PDA

View Full Version : best ROCK band

OUAndy1807
6/1/2007, 08:21 PM
who is it? no qualifiers, please.I'm saying the Rolling Stones.

and I'm automatically throwing out all votes for the Beatles. They were great, but it's too easy of an answer and technically I think they were more of a pop act than a rock band.

royalfan5
6/1/2007, 08:22 PM
Van Halen

King Crimson
6/1/2007, 08:24 PM
the stooges

Rogue
6/1/2007, 08:25 PM
AC/DC

They wrote what is, IMO, THE rock anthem in 1980. Twice.

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 08:35 PM

and I'm automatically throwing out all votes for the Beatles. They were great, but it's too easy of an answer and technically I think they were more of a pop act than a rock band.

you just put a qualifier in there

Beatles
Pink Floyd
Nirvana (way ahead of their time in many ways and actually would be incredible today)
Pearl Jam

critical_phil
6/1/2007, 08:35 PM
this should've been a pole - with royal and rogue's answers as the 2 choices.

royalfan5
6/1/2007, 08:37 PM

Nirvana (way ahead of their time in many ways and actually would be incredible today)

The Pixies must have been way, way ahead of their time then.

Jerk
6/1/2007, 08:39 PM
If you want to be serious about this and talk about which rock band had more infuence over all future bands and which has stood the test of time, it's none other than...drum roll.....

Led Zepellin.

And btw, fu**sticks, "Stairway to Heaven" is not their signiture song. "Kashmire" is.

Rogue
6/1/2007, 08:41 PM
Gotta give props to RF and Jerk there.

slickdawg
6/1/2007, 08:49 PM
Guns N' Roses

Newbomb Turk
6/1/2007, 08:49 PM
I'll back up two bands already chosen:

AC/DC
Van Halen

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 08:56 PM
The Pixies must have been way, way ahead of their time then.

eh, they were ok but they lacked the spark

to be a truly great rock bank (imho) you have to have dynamic incredible personalities,

while van halen has one of the best guitarists in the world, after dlr left they just didn't have the same spark. Couple that with the fact that one of their biggest hits (Jump) is actually pretty lame if you really listen to it, well, they fall back (atleast for me). Plus, adding in the synthesizers takes away from the experience.

When I think rock, I want powerful lead guitar, great bass and some drums. No need for synthesizers.

AC/DC is a very good choice, and they are a heck of an arena rock band.

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 08:59 PM
If you want to be serious about this and talk about which rock band had more infuence over all future bands and which has stood the test of time, it's none other than...drum roll.....

Led Zepellin.

And btw, fu**sticks, "Stairway to Heaven" is not their signiture song. "Kashmire" is.

I'm sorry, but if you ask people at random to name one LZ song, they're going to name Stairway...

(and yes, "Kashmire" is damn good, but come on)

Newbomb Turk
6/1/2007, 09:00 PM
while van halen has one of the best guitarists in the world, after dlr left they just didn't have the same spark. Couple that with the fact that one of their biggest hits (Jump) is actually pretty lame if you really listen to it

Althought I liked early VH, they were pretty damn good with Sammy.

I don't know what their biggest seller was with DLR, but Jump wasn't their best music. VH1 kicked ***.

critical_phil
6/1/2007, 09:01 PM
When I think rock, I want powerful lead guitar, great bass and some drums.

says the guy who nominated Nirvana.......

i could teach a lemur to play the bass line on a Nirvana song.

the guitar is a little tougher, so i'd require a higher primate - like maybe a spider monkey.

they had a helluva drummer though.

royalfan5
6/1/2007, 09:04 PM
says the guy who nominated Nirvana.......

i could teach a lemur to play the bass line on a Nirvana song.

the guitar is a little tougher, so i'd require a higher primate - like maybe a spider monkey.

they had a helluva drummer though.
That reminds of when I bought my bass, the first thing my serious musician friend told me is "At the very least you can play Nirvana songs"

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/1/2007, 09:05 PM
Led Zepellin.

And btw, fu**sticks, "Stairway to Heaven" is not their signiture song. "Kashmire" is.Sorry, kids, it's "Whole Lotta Love"

Rogue
6/1/2007, 09:07 PM
She was a fast machine...

