PDA

View Full Version : My wiff may actually allow me to buy a deer rifle for next year...

AggieTool
6/3/2007, 09:33 AM
It seems the bass boat may have to wait a while.

I'm thinking a 30.06 or .270 for small deer and hogs. Maybe a
Ruger or Sako.

King Crimson
6/3/2007, 09:36 AM
you can edit the title line by clicking edit and then go advanced. unless this is about the poker night farting thing....in some weird way.

AggieTool
6/3/2007, 09:44 AM
you can edit the title line by clicking edit and then go advanced. unless this is about the poker night farting thing....in some weird way.

Thanks! Typing faster than my brain can follow as usual.
;)

King Crimson
6/3/2007, 09:47 AM
that's not bad tool.

MamaMia
6/3/2007, 01:19 PM
Mel...kiss my grits! :D

Jerk
6/3/2007, 01:52 PM
I'd go for a Savage bolt-action with the Accu-Trigger®

.270 is great. Flat shooting round.

Take a look at .260 Remington. The ballistics are out of this world. It's not high-velocity, but the bullets have extremely good ballistic co-efficients and do not lose their energy. It's easily a 1000 yard rifle and will kill anything that walks or crawls in Oklahoma.

Okla-homey
6/3/2007, 02:26 PM
Winchester Model 94. 30-30 greatness in a timeless package.

Others will probably disagree, but I dig the classics. Further, it is an undisputed fact that more deer have been harvested with Model 94's than any other North American firearm.

You can pick one up at WallyWorld for under 400.00 I think.

Mongo
6/3/2007, 02:31 PM
300 WIN MAG

Drops deer with no problem, more kinetic energy to drop the hogs even easier. Plus knock down power that can reach out and touch something.

yermom
6/3/2007, 02:43 PM

Others will probably disagree, but I dig the classics. Further, it is an undisputed fact that more deer have been harvested with Model 94's than any other North American firearm.

didn't they go out of business? like i think they only sell ammo now

Wal-Mart does carry the Marlin 336 for a little over $300 though...

LoyalFan
6/3/2007, 06:18 PM
I'd go for a Savage bolt-action with the Accu-Trigger®

.270 is great. Flat shooting round.

Take a look at .260 Remington. The ballistics are out of this world. It's not high-velocity, but the bullets have extremely good ballistic co-efficients and do not lose their energy. It's easily a 1000 yard rifle and will kill anything that walks or crawls in Oklahoma.

RIGHT ON! Jerk. But please, let's not encourage anyone to try extreme range shots. Too many wounded and suffering critters.
To me, the ultimate goal is to get close enough (up to 300 yds) to ASSURE a one-shot and quick kill. Dat's why I go for the neck in most cases.
Clean kill=Best
Clean miss=Second best
Wounded animal=Horrible

Aggie Tool, the Savage is considered to be the most accurate "Out of the box" bolt- action rifle among reasonably affordable makes/models. The .270 Win. cartridge, especially since the advent of 140 grain ER loads and the FINE Federal Premium stuff in 130 gr., would be my first choice.
Optics are often not thoroughly considered, being considered secondary to the rifle, budgetarily speaking...WRONG! Good glass is essential. Save for GOOD glass and select a variable that realistically meets the requirements of your most likely hunting environment. I'd recommend a "Duplex" reticle over simple crosshairs, dot reticle, etc, especially for use in "confused" backgrounds and poor light.
I shoot an (all Belgian-made, pre-Japanese version) Browning BAR in .270 Win(chester) topped with a Leupold 2.5X8. Greatness! Consistent one-inch three round groups at 100yds, so long as she's fed Fed. Prem 130's. Best group; 5/8" (fired by a young lady who had nevAr fired a high-powered rifle before...go figure.) My best: Several in the 7/8" category.
Longest measured (by good rangefinder) kill; 428 yds, neck shot, large wild piggy.
Only argument v. the .260 Rem. is that the jury is still out as to the overall success and longevity (manufacture of weapons and ammo for that cartridge) and thus the ready availability of good ammo later on. How many boxes of .264 Win. Mag. have you seen lately?

Toolie, Jerk has given you sound counsel and I've only embellished by way of reinforcement. Good luck and TAKE YOUR TIME!
If you THINK you've found the bang-bang of your dreams/budget, please consult with us BEFORE you hand over bux...unless it's the Savage as Jerk described with the glass as I've hinted at. If it's that combo, buy it!

LF

rufnek05
6/3/2007, 06:42 PM

great gun.

Jerk
6/3/2007, 07:22 PM
Loyal, I'm thinking of a good all-around "do-it-all" rifle. You're advise is spot-on, especially on the scopes.

