PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood floors

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2007, 12:58 PM
What kind of maintainance, general upkeep do I ned to be doing to them? Any dos or don'ts that an idiot like myself should know about?

Before you ask, they are real hardwood not pergo or plam. They are the original floors from 1930, termite bores and all.:(

Mjcpr
6/1/2007, 12:59 PM
Are they pergo or plam? Do you know when they were originally installed? Any termite damage?

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2007, 01:01 PM
I'd like to thank Pat, Howzit, JK and Mongo for their input in advance. Well, apparently not Pat. Thanks after the fact.

Pat, I'm not sure if they are pergo or some kind of laminate. Do you think I should try to shoo the termites away?

Tulsa_Fireman
6/1/2007, 01:02 PM
Keep 'em clean. And try to keep 'em dry.

It makes it slicker than snot, but if you want to put a face shattering shine on it, sweep, mop lightly with an almost dry mop, hand dry, then get you a towel and some of that Liquid Gold and rub it in by hand. Looks gooooooooooood.

TopDaugIn2000
oil based poly is a B!TCH to apply correctly

Mjcpr
Try some Murphy's Soap, an RC Cola and a vanilla Moon Pie.

TopDaugIn2000
6/1/2007, 01:03 PM
I use Murphy's oil on mine. makes em smooooove SHINY

oh wait......we're still talking about floors, right?

Mjcpr
6/1/2007, 01:03 PM
.....mop lightly with an almost dry mop, hand dry, then get you a towel and some of that Liquid Gold and rub it in by hand.
1TC, I know what you're thinking and no, that is NOT what he's talking about.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/1/2007, 01:05 PM
He said Hard Wood.

heh heh heh heh

http://www.earache.com/WickedWorld/interview/cradle_of_filth/Beavis-Butthead.jpg

Howzit
6/1/2007, 01:05 PM
I'd like to thank Pat, Howzit, JK and Mongo for their input in advance. Well, apparently not Pat. Thanks after the fact.

Pat, I'm not sure if they are pergo or some kind of laminate. Do you think I should try to shoo the termites away?

Wait...you didn't really ask for my hardwood input.

Did you?

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks Fireman. My dog already has a helluva time on them. I'll have to try the liquid gold.

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2007, 01:08 PM
I'm pretty sure he and I are on the same page with the liquid gold application.

:D

toast
6/1/2007, 01:09 PM
I'll have to try the liquid gold.

I hear it goes well with steak.

StoopTroup
6/1/2007, 01:12 PM
Amorall the crud outta them and always wear socks when walking across them...it will help keep them shiny...;)

mdklatt
6/1/2007, 05:46 PM
And try to keep 'em dry.

*cough*

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2007, 05:55 PM
you missed the best joke in his post. I'll let you try it again. ;)

Jerk
6/1/2007, 06:07 PM
nm that was bad.

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 07:03 PM
peeing on them isn't the best thing

Preservation Parcels
6/1/2007, 09:42 PM
When we had 3/4" oak hardwood installed in the dining room 17 years ago, the guy said we should only ever use a soft cloth dampened with water. He said any cleaner would actually soften the finish and allow it to scratch more easily. It's a major traffic pathway, but even with four sons and all the neighborhood kids, it still looks great. We just sweep about every other day, and then wash it about once a week.

Jimminy Crimson
6/1/2007, 09:47 PM
I prefer my women with hardwood floors. Carpet is so 80's.

:cool:

LoyalFan
6/2/2007, 01:49 AM
Any dos or don'ts that an idiot like myself should know about?(

DON'T practice with your sand wedge on them.
DO remove your FootJoys when you come home from killing those little golfs.

You might, if not already have, place rugs and "runner" rugs in the most inhabited/traveled routes within the dwelling and ALWAYS under the dining table WITH those little load-spreading cups under same AND under all heavy furniture. Some might have metal studs under them or some other stuff that can damage the wood.

Good luck! That stuff surely is classy.

LF