PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mexicans....

KABOOKIE
5/29/2007, 08:27 AM
How about a nice cup of STFU?

Miss USA Rachel Smith, who slipped and fell to the floor during the evening gown competition and was jeered by the Mexican audience during the interview phase, was the contest's fourth runner-up.

LoyalFan
5/29/2007, 08:38 AM

Yeah! So we can concentrate on putting Crocs and antipersonnel mines in the Rio Grande!
Way to go, K'Bookie! Sombreros off to you!

LoyalFan
Fed up in San Antonio (New Capitol Of The Third World)

Okieflyer
5/29/2007, 09:03 AM

But I have to say it is the nicest city in Mexico. After spending 3 years in the largest city in Cuba, Miami, I feel your pain.;)

sooner_born_1960
5/29/2007, 09:09 AM
well, to be fair, some of us would probably heckle an entertainer who fell down earlier in a show.

Petro-Sooner
5/29/2007, 09:31 AM
She was jeered cause she is an American. Thats the thanks the US gets for letting the 20 million messicans into this country. Built the wall!!!!!!

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 10:34 AM

Dear employers that hire Mexicans....

Ditto.:mad:

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 10:39 AM
Yeah! So we can concentrate on putting Crocs and antipersonnel mines in the Rio Grande!
Way to go, K'Bookie! Sombreros off to you!

LoyalFan

Mexicans in a town called San Antonio?:confused:

Sheet, next there will be Germans in Fredricksburg.:)

Kinda reminds me of that old scene from Casablanca...."What? theres gambling going on here?" (or something to that effect.)

BU BEAR
5/29/2007, 10:53 AM
Is assimilation a problem for Fredricksburg's Germans?

usmc-sooner
5/29/2007, 10:54 AM
the Germans have a longer swim to get here.

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 10:57 AM
Is assimilation a problem for Fredricksburg's Germans?

YES!

Those damned lederhosen and beer halls have to go!:mad:

This is uggh 'merica dang it!.:O
:D :D

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 10:57 AM

By swim...do you mean march?:confused:

usmc-sooner
5/29/2007, 11:01 AM
I guess if you can march across an ocean

MamaMia
5/29/2007, 12:05 PM

Ditto.:mad:I hire Mexicans to help me at home and at the clinic from time to time, but they're legal. I do confess however that I didn't even check until it became such an issue here in America. I honestly just assumed they at least had a green card. The three I hire from time to time are American citizens.

My problem is not with Mexicans. Many attend my church and they do a lot for the catholic community. One of my dearest friends is a Mexican who married an army soldier back in the 70's. She owns a vitamin shop. My problem is with illegals. Its not about race. Its about security.

Also, its rude for anyone to laugh when someones falls. I've never been able to see the humor in it.

Widescreen
5/29/2007, 12:08 PM
I was watching when the booing started. Our girl was getting ready to answer her question and the audience started yelling at her. Typical class and I'm sure it wasn't unexpected.

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 12:11 PM
I hire Mexicans to help me at home and at the clinic from time to time, but they're legal. I do confess however that I didn't even check until it became such an issue here in America. I honestly just assumed they at least had a green card. The three I hire from time to time are American citizens.

My problem is not with Mexicans. Many attend my church and they do a lot for the catholic community. One of my dearest friends is a Mexican who married an army soldier back in the 70's. She owns a vitamin shop. My problem is with illegals. Its not about race. Its about security.

Also, its rude for anyone to laugh when someones falls. I've never been able to see the humor in it.

Agreed. But "Mexican" is not a race. It implies people who's
citizenship is in Mexico.:)

toast
5/29/2007, 01:20 PM
She was jeered cause she is an American. Thats the thanks the US gets for letting the 20 million messicans into this country. Built the wall!!!!!!

to be fair, the 20 million in the US were cheering, the one's booing couldn't figure out how to fit into the mini-van.

Turd_Ferguson
5/29/2007, 01:24 PM
the one's booing couldn't figure out how to fit into the mini-van.
Then they must've been asian or something, cause I've seen messicans fit 20 people into a ford exploder.

