PDA

View Full Version : the truth about Nirvana: Nevermind

King Crimson
6/1/2007, 01:21 AM
side one is a pop culture killer. the Butch Vig production is unreal. it sounds like the most gawdamned beautiful distortion honey coming out of yer preamp and old schooly JBL speakers. the revolution is now.

side two is kinda sucking, really.

and the guitar solo on "Teen Spirit" is awful. one of the worst in rock.

and i was the biggest Bleach-head there was. had it on the orig sub-pop vinyl.

one of the best lines i ever heard was from a girl named Bernice: she said when it came out: someday you'll hear "Come as you are" in an elevator. i like that song, but i bet she's right.

anyway, if t'were not for my neighbors...i don't think you can turn up Lithium enough to make it not sound great. Butch Vig is a side one sellout genius.

StoopTroup
6/1/2007, 01:26 AM
My Favorite Nirvana Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nuSnaeUlzg)

StoopTroup
6/1/2007, 01:42 AM
Quality time with Kurtis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S-16jdsOF4&mode=related&search=)

Blue
6/1/2007, 02:22 AM
I like Nirvana, but Damn. No loss there.

birddog
6/1/2007, 04:42 AM
i still, to this very day, listen to that bleach album. what a beauty. anytime you can make that much noise sound so good in 1 day at the studio,for $500, you're doing something right.

King Crimson
6/1/2007, 08:04 AM
I'm a negative creep.

colleyvillesooner
6/1/2007, 09:10 AM
I'm a negative creep.

are you stoned?

colleyvillesooner
6/1/2007, 09:11 AM
My Favorite Nirvana Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nuSnaeUlzg)

I think that was at Trees in Dallas. Looks an awful lot like it.

Guess it was, from a Biography:

In Dallas, on October 19 [1991], Kurt went into meltdown mode again. The show was doomed from the start because it was oversold and the audience spilled onto the stage. Frustrated, Kurt destroyed a monitor console by whacking his guitar against it. When a few minutes later he dived into the crowd, a bouncer named Turner Van Blarcum attempted to help him back onstage, which Kurt mistakenly read as an aggressive act. He responded by smashing the butt end of his guitar on Van Blarcum's head, drawing blood. It was a blow that might have killed a smaller man, but it only stunned Van Blarcum, who punched Kurt in the head, and kicked him as the singer fled. The audience began to riot. Kurt hid upstairs in a closet until promoter Jeff Liles finally convinced him Van Blarcum had gone to the hospital and could do him no harm. 'I know he had drunk a ton of cough syrup that night,' Liles explained. Kurt finally reappeared and finished the set.

But the action was far from over. After the show, Liles managed to get the band into a waiting cab, which sped off only to come right back: No one in the band knew what hotel they were in. Just as the cab returned, so did Van Blarcum -- complete with a bloody bandage on his head. He shattered the taxi windows with his fist as the driver frantically tried to pull away. The cab escaped, but as they pulled off -- with no destination still -- the members of Nirvana sat in in the backseat covered with broken glass."

App

jk the sooner fan
6/1/2007, 09:15 AM
dave grohl was underutilized/underappreciated......

just sayin

King Crimson
6/1/2007, 09:30 AM
dave grohl was underutilized/underappreciated......

just sayin

i agree, though there is more than a little rumor that he did a lot of the writing on Nevermind. he wasn't in Nirvana before that. the drummer on Bleach is not Grohl. and to go from the lo-fi sludge sound (with an extra guitarist, Jason Everman) of Bleach to the highly polished pop savvy Nevermind was an interesting shift to those of us Bleach-heads at the time.

birddog
6/1/2007, 11:01 AM
son of a gun and molly's lips might as well be filed under bubble gum pop. what i liked about incestide was there was no real order or theme from each song to the next. you might as well just hit random because you didn't know what you were getting next.

beautiful cd with crappy sound quality.

King Crimson
6/1/2007, 11:03 AM
son of a gun and molly's lips might as well be filed under bubble gum pop. what i liked about incestide was there was no real order or theme from each song to the next. you might as well just hit random because you didn't know what you were getting next.

beautiful cd with crappy sound quality.

about a girl on Bleach is basically a monkees song (same progression as stepping stone). supposedly the original Albini produced In Utero was like that.....noise circus. and the label wouldn't sign off or something.

Jeopardude
6/1/2007, 01:14 PM

The one in Heart-Shaped Box is even worse.

I like Nirvana, but if they didn't exist and consequently all the Nirvana rip-off bands that followed wouldn't have existed, I'd not be that sad.

