PDA

View Full Version : this is a dumb idea

def_lazer_fc
5/31/2007, 12:07 AM
mark cuban wants to start up a leage (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2887465) to rival the NFL. yeah, vince mcmahon tried that. its called the xfl, and it failed miserably. but who knows...

Blue
5/31/2007, 12:10 AM
How about a new NBA? Oh yeah, there's no demand for the original.

goingoneight
5/31/2007, 12:49 AM
What about wrestling... cuz that's truly all that matters. :rolleyes:

oumartin
5/31/2007, 01:27 AM
I think a football league could make it if it was ran right. Vince Mc. tried to make it pro wrestling on turf.

boomersooner28
5/31/2007, 01:40 AM
This would be the 4th (AFL, XFL, and USFL) league to try and rival the NFL. The ONLY way another league would work is if they played in the Spring. I would watch football in the Spring, screw the NBA and MLB. There is no way you can survive competing with the NFL in the fall.

oumartin
5/31/2007, 01:48 AM
did they say it was gonna be on during college and pro ball? if so it won't fly. if they did it like you said in the spring. People are so football hungry they would watch it.

yermom
5/31/2007, 01:53 AM
the problem with the Spring is the weather, i mean it's basically still Winter for a lot of the season

and it said it would be on Fridays, i'm not sure if competing with HS football is really a great idea either

oumartin
5/31/2007, 01:57 AM
Heck winter makes it fun!

yermom
5/31/2007, 02:01 AM
it seems that was the problem with the USFL, no one wanted to go sit in the snow and ice

February and March can be pretty brutal around here...

Jimminy Crimson
5/31/2007, 02:24 AM
the problem with the Spring is the weather, i mean it's basically still Winter for a lot of the season

In a lot of NFL cities, November, December & January are winter, too...

yermom
5/31/2007, 02:29 AM
a lot of them have domes too though

it seems like it would be different to start the season with ****ty weather as opposed to finishing it

StoopTroup
5/31/2007, 03:36 AM
What about Professional Putt-Putt Golf?

mxATVracer10
5/31/2007, 07:29 AM
they were talking about this during the sports segment on Z104.5 The Edge this morning. They had some good points about it being good as a testing ground for the NFL if nothing else. I never watched the XFL, but that league apparently let to the camera angles and stuff that we nowadays get from the NFL.... and I definately like the playing in spring idea!

stoopified
5/31/2007, 08:38 AM
Apparently I am the only one old enough to recall the WFL( World Football League).Dteroit Wheels,my favorite THE CHICAGO FIRE,the rest escapes me.

Paperclip
5/31/2007, 10:58 AM
What about Professional Putt-Putt Golf?

I actually remember watching that.

Spray
5/31/2007, 11:13 AM
I'd watch a March-July league. My main problem is that the players they get generally don't excite me too much. The question to me is if there is enough quality depth in the college game to fill at least 10 50 man rosters with players that will generate interest.

The USFL managed to get some big names, but it cost the teams so much money intitally they couldn't ever get in the black. I think with the expansion of Div. I since the '80s, and even the quality of player you can get in Div I-AA nowadays, you might be able to put a quality product on the field.

Also, you've got to put many of the teams in cities that don't have an NFL franchise- this presents a problem with attendance. Birmingham always gets excited when they get one of these teams in a fledgling league, but that excitement wanes about halfway through the season. And if it is a city like B'Ham or OKC, they could NEVER compete in the Fall with the local colleges. It would have to be spring.

Playing on Fridays in the fall is a mistake. I get enough football on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday as it is. Hell, I barely watch MNF anymore. I've got other things to do than waste 4 days a week watching football in the fall. If you're going to start a pro league to compete with the NFL you have to do it indirectly- you can't go head-to-head with their season.

Just my intial thoughts.

birddog
5/31/2007, 11:57 AM
so, they would have to compete with the NFL and NFL Europa for players?

i think the problem is developing a recognizable brand for the audience. we always see these generic uni's, crappy names, and 3rd rate players. i tried to like the xfl but it reeked.

NormanPride
5/31/2007, 01:56 PM
The nicknames on the jerseys was cool though. "He Hate Me" is still legendary.

KABOOKIE
5/31/2007, 03:12 PM
Heh. The Boz in the XFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjL-NyK12-Q