MamaMia
5/29/2007, 01:50 PM
citizenship is in Mexico.:) If not "Mexican" then what would one call people from Mexico not wanting to confuse them from the Spanish? You certainly couldn't use the term, Hispanic.

StoopTroup
5/29/2007, 02:11 PM
I thought they were booing Mario Lopez.

r5TPsooner
5/29/2007, 03:06 PM

Ditto.:mad:

Dear companies that support and/or cater to illegals... DITTO!

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 03:11 PM
Dear companies that support and/or cater to illegals... DITTO!

Agreed.:)

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 03:14 PM
If not "Mexican" then what would one call people from Mexico not wanting to confuse them from the Spanish? You certainly couldn't use the term, Hispanic.

Kinda circular really.

"Mexican" is a citizen of Mexico that may or may not be here legally. Regardless if they're Hispanic or Anglo.

When you say you hire "Mexicans", do you mean those here from Mexico with work visas? If that's the case, then yer ok.:)

Soonerus
5/29/2007, 03:29 PM
I watched towards the end and the crowd was rowdy, I thought they must be serving alchohol because the behavior was totally inappropriate...

BigRedJed
5/29/2007, 03:37 PM
If not "Mexican" then what would one call people from Mexico not wanting to confuse them from the Spanish? You certainly couldn't use the term, Hispanic.
No, "Hispanic" typically means a person of Latin American descent. Mexican, Puerto Rican, Costa Rican, Agentinian, whatever. "Latino" would also suffice. Someone from Spain is typically "Spanish." "Mexican" only properly refers to someone from the country called "Mexico." If you're from Ecuador, for instance, being called Mexican would probably be offensive. Quite a few people who live in Oklahoma and are often called "Mexicans" in a derogatory manner, are actually from Guatemala, or other countries. We have quite a few Guatemalans here. If you're from Mexico, you probably aren't offended to be called Mexican, unless again it's used in an intentionally derogatory manner.

I think a lot of us would be offended if everyone insisted on calling us Canadians, just because we're anglos from North America. Canadians who are proud of their Canuck heritage would probably just as soon not be lumped in with other "Americans." Of course, an argument could be made that Canadians and peoples from Central and South America could accurately be described as "Americans." However, since universally the world seems to accept that people from the U.S.A. are the ones known as Americans, we should probably be the only ones commonly called that.

Heck, a lot of us would be ****ed to be called "Texans," or "Kansans," just because people assume we're from there and don't know much about our state.

Anyway, to sum up: "Hispanic" or "Latino" is probably the best thing to call someone from south of the border unless you know their specific country of origin.

As for illegals, they're best referred to as what they are, illegals. Being Mexican/Hispanic and being illegal are two entirely different things.

Mjcpr
5/29/2007, 03:43 PM
So is Beaner still frowned upon?

IB4OU2
5/29/2007, 03:46 PM

Not if someone's really congested...

BigRedJed
5/29/2007, 04:06 PM
Well, other than a few posters who think that he has it out for them, I think most people like him. I haven't really given it much thought, however.

LoyalFan
5/29/2007, 04:41 PM

JA!, It VASS eine lange schwim!
BUDT, unlike das braun kockroschen, ven ve got to shore, ve schpiffed up und marched into town in an orderly fascist...Oooomm...faschion! Since it vas nacht-time (Ve got a late schtardt,) we carried torches so ve nicht got losten.

Leni Reifenstahl effen filmed the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b28sCcfZpV0&mode=related&search=

Now, vitch vun you vant? Scruffische mechsikaner, or nice tidy Cherman boys?

Danke, and now do exactly as I tell you!

