Frozen Sooner
5/30/2007, 11:45 AM
High-Tech Tattle-Tale Device Hits NYC Theaters
Regal Cinemas' Solution? Point, Click & Wait For Cavalry
Slideshow: Openly Gay Celebrities
Slideshow: N.J. - The Real 'Sopranoland'

Hazel Sanchez
Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK Has this happened to you? You go to a movie and someone is making too much noise, or the picture or audio goes bad.

So you have to leave the theater to report the problem and you miss part of the film. Well, that's all about to change with the click of a button.

Every moviegoer has his or her theater etiquette pet peeve.

Whether it is a cell phone ringing or a baby screaming, there's always something that has the potential ruin your movie going experience.

Regal cinemas say you can now silence those interruptions with the Regal Guest Response System -- a virtual remote control to mute that annoying patron who's ruining your silver screen sanity.

"I get enraged, and I often want to tell them to shut up," moviegoer M. David Levin told CBS 2 HD.

Digg This Story!

Theatre employees at Battery Park Stadium now handle that duty without patrons missing a second of film. A hand-held pager is given to a random member of the Regal Crown Club Loyalty Program who's attending each movie.

"If any situation does arise they can just press a button which goes directly to the pager which the manager will have and they'll signal it and they'll go right into the theater and handle the situation," theater manager Heather Dematteis said.

"This device can be used for more than just reporting loud patrons," Dematteis added. "It also can be used to report problems with the picture, sound and even piracy."

Some theater patrons love the idea, but others think it's overkill.

"I think it's a little bit too much," Alexander Sodon said. "I think people should just go to the movies and just watch the movie and not worry about pressing a button to solve their problems."

Regal Cinema says its never pinpoints the guest reporting the problems, and the successful program is now being used in 114 theaters across the country.

The Regal Guest Response System is being used in seven theaters in the New York area.

yermom
5/30/2007, 11:56 AM
this is great :)

crying kid in the movie and dumbass phone answerer, your days are numbered

the idea of someone in there to see the picture and sound problems is pretty cool too

MamaMia
5/30/2007, 12:01 PM
That would be a great idea as long as people don't push the button needlessly. Maybe just knowing that the button is there will make some otherwise noisy people behave respectfully.

Personally, I'll just stick to the tap on the shoulder accompanied by a brief but stern... "Shut the hell up, or leave" comment. :D

Tear Down This Wall
5/30/2007, 12:14 PM
...and even piracy.

Oh, brother.

Anyway, if they have those things in kids' movies, they'll never be able to show the film. I took my nephews to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie last month when it came out. Other than film noise, there was nothing but kids noise, from start to finish. But, it didn't bother me...I was voluntarily sitting in a theatre of kids watching a cartoon movie about talking turtles who dress up like ninjas, have super natural powers, and follow their leader - a ninja rat. So, what else coud be expected but kid noise?

yermom
5/30/2007, 12:19 PM
yeah, but then there are the idiots taking their young kids to see Sin City

Tear Down This Wall
5/30/2007, 12:24 PM
Good point. However, pagers do nothing for that.

For this sort of non-sense, we really do need to follow Singapore and have public canings:

Crimes which may result in caning
The list of crimes that may result in caning has increased steadily, as has the number of sentences handed out. In 1987, Singapore caned only 602 men and boys, but by 1993 the number had increased to 3244. Current figures are no longer published, but the total can safely be assumed to be higher yet as it is known that in 2004, 11,790 arrests were made for illegal immigration alone, a charge which carries a mandatory three-stroke minimum for males.