I'm sorry, but if you ask people at random to name one LZ song, they're going to name Stairway...

(and yes, "Kashmire" is damn good, but come on)

Probably, but you might be surprised. I think you'd get a mixed bag on this question. I might answer "Over The Hills & Far Away" my favorite LZ song for the record.

critical_phil
6/1/2007, 09:08 PM
That reminds of when I bought my bass, the first thing my serious musician friend told me is "At the very least you can play Nirvana songs"

exactly.

if it weren't for that ****** from U2, chris novoselic would be the most unimaginative bassist in rock history.

royalfan5
6/1/2007, 09:08 PM
I think Immigrant Song might come up more than you think too.

royalfan5
6/1/2007, 09:09 PM
exactly.

if it weren't for that ****** from U2, chris novoselic would be the worst bassist in rock history.
Plus he caught his bass with his face on TV too.

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 09:13 PM
Dave is probably one of the most talented artists of my generation. He's a heck of a guitarist also.

Rock isn't always about complexity, actually, generally it's more about simplicity. It's not a competition of who can play the most complicated rift, it's who has the best rift that goes with the song. For the most part, all the bands up there (wht the exception of Van Halen) have pretty damn simple lead and bass parts.

If you want to get into funky *** bass lines, then Primus hits the list really fast with Claypool being so good. But you also then have to include the Reverend HH. (oh and lets not forget RHCP with Flea). If guitars pull then The White Stripes come up as what Jack White does on is pretty damn good, especially with a duo and pretty simple drum patterns.

As far as the effect that the band had on 1 single generation (their generation of fans how they have commonality with) you have a few major players. You have The Beatles in the 60's. In the 70's and 80's it's a little tougher because of just the sheer number and there wasn't 1 single band that ruled all imho (but bands like AC/DC, LZ, GNR, Motley Crue are in the mix). In the 90's, for my generation you have Nirvana pure and simple.

Rogue
6/1/2007, 09:19 PM
I've thought for a long time if KC hadn't committed hairy-cairy that Nirvana would have faded away fast and Pearl Jam would have dominated that scene even more.

In the late '80s and early '90s there would have been a strong argument for Metallica. Then, hard rock died for awhile.

I know Andy didn't want qualifiers, but we have laid out some nice criteria.
Guitars, bass, drums.
Influence.
Longevity?

Newbomb Turk
6/1/2007, 09:20 PM
you guys think too much - just listen to the ****ing music.

:cool:

critical_phil
6/1/2007, 09:22 PM
Dave is probably one of the most talented artists of my generation. He's a heck of a guitarist also.

Rock isn't always about complexity, actually, generally it's more about simplicity. It's not a competition of who can play the most complicated rift, it's who has the best rift that goes with the song. For the most part, all the bands up there (wht the exception of Van Halen) have pretty damn simple lead and bass parts.

If you want to get into funky *** bass lines, then Primus hits the list really fast with Claypool being so good. But you also then have to include the Reverend HH. (oh and lets not forget RHCP with Flea). If guitars pull then The White Stripes come up as what Jack White does on is pretty damn good, especially with a duo and pretty simple drum patterns.

As far as the effect that the band had on 1 single generation (their generation of fans how they have commonality with) you have a few major players. You have The Beatles in the 60's. In the 70's and 80's it's a little tougher because of just the sheer number and there wasn't 1 single band that ruled all imho (but bands like AC/DC, LZ, GNR, Motley Crue are in the mix). In the 90's, for my generation you have Nirvana pure and simple.

well why didn't you say so? this makes it very easy:

BOSTON!!!1!!!!!1!!!

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 09:33 PM
I've thought for a long time if KC hadn't committed hairy-cairy that Nirvana would have faded away fast and Pearl Jam would have dominated that scene even more.

In the late '80s and early '90s there would have been a strong argument for Metallica. Then, hard rock died for awhile.

I know Andy didn't want qualifiers, but we have laid out some nice criteria.
Guitars, bass, drums.
Influence.
Longevity?

