PDA

View Full Version : Russia is going downhill in a hurry

Widescreen
6/1/2007, 09:54 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PG5VL00&show_article=1

Putin's thugs confiscated a writer's work-in-progress book about Putin. This is exactly the same type of stuff Solzhenitsyn had to deal with in the Soviet Union.

Dio
6/2/2007, 09:52 AM
Was Russia ever uphill?

Scott D
6/2/2007, 09:56 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PG5VL00&show_article=1

Putin's thugs confiscated a writer's work-in-progress book about Putin. This is exactly the same type of stuff Solzhenitsyn had to deal with in the Soviet Union.

eh, unless the writer was in the Army at the time and just disappeared then it's similar to Solzhenitsyn. If he just had his work confiscated that's closer to post Gulag Solzhenitsyn.

I won't be worried until they mass up men to be in the army, and then when they start imprisoning them in the Gulags just as their terms of service are ending.

def_lazer_fc
6/2/2007, 10:41 AM
but bush said putin had a 'good heart'. god told him so.

Widescreen
6/2/2007, 12:10 PM
eh, unless the writer was in the Army at the time and just disappeared then it's similar to Solzhenitsyn. If he just had his work confiscated that's closer to post Gulag Solzhenitsyn.

I won't be worried until they mass up men to be in the army, and then when they start imprisoning them in the Gulags just as their terms of service are ending.
Would you agree that it's heading in that direction under Putin than it was, say, 5 years ago? His cold-war rhetoric, the state confiscation of the media and oil industries - doesn't fill me with encouragement about their future. Solzhenitsyn had to do all kinds of crazy stuff to hide his writings from the authorities - I'm guessing other writers who aren't writing pro-russian propaganda are going to feel they need to resort to similar tactics before long.

Widescreen
6/2/2007, 12:13 PM
but bush said putin had a 'good heart'. god told him so.
Yeah, well... Islam is also a peaceful religion and the Minutemen are vigilantes. He says lots of stuff that isn't necessarily the case.

Scott D
6/2/2007, 12:30 PM
Would you agree that it's heading in that direction under Putin than it was, say, 5 years ago? His cold-war rhetoric, the state confiscation of the media and oil industries - doesn't fill me with encouragement about their future. Solzhenitsyn had to do all kinds of crazy stuff to hide his writings from the authorities - I'm guessing other writers who aren't writing pro-russian propaganda are going to feel they need to resort to similar tactics before long.

Oh, I think it's been clear that leadership wise things have been heading back in that direction ever since Yeltsin was no longer in charge. It's been well known that Putin was a hardliner in Soviet Russia, so his desire to reach that original comfort level is about as much of a surprise to me as the knowledge that most of the Russian Mafia leadership is former KGB.

Flagstaffsooner
6/2/2007, 01:54 PM
Somewhere in hell uncle Joe is happy in his pants.
http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/images/lowrez/stalin_color555.jpg

swardboy
6/2/2007, 03:04 PM
Plus the fact that he recently said, "We can defeat your shield" doesn't inspire hope in me. I think he and the old hardliners are still p*&&ed that they couldn't outspend us on "Star Wars" technology and bankrupted the Soviet Empire trying to do so. They've gone somewhat capitalism in order to raise the money to get back into the fight so to speak.

All his critics meet untimely deaths don't they ? !!!!!!

85Sooner
6/2/2007, 03:06 PM
Plus the fact that he recently said, "We can defeat your shield" doesn't inspire hope in me. I think he and the old hardliners are still p*&&ed that they couldn't outspend us on "Star Wars" technology and bankrupted the Soviet Empire trying to do so. They've gone somewhat capitalism in order to raise the money to get back into the fight so to speak.

All his critics meet untimely deaths don't they ? !!!!!!

Seems a few of the Clintons critics have that same problem.