PDA

View Full Version : Did you know Bricktown in OKC...

Soonerus
5/30/2007, 10:25 PM
...though still in its infancy, is becoming an awesome entertainment district...current plans are to take Lower Bricktown all the way to the river...should be a great next 10 years or so...

Boarder
5/30/2007, 10:27 PM
They just had a story on 5 about a possible IRL race in Bricktown. That would be neat.

Soonerus
5/30/2007, 10:30 PM
They just had a story on 5 about a possible IRL race in Bricktown. That would be neat.

missed that but it is like a new frontier there are so many things going on and trying to gain a foot-hold down there...

goingoneight
5/30/2007, 10:49 PM
I actually have called it Drunktown (not to be mistaken with Drunkytown, USA) ever since this New Yeerz party I have about thirty minutes of recollection from. :D

Drunktown is a blast though, especially if you live somewhere with no attractions worthy of mention like Broken Arrow. And I can say that, cuz I do live in tha BA.

yermom
5/30/2007, 10:51 PM
i have been impressed with Bricktown in the last couple of years

IRL? that's pretty cool...

if only we could get WRC ;)

Soonerus
5/30/2007, 10:57 PM
The residential development plans are pretty impressive...

tommieharris91
5/30/2007, 11:40 PM
I just hope the Sonics (with the #2 pick) replace the Hornets.

yermom
5/30/2007, 11:40 PM
it would be pretty sweet to live down there and walk to stuff

Jimminy Crimson
5/31/2007, 02:37 AM
Here's some renderings of what Bob Funk & Scott Pruitt (owners of the RedHawks) have in the works for the parking lot in front of the Coca-Cola Events Center... Only thing holding them up is the Mayor and city manager.

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/05/25/21/Img/Pc0211000.jpg

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/05/25/26/Img/Pc0260700.jpg

stoopified
5/31/2007, 08:57 AM
If they build there what do you do for parking?B-town parking is already limited and EXPENSIVE.

soonerbrat
5/31/2007, 09:09 AM
If they build there what do you do for parking?B-town parking is already limited and EXPENSIVE.

not for me. I get free parking :D

Taxman71
5/31/2007, 10:26 AM
Once I-35 is finally rerouted south of the river, lower bricktown and the area south of Reno will explode. If the Sonics come here, I see a riverside arena within 10 years.

Rhino
5/31/2007, 10:29 AM
Here's some renderings of what Bob Funk & Scott Pruitt (owners of the RedHawks) have in the works for the parking lot in front of the Coca-Cola Events Center... Only thing holding them up is the Mayor and city manager.

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/05/25/21/Img/Pc0211000.jpg

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/05/25/26/Img/Pc0260700.jpg Less parking is exactly what Bricktown needs.

SoonerInKCMO
5/31/2007, 10:57 AM

Compared to most downtowns/entertainment districts, it's plentiful and cheap. I've only paid for parking once in all the times I've visited there - and that was only because I had my parents with me and they don't like to walk that far. If you can walk a couple of blocks, you can almost always find a spot on the street or in a free lot.

OklahomaTuba
5/31/2007, 12:18 PM
Forget parking, what OKC (and Tulsa) should do is invest in trains. Just park at a station or walk to a station, get off at drunktown, and then stumble back home.

I am very proud of OKC. If only the drooling retards in Tulsa could've actually come up with a plan even close to what OKC did.

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 12:22 PM
Forget parking, what OKC (and Tulsa) should do is invest in trains. Just park at a station or walk to a station, get off at drunktown, and then stumble back home.

I am very proud of OKC. If only the drooling retards in Tulsa could've actually come up with a plan even close to what OKC did.

i agree about this. the new lightrail in Denver is incredible and revitalizes every area of town anywhere the rail. there's investment in quasi high rise housing (upscale, affordable whatever), restaurants etc.....

outside of patterned behavior and slavery to 3.20 per gallon gas ("freedom is an 8 lane highway") there's no reason it can't be done in OKC.

OklahomaTuba
5/31/2007, 12:31 PM
Towns smaller and equal to the size of OKC and Tulsa are doing it, and it does help bring people back to the core of a city. Also gets people outside, away from TV's, computers, and the rest of the urban grave yards we have built for ourselves here in the mid-west.

Mjcpr
5/31/2007, 12:33 PM
Glad to have you back, we've missed your rays of sunshine.

;)

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 12:36 PM
Towns smaller and equal to the size of OKC and Tulsa are doing it, and it does help bring people back to the core of a city. Also gets people outside, away from TV's, computers, and the rest of the urban grave yards we have built for ourselves here in the mid-west.

i completely agree. and not just for consumer options. you can get people to work that way and not have to build parking garages that scratch the stars......ahem, property value....

SoonerInKCMO
5/31/2007, 01:17 PM
Speaking of trains... anyone know of a good site(s) to do research on the effects of new light rail installations? Back in the '90s when I was living in Minneapolis, they were in the planning stages of their first light rail line and there was a lot of negative press about what an expensive boodoggle it was in other cities. I haven't seen a lot press (positive or negative) since moving away from there and I'm just curious as to how effective lines have been in various cities.

Taxman71
5/31/2007, 01:35 PM
Once a direct path to the Oklahoma River is created where one can walk or bike from Bricktown, it will be nice. Right now, you have to wind around or hike over train tracks. Eventually, it will be great.

Jimminy Crimson
5/31/2007, 02:24 PM

I forget the exact numbers, but there would be a 1200 space free garage built in with the development...

I agree, though. Bricktown needs less parking. You shouldn't be able to park right in front of where you are going.