LoyalFan AKA "Prussia's Raging Glory"
PanzerOffizier, Emeritus

Taxman71
5/29/2007, 05:11 PM

Kelvin, is that you?:D

Sincerely,
"Texas $ucks" yell leader

Taxman71
5/29/2007, 05:14 PM
No, "Hispanic" typically means a person of Latin American descent. Mexican, Puerto Rican, Costa Rican, Agentinian, whatever. "Latino" would also suffice. Someone from Spain is typically "Spanish." "Mexican" only properly refers to someone from the country called "Mexico." If you're from Ecuador, for instance, being called Mexican would probably be offensive. Quite a few people who live in Oklahoma and are often called "Mexicans" in a derogatory manner, are actually from Guatemala, or other countries. We have quite a few Guatemalans here. If you're from Mexico, you probably aren't offended to be called Mexican, unless again it's used in an intentionally derogatory manner.

I think a lot of us would be offended if everyone insisted on calling us Canadians, just because we're anglos from North America. Canadians who are proud of their Canuck heritage would probably just as soon not be lumped in with other "Americans." Of course, an argument could be made that Canadians and peoples from Central and South America could accurately be described as "Americans." However, since universally the world seems to accept that people from the U.S.A. are the ones known as Americans, we should probably be the only ones commonly called that.

Heck, a lot of us would be ****ed to be called "Texans," or "Kansans," just because people assume we're from there and don't know much about our state.

Anyway, to sum up: "Hispanic" or "Latino" is probably the best thing to call someone from south of the border unless you know their specific country of origin.

As for illegals, they're best referred to as what they are, illegals. Being Mexican/Hispanic and being illegal are two entirely different things.

Good points, but since Mexico is the only hispanic nation that borders the US and, therefore, offers a point of entry, one can use the term "Mexican" in this context and assume they acquired temporarily "Mexican" status before crossing over illegally.

Of course, I am unaware if any illegals fly hear via Champion Air from Cancun.

BigRedJed
5/29/2007, 05:15 PM
Does that mean that if they travel on to Canada they should be called Americans?

BigRedJed
5/29/2007, 05:16 PM
Or Canadians who travel through the U.S. to go to Mexico are Americans?

Taxman71
5/29/2007, 05:24 PM
After many trips to Mexico, my experience is that all gringos are referred to as "Americanos" if they speak English.

BigRedJed
5/29/2007, 05:24 PM
Or when I flew through Grand Cayman to go to Jamaica, did I become Cayman-ian, or whatever you're called when you're from Grand Cayman?

usmc-sooner
5/29/2007, 05:44 PM
hell if you switch airplanes in Dallas you're a Texan

soonerboomer93
5/29/2007, 06:10 PM
citizenship is in Mexico.:)

actually, to be fair, whitey's use it to refer to people of hispanic origin, whether from mexico or another country

soonerboomer93
5/29/2007, 06:12 PM

not at all, cracka...

Jerk
5/29/2007, 06:18 PM
people who say we can't keep em out are morons. I'm not arguing that we should or shouldn't, I'm just saying it could be done if we wanted to. You get enough landmines, constantine wire, alsatians, and machine gun bunkers, and you can keep people from crossing a d*mned border.

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 06:18 PM
actually, to be fair, whitey's use it to refer to people of hispanic origin, whether from mexico or another country

Only the ignorant ones then.:confused:

The most common form of epithet I hear is "Beaner", or "Mescins". But I've never heard of someone referring to a Puerto Rican as a "Mexican".

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 06:19 PM
people who say we can't keep em out are morons. I'm not arguing that we should or shouldn't, I'm just saying it could be done if we wanted to. You get enough landmines, constantine wire, alsatians, and machine gun bunkers, and you can keep people from crossing a d*mned border.

How about we just quit hiring them? And buying the products they produce?

royalfan5
5/29/2007, 06:26 PM
How about we just quit hiring them? And buying the products they produce?
as long as you are okay with reaching a lower indifference curve in that situation.

birddog
5/29/2007, 06:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7G4zsWi-cL8

man, that sucks.

AggieTool
5/29/2007, 06:40 PM
as long as you are okay with reaching a lower indifference curve in that situation.

Ahhhh...macro/micro economics 101. My point exactly.:)

Most advocating the immediate deportation of all illegals would be the first to cry about a $15 head of lettuce.
True dat!

Whatever the solution (and there needs to be one), the cost of goods not born from cheap labor must be considered.

I think there is a solution somewhere around enforcing labor laws and issuing work permits WHILE securing the border.