As for Rem. .260
Load light-weight 90 gr bullets and shoot prairie dogs at 600 yards no problem. Load 120 gr and kill a deer at 200 yards. Load 140 Grains and kill a hawg. Shoot a tennis ball at 600 yards should be very possible. A good bullet like a 123 gr. Lapau Scenar will go still be going supersonic past 1200 yards. And the recoil wouldn't be bad at all.

You'll never have trouble getting Remington .260 Ammo. Even if they quit making it (which won't happen), all you'd have to do is buy a bag of .308 Win. brass and run it through a .260 Rem sizing die, put the primers in, put the powder in, seat the bullet, and viola! Actually, it would be better to use .243 Win. and neck it up. Very simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.260_Remington

Because 6.5 mm (.264") bullets are known for their relatively high ballistic coefficients, the .260 Remington has seen success in rifle competition. It is capable of duplicating the trajectory of the .300 Winchester Magnum while generating significantly lower recoil.

Mongo's choice of caliber is a great one.. it is one of the flattest shooting .30 cal rifles out there. Go with it, if you don't mind paying for the ammo and taking a beating from the recoil. Mongo is a big dude, so it doesn't bother him. I can shoot a .300 Weatherby Mag about 10-15 times, then I've had all I want of that.

eta- oh, guys! Today was the first time Jerk has ever shot a 1/2 moa group at 100 yards- 5 shots! I'm very happy with myself, I must say! I've done it with 3 shot groups many times, but 5 is much more challenging. Did it with an AR chambered in a new caliber called 6.5 Grendel.

Jimminy Crimson
6/3/2007, 07:36 PM
I'm puzzled by the thread title... "my wife may actually allow me"... :confused:

A real man would say: :dean:Honey, I'm buying a deer rifle./:dean:

Jerk
6/3/2007, 07:43 PM
Oh, and about the 30-30

Great for deer under 200 yards. Low recoil. Cheap ammo.

But dude, if you're going Hog hunting, you had better take something bigger.

If you shoot a 600 pound wild boar with a 30-30, I hope you're wearing your best tennis shoes. I'd like to be there, on an ATV, watching.

Okla-homey
6/3/2007, 09:06 PM
Oh, and about the 30-30

Great for deer under 200 yards. Low recoil. Cheap ammo.

But dude, if you're going Hog hunting, you had better take something bigger.

If you shoot a 600 pound wild boar with a 30-30, I hope you're wearing your best tennis shoes. I'd like to be there, on an ATV, watching.

That's what the 1911 in your shoulder holster is for. Sheesh.

AggieTool
6/3/2007, 09:12 PM
RIGHT ON! Jerk. But please, let's not encourage anyone to try extreme range shots. Too many wounded and suffering critters.
To me, the ultimate goal is to get close enough (up to 300 yds) to ASSURE a one-shot and quick kill. Dat's why I go for the neck in most cases.
Clean kill=Best
Clean miss=Second best
Wounded animal=Horrible

Aggie Tool, the Savage is considered to be the most accurate "Out of the box" bolt- action rifle among reasonably affordable makes/models. The .270 Win. cartridge, especially since the advent of 140 grain ER loads and the FINE Federal Premium stuff in 130 gr., would be my first choice.
Optics are often not thoroughly considered, being considered secondary to the rifle, budgetarily speaking...WRONG! Good glass is essential. Save for GOOD glass and select a variable that realistically meets the requirements of your most likely hunting environment. I'd recommend a "Duplex" reticle over simple crosshairs, dot reticle, etc, especially for use in "confused" backgrounds and poor light.
I shoot an (all Belgian-made, pre-Japanese version) Browning BAR in .270 Win(chester) topped with a Leupold 2.5X8. Greatness! Consistent one-inch three round groups at 100yds, so long as she's fed Fed. Prem 130's. Best group; 5/8" (fired by a young lady who had nevAr fired a high-powered rifle before...go figure.) My best: Several in the 7/8" category.
Longest measured (by good rangefinder) kill; 428 yds, neck shot, large wild piggy.
Only argument v. the .260 Rem. is that the jury is still out as to the overall success and longevity (manufacture of weapons and ammo for that cartridge) and thus the ready availability of good ammo later on. How many boxes of .264 Win. Mag. have you seen lately?

Toolie, Jerk has given you sound counsel and I've only embellished by way of reinforcement. Good luck and TAKE YOUR TIME!
If you THINK you've found the bang-bang of your dreams/budget, please consult with us BEFORE you hand over bux...unless it's the Savage as Jerk described with the glass as I've hinted at. If it's that combo, buy it!

