.

2. Jamaal Charles, Texas: Charles might never reproduce his brilliant 2005 season when he averaged almost 8 yards per carry. Last year, with McCoy replacing Vince Young at quarterback, defenses focused their attention on Charles. He logged more carries, but the explosive plays weren’t there, as he averaged 2 fewer yards per carry. Despite an offensive line that included two NFL draft picks, Charles’ only 100-yard game came in September against Rice. That was enough to keep him out of the top spot.

1. Mike Goodson, Texas A&M: How can a player with only one career 100-yard game and four touchdowns top this list? Just look what Goodson did last year in limited duty against A&M’s best competition: 10 carries for 127 yards against Oklahoma … 11 for 80 against Nebraska … 15 for 86 against Texas. Had fumble issues not kept Goodson on the bench early in the year, his breakthrough would have come sooner.

As long as Goodson splits carries with Lane he might never lead the league in rushing. But only four running backs in the country with 100 or more attempts averaged more yards per carry than Goodson’s Big 12-leading 6.7. In conference games, his output was even better: 7.5 yards per carry.

A few days before the Holiday Bowl, San Diego Chargers star running back LaDainian Tomlinson spoke to the Aggies at their hotel and individually met with Goodson.

"I certainly see a guy that could become that type of football player," A&M Coach Dennis Franchione told the Dallas Morning News, comparing Goodson to Tomlinson, whom he coached at TCU. "If he’ll keep his focus and continue to channel it in the right direction and work like L.T. worked, he has no limit on what he can accomplish."

● Others worth mentioning: Chris Brown, Oklahoma; Julius Crosslin, Oklahoma State; Cody Glenn, Nebraska; Kobey Lewis, Texas Tech; Brandon McAnderson, Kansas; Chris Ogbonnaya, Texas; Leon Patton, Kansas State; Jason Scales, Iowa State; Brandon Whitaker, Baylor.

Reach Dave Matter at (573) 815-1781 or [email protected].

colleyvillesooner
6/4/2007, 01:45 PM
wow

PLaw
6/4/2007, 01:49 PM
Well, that should be about enough motivation for Demarco Murray. I'll bet it is already taped into his locker..

What a stupid article.

BOOMER SOONER
PLaw

Big Red Ron
6/4/2007, 01:54 PM
No wonder Mizz sucks at football. They don't know crap up there. Three aTm backs on one list is a joke. Goodsen is good but he's like a third down back. Javorski Lane is THE single most overhyped piece of bluber in the Big XII. If he was such a bad *** why did fran kick a field goal with a fourth and goal from the one instead of letting Lane show us what he's got?

Stupid list.

King Crimson
6/4/2007, 01:55 PM
Well, that should be about enough motivation for Demarco Murray. I'll bet it is already taped into his locker..

What a stupid article.

BOOMER SOONER
PLaw

"This week’s Big 12 Countdown looks at the top running backs in the conference. Career statistics were taken into account, as well as durability and versatility. Newcomers - i.e. freshmen and transfers - were not eligible for this list."

I like this guy's writing. reminds me of the pre-internet Daily Oklahoma CFB writing when i was a kid and the Dan Creedon edited Boulder Camera when i first moved to Colorado....before the Camera sold to Gannett or somebody.

The Maestro
6/4/2007, 02:40 PM
I understand not mentionining Murray yet, but 3 OSU backs mentioned in the first 12 names posted? Yeeeaaa...NO!

King Crimson
6/4/2007, 02:52 PM
there's only 2 OSU backs in the top 12. but, don't let the facts get in yer way.

OSUAggie
6/4/2007, 02:56 PM
The only legite gripe I can justify revolves around his apparent love for fullbacks and/or big backs that are seldom utilized (i.e Chris Alexander @ #12 and mentioning Julius Crosslin and Chris Ogbonnaya).

Big Red Ron
6/4/2007, 03:02 PM
tony temple is such a homer pic

sooner518
6/4/2007, 05:52 PM
Javorski Lane is THE single most overhyped piece of bluber in the Big XII. If he was such a bad *** why did fran kick a field goal with a fourth and goal from the one instead of letting Lane show us what he's got?

I thought that was just because Fran is a moron.

King Crimson
6/4/2007, 05:56 PM
tony temple is such a homer pic

he's the leading returning rusher in the conference, and ranked 3rd by Matter. i don't see the homer factor as much there as many of our fans in this thread.

disagree?

snp
6/4/2007, 06:24 PM
Yes, stats are misleading. He gained almost half (45%) of his yards against Oregon State, Ohio, and New Mexico. Color me not impressed.