Okla-homey
5/29/2007, 06:46 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7G4zsWi-cL8

man, that sucks.

She recovered nicely.

Interesting connection. That girl and my daughter were friends when they were freshmen and sophomores together at Clarksville Academy in Clarksville, TN.

royalfan5
5/29/2007, 06:51 PM
Ahhhh...macro/micro economics 101. My point exactly.:)

Most advocating the immediate deportation of all illegals would be the first to cry about a $15 head of lettuce.
True dat!

Whatever the solution (and there needs to be one), the cost of goods not born from cheap labor must be considered.

I think there is a solution somewhere around enforcing labor laws and issuing work permits WHILE securing the border.
I agree. People need to realize the role that the flow of trade and labor has in our present prosperity.

MamaMia
5/29/2007, 07:42 PM
:confused: I'm very confused.

All I know for sure is that I'm an Italian American Roman Catholic Oklahoman. :P

AlbqSooner
5/29/2007, 07:55 PM
Here in New Mexico, many Mexicans will tell you that they are not Hispanic, they are Mexican. Hispanic is a derogatory term to many Mexicans.

Also, I can't keep quiet any longer. Mexicans are North Americans. So are Guatemalans, and all the others down to Panama. There are two continents in this region of the world. One is South America which extends south from the southern border of Panama to - well to the southern tip of South America. The other is North America which extends north from the southern border of Panama to the Arctic regions of Canada and Alaska. Capice?

goingoneight
5/29/2007, 10:41 PM
Cool, they're North Americans... we still have a problem. I don't understand the sympathy for someone titled "illegal." When you hear about meth lab busts, do you worry about how they're going to get by? When someone gets beat up for trying to steal something, do you worry about their feelings? If we're going to be sympathetic to every sad story and every family who is roughing it out there, let's just open our doors and let everyone in, no exceptions and see where America is in a decade. If people want to live in America, and want to 'live free' as we do, have them go through the ropes of becoming a citizen the honest way.

And before someone tells me that my ancestors were "immigrants," I'll remind you that my father, both of my grandparents, and my great-grandfather, and probably a helluva lot more contributed to this country by their service to its military and their family deserves to be called Americans or United States citizens, whatever they choose. They would/will all tell you just that. Now when Jose brings his pregnant wife into America and has one child... yes that child was "born in America" and as much as people like or don't like it, that child is a U.S. citizen. Just my .02, I could ramble on... but I won't.

BigRedJed
5/29/2007, 10:44 PM
Here in New Mexico, many Mexicans will tell you that they are not Hispanic, they are Mexican. Hispanic is a derogatory term to many Mexicans.

Also, I can't keep quiet any longer. Mexicans are North Americans. So are Guatemalans, and all the others down to Panama. There are two continents in this region of the world. One is South America which extends south from the southern border of Panama to - well to the southern tip of South America. The other is North America which extends north from the southern border of Panama to the Arctic regions of Canada and Alaska. Capice?
OK, so I assume that bit of venom was directed at me. Well, please re-read my posts. I never referred to Central America as a continent. Please don't tell me that you deny the very existence of Central America. "Central America" refers to a region, which allows one to identify that portion of North America just as you would when describing Romanians, for instance, as "Eastern European," or as being from Eastern Europe. It helps clarify and set them apart from Belgians or the French.

I described Americans (from the U.S.of A.) as being "anglos from North America." It's an accurate description. There are also Anglos from other continents, hence the qualifier. It's also accurate to describe people from Latin American countries as being from Central and South America, as I did in my posts. I never denied that Mexicans (or Guatemalans, or Panamanians, or Hondurans, or Nicaraguans, or Costa Ricans...) are North Americans. So save your outrage.

As for what people of Mexican derivation in New Mexico think of being called Hispanic, I don't really care in this context. Them being upset at being called Hispanic is like me being upset at being called Caucasian, or Anglo. It doesn't change the fact that I am those things. They're not derogatory, just descriptive. Me referring to that person as "Mexican" would require that I know their family originated in Mexico. If I know that, I'm happy to call them Mexican, which at that point is quite accurate, and certainly not derogatory. My dad's second wife was third-generation Mexican-American. She and her family were quite happy to be known as Mexican. They were also Hispanics. Sorry, but they were.