LF

Thanks fer the good advice, and I will take it into consideration along with all the other advice I receive from my many sources on the subject.:)

Okla-homey
6/3/2007, 09:15 PM
One last thing. Consider a gun show for your purchase, and don't discount buying a used rifle. There are tons out there which have only had a few rounds fired and you can save some money. They are typically good places to buy ammo too.

AggieTool
6/3/2007, 09:17 PM
Loyal, I'm thinking of a good all-around "do-it-all" rifle. You're advise is spot-on, especially on the scopes.

As for Rem. .260
Load light-weight 90 gr bullets and shoot prairie dogs at 600 yards no problem. Load 120 gr and kill a deer at 200 yards. Load 140 Grains and kill a hawg. Shoot a tennis ball at 600 yards should be very possible. A good bullet like a 123 gr. Lapau Scenar will go still be going supersonic past 1200 yards. And the recoil wouldn't be bad at all.

You'll never have trouble getting Remington .260 Ammo. Even if they quit making it (which won't happen), all you'd have to do is buy a bag of .308 Win. brass and run it through a .260 Rem sizing die, put the primers in, put the powder in, seat the bullet, and viola! Actually, it would be better to use .243 Win. and neck it up. Very simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.260_Remington

Because 6.5 mm (.264") bullets are known for their relatively high ballistic coefficients, the .260 Remington has seen success in rifle competition. It is capable of duplicating the trajectory of the .300 Winchester Magnum while generating significantly lower recoil.

Mongo's choice of caliber is a great one.. it is one of the flattest shooting .30 cal rifles out there. Go with it, if you don't mind paying for the ammo and taking a beating from the recoil. Mongo is a big dude, so it doesn't bother him. I can shoot a .300 Weatherby Mag about 10-15 times, then I've had all I want of that.

eta- oh, guys! Today was the first time Jerk has ever shot a 1/2 moa group at 100 yards- 5 shots! I'm very happy with myself, I must say! I've done it with 3 shot groups many times, but 5 is much more challenging. Did it with an AR chambered in a new caliber called 6.5 Grendel.

Why would you want to alter a military rifle to shoot something other than what it was designed for?:confused:

Isn't the point to "tweak" the original rifle/cartridge to perform its best...ergo leaving the skill of the shooter in question?

AggieTool
6/3/2007, 09:18 PM
One last thing. Consider a gun show for your purchase, and don't discount buying a used rifle. There are tons out there which have only had a few rounds fired and you can save some money. They are typically good places to buy ammo too.

Good call!;)

AggieTool
6/3/2007, 09:19 PM
I'm puzzled by the thread title... "my wife may actually allow me"... :confused:

A real man would say: :dean:Honey, I'm buying a deer rifle./:dean:

Money in the bank my friend....money in the bank.;)

sanantoniosooner
6/3/2007, 09:20 PM
If you wiff much you need to kill from long range or the deer will smell you.

Jerk
6/3/2007, 09:30 PM
Why would you want to alter a military rifle to shoot something other than what it was designed for?:confused:

Isn't the point to "tweak" the original rifle/cartridge to perform its best...ergo leaving the skill of the shooter in question?
I have an AR chambered in the military round of 5.56 NATO, and it is also very accurate. 5.56 is what the military is using in their AR-15's, but when Eugene Stoner designed the first one, it was in 7.62 NATO (.308 Win) That was a much larger black rifle.

I have the Grendel for a different purpose: 600 yard shooting with much less wind-drift and fall than the 5.56. It is not tweaked, no, it was built from scratch as a 6.5 Grendel. It has ballistics that compare to the .308 Win, yet it is in the small, lightweight, modular package of an AR-15 chasis and weighs 9 pounds with the 6X18 scope. Yes, 9 pounds, and compact, and it's a legit 1000 yard rifle and the bullet will strike at that distance with the same energy as if someone put a handgun muzzle on your chest and pulled the trigger, point blank.

Would you like further discussion or are you satisfied that there can actually be a reason for shooting different calibers?

ETA - another reason for using this caliber with this rifle is that, in 15 seconds, I can take the scope off, put the holographic sight on, and I have a close quarters weapon with a 25 round magazine that can be emptied as fast as I can pull the trigger. So, say I'm going on a hog hunt in s.e. OK. Take scope off, take 10 round mag out, replace with Eotech and 25 round mag, and now I'm ready.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/grendel.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5_Grendel

sanantoniosooner
6/3/2007, 09:33 PM
It's a similar discussion to why I have socks with differing thickness.