Honestly, it was the worst thing possible for Pearl Jam when he did. They were by far the 2 most dominant bands on the scene and when Kurt passed, they were left alone. Honestly, I don't think Nirvana would have faded away at all. Whether or not you like thier guitar or find it complicated, Kurt frankly knew how to speak to my generation, and his fans. Dave Grohl is also so talented that frankly if Kurt had been clean and let his influence actually be there. Dave never pushed any musical influence on Nirvana, the most he did was record a few songs with Chris during the final sessions while waiting on Kurt. If Dave, Kurt and Chris had every actually, fully collaborated on new material then it would have been golden.

Boarder
6/1/2007, 09:37 PM
You've gotta say Led Zeppelin. they've ust got so many songs in so many different styles that are so good.

And, I think thier song is Stairway for sure, but a lot of people would say Lonely, Lonely, Lonely Time. (or, Rock and Roll if you want to get technical) :D

OKC-SLC
6/1/2007, 10:04 PM
1) Zeppelin.
2) the rest.

SoonerProphet
6/1/2007, 10:06 PM

I'll agree. I think the Stones had all the qualifiers of pioneers in rock and roll. One thing is though, I think Roger Waters and Gilmour took aspects of rock in a different direction...so they may be 1A for me personally.

SoonerProphet
6/1/2007, 10:07 PM
It's all about who made blues open to the masses.

soonerscuba
6/1/2007, 10:43 PM
It seems lately that bands with an "indie rock" sound are in. Hell, if you would have told me ten years ago Modest Mouse would blow up, I would be surprised. If Pavement were still together, they would be huge.

sooneron
6/1/2007, 10:51 PM
I gotta go with The Clash

Andy is still a tard for not listening to a Beatles album from Revolver onward. Pfffft pop act. :rolleyes:

Petro-Sooner
6/1/2007, 10:54 PM
Not saying the best. But made amark in the 80s

Motley Crue

Flagstaffsooner
6/1/2007, 10:55 PM
No ifs ands or buts...
http://www.tallercine.ua.es/grf/grf_noticias/led%20zeppelin.jpg

sooneron
6/1/2007, 10:56 PM
Not saying the best. But made amark in the 80s

Motley Crue
If by mark, you mean **** stain, then, yes.

I would give more up to Def Leppard

Petro-Sooner
6/1/2007, 10:59 PM
If by mark, you mean **** stain, then, yes.

I would give more up to Def Leppard

Really? I'm a Def Leppard fan without a doubt but respectfuly disagree.

sooneron
6/1/2007, 11:01 PM
Motley Crue - supplying strip clubs with anthems since...

NEVAR into them

Petro-Sooner
6/1/2007, 11:04 PM
Was your average MC fan til I saw them live in OKC a couple years ago. Seriously was the most outragous show, over the top concert/event I had ever seen. But thats just my opinion. Not the best ever but great for the 80s

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 11:08 PM
No ifs ands or buts...
http://www.bluesforpeace.com/images/led-zeppelin.jpg

red x rmfo

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 11:09 PM
Motley Crue - supplying strip clubs with anthems since...

NEVAR into them

how can you hate a band that supply strip club anthems

KC//CRIMSON
6/1/2007, 11:13 PM
The Rolling Stones

game over.

sooneron
6/1/2007, 11:18 PM
how can you hate a band that supply strip club anthems
Never said I hated them, just disregarded them. Does U2 Count for an 80's band?

Interesting thing about the Stones- it was The Beatles that told them to write their own songs.

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 11:24 PM
which is why the Beatles win by default...

sooneron
6/1/2007, 11:26 PM
which is why the Beatles win by default...
Yep if not for The Beatles Mick would be Irish of Stiff Richard in London!!!!:eek:

mikeelikee
6/1/2007, 11:27 PM
I go with Boston. Soaring vocals, and very tight instrumentals.

goingoneight
6/2/2007, 12:08 AM
No ifs ands or buts...
http://www.bluesforpeace.com/images/led-zeppelin.jpg

red-x kicks ***!!!

silverwheels
6/2/2007, 12:13 AM
Who is Led Zeppelin?

Tailwind
6/2/2007, 12:47 AM
The Rolling Stones

game over.
Not.

Tailwind
6/2/2007, 12:55 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/helenml/zep_75_laforum.jpg

BigRedJed
6/2/2007, 02:59 AM
The.