They were most certanily NOT Guatemalans. So why would I call them such? Just as I would not want to refer to a Guatemalan as a Mexican. Doing so would only display ignorance on my part. At the very least, an ignorance of where they came from. It's pretty simple, really. Capice?

Blue
5/29/2007, 11:05 PM
Mexicans (or Guatemalans, or Panamanians, or Hondurans, or Nicaraguans, or Costa Ricans...) are North Americans. So save your outrage.

You forgot El Salvadorians! :mad:

Racist.

StoopTroup
5/29/2007, 11:26 PM
I think we should use illegals to build the wall.

goingoneight
... and Dirka-dirkastanians... :mad:

Soonerus
poor Miss USA...

BigRedJed
5/29/2007, 11:43 PM
You forgot El Salvadorians! :mad:

Racist.
Actually, the points of ellipsis in that sentence inferred that I was leaving someone out. I didn't FORGET El Salvadorans, I just didn't feel a need to list every single country in Central America.

usmc-sooner
5/29/2007, 11:45 PM
Actually, the points of ellipsis in that sentence inferred that I was leaving someone out. I didn't FORGET El Salvadorans, I just didn't feel a need to list every single country in Central America.

seriously who gives a ****

BigRedJed
5/29/2007, 11:46 PM
Gives a **** about what?

IronSooner
5/29/2007, 11:46 PM

To lay the bricks and mortar, or as the bricks and mortar?

SleestakSooner
5/29/2007, 11:53 PM

If you enjoy getting a rise out of our neighbors to the north try telling them they are Americans too when traveling abroad. They will argue til blue in the face and start waving their little maple leaf branded backpacks around furiously. It is a fun way to pass the time. >;-)

Vaevictis
5/30/2007, 12:09 AM
Heh.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/national_language.jpg

(Just because it's amusing. :) )

BigRedJed
5/30/2007, 12:24 AM
You know what, USMC? I give a ****. Giving a **** about the difference between a Mexican and a Peruvian has dick to do with my own or anybody else's stance on immigration. Me, personally, I take a pretty dim view of illegal entry to our country. My blood boils when I see immigrants (especially illegals) burning an American flag, or otherwise disrespecting the country that offers them so much.

But that doesn't change the fact that I'm embarrased that half of Americans can't tell you the difference between Sweden and Switzerland. Can't find Baghdad on a map. I'm embarrassed that people in this country know more about Paris Hilton than they know about Paris, France. I'm stunned and amazed that people can't grasp why someone from Guatemala might not appreciate being called "Mexican." Not every non-anglo in the U.S. is here illegally, and treating them all as if they are, or not giving a **** about whether or not they appreciate being confused with someone who might have little in common with them other than language and brown skin, is offensive, IMO.

While I'm at it, I'm embarrassed at what passes for grammar for some people. People who take a high and mighty tone when lecturing others on American foreign policy and government-mandated official language should probably have some basic grasp of the English language they're (their? there?) touting, but often they don't. It's both funny and sad at the same time.

I'm embarrassed that students in the U.S. rank far below their counterparts in math and science.

The U.S. is the greatest country in the world. I believe that with all my heart. But the way for us to remain the greatest country in the world is to try at every opportunity to be the smartest country in the world. Instead, I'm afraid, we are becoming the laziest country. And not knowing or caring about the difference between a Mexican and an Ecuadoran is, IMO, lazy. If nothing else, it's intellectually lazy. I see a lot of intellectual laziness these days. Some of it on this board. And yeah, it bugs me.

So yes, I guess you can say I give a ****.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/30/2007, 01:34 AM
Heh.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/national_language.jpg

(Just because it's amusing. :) )Funny, in a PC and/or naive about history sort of way.

Shamrock
5/30/2007, 02:44 AM

Just make sure they're on the South side of the wall when the last brick is mortored.

goingoneight
5/30/2007, 03:48 AM
Like Carlos Mencia says... it's pretty simple. You want a wall constructed, but you're kicking out your construction crew.

