PDA

View Full Version : well that was interesting

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2007, 08:27 PM
i just added a stick of memory to my desktop - a first time venture for me inside the bowels of my PC - once i figured out how to get the side panel off, it was a snap

that is, after i got all the friggin dust bunnies out of there - holeeeeeeeee crap

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2007, 08:34 PM
ok here's a stupid question - so i put the stick in, rebooted.......then i go to "my computer" and click on system info and its still showing 512mb - but i just added a gig

when i rebooted, it didnt go thru any special gyrations noticing the change - can you put a stick in backwards? or upside down?

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 08:36 PM
can you put a stick in backwards? or upside down?

depends on the PC, but usually no, and definitely not. It may not be seated properly. It should lock in.

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 08:37 PM
waiting for yermom to give you the real scoop. :O

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2007, 08:39 PM
it seated properly and is locked in

i will say its running noticeably faster

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 08:40 PM
well I don't think you have to do anything special for the PC to recognize the memory. still waiting for yermom.

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:53 PM
sometimes you have to do more forcing than seems comfortable, it might just look like it's seated

i'd take it out and reseat it

if your operating system doesn't see it, i don't think it's there. usually the BIOS will say something about the "system memory" changing, but that depends on the BIOS

it could also just not like the stick for some reason, like it doesn't exactly match the other one, or it's not the right speed or something

you might try the 1GB stick by itself and see if it works

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2007, 09:48 PM
ok fixed, now its working - it wasnt seated as properly as i originally thought

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 09:58 PM
It may not be seated properly.

;)

OUinFLA
6/2/2007, 10:31 PM
I know when Im not seated properly, I can tell rather quickly.
I just reseat until Im comortable.