Who.

You're welcome.

yermom
6/2/2007, 03:18 AM
i'm a HUGE Zeppelin fan, but i don't think i can quite put them up there

i think the Beatles edge them out

the Stones and The Who probably have cases as well

some of the Beatles stuff seems tired, but at the time it was crazy

Rogue
6/2/2007, 05:19 AM
Mebbe we should have a 'Best American Rock Band' thread. I hate it that most of the top bands in the discussion are Brits and Aussies.

I did love me some Motley Crue in the '80s. Course, I had a mullet then too.

Surprised not to see Black Sabbath mentioned yet too.
C'mon people.

47straight
6/2/2007, 07:58 AM
Reading this thread is like listening to the KATT.

And that's not a good thing.

Jerk
6/2/2007, 08:14 AM
You guys ever heard the Zepellin song called "In the Light"?

That is a bad *** tune. I heard it on radio one time in my life...107.7 KRXO

Another one that they don't play on the radio that is really good is "No Quarter"

Flagstaffsooner
6/2/2007, 08:20 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/helenml/zep_75_laforum.jpgThats my red x.

Flagstaffsooner
6/2/2007, 08:21 AM

Another one that they don't play on the radio that is really good is "No Quarter"Yup! Don't forget Kashmir.

sanantoniosooner
6/2/2007, 08:38 AM
I rarely respond in threads like this because it's so subjective. If you lay down some criteria it makes it easier to narrow, but you still wont come to a consensus.

Strong solos is an important thing for me. But then I'd also include quality of lyrics.

I like getting hit with 3 guitars, ala Scorpions.

I like having a unique sound like Boston had.

I like totally changing the landscape like Nirvana did. They killed hair metal single handedly almost overnight.

TUSooner
6/2/2007, 09:08 AM
----and I'm automatically throwing out all votes for the Beatles. They were great, but it's too easy of an answer and technically I think they were more of a pop act than a rock band.

You sell them short and must not have heard enough of them (Helter Skelter, I Want You/She's So Heavy, to name but 2). It's much more accurate to say the Beatles were MORE than "just a rock band."
Now carry on with the fight for #2. :D

Spray
6/2/2007, 09:09 AM
I'll go with Zeppelin. I think that is why I think Wolfmother jams so damn hard- very Zep-esque.

Also, I don't give a damn how hard it is to play if it sounds good. If a lemur and spider monkey want to get up on stage and jam out some "Smells Like Teen Spirit", then I say rock on, brutha.

def_lazer_fc
6/2/2007, 10:45 AM
The.

Who.

You're welcome.
i was about to say the who seeing as they had not been mentioned until page 3.

Beef
6/2/2007, 10:47 AM
Yep if not for The Beatles Mick would be Irish of Stiff Richard in London!!!!:eek:
Heh.

def_lazer_fc
6/2/2007, 10:51 AM
I'll go with Zeppelin. I think that is why I think Wolfmother jams so damn hard- very Zep-esque.

never ever ever ever ever mention wolfmother in the same sentence as zepp. wolfmother sucks balls. they are no different than that jet band where all they did was rip off the stooges. both bands are terrible imitations.

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 10:52 AM
i can't take wolfmother seriously. i guess if i bought a black light and some unicorn posters and started wearing a cape....they aren't bad, but i dunno.

def_lazer_fc
6/2/2007, 10:55 AM
nope. they suck whatever you do. if bam margera likes em, they suck.

birddog
6/2/2007, 10:59 AM
screw wolfmother. shouldn't they be around for more than 2 years before they get any cred.?

yermom
6/2/2007, 11:01 AM
dude, Wolfmother rocks. i wouldn't compare them to Jet at all

i hate you guys

i guess i need to check out The Stooges

def_lazer_fc
6/2/2007, 11:03 AM
dude, Wolfmother rocks. i wouldn't compare them to Jet at all

i hate you guys

i guess i need to check out The Stooges

no one is comparing them to jet. wolfmother rips off zepp, jet rips off the stooges. both suck.

and you haven't heard the stooges?! any and all opinions about music from you now officially don't count.

yermom
6/2/2007, 11:04 AM

Another one that they don't play on the radio that is really good is "No Quarter"

one of the lesser known songs that i didn't notice on the radio until the last few years is The Ocean, i didn't hear it until i listened to the box set

i also really like In My Time of Dying

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 11:14 AM
yermom, send me 5 bucks for the postage and i'll burn you the 3 stooges records if you want.

yermom
6/2/2007, 11:21 AM
ARRR!

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 12:36 PM
wolfmother sounds more like deep purple than a strict Zep knockoff. obviously some of the riffs are straight Page.....but even Styx at times.

the best deep purple rip off record is ride the lightening.

Howzit
6/2/2007, 12:43 PM
I speked all Zepplin answers, as they were correct.

Although I have not heard any Stooges, which will be alleviated promptly.

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 12:46 PM
everyone talks about Raw Power, but funhouse is the best stooges record. RP is mighty....but funhouse is the truth. best place to start is prolly the self-titled one i have as an avvie. though, minus the weird 10 minutes Cale produced faux-Velvet U number the record is only about 22 minutes long.

yermom
6/2/2007, 12:47 PM
wolfmother sounds more like deep purple than a strict Zep knockoff. obviously some of the riffs are straight Page.....but even Styx at times.

the best deep purple rip off record is ride the lightening.

there's some White Stripes and Sabbath in there too i think

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 12:49 PM
there's some White Stripes and Sabbath in there too i think

yup. they are quite a hybrid. which is not to slag em off....i really dig the Brian Jonestown Massacre and they are as "retro"/derivative as you can get at times....

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 12:53 PM
the first stooges record is the best "punk rock" record bo diddly never made.....along with maybe GNR's mister brownstone.

Boarder
6/2/2007, 01:28 PM
I would call the Beatles the best band (band as a whole, not necessarily the most musically gifted), not really a rock band though. And, I'd say that for the same reasons as Led Zeppelin. Tons of songs in so many different styles that are great. So many great ones you never ever hear.

A lot of people will listen to the LZ box set and say, "Oh, yeah, I like that song." or "ohhh, I didn't know that was LZ."

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 01:49 PM
i could see a very good argument made on behalf of the Who. why? because all these original UK rock bands are expressions of working class culture....and that for the great ones, like the Stones, Beatles and LZ, it came through as blues or R&B influences....but, the Who seem to come from nowhere. they don't have that "point to the Isley Brothers, Buddy Holly, or Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon" factor.

and, to me, this about albums and the people who buy them...and not what you hear on the radio. you never hear any but about 5 Who songs on the radio. they have many albums of great rock music....solid all the way through.

and it would be hard to argue that there's a better stretch in rock than the stones Begger's, sticky fingers, exile, let i bleed...10 album sides is 4 years? as i mentioned in a different thread, that's 2 slbum sides for U2.

and somebody ought to mention Cream, CCR, the Jimi Hendrix experience, Band of Gypsys, Big Star, the Velvet Underground, and my personal favorite, the minutemen.

slickdawg
6/2/2007, 02:37 PM
In the most underappreciated song EVAR thoughts.....

Zeppelin's "Thank You" is another that gets overlooked because of the monster hit.

85Sooner
6/2/2007, 03:03 PM

That in itself is a qualifier. My answer? THE BEATLES I can explain why for so many reasons.

Tailwind
6/2/2007, 04:03 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/Led-Kashmir/1973-05-28_San_Diego_07_BD.jpg
Just wanted to get Bonzo in the pic.

Rogue
6/2/2007, 07:47 PM
Mrs. Rogue and I listened to the whole Wolfmother album awhile back. We kept naming bands that we heard riffs from, vocals like, lyrics reminiscent of, etc. The list was quite long and full of most of the good late '60's to '70's rock bands and some punk. I dig their sound a lot, but they don't belong in this thread.

Rogue
6/2/2007, 07:56 PM
AC/DC

They wrote what is, IMO, THE rock anthem in 1980. Twice.

First one... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPlEnC4SdCA)

Second one... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XKuxxZ2JCI&mode=related&search=)

I mean just listen to the first bars of each song and you'll realize the soundness of my position, whether you agree or not, whether you are a die hard Page/Plant guy or committed to the boys from Liverpool, it's hard not to appreciate the simplicity, power, timelessness, and all around greatness that is AC/DC. Keep in mind this was their rebirth, coming-out-again shot in the arm that took them from solid to Rock Gawd status in an instant. I'm gonna hafta stop now and wipe a tear from my eye and enjoy whatever the opposite of a moment-of-silence is in honor of these giants.