:les: NO ILLEGALS = NO BURRITOS... YOU BETTAR THINK TWICE AMERICA!!!

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 08:54 AM
You know what, USMC? I give a ****. Giving a **** about the difference between a Mexican and a Peruvian has dick to do with my own or anybody else's stance on immigration. Me, personally, I take a pretty dim view of illegal entry to our country. My blood boils when I see immigrants (especially illegals) burning an American flag, or otherwise disrespecting the country that offers them so much.

But that doesn't change the fact that I'm embarrased that half of Americans can't tell you the difference between Sweden and Switzerland. Can't find Baghdad on a map. I'm embarrassed that people in this country know more about Paris Hilton than they know about Paris, France. I'm stunned and amazed that people can't grasp why someone from Guatemala might not appreciate being called "Mexican." Not every non-anglo in the U.S. is here illegally, and treating them all as if they are, or not giving a **** about whether or not they appreciate being confused with someone who might have little in common with them other than language and brown skin, is offensive, IMO.

While I'm at it, I'm embarrassed at what passes for grammar for some people. People who take a high and mighty tone when lecturing others on American foreign policy and government-mandated official language should probably have some basic grasp of the English language they're (their? there?) touting, but often they don't. It's both funny and sad at the same time.

I'm embarrassed that students in the U.S. rank far below their counterparts in math and science.

The U.S. is the greatest country in the world. I believe that with all my heart. But the way for us to remain the greatest country in the world is to try at every opportunity to be the smartest country in the world. Instead, I'm afraid, we are becoming the laziest country. And not knowing or caring about the difference between a Mexican and an Ecuadoran is, IMO, lazy. If nothing else, it's intellectually lazy. I see a lot of intellectual laziness these days. Some of it on this board. And yeah, it bugs me.

So yes, I guess you can say I give a ****.

good for you

you can be the official American proofreader, and we elect you to stand on the boarder and point out if the brown skinned guy coming across is Ecuadoran or Mexican. As it means so much to me and is a constant source of embarrassment for you. :D

BigRedJed
5/30/2007, 09:12 AM
What does Boarder have to do with any of this?

stoopified
5/30/2007, 09:14 AM
ROTFLMAO :D

stoopified
5/30/2007, 09:46 AM
Jose brings his pregnant wife into America and has one child... yes that child was "born in America" and as much as people like or don't like it, that child is a U.S. citizen. Just my .02, I could ramble on... but I won't.[/QUOTE]
I agree with everything you said up to the quote above.While under current law it is true,the giving automatic citizenship to children of illegals is a travesty,an affront to ALL legal aliens.IMHO all illegals and their offspring should be deported.(I understand that you did not say you agreed with the law). iN ANY CASE i THINK WE HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH LEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY TO DIG DITCHES,PICK FRUIT,AND DO ALL THE OTHER JOBS THAT AMERICANS SUPPOSEDLY WON'T DO.

royalfan5
5/30/2007, 10:07 AM
I think what everyone is missing in this thread is that the Dutch are a bunch of ***********.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/30/2007, 10:10 AM
I agree. People need to realize the role that the flow of trade and labor has in our present prosperity.And the legislature needs to realize the immigration laws presently on the books need to be enforced.

royalfan5
5/30/2007, 10:12 AM
And the legislature needs to realize the immigration laws presently on the books need to be enforced.
That's going be pretty expensive. How about the Government just sends everyone in the Southwest a copy of Rosetta Stone software for Spanish.

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 10:18 AM
What does Boarder have to do with any of this?

nothing, if there's one guy on this board who can look at a guy and tell if he's Guatamalen or Mexican it's him.

all I am saying if we keep excepting illegals this will no longer be are country, it will be they'res.

Petro-Sooner
5/30/2007, 10:31 AM
I'm a citizen of earth. I want to be called an earthian. My feelings will be hurt and I will get my panties in a bunch if I'm not called an earthian.

