PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever lived in or been to the Bay Area?

ArkanSooner
5/29/2007, 11:41 PM
I got a summer job working for the National Youth Leadership Forum in Medicine in Berkeley, and I'm moving out there this weekend. I've got two free weeks in between sessions so I'll have some free time. Do any of y'all have suggestions on places I should (or should not) go to? Attractions, restaurants, natural sites, etc. Right now I've got a couple of basic things (Giants game, A's game, Alcatraz, Chinatown) but I'm still flexible. Just looking for some NoCal advice. Thanks guys!

StoopTroup
5/29/2007, 11:42 PM
Bubba Gumps

Soonerus
5/29/2007, 11:43 PM
Tadich Grill...

soonerbrat
2 words

Ghirardelli. Chocolate.
YWIA

ArkanSooner
Bubba Gumps
Been to the one in Daytona Beach, dang good stuff.

SoonerInDC
5/30/2007, 12:13 AM
Despite the name, I actually live in the Bay Area now. Things I have found enjoyable have been the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield (free tour, free beans), Muir Woods, Swensen's Ice Cream in the Russian Hill area of San Fran (there used to be one in Tulsa- the one here is the original), and the Napa/Sonoma valleys. Lots of stuff in San Fran is touristy and overrated, but you have to experience it to know that. I prefer the outdoor stuff, which is really excellent here. Mount Diablo and Mount Tamalpais are in the north part of the bay, and there are extensive parks and trails all around the bay.
Since I don't think there are too many Sooners out here, if you let me know what sort of thing you are interested in, I can look into it for you, if you like. For now, I'm going to bed.

Blue
5/30/2007, 12:17 AM
I lived in San Jose for a short time.

Spinnakers. Across the Golden Gate on the water in Sausilito.

The horse race track in San Mateo, Fishermans wharf.

Take a drive down to Carmel (Monterray Peninsula, Pebble Beach) Awesome area. I used to frequent a beachbar in Capitola. Another cool little town.

Hwy 1 scenic ride. Wine country. Half Moon Bay...what a great area.

tommieharris91
5/30/2007, 02:11 AM
Ummm... You could find some WEIRD people out there. I've been to Napa Valley once. I'm not going back. I never went to visit SF though.

Harry Beanbag
5/30/2007, 07:18 AM
Going north across the Golden Gate, take the first exit on the Marin Country side. It'll wind down under the bridge then go west up the cliffs called the Marin Headlands. The view of the city is gorgeous and there are some old coastal defense battery positions up there.

http://www.gatetrails.com/photos/slackerhill.jpg

Keep going further and you'll get to the Point Bonita lighthouse, which is cool.

http://www.small.images.californiacoastline.org/images/2004/small/200400278.JPG

AggieTool
5/30/2007, 07:26 AM
The Bay Area is fer teh gays.:D

Hamhock
5/30/2007, 10:20 AM
I spent a lot of time at Sequoyah Bay and Wahoo Bay.

I preferred Wahoo, 'cause you could see the park ranger coming from far away. Good times...

YWIA

Howzit
5/30/2007, 10:23 AM
Hwy 1 scenic drive is an excellent suggestion, particularly 17 mile drive if you have access to a car.

Also, the Redwoods are a must see.

The Wharf.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/30/2007, 10:38 AM
I went to San Diego when I was a kid.

They sold wine in Long John Silver's.

And the homeless people were funny.

IronSooner
5/30/2007, 10:40 AM
In-N-Out Burger!

Get some authentic SF Sourdough at Bourdin's next to Fisherman's Wharf. You can watch them make it and talk to the bakers while they work.

Check out the street performers around the Fisherman's Wharf area...there are a couple "robot" guys and at least a few months ago the Tree Man was still there. Funny people watching.

The Jelly Belly Factory tour is fun, and you get free beans, and can buy tons more cheap after the tour. Fairfield is just east of Napa/Sonoma, so you can really do both in the same day if you plan it right. Most of the tastings in N/S end around 5pm, but one or two stay open till 6.

For Alcatraz - you'll need to book tickets probably a week in advance, no kidding. Especiallly during summer.

Muir Woods is beautiful, as is a lot of the area on the NW side of the bay. Point Reyes is another cool spot to go see - lighthouse overlooking the Pacific. You can also see whales in I think the fall months.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/30/2007, 10:44 AM
You can also see whales in I think the fall months.

Bah. You can see whales year round.

http://www.septica.com/FatChick.jpg

RedStripe
5/30/2007, 10:44 AM
Tadich Grill...

Get the cioppino it is teh goods.

Skates on the Bay in Berkley is really good too and the view of SF is awesome.

soonersis
5/30/2007, 01:14 PM
Original Joe's and Hanbana Cuba in San Jose...yum!

Jeopardude
5/30/2007, 01:14 PM
Burrito joints are the best cheap eats around SF. My friend took me to one in the Tenderloin that he called "El Knife-o Fight-o" that was awesome.

Also Cambodian restaurants are good cheap food.

KC//CRIMSON
5/30/2007, 01:38 PM
North Bay: Just walk around:cool:

Lands End: Preview: Besides a good, but not exhausting workout, this walk offers cliffside views of the Pacific, a magnificent museum, and one of San Francisco’s best-kept secrets—magical Sutro Heights Park. It should also allay any doubts you might harbor about the importance of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area to San Francisco’s quality of life. Starting just uphill from the fabled Cliff House and the ruins of Sutro Baths, the walk leads you along the Coastal Trail. This clearly defined pathway provides both broad vistas and intimate glimpses of passing freighters, the remnants of shipwrecks, and the ever-enticing ocean. Because the cliffsides can be unstable, stay on the trail at all times and keep a close eye on the children in your party. Special attractions: Natural landscapes, ocean and city views, museum, monuments, historic park. :cool:

Stinking Rose: http://www.thestinkingrose.com/:cool:

StoopTroup
5/30/2007, 02:12 PM
If you suddenly feel the need to march in a parade while there...

Please don't wear any Sooner gear...

Something Whornish would be way more appropriate.

TexasLidig8r
5/30/2007, 03:12 PM
Calistoga.. mud baths....