PDA

View Full Version : Any of y'all ever been to Montreal or Quebec City?

TUSooner
5/31/2007, 01:41 PM
Them be in Canada, BTW. :cool:
A friend has invited us up for sometime in July, and I have always wanted to go. I figure it may be a bit cooler up there than in S. Louisiana. TIA for the information and the certain displays of demi-wit. :pop:

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 01:54 PM
been to Montreal once. really cool city IMO.

Mjcpr
5/31/2007, 01:57 PM
been to Montreal once. really cool city IMO.

You were right TU, it is a bit cooler.

47straight
5/31/2007, 02:22 PM
Absolutely recommend both. It is much cooler that Louis Anna, the dollar still goes a little ways, the scenery is awesome, the Quebecois hate the queen even worse than we used to, they have their own fun swear words, and they treat you nicely as long as they realize you are american and not canadian.

Montreal is bigger, with a nice party district and comedy/jazz festivals, etc. Quebec City is more like going to a provincial part of france, without as much attitude, more romantic, etc. Both places should have nice outdoor activities going on.

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 02:26 PM
You were right TU, it is a bit cooler.

it's gonna get bad for you......only the hamheads will be your rescue...

TUSooner
5/31/2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks.

TUSooner
5/31/2007, 04:18 PM
--- they treat you nicely as long as they realize you are american and not canadian---
Would that be because US Americans get a pass for speaking English while Anglo-Canadians don't? I would want to try all my 17 words of French just to see how I got by anyway.

47straight
5/31/2007, 05:39 PM
Would that be because US Americans get a pass for speaking English while Anglo-Canadians don't? I would want to try all my 17 words of French just to see how I got by anyway.

That is *precisely* why. Nothing ****es them off more than other canadians who don't speak french. They must have lower expectations for yanks. That and some of them still want to be independent. The license plates say "je me souviens" or "i remember," as in "i remember when we weren't a freaking colony with a queen."

A lil french will still be useful because there are some that simply no parlessvoos the english, especially in more rural areas and as you get up to Quebec City.

Take time to learn to say "Tabernac" effectively, which is a somewhat blasphemous expression of frustration. That won hearts and minds for me.

There's also this dish called "poutain" or something like that that is essentially french onion soup with fried potatoes (french fries) and cheese. You should learn to say it better than I did, which came out pretty much as "poontang"

Okla-homey
5/31/2007, 05:44 PM
Been there, done that. While there, inter alia, ordered a "Royale" w/cheese at the faux-Frog McD's in Montreal.

Fun town, but its really annoying when the Quebecois won't speak English when you dang well know they do.:mad:

TUSooner
5/31/2007, 08:50 PM
That is *precisely* why. Nothing ****es them off more than other canadians who don't speak french. They must have lower expectations for yanks. That and some of them still want to be independent. The license plates say "je me souviens" or "i remember," as in "i remember when we weren't a freaking colony with a queen."

A lil french will still be useful because there are some that simply no parlessvoos the english, especially in more rural areas and as you get up to Quebec City.

Take time to learn to say "Tabernac" effectively, which is a somewhat blasphemous expression of frustration. That won hearts and minds for me.

There's also this dish called "poutain" or something like that that is essentially french onion soup with fried potatoes (french fries) and cheese. You should learn to say it better than I did, which came out pretty much as "poontang"

If I say "tabernac" I might sound precocious, then I'd get a torrent of quebecois French that I couldn't handle. :D