I've heard this option in the past that I liked. mesicans say we need them to do the cheap labor. If not we will have $10 lettuce. Why not have all those lazys on welfare do that work? They dont get a check unless they work for it.

MamaMia
5/30/2007, 10:40 AM
I would like to apologize ahead of time for not being American enough to know all the ins and outs about the Hispanic people. In my defense I partially blame the University of Oklahoma for allowing me to walk out the door without that knowledge underneath my mortarboard.

royalfan5
5/30/2007, 10:42 AM
I'm a citizen of earth. I want to be called an earthian. My feelings will be hurt and I will get my panties in a bunch if I'm not called an earthian.

I've heard this option in the past that I liked. mesicans say we need them to do the cheap labor. If not we will have $10 lettuce. Why not have all those lazys on welfare do that work? They dont get a check unless they work for it.
Because the lettuce farmers don't want lazy workers.

BigRedJed
5/30/2007, 10:46 AM
I would like to apologize ahead of time for not being American enough to know all the ins and outs about the Hispanic people. In my defense I partially blame the University of Oklahoma for allowing me to walk out the door without that knowledge underneath my mortarboard.
Well, in all fairness I would probably blame your junior high or high school geography teacher for not making it more clear to you that there was more than one country in the western hemisphere where people speak Spanish.

Petro-Sooner
5/30/2007, 10:46 AM
Fear of not getting a government check would change my lazy ways. But thats just me.

royalfan5
5/30/2007, 10:49 AM
Fear of not getting a government check would change my lazy ways. But thats just me.
Maybe. but I don't think forcing business owners to hire certain people is very emblematic of the American way. Shouldn't business owners get to hire the best workers for the job, instead having to deal with some quasi-socialist make work program?

Petro-Sooner
5/30/2007, 10:53 AM
true

MamaMia
5/30/2007, 11:04 AM
Well, in all fairness I would probably blame your junior high or high school geography teacher for not making it more clear to you that there was more than one country in the western hemisphere where people speak Spanish. Don't you mean a form of the Spanish language; and yes, my junior high geography teacher did teach me that actually. I seriously doubt that any high school taught their students all of the ins and outs, which is what I said. My gracious, there were not near enough hours in the day to learn everything about our own country, the United States of America, more less everyones else's. :)

Tulsa_Fireman
5/30/2007, 11:19 AM

Hey, I get a guv'ment check, dammit!

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 11:20 AM
Well, in all fairness I would probably blame your junior high or high school geography teacher for not making it more clear to you that there was more than one country in the western hemisphere where people speak Spanish.

we didn't have your Jr. High Teachers who could look at a dark skinned person and decipher his country of origin.

Maybe it's the racist rural society that I grew up in but we were only taught to decipher white people's country of origin. :D

Petro-Sooner
5/30/2007, 11:24 AM
Hey, I get a guv'ment check, dammit!

I was refering to those collecting checks on welfare.

C&CDean
5/30/2007, 11:26 AM
I grew up in Tucson. We had lots of Mexicans. When I went into the Army, there were lots of Puerto Ricans, and a few Panamanians and Phillipinos, who also speak spanish. I always thought people who called PR's and Phillipinos "mexicans" were just dumb.

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 11:28 AM
I grew up in Tucson. We had lots of Mexicans. When I went into the Army, there were lots of Puerto Ricans, and a few Panamanians and Phillipinos, who also speak spanish. I always thought people who called PR's and Phillipinos "mexicans" were just dumb.

I call people who grew up in Tucson, Mexicans. :eek: :D

C&CDean
5/30/2007, 11:30 AM
I call people who grew up in Tucson, Mexicans. :eek: :D

?Por que? Gavacho.

BigRedJed
5/30/2007, 11:42 AM
we didn't have your Jr. High Teachers who could look at a dark skinned person and decipher his country of origin.