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 07:58 PM

I mean just listen to the first bars of each song and you'll realize the soundness of my position, whether you agree or not...

I agree.

royalfan5
6/2/2007, 08:06 PM

I mean just listen to the first bars of each song and you'll realize the soundness of my position, whether you agree or not, whether you are a die hard Page/Plant guy or committed to the boys from Liverpool, it's hard not to appreciate the simplicity, power, timelessness, and all around greatness that is AC/DC. Keep in mind this was their rebirth, coming-out-again shot in the arm that took them from solid to Rock Gawd status in an instant. I'm gonna hafta stop now and wipe a tear from my eye and enjoy whatever the opposite of a moment-of-silence is in honor of these giants.

In addition those two songs will be issued to new strippers at orientation until the end of time.

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:13 PM
while awesome, neither of those songs hold a candle to Stairway or Kashmir

royalfan5
6/2/2007, 08:14 PM
while awesome, neither of those songs hold a candle to Stairway or Kashmir
I disagree. The ultimate measure of rock and roll should be how well a chick can remove her clothing whilst wrapped around a brass pole. AC/DC are the kings of that category.

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:16 PM
then you've got to get into NIN and the Crue as well ;)

royalfan5
6/2/2007, 08:18 PM
then you've got to get into NIN and the Crue as well ;)
I believe you are forgetting Mr. Rob Zombie.

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:20 PM
well, i'm not that up on my stripper music :D

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 08:23 PM
the first Danzig record (which is actually really good compared to the cartoon stuff he/they did later).....also some real stripper classics: twist of cain was used in teh show Entourage is said capacity. great opening riff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYrbttzKcSo

Rogue
Some of these comments needed pics. And since the LZ crowd supported their arguments with pics, I submit that AC/DC is making women skinnier and sexier around the world.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/cjrogue/top4.jpg

Full story (http://www.vancourier.com/issues04/091104/news/091104nn4.html)

Pole dancing instructor Christine Boyer: "Brass is porous so it can absorb oils and creams." Photo by Dan Toulgoet..."There's a little giggling at first but one spin on the pole and you're hooked," said Hinze, who's now training to teach her own pole dancing classes. ...The women participating see it as a fun form of exercise, and some see it as a way to spice up a relationship with their partners. ..."No one was teaching it here," said Boyer. "So we ordered a pole and started ourselves."

The two women tried several poles before designing a prototype of their own, now available through their website at www.aradiafitness.com. Boyer said the first one they ordered screwed into the ceiling and had a rubber foot that kept shifting. The chrome also needed constant cleaning because moisturizers, hand creams and sweat make it slippery.

Newbomb Turk
in that case - Warrant - "Cherry Pie"

Rogue
6/2/2007, 08:25 PM
Mebbe this should be in the hair band thread, but these guys might make the honorable mention list, at least for their stripability...

Not to mention the one-armed drummer (http://youtube.com/watch?v=iVxiHC9AJQw)

royalfan5
6/2/2007, 08:27 PM
Mebbe this should be in the hair band thread, but these guys might make the honorable mention list, at least for their stripability...

The Drummer from Def Leppard has only got one arm, The Drummer from Def Leppard has only got one arm, The Drummer from DEF LEPPARD HAS ONLY GOT ONE ARM.

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 08:27 PM
I'm rounding up some $1 bills.

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 08:30 PM
guess I'll support my argument with a video.

Cherry Pie (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GdDxz2bkfhE)

KC//CRIMSON
6/2/2007, 08:40 PM
Not.

Look at the entire body of work. The entire catalog. It's the Stones, people. It's not even close.

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 08:42 PM
Look at the entire body of work. The entire catalog. It's the Stones, people. It's not even close.
Stones are up there - no doubt.

Rogue
6/2/2007, 08:44 PM
Mrs Rogue would probably agree with you. The top gaggle in the group with that critera are prolly (keeping in mind our original charge):
Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, KISS, and Black Sabbath. How close it is or isn't seems to be up for debate.

