PDA

View Full Version : J.C. Watts -- Ahead of his time

Seamus
5/31/2007, 12:32 PM
Interesting article in the World:

J.C. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/article.aspx?articleID=070531_238_B1_MELWo42372&breadcrumb=OU)

Ahead of his time

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2007/070531_B1_MELWo42372_wattsMACGS.jpg

By JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer
5/31/2007

Switzer says J.C. Watts would be playing quaterback in today's NFL

Have you seen old video footage of Iba Awards keynote speaker J.C. Watts scrambling around and throwing spirals for the New York Jets?

No?

That's because the footage doesn't exist.

What's the problem?

"I was probably about six or seven years ahead of my time," Watts said.

Watts, a star quarterback at Eufaula High School and the University of Oklahoma, played pro ball in the Canadian Football League instead of the National Football League. Back then, the NFL wanted only cookie-cutter quarterbacks. Watts wasn't the right kind of cookie, but he tasted great to the folks up north.

Watts led the Ottawa Rough Riders to the Grey Cup -- the CFL's Super Bowl -- as a rookie and was chosen the game's offensive MVP even though his team lost. Watts played in Canada from 1981-86 and apparently made a lasting impression. Go to the CFL's official Web site and Watts' name is listed under "legends."

NFL quarterbacks come in all shapes, sizes and hues nowadays. If Watts played quarterback in this era "he would be a guy that would be drafted and would play in the NFL, I promise you,"
former OU and Dallas Cowboys coach Barry Switzer said.

Watts led a run-heavy wishbone offense at OU and twice was selected MVP of Orange Bowls. The Jets picked Watts in the eighth round of the 1981 NFL Draft with the intent of employing him as a running back and return man.

The Jets told Watts he had zero chance of being a quarterback and advised him to head across the border if he wanted to play the position. The CFL, where Warren Moon honed his craft before heading to the NFL, was more open-minded about QB's.

"My intentions were to go up there and prove that I could throw the ball 30 times a game and come back to the National Football League," Watts said. "I went up there and proved that I could throw the ball 30 times a game and I was successful at it, but the NFL just didn't have that many black quarterbacks at that time."

Watts led the CFL in yards per completion in 1983 and he threw for more than 6,000 yards over the next two seasons.

Even when Watts was running the 'bone at OU, former Oklahoma State coach Pat Jones had a pretty good idea that Watts was not a legs-only player.

"Those drives he engineered to beat Florida State in both of those Orange Bowls, they were throwing drives," Jones said. "They had to throw the ball to win those games. I thought he was more of a passer than a thrower. I thought he was a legit passer that had running skills."

People ask Switzer to pick his best OU quarterback. Troy Aikman notwithstanding, Switzer will point out that Watts was the lone Sooner quarterback to play the position professionally.

Watts, listed at 5-foot-11 in college, knew his chances of playing quarterback in the NFL would be limited. He played option football at OU, so that made teams suspect his ability to run a pro-style offense. The race issue crossed his mind, but he said he had to take the Jets at face value when they told him skin color wasn't an issue. And, at that time, everyone was looking for "the next Terry Bradshaw," according to Jones. Translated, teams back then wanted 6-foot-4 pocket passers.

"Today, I think they still want that kind of quarterback, but it's not taboo for a quarterback to be mobile," Watts said.

"Steve Young was a mobile quarterback. Donovan McNabb is a mobile quarterback. Randall Cunningham was a mobile quarterback. Warren Moon was a mobile quarterback. But those guys threw it downfield."

Watts indicated there is a difference between a mobile quarterback and a running quarterback, and he believes a running quarterback can't take a team to a Super Bowl. He puts himself in the mobile category, even though there were CFL seasons when he averaged a furlong per carry. He said he learned in a hurry that it's not smart to run for more yards than your running back.

"But if you are mobile, on third-and-5, you can drop back and if nothing is there, you can go get that six yards and get a first down. That's a real asset these days," Watts said.

"My style of quarterback is much more acceptable today. National Football League teams just have a different take on mobile quarterbacks these days, especially black mobile quarterbacks."

