PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut shatters Kobayashi's hot-dog eating record

RacerX
6/2/2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah baby!

PHOENIX (AP) -- A California man smashed the world record for hot dog eating at a contest Saturday, gobbling up more than 59 franks in 12 minutes.

Joey Chestnut, 22, of San Jose, shattered the record held by Takeru Kobayashi of Japan by downing 59 1/2 "HBDs" -- hot dogs and buns -- during the Southwest Regional Hot Dog Eating Championship at the Arizona Mills Mall in suburban Tempe.

Kobayashi's old record of 53 3/4 was set last year at Nathan's Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest, held at Coney Island in New York, said George Costos, who helps runs the regional contests for Nathan's.
Chestnut, who also answers to the nickname "Jaws," placed second in last year's world championships, consuming 52 hot dogs.

"He's unbelievable -- he just keeps on going," said Ryan Nerz, who works for Major League Eating, which he describes as "a world governing board for all stomach-centric sports."

"These guys' numbers have just been going up at a tremendous clip," Nerz said. "I always thought there was a limit -- a limit to the human stomach and a limit to human willpower -- but I guess not."

Chestnut won a free trip to New York, a year's supply of hot dogs and a $250 gift card to the mall.

He flew to New York on Saturday night for a previously scheduled trip to throw out the first pitch Sunday at a game between the New York Mets and the Arizona Diamondbacks, Costos said.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/more/06/02/hot.dog.record.ap/p1.joey.chestnut.jpg

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 10:28 PM
I still don't get the fascination with this.

yermom
6/2/2007, 10:29 PM
nope.

i'd take a Hebrew National over a Nathan's any day anyway

silverwheels
6/2/2007, 10:30 PM
America, **** YEAH!

sooneron
6/2/2007, 10:32 PM
I really hope that people in Darfur or the Sudan don't have to hear about this crap. Hell, people here in the US that don't get a good meal over the course of a day for that matter.

John Kochtoston
6/3/2007, 12:48 AM
[Al Michaels] DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?!?! YES!!!! [/Al Michaels]

King Crimson
6/3/2007, 12:50 AM
queue eye of the tiger.

the_ouskull
6/3/2007, 01:59 AM
Congratulations to the newest breed of dumb. Eat all you want. We'll make more. Let's glorify competitive eating in our country, when some people don't get to eat at all in theirs. Wow.

the_ouskull

Jimminy Crimson
6/3/2007, 03:00 AM
Way to go, America!

Sick of getting pwn3d by that skinny asian dude. ;)

Blue
6/3/2007, 03:08 AM
59 hot dogs in 12 minutes is awesome. I don't care who you are or if you don't eat.

Frozen Sooner
6/3/2007, 03:11 AM
Congratulations to the newest breed of dumb. Eat all you want. We'll make more. Let's glorify competitive eating in our country, when some people don't get to eat at all in theirs. Wow.

the_ouskull

I heard that Phi Kappa Sigma initiation involved fitting 59 hot-dog shaped items in your mouth at once.

;)

Blue
6/3/2007, 05:13 AM
wtf do you people do everyday to make sure the homeless get some food?

I bet 0.

Harry Beanbag
6/3/2007, 07:11 AM
I think we should send all hot dogs allocated for eating contests to the Sudan, Utopia would exist at that point.

By the way, I doubt seriously that I've eaten 59 hot dogs in my life. Lips and *******s really aren't that good. (except for Hebrew National of course)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/3/2007, 10:32 AM
That has to all leave his body somehow. Gross.

MamaMia
6/3/2007, 11:07 AM
I wonder what hot dog Fletcher's uses to make their State Fair corny dogs?

John Kochtoston
6/4/2007, 09:31 AM
I heard that Phi Kappa Sigma initiation involved fitting 59 hot-dog shaped items in your mouth at once.

;)

Well, after we borrowed Sigma Nu's colors, we figured we'd just borrow their ritual, too.

;)

Beef
6/4/2007, 09:34 AM

I bet 0.
I occasionally give them money for beer. If they have some dough left over for food, more power to them.