Repeat offenders: six to twelve strokes

Illegal entry into Singapore: At least three strokes
Unlawful overstay in Singapore for over ninety days: At least three strokes
Unlawful possession or conveyance of any arms or ammunition: At least six strokes
Offences relating to scheduled weapons: At least six strokes
Trafficking in arms: At least six strokes
Exhibiting imitation arms when committing scheduled offence: At least three strokes
Outrage of modesty
Sodomy or gross indecency between males
Rape: At least twelve strokes for male offenders
Carrying, etc., offensive weapons, explosive, corrosive or inflammable substances in a proclaimed area
Vandalism: three to eight strokes
Piracy (robbery committed at sea): At least twelve strokes
("Piracy" does not refer to copyright infringement)
Hijacking
Rioting
Attempt to murder
Voluntarily causing grievous hurt
Assault or use of criminal force to a person with intent to outrage modesty
Assault or criminal force in committing or attempting to commit theft of property carried by a person
Theft after preparation made for causing death or hurt in order to commit theft: At least three strokes
Extortion
Robbery: At least six strokes. If committed after 7 p.m. and before 7 a.m: At least twelve strokes
Robbery when armed or with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt: At least twelve strokes
Attempt to commit robbery: At least six strokes
Voluntarily causing hurt in committing robbery: At least twelve strokes
Gang-robbery: At least twelve strokes
Belonging to gang-robbers: At least six strokes
Dealing with explosives
Dealing with dangerous fireworks for subsequent offence: Up to six strokes
Using a corrosive or explosive substance or offensive weapon: At least six strokes

Exemptions from Caning
None of the following persons shall be sentenced to caning: (a) women; (b) males sentenced to death; (c) males whom the court considers to be more than 50 years of age.

crawfish
5/30/2007, 12:28 PM
*whew*. I thought frozen mike was gonna post this:

http://www.bikerfox.com/foxphotos3/images/DSCF3350.jpg

Tear Down This Wall
5/30/2007, 12:30 PM
Caning should be for punishment...that dude would welcome it as pleasure.

Frozen Sooner
5/30/2007, 12:58 PM
...and even piracy.

Oh, brother.

Anyway, if they have those things in kids' movies, they'll never be able to show the film. I took my nephews to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie last month when it came out. Other than film noise, there was nothing but kids noise, from start to finish. But, it didn't bother me...I was voluntarily sitting in a theatre of kids watching a cartoon movie about talking turtles who dress up like ninjas, have super natural powers, and follow their leader - a ninja rat. So, what else coud be expected but kid noise?

Obviously there is a difference in your expected film-going experience between Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and more adult fare.

Frozen Sooner
5/30/2007, 12:59 PM
*whew*. I thought frozen mike was gonna post this:

Interesting that this is your first thought when the word "behind" is mentioned.

C&CDean
5/30/2007, 01:15 PM
he's got a run in his stocking...

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 01:28 PM
Mike, you'd like to get behind openly gay celebrites?

what are you doing looking at openly gay celebrity slideshows. :D :D

StoopTroup
5/30/2007, 01:30 PM
Pink Floyd should sue him IMO...

Frozen Sooner
5/30/2007, 01:38 PM
Mike, you'd like to get behind openly gay celebrites?

what are you doing looking at openly gay celebrity slideshows. :D :D

Well, I can only imagine that being behind them is better than being in front of them...

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 01:41 PM
Well, I can only imagine that being behind them is better than being in front of them...

hahahahahahaha

that was funny.

Widescreen
5/30/2007, 02:48 PM
Slideshow: Openly Gay Celebrities

:eek:

crawfish
5/30/2007, 02:50 PM
Interesting that this is your first thought when the word "behind" is mentioned.

Only when you're the one posting it. :D

Harry Beanbag
5/30/2007, 04:59 PM
Pink Floyd should sue him IMO...

Is that whay you would call the dark side of the moon?

TopDawg
5/30/2007, 05:46 PM
...and even piracy.

You could have some fun with that at the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. The manager would be like "double-u, tee, eff?!"

GrapevineSooner
5/30/2007, 05:56 PM

No, I think the buzzword here was piracy.

reevie
5/30/2007, 06:44 PM
he's got a run in his stocking...

I'm concerned that you noticed. You're looking way to hard at this picture.

sooneron
5/30/2007, 06:55 PM
I'm concerned that you noticed. You're looking way to hard at this picture.
NO ****!:confused: