PDA

View Full Version : Is it our time?

8timechamps
5/30/2007, 05:46 PM
I can still remember the hit Aikman took that would ultimately send him to UCLA like it was yesterday. I can still hear the old man sitting behind me say "Jay-meel Holiday" as he answered his wife when she said "whos playing quarterback for us now". And, I can still see Jimmy Johnson (helmet hair and all) being lifted onto the shoulders of his players after beating us (again) in the Orange Bowl for the national title.

I've lived with these images for years...

And now, our boys have the chance to create some new, more favorable images. But, I still get nervous when the words "Miami" and "OU" are mentioned in the same conversation.

Who can forget the 'Canes coming into Norman and disrespecting us at mid-field and seeing the Boz square up with Irvin?!

I don't care how far the Canes hace supposedly "fallen" since the late 80s, early 90s. They still worry me. With the exception of beatin texas, there is no team I would rather see us beat than Miami!

TheUnnamedSooner
5/30/2007, 05:51 PM
^^^^^^ Agreed! screw the 'canes. Memorial Stadium will be rockin that day!!!

yermom
5/30/2007, 05:57 PM
the only team i hate more than Texas is Miami

Rogue
5/30/2007, 07:29 PM
It's stressful just thinking about those green and orange wearing bastages coming to Norman.

reevie
5/30/2007, 07:54 PM
I consider this a revenge game.......20 years in the making!

goingoneight
5/30/2007, 07:59 PM
77-0

:D

utex74
5/30/2007, 10:36 PM
the only team i hate more than Texas is Miami

I know and understand the feeling! My son and I have been going around for what seems like months on who we can possibly be for or against in this game. I could never root for either team. (picture Texas vs Miami and you'll understand) Maybe we should just concentrate on our game with the Horned Toads that day. (They and CFN seem to think they are going to clean our clock.)

goingoneight
5/30/2007, 11:19 PM
I know and understand the feeling! My son and I have been going around for what seems like months on who we can possibly be for or against in this game. I could never root for either team. (picture Texas vs Miami and you'll understand) Maybe we should just concentrate on our game with the Horned Toads that day. (They and CFN seem to think they are going to clean our clock.)

Picture Texas and Miami??? Isn't that like a certain Rose Bowl we had over 1000 threads on here a fews years back?

yermom
5/30/2007, 11:22 PM
i had to root for Texas against USC, but man did that suck

oumartin
5/30/2007, 11:32 PM
Look at it like this. USC didn't win the NC and their winning streak was snapped but we all know that Texas didn't win that game either. What was the controversial play that allowed Texas to win?
I forget and really dont' care. I just know it is a tainted win.

yermom
5/30/2007, 11:36 PM
i wasn't as worried about the streak as i was about the "3-Pete" business that would have followed for years and years

Texass winning in 2005 has already basically blown over, we just need to make sure it doesn't happen again soon ;)

htownsooner7
5/31/2007, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately, Miami's defense has and continues to be loaded. This poses a big problem for a new qb. I am afraid that we will see the "don't let the qb lose this one for us today" strategy as we have seen many times in the last 2 years. A lot of pressure will be placed on the defense that day which should be fine because Miami's offense has sputtered as of late. Regardless, I see an ugly, low-scoring game that is an absolute must-win on our trip to a BCS bowl..

soonersweetie
5/31/2007, 01:18 PM
I have waited for this game since I saw Aikman get his leg broken. I was at OU during those years and there would be nothing sweeter than getting revenge on those guys.

I will be at this game screaming like a wild banshee!!

I would imagine College Gameday would be there. It is going to be such a big "revenge" type game. At least I'm hoping they are there.

47straight
5/31/2007, 02:25 PM
Agree with yermom, I hate miami worse than I hate texas. I at least know some texas fans who are worth using up our collective oxygen in the atmosphere.

CatfishSooner
6/1/2007, 12:42 AM
**** miami.

basel90
6/1/2007, 02:18 AM
I think stoops & co will have Bradford ready for this game. I have a feeling this willl be his breakout game and he will throw some bombs .
I think the pressure will be on OU and the first few minutes will be tense but we should be able to beat them by 10.
I enrolled at OU in 86 and kept hearing about the 85 game from my freinds .. and i still remember when we played them in 86 at the orange bowl ,, all norman streets were empty and everyone was hyped for revenge ,,, only to discover that the wishbone was again too one dimensional for a savvy coach like johnson .. who i think go the best out of switzer in the late eighties .. i can only imagine if we still had aikman we could have had a better chance of winnning .i firmly believe switzer's teams in the late eighties were ready to win the big 8 with our wishbone and I formation but not much chance winning it all against superior balanced teams nationally.
The 88 game also leaves very soar memories . I think defensively , Garry Gibbs did a great job and we held them to 20 points at the OB, but again our passing offese is non-existant , charles thompson ,,, please ,,,, how the hell did switzer think he could beat miami at the OB with this smurf...

I will be very excited to see OU win in norman .
I am traveling from the Middle East where i work to see this game .. a 17 hour flight folks.. still need to get 3 tickets .. . any ideas where i can get them in norman?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/1/2007, 02:45 AM
I don't care how far the Canes hace supposedly "fallen" since the late 80s, early 90s. They still worry me. With the exception of beatin texas, there is no team I would rather see us beat than Miami! I can think of only two-the other top teams that have scoreboard on us-suc, and especially domer.

fadada1
6/1/2007, 07:18 PM
texas v. miami???

i'm rooting for the asteroid to hit sometime around kickoff.

Since71ASooner4Life
6/2/2007, 08:06 AM
It's great to see everyone with animosity toward Miami. The personna that characterizes them today has roots which began to take hold when those scumbags showed the odacity to attack a symbol of our heritage in #44. They never did stop whining since we went to the 85 title game against PSU ... we need to destroy them and send'em home in glum silence. Like the mastercard "priceless" commercials, nothing is finer then seeing the TV cameras pan a bench full of gang bangers and convicts in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss.

Flagstaffsooner
6/2/2007, 08:36 AM
If our QB breaks a leg this time, remember the King's words, "Dance with the girl that brought ya." WISHBONE.;)

HTown77095
6/2/2007, 08:37 AM
I am looking forward to this game. I remember the 80s all too well. Miami was the first team that I officially hated.

HTown77095
6/2/2007, 08:39 AM
I dunno, the wishbone didn't seem to be all that effective against Miami back then...

Flagstaffsooner
6/2/2007, 08:49 AM
I dunno, the wishbone didn't seem to be all that effective against Miami back then...I was speaking of the final outcome of the '85 season. Gotta love those Vols in the Sugar Bowl.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/2/2007, 11:55 AM
I dunno, the wishbone didn't seem to be all that effective against Miami back then...When we didn't offer the threat of a forward pass, the defense overloads the run. In Switzer's offense with Charles Thompson, he wouldn't throw the ball. That Orange Bowl after the '87 season was an ugly thing to watch.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2007, 01:11 PM
nothing is finer then seeing the TV cameras pan a bench full of gang bangers and convicts in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss.Why do you hate Bri?

:D

Big Red Ron
6/2/2007, 01:15 PM
I am looking forward to this game. I remember the 80s all too well. Miami was the first team that I officially hated.Mine was Nebraska. I never understood my Dad's the hate for ut until the Big XII was formed. The texas game never ment much and we usually won in the 70's and 80's when I was just a lad.

85sooners
6/2/2007, 10:32 PM
fags