Watts would be perfect for spread option shotgun offenses in today's NFL, according to Switzer, adding that Watts is comparable height-wise with Michael Vick, Drew Brees and Tony Romo.

Watts doesn't sound like a man who regrets missing out on the NFL. He wanted to prove he could be a pro quarterback and he did it, although out of sight from those who watched him play in college.

"I had five good years in the Canadian Football League," he said. "I had five great years at the University of Oklahoma. I don't think any NFL experience could have been more special than that."

auto
5/31/2007, 01:10 PM
Class article from a great Sooner

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 01:16 PM
JC was the best run-pass option QB until Tommie Frazier. head to head i don't know. Tommie had a great D. JC had a pretty good D.

one of my fave OU players.

OKC-SLC
5/31/2007, 04:07 PM
Watts is/was a great Sooner.

However, he and his wife are not very good tippers.

Just sayin'.

SOONER STEAKER
5/31/2007, 04:22 PM
Saw JC on TV today talking about Global Warming. I can see him talking option football not global warming.

He was and is a Great Sooner!

TheUnnamedSooner
5/31/2007, 04:58 PM
Watts is/was a great Sooner.

However, he and his wife are not very good tippers.

Just sayin'.

A lot of people tip based on the service they received.....

Collier11
5/31/2007, 05:11 PM
Barry Switzer is a bad tipper also, just sayin! And trust me, he received far more grey goose and grapefruits than he paid for.

opksooner
5/31/2007, 05:13 PM
CFL Legend, J. C. Watts (http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=64)

OKC-SLC
5/31/2007, 05:45 PM
A lot of people tip based on the service they received.....
...which is why I say he's a bad tipper.

OU Adonis
5/31/2007, 09:19 PM
Jamelle was the best pure option QB ever.

King Crimson
6/1/2007, 12:17 AM

Switzer says it was Thomas Lott.

insuranceman_22
6/1/2007, 01:27 AM
JC was a stud......one of my fav. Sooners of all time!

King Crimson
6/1/2007, 01:30 AM
JC was a stud......one of my fav. Sooners of all time!

me too.

stoopified
6/1/2007, 08:40 AM
J.C. is one of my favorites which is why I named my 7 week old son J.C.,although in my son's case JC stands for Jason Charles not Julius Ceasar.

BermudaSooner
6/1/2007, 09:13 AM
Saw JC on TV today talking about Global Warming. I can see him talking option football not global warming.

He was and is a Great Sooner!

Why is that? I think JC is a very well spoken man. He had the 4th highest position in the House. He spoke at the 1996 Republican National convention, and gave the Republican response to Clinton's State of the Union one year.

I'd say the man is well spoken, and can talk about football, global warming, or the liberals in the Black Caucus who betray black people.

PLaw
6/1/2007, 03:30 PM
And tipper??

TheUnnamedSooner
6/1/2007, 03:47 PM
Gibbs was a bad tipper too. Blake was pretty good. I never waited on The King, though some of my fellow waiters did and said he tipped ok.

...which is why I say he's a bad tipper.

Sorry, forgot the ;)

SOONER STEAKER
6/1/2007, 03:55 PM
Blake might have been a good tipper but he never paid his bills He owed my (belated) fathers collection company several hundred thousand dollars. Blake is a scumbag!!

StoopTroup
6/1/2007, 04:04 PM
Civil Servants don't make alot of dough...:rolleyes:

:pop:

Taxman71
6/1/2007, 04:10 PM
Blake might have been a good tipper but he never paid his bills He owed my (belated) fathers company several hundred thousand dollars. Blake is a scumbag!!

Your dad is the cashier at Furr's?

OKC-SLC
6/1/2007, 07:46 PM
Sorry, forgot the ;)
Nah, I assumed it--I always do here first.

OKC-SLC
6/1/2007, 07:47 PM
Your dad is the cashier at Furr's?
And that's funny; and a shame that it sat here for over three hours.

oumartin
6/1/2007, 08:23 PM
I personally think Darian Hagan was the best option QB ever