usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 09:38 PM
Neil Young needs to remember a Southern man don't need him around

King Crimson
5/30/2007, 09:39 PM
anyhow....

King Crimson
5/30/2007, 09:40 PM
the first Skynard record ("pronounced") is an awesome masterpiece of rock music: they do everything. guitar rock, country blues, social criticism......arena rock. ****ing great.

swardboy
...sweet home Sapulpa!

ChickSoonerFan
Forever In Blue Jeans.

???

oh wait..that may be someone else.

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 09:45 PM
actually they say Van Zant was buried in a Neil Young T-Shirt.

Crimson_Balls
5/30/2007, 09:47 PM
Unknown Legend
Southern Man
Heart of Gold

Oh yeah!!!

http://www.verypink.com/Images/jingles/koolaidman.jpg

crawfish
5/30/2007, 09:50 PM
My favorite of his is "After the Gold Rush".

King Crimson
5/30/2007, 09:51 PM
actually they say Van Zant was buried in a Neil Young T-Shirt.

really?

OUAndy1807
5/30/2007, 09:52 PM
favorite of his songs: Powderfinger
favorite song he ever recorded: 4 Strong Winds
favorite live cut: Everybody knows this is nowhere from Live at the Fillmore East
As much recognition as he gets, I still feel Neil Young is massively underrated. To me, he is the absolute best ever.

King Crimson
5/30/2007, 09:53 PM
powder finger is a good one, no doubt.

"look out mama there's white boat comin' up the river...."

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 09:54 PM
really?

yeah I guess they became fans of each other.

King Crimson
5/30/2007, 09:59 PM
yeah I guess they became fans of each other.

sure, i knew that...to some degree. but buried is different.

like i said, that first Skynard record is really great. it's not trendy to say, but the list of rock records better than it is pretty small.

Soonerus
5/30/2007, 10:00 PM
Harvest Moon
One of these Days...

Boarder
5/30/2007, 10:02 PM
I absolutely positively can't stand Neil Young.

I remember the first time I saw him. It was on the Live Aid broadcast. I had heard of Neil young and knew he was a classic rock guy but didn't know much about him. Between two of the acts this pitiful looking dude wanders out with a harmonica and guitar and starts whining this song. I was like, "who on earth let that homeless guy out on the stage? And is he actually trying to sing?"

Later, I found out that it was Neil Young. i was totally surprised. Anyway, can't stand to listen to him. Can't stand any of the songs. Or his voice. Bob Dylan, either. I think they're by far the most overrated combo of all time.

But, hey. If you like them, by all means listen and enjoy. I'm sure there are many people who don't like everything I like.

Soonerus
5/30/2007, 10:05 PM
I love Neil Young...

OUAndy1807
5/30/2007, 10:09 PM
sure, i knew that...to some degree. but buried is different.

like i said, that first Skynard record is really great. it's not trendy to say, but the list of rock records better than it is pretty small.

I thought he was talking about Townes Van Zandt. What a dummy I am.

OUAndy1807
5/30/2007, 10:12 PM
I absolutely positively can't stand Neil Young.

I remember the first time I saw him. It was on the Live Aid broadcast. I had heard of Neil young and knew he was a classic rock guy but didn't know much about him. Between two of the acts this pitiful looking dude wanders out with a harmonica and guitar and starts whining this song. I was like, "who on earth let that homeless guy out on the stage? And is he actually trying to sing?"

Later, I found out that it was Neil Young. i was totally surprised. Anyway, can't stand to listen to him. Can't stand any of the songs. Or his voice. Bob Dylan, either. I think they're by far the most overrated combo of all time.

But, hey. If you like them, by all means listen and enjoy. I'm sure there are many people who don't like everything I like.
you should try listening to the lyrics. they can't all be power ballads;)

Boarder
5/30/2007, 10:18 PM
It's not so much the songs but the singers. The voices are just yucky. I don't have a problem with the songs themselves.

But really, it's totally fine with me if people like them. I'm tolerant. (can of worms opening up....hehe)

Kris Kristofferson is another one. How anyone can listen to his singing and think, "Oh yeah, that's good!" is beyond me.

King Crimson
5/30/2007, 10:20 PM
Kristofferson? where does he come in?

Soonerus
5/30/2007, 10:21 PM
Kristofferson? where does he come in?