King Crimson
stones have a lot of really average records. however, as i pointed out before....the stretch of beggar's banquet, sticky fingers, exile, and let it bleed is about as strong as any in rock. now, what many people (apparently) need to do is go *buy* those records, listen the hell out of them, and not depend on the friggin radio.

yermom
guess I'll support my argument with a video.

Cherry Pie (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GdDxz2bkfhE)

there was way too much Warrant and not enough Bobbie Brown in that video

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 08:46 PM
and as far as a "band" that put out some quality records: the Bowie/Ziggy band with Mick Ronson puts out Ziggy, Hunky Dory, Man who sold the world, and pinups....and diamond dogs. alddin sane is OK, too.

yermom
6/2/2007, 08:46 PM
stones have a lot of really average records. however, as i pointed out before....the stretch of beggar's banquet, sticky fingers, exile, and let it bleed is about as strong as any in rock. now, what many people (apparently) need to do is go *buy* those records, listen the hell out of them, and not depend on the friggin radio.

i've been meaning to do that, actually...

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 08:49 PM
now, what many people (apparently) need to do is go *buy* those records, listen the hell out of them, and not depend on the friggin radio.

could I just pirate the mp3's?

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 08:54 PM
could I just pirate the mp3's?

maybe, i've heard such a thing is possible.

KC//CRIMSON
6/2/2007, 08:57 PM
i've been meaning to do that, actually...

might as well tag on "Goats Head Soup" and "It's Only Rock n Roll" and "Some Girls" while your at it. All are solid. IMO

Dig this, holmes.:cool: http://hypem.com/track/115878

william_brasky
6/2/2007, 08:59 PM

What has 9 arms and sucks?

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 09:00 PM
might as well tag on "Goats Head Soup" and "It's Only Rock n Roll" and "Some Girls" while your at it. All are solid. IMO

Dig this, holmes.:cool: http://hypem.com/track/115878

i'm a big fan of Some Girls. probably the last great record they made. tattoo you and emotional rescue are decent, have some high moments.

william_brasky
6/2/2007, 09:02 PM

Beatles
Pink Floyd
Pearl Jam

vThe Pixies must have been way, way ahead of their time then.

Joy Divsion was ahead of their time.

Live circa 1979 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=fDYBibAYd90)

SoonerStormchaser
6/2/2007, 09:18 PM
Rush and Journey

sooneron
6/2/2007, 09:22 PM
I know I said The Clash, but it's so hard depending on the mood. One minute The Who, the next minute- The Stones, the next, The Beatles, Clash, Replacements, Pixies, ....and of course, Zepp. Pink Floyd would be another.

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2007, 09:30 PM
I know I said The Clash, but it's so hard depending on the mood.

The Clash is really good stuff. Listened to the crap out of that back in the day. Best rock band though, I dont know.

yermom
6/2/2007, 10:21 PM
Joy Divsion was ahead of their time.

Live circa 1979 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=fDYBibAYd90)

i had no idea that wasn't a NIN original... that does NOT sound like a late 70's song

sooneron
6/2/2007, 10:26 PM
You kids today....

yermom
6/2/2007, 10:28 PM
if you only knew how much i overcame to know what i do ;)

it's not like the innerweb was like it is now when The Crow came out...

silverwheels
6/2/2007, 10:33 PM
Joy Division was great, but they weren't together long enough to really make a bigger impact than they already did.

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 10:39 PM
Joy Division was great, but they weren't together long enough to really make a bigger impact than they already did.

they;ve put out a couple good records lately, except they are called Interpol now.

:D

silverwheels
6/2/2007, 10:42 PM
they;ve put out a couple good records lately, except they are called Interpol now.

:D

Heh. Come on, Interpol is a little different.

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 10:43 PM
i like Interpol, i'm just foolin around.

sooneron
6/2/2007, 10:44 PM
I would liken Interpol to early Echo as well as JD.

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 10:46 PM
I would liken Interpol to early Echo as well as JD.

that's a good comparison. and of course we all know how underappreciated i think Crocodiles and Porcupine are. starts grinding axe.....

