PDA

View Full Version : How is my background crashing the servers?

Penguin
6/1/2007, 11:57 AM
The IT department sent an e-mail saying that our personalized backgrounds and color schemes are crashing the servers at work.

I'm no computer expert, but this sounds like a load of horse ****.

Morons are all around me and they're taking over the planet.

Hatfield
6/1/2007, 12:10 PM
because you are evil.

colleyvillesooner
6/1/2007, 12:20 PM
Tell em it's more likely your post count. :D

critical_phil
6/1/2007, 12:46 PM
Tell em it's more likely the pr0n from latvian web sites. :D

eggsactly.

crawfish
6/1/2007, 12:49 PM
That **** penguin avatar, stretched to background size, would KILL your processor load.

RacerX
6/1/2007, 01:06 PM
blame yermom

Vaevictis
6/1/2007, 01:06 PM
The IT department sent an e-mail saying that our personalized backgrounds and color schemes are crashing the servers at work.

If the desktop is actually being run on the servers and is being projected over the network onto your local computer, everyone having a different background with a bunch of high-res images could be eating up all the memory.

Other than that, I can't imagine.

Partial Qualifier
6/1/2007, 01:13 PM
*if* they're using Citrix to publish your desktop sessions, what Vaevictus said.

They could lock your desktop down with group policy so u CAN'T change it but it sound like they haven't thought of that yet

TheHumanAlphabet
6/1/2007, 02:36 PM
If the desktop is actually being run on the servers and is being projected over the network onto your local computer, everyone having a different background with a bunch of high-res images could be eating up all the memory.

Other than that, I can't imagine.

So is that why the Upstream part of my company deletes people's personalized desktop and any photos used in the screensaver? They use Citrix. The downstream portion doesn't do this and doesn't use Citrix.

Vaevictis
6/1/2007, 03:28 PM
So is that why the Upstream part of my company deletes people's personalized desktop and any photos used in the screensaver? They use Citrix. The downstream portion doesn't do this and doesn't use Citrix.

I have no idea, really. You could just be having a case of BOFH, for all I know.

But it seems plausible ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/1/2007, 03:29 PM
PQ is such a bastard for crashing your servers.

Penguin
6/1/2007, 03:50 PM
ALL YOUR SERVER ARE BELONG TO US!