No kidding...gggeeeeezzz...

Boarder
5/30/2007, 10:26 PM
You don't think that Kristofferson gets (or used to get anyway) a lot of play as a great singer/songwriter?

OUAndy1807
5/30/2007, 10:27 PM
I agree with the live and let live mentality, but I'm starting to think that we should all start negging Boarder if he keeps this up.

King Crimson
5/30/2007, 10:27 PM
You don't think that Kristofferson gets (or used to get anyway) a lot of play as a great singer/songwriter?

no play.

Soonerus
5/30/2007, 10:28 PM
...in...if....

Boarder
5/30/2007, 10:29 PM
no play.
Well, he did. So there.

royalfan5
5/30/2007, 10:31 PM
Well, he did. So there.
And he deserves every bit of it for writing Sunday Morning and Me and Bobby McGee.

King Crimson
5/30/2007, 10:35 PM
i mean real "play" not radio or mass "play".

great songwriter? if you want to dismiss it, you ought to name it first.

yermom
5/30/2007, 10:36 PM
i always liked The Needle and the Damage Done and Old Man

King Crimson
5/30/2007, 10:36 PM
and dismissing Neil Young or Bob Dylan in terms of Kristofferson......is not going to work. and if you like pretty sounding aesthetics as quality....good on ya.

Boarder
5/30/2007, 10:37 PM
I meant critical acclaim type of play. Not airplay

Boarder
5/30/2007, 10:38 PM
and dismissing Neil Young or Bob Dylan in terms of Kristofferson......is not going to work. and if you like pretty sounding aesthetics as quality....good on ya.
I'm talking about thier voices. I can't stand to hear them sing. Either one. They don't sound good to me and aren't pleasant to listen to.

VeeJay
5/30/2007, 10:40 PM
Southern Man
Cinnamon Girl
After The Gold Rush
Cripple Creek Ferry
Look Out For My Love (acoustic guitar masterpiece)
Downtown

Boarder
5/30/2007, 10:47 PM
You know, this is just the sort of thing I hate. When people start a thread and are having a good discussion about a subject and then someone comes in and is negative about it. I shouldn't have said anything.

Sorry about that.

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 10:54 PM
You know, this is just the sort of thing I hate. When people start a thread and are having a good discussion about a subject and then someone comes in and is negative about it. I shouldn't have said anything.

Sorry about that.

it's ok I didn't like hearing Neil Young or Bob Dylan, probably the worst voices in rock.

VeeJay
5/30/2007, 11:33 PM

Sorry about that.

That's OK. Next time the virtues of Steve Miller or Duncan McSheek (or something) are discussed, I'll throw up a pukey smiley.

We all have our musical preferences.

:pop:

def_lazer_fc
5/30/2007, 11:39 PM
it's ok I didn't like hearing Neil Young or Bob Dylan, probably the worst voices in rock.
i dunno, Daniel Johnston probably has the worst if we're comparing. tom waits has a pretty gnarly one too, but i still love em.

and helpless is probably my fave neil young song. and this is a bit off subject but did anyone ever see the dvd of one of his concerts where he's obviously tripping balls playing with comically oversized amps and little jawas running around? its awesome.

OUAndy1807
5/30/2007, 11:43 PM
i dunno, Daniel Johnston probably has the worst if we're comparing. tom waits has a pretty gnarly one too, but i still love em.

yeah, if you want to talk bad voices, I'll bet I could list 50 worse than Neil off the top of my head.

Like I said, they can't all be monster ballads.

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 11:44 PM

and helpless is probably my fave neil young song. and this is a bit off subject but did anyone ever see the dvd of one of his concerts where he's obviously tripping balls playing with comically oversized amps and little jawas running around? its awesome.

to be perfectly honest I quit listening to rock after they voted out hairbands

VeeJay
5/30/2007, 11:48 PM
That's one thing I like about NY - he can make fun of the excess of Grand Rock (Rust Never Sleeps), while continuing to make his own fortune.

The only difference between Neil Young and Jimmy Buffett is that Buffett doesn't make fun of himself.

I like that about U2 also.

I am thinking Elvis was onto it, too, but didn't realize it. :)

Suerreal
5/30/2007, 11:48 PM
Another vote for After the Gold Rush. Also Heart of Gold, and Harvest Moon, Out of the Blue (and Into the Black).

