PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Question

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2007, 07:20 PM
I haven't been able to find a solution to this problem on the web, so it looks like I'm going to have to take my laptop into the shop but thought I'd get a South Ovarian opinion on the problem first.

The problem seems to be that the internal power supply, for whatever reason, no longer works. I can't charge my battery and I can't run the comp off the wall outlet. The power adapter itself works fine since I plugged it into my dad's comp and it worked and conservsely I plugged his adapter into my computer which did not work. The computer itself works fine, I just have no way of powering it.

Now, as I understand it isn't the internal power suppy of a laptop physically part of the motherboard meaning it can't be replaced without replacing the whole damned motherboard?

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2007, 07:21 PM
I guess I should add that my laptop is an HP dv1000 special edition if that makes a difference.

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 07:23 PM
hit it with jumper cables.

Scott D
6/2/2007, 07:37 PM
the problem is that it's a HP. ywia

yermom
6/2/2007, 07:39 PM
i've heard about that part where the AC adapter goes in breaking and basically requiring a new motherboard

but i've also heard of people soldering them back together in a DIY kinda fix

i'm not sure on the models involved though

you should get a soldering iron

this will be awesome

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2007, 07:41 PM
i've heard about that part where the AC adapter goes in breaking and basically requiring a new motherboard

but i've also heard of people soldering them back together in a DIY kinda fix

i'm not sure on the models involved though

you should get a soldering iron

this will be awesome

That's about what I thought. Craptastic. Well, thanks!

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 07:41 PM
oh no.

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 07:49 PM
I have a question.....refurb or cheapo new Dell? i've got about 800 to spend. it would be a secondary machine to use for teaching, travel, and such.

yermom
6/2/2007, 07:54 PM
i'd look for a refurbed MacBook...

yermom
6/2/2007, 07:56 PM
i hadn't really looked before, but here is one for $850...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA699LL/A

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 07:57 PM
i'd look for a refurbed MacBook...

i knew that was coming.....but at this point, i'm sort of in a technology=disposable mode. and i have good credit with dell. but, i'll look at macs. in a couple years i'll have more money to play around with. i fooled around looking at refurb macs a while ago, i bookmarked a few places.

Scott D
6/2/2007, 07:58 PM
yermom can't go to the bathroom without the permission of his mac anymore.

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:00 PM
i'm not like an Apple fanboy really, but i have used Dell and Apple for years and the Apple just works better for longer

they are loads more durable, and the new ones are blazing fast and will run Vista or XP too if you want

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:01 PM
yermom can't go to the bathroom without the permission of his mac anymore.

it just goes with me sometimes :O

i'm not that sold on the Apple desktop, but the laptops are hella cool

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 08:03 PM
also, my computer before this one was a powerbook that was kind of a lemon. by any measure of comparison this pedestrian dell desktop has been a much better machine and a vastly better value--and virutally problem free for almost 4 years (knock on wood). and, yes, it was before OS 10.

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 08:04 PM
the new ones are blazing fast and will run Vista or XP too if you want

no $hit? I didn't know this.

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:07 PM
they all have duo core Intels that will run Windows with Bootcamp, it's real windows, it's not virtual or anything

although, most Mac people i know use Parallels to run Windows virtually for the crap that needs it so they don't have to reboot

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:09 PM
also, my computer before this one was a powerbook that was kind of a lemon. by any measure of comparison this pedestrian dell desktop has been a much better machine and a vastly better value--and virutally problem free for almost 4 years (knock on wood). and, yes, it was before OS 10.

my experience is mainly the G4 Titanium and later Powerbooks. i'm on my second in ~6 years and the first one was kinda old when i got it. it finally died after a hard life... i've got one of the last G4's now, and it's still really solid, other than not running Windows it does everything i need it to

before OS X there was no reason to use a Mac IMO

i had to know them for work, or i probably wouldn't have bothered

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 08:13 PM
yeah, i know. all i'm looking for right now is a machine that will give me 2 good years. i have one of the blue imac's in my office and it's cool. my needs are pretty rudimentary at the end of the day.

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:14 PM
well you said $800... i gave you $850 :)

BajaOklahoma
6/2/2007, 08:15 PM
I just bought 2 Dell laptops today, using my son's discount from work.
And there were additional discounts available for using the Dell financing.

HP makes wonderful printers and scanners.

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 08:15 PM
well you said $800... i gave you $850 :)

i appreciate it. I do. in my mind, i've have good luck with Dell (knowing what they are, ugly tanks that are not as well made) and i can string out the financing for a couple months which allows me to get a new machine for work *and* go to mexico for a couple weeks. so, when i get paid like a pimp at the end of the summer, i'm still win-win.

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:18 PM
i really want to try out one of those OLPC laptops...

www.laptop.org

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 08:47 PM
yermom - you're being paged in the "well that was interesting" thread.

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:54 PM
yeah, i saw it :D

sooneron
6/2/2007, 09:00 PM
I lub my macbook pro! I lubbed my G4 powerbook, til it was stolen. :(

The only issue I've had was with a G3 Ibook- friggin lemon!

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 09:08 PM
The only issue I've had was with a G3 Ibook- friggin lemon!

that's the one i bought, and it was called "powerbook" and cost almost 2000$.

BillyBall
6/2/2007, 09:18 PM
Well at least you have something to do now SicEm...

sooneron
6/2/2007, 09:20 PM
that's the one i bought, and it was called "powerbook" and cost almost 2000$.
Yeah, my ibook was part of a bad serial # run that caused the motherboard (logicboard for mac, fags) to tweak and quit. I went through four hard drives- they should have replaced the thing on the first sign of trouble for what they paid in shipping.

yermom
6/2/2007, 09:22 PM
i never liked the iBook... especially the G3 ones, bleh

sooneron
6/2/2007, 09:23 PM
It was a gift.

Scott D
6/2/2007, 10:42 PM
i never liked the iBook... especially the G3 ones, bleh

you are to mac laptops what doleo is to x-men comics ;)

proud gonzo
6/2/2007, 10:51 PM
napalm.

YWIA.

yermom
6/2/2007, 10:54 PM
you are to mac laptops what doleo is to x-men comics ;)

i'm not sure how to take that :O

Scott D
6/2/2007, 11:13 PM
i'm not sure how to take that :O

this is where you show outrage about the pc/mac commercials because the guy playing a mac is clearly nothing how a mac is or should be ;)

nmsoonergirl
6/2/2007, 11:24 PM
KC, There are some dell coupon codes floating around for $500 off a 1300 laptop, so you can get a pretty nice laptop for around $800 now--we bought one today, and didn't really find any refurbs that we felt were as good of a deal as the new Dell.
I actually didn't hate my mac for about 10 minutes tonight when I realized my external hard drive is mac and XP compatible, but I'm back to hating it again....I'd clearly vote for the dell.

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 11:32 PM
KC, There are some dell coupon codes floating around for $500 off a 1300 laptop, so you can get a pretty nice laptop for around $800 now--we bought one today, and didn't really find any refurbs that we felt were as good of a deal as the new Dell.
I actually didn't hate my mac for about 10 minutes tonight when I realized my external hard drive is mac and XP compatible, but I'm back to hating it again....I'd clearly vote for the dell.

thanks for the input. i got a Dell catalog in the mail with that sort of stuff innit. for now, and some short term goals, seems like a good move.

sooneron
6/2/2007, 11:35 PM
http://www.thirdwayblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/dellguy1.jpg

soonerboomer93
6/2/2007, 11:55 PM
you can buy refurbed dells through them also (and don't have to wait the build time)

i bought my e1705 as a refurb and saved a few hundred