PDA

View Full Version : I guess I fail to see the point here

Sooner in Tampa
6/1/2007, 05:23 AM
So let me get this straight...if you offer a service, any service, you MUST include gays, lesbians, and bisexuals ?

Let's say that I want to offer a service, say, I sell family vacactions...a lesbian couple wants to use my sercvice and I deny them...I can then be sued?

I know this is a state law, but it just makes me shake my head. I guess I am getting old...I would think that if one wants to offer a dating service to just heterosexuals, one should be able to do that. I would have to think that there are dating services for alternative lifestyles. I mean it is California and all :P . I mean, I am not an attorney...nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A Northern California woman sued the online dating service eHarmony on Thursday, alleging it discriminates against gays, lesbians and bisexuals.
Linda Carlson said she tried to use the Internet site in February to meet a woman but could not based on her sexual orientation. When Carlson wrote to eHarmony to complain, the company refused to change its policy, according to the lawsuit filed on her behalf in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
The lawsuit claims that by only offering to find a compatible match for men seeking women or women seeking men, the company was violating state law barring discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
"Such outright discrimination is hurtful and disappointing for a business open to the public in this day and age," Carlson said in a statement.
The lawsuit names Pasadena-based eHarmony.com Inc., company founder Neil Clark Warren and his wife Marylyn, the company's former vice president, as defendants. It seeks class-action status, a jury trial and unspecified damages.
The company, which conducts extensive personality profiling before introducing couples with matching values and interests, denied the allegation.
"The research that eHarmony has developed, through years of research, to match couples has been based on traits and personality patterns of successful heterosexual marriages," a company statement said. "Nothing precludes us from providing same-sex matching in the future, it's just not a service we offer now based upon the research we have conducted." Warren is a clinical psychologist who has written several books about dating and relationships.

olevetonahill
6/1/2007, 05:42 AM
They need to tell the Yainch to start her own site .

Jerk
6/1/2007, 05:59 AM
Do you think the word "lickity-split" is offensive to lesbians?

I ask this, as a lesbian myself, trapped in a man's body.

jk the sooner fan
6/1/2007, 06:02 AM
you can sue anybody for just about anything - doesnt mean the suit will be successful

Sooner in Tampa
6/1/2007, 06:08 AM
They need to tell the Yainch to start her own site .:D Maybe she should get in touch with Rosie for financial backing :P

VeeJay
6/1/2007, 06:17 AM
In California, there are plenty of protests, Earth Day events, etc. for the lady to find a suitable match.

Scott D
6/1/2007, 06:23 AM
I wonder if this will now lead all of the single people who get rejection notices from eHarmony whom are straight to sue them for being biased against straight single people.

Okla-homey
6/1/2007, 06:36 AM
Why can't she just hang out at WNBA games or follow the LPGA tour?

Harry Beanbag
6/1/2007, 07:16 AM
That's gay.

olevetonahill
6/1/2007, 07:46 AM
:D Maybe she should get in touch with Rosie for financial backing :P
Good point . Maybe the donald could help em plan it .

Hatfield
6/1/2007, 09:26 AM
you can sue anybody for just about anything - doesnt mean the suit will be successful

yep.