OUAndy1807
5/30/2007, 11:54 PM
and I'm changing my favorite NY original:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bZORK6nI8kg

this is the song that I've always said I wanted played at my funeral.

OUAndy1807
5/31/2007, 12:03 AM
also, I'm psyched about the archive project he's been putting together (he has HUGE amounts of archives and actually has had an archivist for a long, long time).
http://www.repriserecords.com/neilarchives/
set 1 is '63-'73, all previously unreleased material, 8 CD's, 2 dvd's.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=y6_LXPAl4SY

Suerreal
5/31/2007, 12:06 AM
FWIW, I can certainly agree with those saying that Neil Young wasn't gifted with a great voice.

But some songs don't need a great voice; many songs are all the more powerful when the flaws in the voice work with the lyrics to communicate emotion.

Neil's voice is quite effective for the (often dark) lyrics he writes. I really can't imagine Enrique Iglesias singing "The Needle and the Damage Done". OTH, Neil Young is terrific in a playlist, not so great to listen to continuously for 30 minutes...

Turd_Ferguson
5/31/2007, 12:19 AM
"Southern Man"
Great song...:mad:

Southern man
better keep your head
Don't forget
what your good book said
Southern change
gonna come at last
Now your crosses
are burning fast
Southern man

I saw cotton
and I saw black
Tall white mansions
and little shacks.
Southern man
when will you
pay them back?
I heard screamin'
and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?

Southern man
better keep your head
Don't forget
what your good book said
Southern change
gonna come at last
Now your crosses
are burning fast
Southern man

Lily Belle,
your hair is golden brown
I've seen your black man
comin' round
Swear by God
I'm gonna cut him down!
I heard screamin'
and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?

william_brasky
5/31/2007, 06:09 AM
"Effin' up" with Crazy Horse

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Grok0EXtX5k

Jeopardude
5/31/2007, 09:53 AM
Faves not mentioned:

1. Winterlong
2. Needle and the Damage Done
3. Sleeps With Angels

Did you see his movie Greendale? It was real home movie like, but the music is really good.

sooneron
5/31/2007, 10:30 AM
"Needle..." and "You and Me" and of course, "southern man"

Howzit
5/31/2007, 10:45 AM
needle and the damage done
old man :(

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/31/2007, 11:05 AM
I have a rough time picking a fave, but his best include:
Down By the River
Needle and Damage Done
After the Gold Rush
Sugar Mountain
Ohio
Cowgirl in the Sand

CUinNC
5/31/2007, 11:09 AM
Harvest Moon - used to smoke some herb late @ night & go to sleep to that song....:P

Viking Kitten
5/31/2007, 11:12 AM
I have a rough time picking a fave, but his best include:
Down By the River
Needle and Damage Done
After the Gold Rush
Sugar Mountain
Ohio
Cowgirl in the Sand

I like "Ohio" too, I wasn't sure if it counts since it's CSN&Y though...

And another vote for "Harvest Moon."

5/31/2007, 11:14 AM
I like "Ohio" too, I wasn't sure if it counts since it's CSN&Y though...

And another vote for "Harvest Moon."Somebody said it's okay to include "Ohio", but Ohio State prolly is gonna complain.

C&CDean
5/31/2007, 11:47 AM
Personally, I like Neil Young better as a part of CSN&Y than by himself.

Almost Cut my Hair would be my fave.

By himself, probably Needle and Cinnamon Girl. And his voice is bad, but Boarder bitching about that - yet digging up on all the screaming/screeching hard/acid boys makes me giggle. And there's a whole lot of grunge bands and post-grunge bands who've made brazillions copy-catting Neil Young's voice. Only louder. I hate NY's politics and need to make a "statement" but he can certainly stand tall on his body of work.

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 11:55 AM
Almost Cut my Hair would be my fave.

i don't think he sings "almost cut my hair"...though, the "gotta let my freak flag fly" line is classic.

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 12:03 PM
Somebody said it's okay to include "Ohio", but Ohio State prolly is gonna complain.

Kent State

C&CDean
5/31/2007, 02:21 PM
i don't think he sings "almost cut my hair"...though, the "gotta let my freak flag fly" line is classic.

No, I'm pretty sure Stephen Stills sings it, but I've seen CSN&Y perform it.