Petro-Sooner
6/4/2007, 10:07 AM
Tell me more about these hebrew nation dogs. What make them better then Nathans or oscar meyer? Might have to give them a try.

sooner_born_1960
6/4/2007, 10:09 AM
Tell me more about these hebrew nation dogs. What make them better then Nathans or oscar meyer? Might have to give them a try.
Beef lips with no artificial fillers.

Boarder
6/4/2007, 10:21 AM
U S A!
U S A!
U S A!

Beef
6/4/2007, 10:30 AM
Beef lips with no artificial fillers.
:eek:

OUDoc
6/4/2007, 11:30 AM
We all know Beef likes his artificial fillers. :eek:

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 11:35 AM
I love how it's always these skinny dudes who act like eating 59 hotdogs at a sitting is a big deal. I just call that lunch.

yermom
6/4/2007, 12:02 PM

i have no idea, but the ones i had in the bus station in Chicago were awesome and that was what they used

i'm not really a hot dog guy, but i tried Nathan's in Vegas just 'cause and i was not impressed at all, the stuff in the Fock is better (Bar S?)

dolemitesooner
6/4/2007, 12:03 PM
i have no idea, but the ones i had in the bus station in Chicago were awesome and that was what they used

i'm not really a hot dog guy, but i tried Nathan's in Vegas just 'cause and i was not impressed at all, the stuff in the Fock is better (Bar S?)
hAAA!!! YOU ACT LIKE YOU SOME GREAT ****** ******* OF HAWT DOGS

yermom
6/4/2007, 12:05 PM
um, actually i think i said i wasn't

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 12:20 PM
Hebrew Nationals are good 'cause they're kosher, which means that they have to be all one kind of meat and from identifiable parts. In fact, I think their ads say that they only come from the front quarter of the cow.

Petro-Sooner
6/4/2007, 12:22 PM
Hebrew Nationals are good 'cause they're kosher, which means that they have to be all one kind of meat and from identifiable parts. In fact, I think their ads say that they only come from the front quarter of the cow.

Yes, but will I miss the taste of lips that the competitors offer?

Frozen Sooner
6/4/2007, 12:22 PM
Lips are in the front quarter of the cow.

Mjcpr
6/4/2007, 12:26 PM
Lips are in the front quarter of the cow.

Not necessarily.

Petro-Sooner
6/4/2007, 12:31 PM
HEH

sooner_born_1960
6/4/2007, 12:39 PM
Eyes, tongue, brains, and lips are all from the front quarter, and can be identified. That doesn't make them too appetizing.

Petro-Sooner
6/4/2007, 12:41 PM
Eyes, tongue, brains, and lips are all from the front quarter, and can be identified. That doesn't make them too appetizing.

Pfffft. I'm just glad there is no back hoof. Back hoof is the worse.

:D

C&CDean
6/4/2007, 02:19 PM
I saw that Hebrew National ad on the airplane this morning. "No butts." Heh.

Hebrew National dogs are better than Nathan's. Of course a Nathan's off a street vendor in NYC tastes a lot different than a Nathan's in Vegas or from the grocery store. It's gotta be the water they boil/steam them in.

OSUAggie
6/4/2007, 02:25 PM
Of course a Nathan's off a street vendor in NYC tastes a lot different than a Nathan's in Vegas or from the grocery store. It's gotta be the water they boil/steam them in.

When ordered with a beer it equates to the greatest $13.50 value meal in the Western Hemisphere.

Oldnslo
6/4/2007, 03:58 PM
Gluttony isn't a sport; it's a sin.

And I'm good with either Nathan's or Hebrew National. Both are kosher.

sooneron
6/4/2007, 04:39 PM

I bet 0.
I have given plenty of homeless people assistance - volunteering at kitchens and giving them a slice or a sandwich when I see them asking for change. Why do I have to do something everyday? The difference is, these ****sticks are avidly taking part in gluttony.

Harry Beanbag
6/4/2007, 04:39 PM

They're...um...extra long. :texan:

sooneron
6/4/2007, 04:41 PM
and HN pwn Nathan's!

sooneron
6/4/2007, 09:40 PM
...and Keyser Soze will be very dislpleased at Kobayashi's failure to retain the record...

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2619/keyserde5.jpg