Charles at 2 and mentioning Whitaker (second string RB on the worst rushing offense in the country) are the real travesties.

goingoneight
6/4/2007, 07:33 PM
Knock, knock... DeMarco? Hear that?

Bold prediction... AP out-rushes all of those other guys, and is possibly out-rushed by DM.

OSUAggie
6/4/2007, 07:38 PM
Yah, I'll put quite a bit of cash on Patrick not outrushing all of those guys on the list.

goingoneight
6/4/2007, 07:58 PM
4 games, over 100-ypg as the starter. Let's see, how many RB's had 170 against aTm in College Station? If Patrick is healthy and used in the same manner he was in 2006 through 12 games, he should easily be the top rusher in the league. Add to that, his OL is better, and we have more home games.

Now if Brown or Murray step it up and play in the manner they're predicted to, AP may have a tough time getting more than seven carries a game. Are you doubting AP just because he isn't a Reggie Bush kinda player? Are you doubting him because he's not AD? What is it? WHo is hands down better, and prove how. Not arguing, just implying.

Unless you're putting all those guys rushing yards together, which is stupid.

critical_phil
6/4/2007, 08:16 PM
Yah, I'll put quite a bit of cash on Patrick not outrushing all of those guys on the list.

BRUCE!!!111!!!!1!!1!

FlatheadSooner
6/4/2007, 08:46 PM
Javorski Lane is THE single most overhyped piece of bluber in the Big XII. If he was such a bad *** why did fran kick a field goal with a fourth and goal from the one instead of letting Lane show us what he's got?

I don't know, but I was at that game and frankly I was glad they didn't give it to "the boxcar" because he can usually get at least one yard just by falling.

Thanks Fran!

OSUAggie
6/4/2007, 09:00 PM
4 games, over 100-ypg as the starter. Let's see, how many RB's had 170 against aTm in College Station? If Patrick is healthy and used in the same manner he was in 2006 through 12 games, he should easily be the top rusher in the league. Add to that, his OL is better, and we have more home games.

Now if Brown or Murray step it up and play in the manner they're predicted to, AP may have a tough time getting more than seven carries a game. Are you doubting AP just because he isn't a Reggie Bush kinda player? Are you doubting him because he's not AD? What is it? WHo is hands down better, and prove how. Not arguing, just implying.

Unless you're putting all those guys rushing yards together, which is stupid.

I think it'll take at least 1,400 yards to win the Big XII rushing crown.

The only way I think Patrick will even put up 1,200 yards is if a combination of things happen:

a) Murray proves ineffective
b) Patrick gets the ball 25+ times/game
c) QB play is effective

I'm not saying he can't or won't lead the league in rushing; but I am saying I don't think the chances of that happening are very good.

And if Patrick is used in the same manner as he was when Peterson went down, I don't think he'll make it past week 6.

Collier11
6/4/2007, 10:21 PM
I think it'll take at least 1,400 yards to win the Big XII rushing crown.

c) QB play is effective

By this scenario, toston and savage have no shot at winning the rushing title :D

goingoneight
6/5/2007, 02:32 AM
Give 'em credit, they are the "World's Greatest Offense..." they'll make due. :D

I can see what you're saying, kinda OSUAggie.

APs running style is hitting the seems fast and charging ahead once he's through. It doesn't help him for busting long runs, but it tremendously helps him and his team move the chains.

I honestly think if Murray is used properly, he'll be an instant success. Much like AD his freshmen year. But Murray is not AD, so running him in the power-I could get him hurt since he's not the tank AD or AP are.

I have a feeling Wilson won't truly realize what Murray is capable of until he's backed into a corner like he was with AD going down and we saw AP tear some **** up. Patrick's only vice in OU's current offense was he ducked his shoulder to pass-block. That sets you up for broken collarbones, separated shoulders, elbow injuries, you name it. It's a bad habit when you have 300-pounders running full-speed after your QB and you're the only thing between him and his target.

rankin07
6/5/2007, 05:30 PM
well OU's gonna produce 3 backs alone better then most if not all in the big 12..just wait...:D

Big Red Ron
6/5/2007, 11:43 PM
I don't know, but I was at that game and frankly I was glad they didn't give it to "the boxcar" because he can usually get at least one yard just by falling.

Thanks Fran!I was there too. Matter of fact, Jimminy Crimson and I met Dolemite and Yermon there. There was a reason he didn't go for it. We were playing some damn good defense and I doubt they would have made it. It didn't really matter, it was just our night. I've been to the last two games at a&m and they were both nail biters. I just think Stoops owns Fran.