"and it increases my paranoia, like looking in the mirror and seeing a police car...."

Howzit
5/31/2007, 02:46 PM
I thought David Crosby sings Almost Cut My Hair...

C&CDean
5/31/2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah, could be. I'm too lazy to check for sure. I just know it ain't Neil or Graham Nash cause it ain't "almost cut my bloody hair, chaps."

OUAndy1807
5/31/2007, 03:42 PM
No, I'm pretty sure Stephen Stills sings it, but I've seen CSN&Y perform it.

"and it increases my paranoia, like looking in the mirror and seeing a police car...."

Did you go see CSN at the Zoo about 5 years ago. One of the most dissapointing concerts ever. I took my dad for father's day and we left at intermission.

CUinNC
5/31/2007, 05:45 PM
Harvest Moon.

Good Choice...as well as Beer (the capitalization is necessary):D

5/31/2007, 05:53 PM
Kent Statehaha. I was joking around, but it's no fun when one explains the joke.

picasso
5/31/2007, 08:15 PM
he's been kicked in the head by a mule a few too many times but

Heart of Gold is pure sweetness.

King Crimson
5/31/2007, 08:19 PM
he's been kicked in the head by a mule a few too many times but

Heart of Gold is pure sweetness.

figgers. he doesn't have any songs about 3 putting. :texan: :D

mikeelikee
5/31/2007, 08:46 PM
Asking me to pick my favorite Neil Young song is somewhat akin to asking me to pick my favorite Texass football victory. N/A.

Scott D
5/31/2007, 10:02 PM
Heart of Gold......when performed by Black Label Society :D :D :D

VeeJay
5/31/2007, 10:12 PM
Has any rap sampling been done with NY's work?

I'm thinking "Comes A Time" would do wonders for the career of Ludicris.

picasso
5/31/2007, 10:19 PM
figgers. he doesn't have any songs about 3 putting. :texan: :D
hmm ole Neil prolly thinks only rich white Republicans play golf.;)

okienole3
5/31/2007, 11:29 PM
Albuquerque

StoopTroup
6/1/2007, 01:22 AM
Homegrown's all right with me.
Homegrown is the way it should be.
Homegrown is a good thing.
Plant that bell and let it ring.

The sun comes up in the morning,
Shines that light around.
One day, without no warning,
Things start jumping up from the ground.

Well, homegrown's all right with me.
Homegrown is the way it should be.
Homegrown is a good thing.
Plant that bell and let it ring.

C&CDean
6/1/2007, 09:38 AM
Did you go see CSN at the Zoo about 5 years ago. One of the most dissapointing concerts ever. I took my dad for father's day and we left at intermission.

Nope. I saw them in Phoenix in about 1973. With Neil Young. They RMFO.

rd280z
6/1/2007, 12:11 PM
Cinnamon Girl

Soonerchaz
6/1/2007, 03:16 PM
Dang...tough crowd.

When I think favorite Neil Young...I tend to think more album-wise than song-wise. Zuma and Tonight's The Night are essential. Probably don't want to listen to the latter with a few razor blades laying about though.

As for songs...Barstool Blues...For the Turnstiles and Tonight's The Night are among my favs.

Overrated? Debatable...but it's easy to apply that label to just about any artist. However...it's difficult to understate his impact on rock 'n roll.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/1/2007, 03:46 PM
Hey Hey (Out of the Blue, Into the Black) is my favorite.

Also always loved Out on the Weekend.

Trans is a trippy album, if you can even find it anymore. Can't say I liked it that much, but if you are ever in the mood to hear Techno done Neil Young style....

BTW, if you are a fan and you don't own Arc/Weld.... well then you ain't a fan.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/1/2007, 03:55 PM
Oh, and I am probably the only one here who can say they've litterally run into him and stepped on his toes...

Happened back in Orlando, FL @ Church Street Station in about 1990-91, when he was in town for a show... I was walking backward joking around with a couple of buddies, and I don't think he was really watching where he was going either, and as I was backing up stepped right on one of his boots. Said, "I'm so sorry", and he just replied, "That's ok, no problem." I'm just glad I didn't get a good shove from the two rather large biker lookin' dudes that were with him. And he looked exactly like you would expect him to look, too... buckskin jacket with the long frills, crumpled cowboy hat, jeans, boots, and some huge long sideburns... it was kind of surreal.