AggieTool
6/3/2007, 09:51 PM
I have an AR chambered in the military round of 5.56 NATO, and it is also very accurate. 5.56 is what the military is using in their AR-15's, but when Eugene Stoner designed the first one, it was in 7.62 NATO (.308 Win) That was a much larger black rifle.

I have the Grendel for a different purpose: 600 yard shooting with much less wind-drift and fall than the 5.56. It is not tweaked, no, it was built from scratch as a 6.5 Grendel. It has ballistics that compare to the .308 Win, yet it is in the small, lightweight, modular package of an AR-15 chasis and weighs 9 pounds with the 6X18 scope. Yes, 9 pounds, and compact, and it's a legit 1000 yard rifle and the bullet will strike at that distance with the same energy as if someone put a handgun muzzle on your chest and pulled the trigger, point blank.

Would you like further discussion or are you satisfied that there can actually be a reason for shooting different calibers?

http://www.alexanderarms.com/grendel.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5_Grendel

I'm VERY familiar with the evolution of the "black" rifle and its variants. I'm also keen on anything made in the Springfield Armory factory (not Springfield Armory Inc.).

Having said that, I LOVE to tinker and experiment with all sorts of stuff, but if I were to claim any distinction in shooting a military weapon, I would also want to claim I shot it in its original configuration. But that's just me.:)

Kinda like NASCAR back in the '60s.:D

Anyhoo, I think its cool that today's C-N-C technology allows us to play with different variations on modular rifles such as the AR. Another toy on my wish list is an AR-10, but I'm afraid an assault weapons ban under a the new Cliton administration will take care of that.:mad:

One of these days, I'll get around to that .50 BMG necked down to a .17 bee and shot through a modded Bushmaster.:eek:

Jerk
6/3/2007, 09:57 PM
I added something else to my last post that I felt was kind of important.

Anyway, I see you are a purist. I'm that way with my FAL rifles. I like them as original as possible, just as they were used by our allies during the Cold War. The reason I have the AR-15 is to shoot sub-moa semi-automatic fire, and if I have to deviate from the standard military configuration to get there (for instance, installing a free float handguard instead of the military issue plastic ones) then I will do it.

AggieTool
6/3/2007, 10:03 PM
I added something else to my last post that I felt was kind of important.

Anyway, I see you are a purist. I'm that way with my FAL rifles. I like them as original as possible, just as they were used by our allies during the Cold War. The reason I have the AR-15 is to shoot sub-moa semi-automatic fire, and if I have to deviate from the standard military configuration to get there (for instance, installing a free float handguard instead of the military issue plastic ones) then I will do it.

FALs are cool, especially the one's with furniture. That's the only thing I don't like about modern weapons...no wood.:mad:

Jerk
6/3/2007, 10:10 PM
FALs are cool, especially the one's with furniture. That's the only thing I don't like about modern weapons...no wood.:mad:

I got one with wood furniture.

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/5645/pic81pl.jpg

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/9425/pic16kv.jpg

Hamhock
6/4/2007, 07:36 AM
If you really want to experience deer/hog hunting, I'd go with a Hoyt.

Mongo
6/4/2007, 07:38 AM
I'd use whatever Hamhock used to kill his bobcat:D

C&CDean
6/4/2007, 01:59 PM
I pretty much only buy one type of rifle anymore. Ruger M77. You can get it in any caliber you want. I own all kinds of Winchesters, Remingtons, and a couple Savages. For me, the Ruger is simply a stouter, more comfortable feeling rifle. And like LF said, do NOT discount your optics. A ****ty rifle with a good scope is a good weapon. I've got Leupold, Burris, and Nikon scopes (and a bunch of crappy Bushnell stuff too). I personally like the Leupold and Burris scopes the best.

I ain't crazy about the Model 94 Winchester. Pain in the *** to tear down. If you want a good 30-30 lever action go with the Marlin. And only a fag would scope up a 30-30. I feel the same way about powder rifles. If you're hunting black powder with a scope, you need to do a testicle check.

Jerk is more of a rifle geek. Like beer geeks are. Fiddle around with it until you either **** it all up, or make something groovy. I wouldn't let him anywhere near my gun safe. I'd end up blowing myself up after he got done tinkering...

Jerk
6/4/2007, 05:47 PM
you're right, Dean. The only rifle I haven't changed from original factory configuration is the Colt Suaer & Sons .300 Weatherby Mag...

because if my dad found out he'd kill me.

C&CDean
6/4/2007, 06:10 PM
you're right, Dean. The only rifle I haven't changed from original factory configuration is the Colt Suaer & Sons .300 Weatherby Mag...

because if my dad found out he'd kill me.

As well he should. Some things just hadn't oughta be messed with...