Jerk
6/2/2007, 11:46 PM
Rogue- If you want to narrow it down to best American band, it's The Eagles. We've discussed this, and came to a concensus that this is fact.

Jerk
6/2/2007, 11:47 PM
Jesus! "Just ur local mujahideen"??? WTF? Where'd that come from?

King Crimson
6/2/2007, 11:48 PM
Rogue- If you want to narrow it down to best American band, it's The Eagles. We've discussed this, and came to a concensus that this is fact.

no fuggin way it's the eagles. their early stuff is a straight up Gram Parsons/Chris Hillman rip off.

the eagles are better than the Jimi Hendrix Experience? no.

royalfan5
6/2/2007, 11:51 PM
Van Halen is way better than the Eagles. Hell, Steve Miller is better than the Eagles.

silverwheels
6/2/2007, 11:59 PM
I was hoping the Eagles wouldn't come up. Now I have to go vomit.

critical_phil
6/3/2007, 12:28 AM
since this thread has already gone to hell, i give you shania in leather singing an AC/DC cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHtuGMHWAf0&mode=related&search=

royalfan5
6/3/2007, 12:30 AM
Since the Eagles got drug into this thread. I suppose I should point out another guy/group better than the Eagles. Mr. John Fogerty

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TjMtgxg9FQo

royalfan5
6/3/2007, 12:32 AM
Also American and better than the Eagles
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tbF6myXqJvI

ZZ Top

King Crimson
6/3/2007, 12:45 AM
since this thread has already gone to hell, i give you shania in leather singing an AC/DC cover:

i wanted to run but i was already there....booo!!!

tommieharris91
6/3/2007, 01:33 AM
While were on bands who are close, but don't belong here:

Creedence Clearwater Revival
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan, but he's much more blues than rock.

def_lazer_fc
6/3/2007, 01:35 AM
i could count the ways that mick jagger wanted so bad to be a beatle. dude envied lennon.

OU Adonis
6/3/2007, 01:57 AM
A Flock of Seagulls

Hands down.

Hands

Down

soonerboomer93
6/3/2007, 02:48 AM
Actually, I think I recall hearing that it was a cover in Rolling Stone back when the soundtrack came out.

Yeah, Joy Division was ahead of their time (but I like the cover better). I do have some of them on my iPod

soonerboomer93
6/3/2007, 02:50 AM
and NIN puts on a spectacular live show (imho)

I came really close to going and seeing them in Tokyo, but they played on a Thursday and it was just poor timing for me to go

OUAndy1807
6/3/2007, 11:10 AM
The Eagles aren't even rock. They're elevator music.

King Crimson
6/3/2007, 11:26 AM
the Guess Who are from Canada and they are a better American band than the Iggles.

BigRedJed
6/3/2007, 05:20 PM
Obviously, Interpol, and other bands like the Editors and She Wants Revenge all owe a huge debt to Joy Division. I give Interpol more of a pass, though. They seem to bring enough new to the table, and seem to mean it enough, to let them get a pass. If ever seen them live, you're willing to forgive any derivative nature whatsoever. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

The act that owes Joy Division/New Order the most, IMO, is U2. Not so much for overall band sound, but Adam Clayton has been straight ripping off Peter Hook for a couple of decades now.

BTW, another great JD vid on that YouTube link is this one (http://youtube.com/watch?v=JCVHAjTBb1U&mode=related&search=). I especially love the She's Lost Control part. And damn, Ian Curtis was not easy on the eyes.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/3/2007, 05:23 PM
While were on bands who are close, but don't belong here:

Creedence Clearwater Revival
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan, but he's much more blues than rock.

You've lost your mind.

AggieTool
6/3/2007, 05:59 PM
Megadeth.:cool:

SoonerInKCMO
6/3/2007, 07:06 PM

I see your Shania and raise you a Celine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONt47Z0KZg&mode=related&search=

I win. :D

yermom
6/3/2007, 07:10 PM
damn Canadians

King Crimson
6/3/2007, 07:19 PM
I see your Shania and raise you a Celine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONt47Z0KZg&mode=related&search=

I win. :D

actually, C_Phil threatened me with Celine off board earlier today or last night. so he was a step ahead. better reload, KCMO. :texan: