PDA

View Full Version : Malzahn's use of McFadden question and a lil about TU

goingoneight
6/1/2007, 11:52 PM
Without Malzahn there next year, will McFadden increase his numbers? I can imagine he's gifted enough to succeed from watching him, but I think a lot of his numbers in 2006 were a result of brilliant play-calling. Granted, the playground schemes won't work anymore once you've used them in college.

I know Arkansas is a mess in many people's eyes right now, but as I watch this guy, I see a offensive coordinator who went to the far edges of his playbook to get the most out of a talented guy. I wonder how he'll do form now on if their new OC just kinda does what everyone else does... the 'run, run, pass, pray.'

Seems to me that if Arkansas had a good quarterback last year, they could have been scary-good. 10-3 still isn't too bad, though when you look at their previous year's effort at what, 4-7?

On a side note: I don't know what to think about Paul Smith running Malzahn's offense at TU when we go "on the road" to Tulsa this year. He's got reasonably talented guys on his team, and he looked pretty damn good in early 2005 against us. It's way too far of a stretch to go and say Tulsa will be an elite team... but it's not a stretch to say that a complex offense versus a rebuiling OU frontline is worth mentioning. I guess I just hope we'll destroy everyone in OOC like the good 'ol days.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/2/2007, 12:29 AM
With the predictable play-calling style of Houston Dale Nutt, I figure that McFadden (and Felix Jones for that matter) is going to be worked to death and defenses will key in on both of them and make the Hogs throw the ball, and quarterback is going to be a very dicey position for Arkansas, even if Mustain had returned.

If McFadden gets injured, the Hogs' season may implode before our very eyes.