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 01:40 PM
side one is a pop culture killer. the Butch Vig production is unreal. it sounds like the most gawdamned beautiful distortion honey coming out of yer preamp and old schooly JBL speakers. the revolution is now.

side two is kinda sucking, really.

and i was the biggest Bleach-head there was. had it on the orig sub-pop vinyl.

one of the best lines i ever heard was from a girl named Bernice: she said when it came out: someday you'll hear "Come as you are" in an elevator. i like that song, but i bet she's right.

anyway, if t'were not for my neighbors...i don't think you can turn up Lithium enough to make it not sound great. Butch Vig is a side one sellout genius.

heresy

I know disown you as someone capable of working at CU or UCD

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 01:42 PM
i agree, though there is more than a little rumor that he did a lot of the writing on Nevermind. he wasn't in Nirvana before that. the drummer on Bleach is not Grohl. and to go from the lo-fi sludge sound (with an extra guitarist, Jason Everman) of Bleach to the highly polished pop savvy Nevermind was an interesting shift to those of us Bleach-heads at the time.

he has stated that he did no writing for nirvana, Infact, i recall him mentioning recording some stuff with chris while waiting on Kurt, and then they did "you know you're right" and then well, Kurt passed and then groh started recording his own stuff. If you listen to the Foo and Nirvana, yhou can tell that while Grohl is incredible, the sounds are pretty different

Scott D
6/1/2007, 01:42 PM
you guys are making yermom very very angry

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2007, 01:59 PM
Todd Snider - Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues

hey, hey, my, my
rock and roll will never die
hang your hair down in your eye
you'll make a million dollars

well i was in this band goin' nowhere fast
we sent out demos but everybody passed
so one day we finally took the plunge
moved out to seattle to play some grunge
washington state that is
space needle
eddie vedder
mudhoney

now to fit in fast we wear flannel shirts
we turn our amps up until it hurts
we've got bad attitudes and what's more
when we play we stare straight down at the floor
wowee
pretty scary
how pensive
how totally alternative

now to fit in on the seattle scene
you've gotta do somethin' they ain't never seen
so thinkin' up a gimmick one day
we decided to be the only band that wouldn't play a note
under any circumstances
silence
music's original alternative
root's grunge

well we spread the word through the underground
that we were the hottest new thing in town
the record guy came out to see us one day
and just like always we didn't play
it knocked him out
he said he loved our work
he said he loved our work but he wasn't sure if he could sell a record
with nothing on it
i said tell 'em we're from seattle
he advanced us two and a half million dollars

hey, hey, my, my
rock and roll will never die
hang your hair down in your eye
you'll make a million dollars

well they made us do a video but that wasn't tough
'cuz we just filmed ourselves smashin' stuff
it was kinda weird 'cuz there was no music
but mtv said they'd love to use it

the kids went wild, the kids went nuts
rolling stone gave us a five-star review said we played with guts
we're scorin' chicks, takin' drugs
then we got asked to play mtv unplugged
you should have seen it
we went right out there and refused to do acoustical versions of the
electrical songs we had refused to record in the first place
then we smashed our ****

well we blew 'em away at the grammy's show
by refusing to play and refusing to go
and then just when we thought fame would last forever
along come this band that wasn't even together
now that's alternative
now that's alternative to alternative
*i feel stupid
and contagious

well our band got dropped and that ain't funny
'cuz we're all hooked on drugs but we're outta money
so the other day i called up the band
i said boys i've taken all i can
shave off your goatees
pack the van
**we're goin' to Texas to play with
Jack Ingram and the Beat Up Ford Band

* sometimes he says 'they're called Guns and Roses' instead the stupid and contagious
** sometimes he says 'goin' to Boulder to follow the Yonder Mountain String Band'

King Crimson
6/1/2007, 04:26 PM
** sometimes he says 'goin' to Boulder to follow the Yonder Mountain String Band'

YMSB and String CHeese Incident make me want to kill myself. nothing (NOTHING) is worse than snobby yuppie blue grass fans who think it's a salon culture. blue grass is people with no teeth and banjos, not 5 dollar pints, Saabs and banjos.

sooneron
6/1/2007, 05:27 PM
Butch Vig is a side one sellout genius.
This is true, as side one of Flipped Out In Singapore RMFO while side two.... not so much.

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 06:52 PM
eh, **** todd snider

KC//CRIMSON
6/1/2007, 11:09 PM
Actually, K.C. later stated that he didn't like the production of Nevermind. He said that if he could do it over again he would have made it a lot more muddy-er sounding than the too polished and bubble gummy original version.

soonerboomer93
6/1/2007, 11:12 PM
yup, and he picked the mixer hoping that it wouldn't be as refined after the mix was done

dolemitesooner
6/1/2007, 11:13 PM
I just got axis bold as love

sooneron
6/1/2007, 11:20 PM
I just got axis bold as love
'bout time