Maybe it's the racist rural society that I grew up in but we were only taught to decipher white people's country of origin. :D
Isn't looking at a dark-skinned person and calling them Mexican exactly that -- deciphering their country of origin? When did I EVER say that I or anyone else could do that. In fact I'm saying just the opposite; since you don't know someone's country of origin, calling them "Mexican" puts your own ignorance on display.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. If you know someone's from Mexico, it should be perfectly acceptable to call them Mexican. Who can argue with that? They're Mexican. If you don't know them to be from Mexico, Hispanic is an accurate description, and takes into account that you don't know their nationality. You're trying to paint my statements into some big, silly excercise in political correctness through exaggeration. It's not.

I'm simply saying there is no defensible reason to incorrectly refer to someone by one nationality when you don't know or even care what their nationality is, because there is an accurate way to describe them that doesn't require you invest any effort whatsoever in getting to know who they are.

A French-speaker from Belgium isn't French; they're Belgian. If you don't know (or care) whether they are French or Belgian, you can refer to them as European, or as French-speaking, and you'll be correct either way. The same goes for a Swiss person who speaks Italian and/or French and/or German.

"Would you say to an Asian "hey, you have slanty eyes. I'm not sure where you are from, so I'll just call you Chinese." I doubt that you would. No, I'm guessing you would call them Asian, until you found out they were from Korea, or Thailand, or wherever, if you ever found out at all. And you would be correct.

I don't understand what is so difficult or disgusting about this. Saying "I don't give a **** where you come from, I'm gonna call you Mexican whether you like it or not," pretty much says "I believe that you are less of a human being than I am." And again, I will point out that all of this has exactly squat to do with immigration. There are TENS OF MILLIONS of Hispanics in this country who are here legally, and they deserve just as much respect as you or I do. You don't have to know any "ins and outs" of Hispanic culture to do it, either.

BigRedJed
5/30/2007, 11:44 AM
Damn. Leave it to Dean to distill everything I'm trying to say into a couple of sentences.

Frozen Sooner
5/30/2007, 11:48 AM
You know, I always thought that you called someone from a Central American country Latino, and that Hispanic was technically incorrect.

Mjcpr
5/30/2007, 11:50 AM
"Would you say to an Asian "hey, you have slanty eyes. I'm not sure where you are from, so I'll just call you Chinese." I doubt that you would. No, I'm guessing you would call them Asian, until you found out they were from Korea, or Thailand, or wherever, if you ever found out at all. And you would be correct.

HANK: So, are you Chinese or Japanese?
KAHN: I live in California last twenty years, but first come from Laos.
HANK: Huh?
KAHN: Laos. We Laotian.
BILL: The ocean? What ocean?
KAHN: We are Laotian. From Laos, stupid! It's a landlocked country in Southeast Asia. It's between Vietnam and Thailand, okay? Population 4.7 million.
HANK: So, are you Chinese or Japanese?

BigRedJed
5/30/2007, 11:50 AM
You know, I always thought that you called someone from a Central American country Latino, and that Hispanic was technically incorrect.
Well, maybe that's some sort of preference, but it's not incorrect (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+hispanic).

MamaMia
5/30/2007, 11:51 AM
I don't understand what is so difficult or disgusting about this. Saying "I don't give a **** where you come from, I'm gonna call you Mexican whether you like it or not," pretty much says "I believe that you are less of a human being than I am." And again, I will point out that all of this has exactly squat to do with immigration. There are TENS OF MILLIONS of Hispanics in this country who are here legally, and they deserve just as much respect as you or I do. You don't have to know any "ins and outs" of Hispanic culture to do it, either. Sorry, I must have missed it and it is a long thread. Could you please tell me which member, members, of this forum calls people who aren't from Mexico, Mexican?

Tulsa_Fireman
5/30/2007, 11:53 AM
Me.

I call 'em Messicans.

Frozen Sooner
5/30/2007, 11:55 AM
Well, maybe that's some sort of preference, but it's not incorrect (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+hispanic).

Cool. I wasn't losing sleep over it or nothin'.

Tear Down This Wall
5/30/2007, 11:59 AM
The problem is that here in America there is some sort of problem with the word "Mexican." My wife is from Mexico and thinks it's absurd for people to run around calling people from Central America and the Carribean Mexicans just based on surname and looks.

She's right. There are Smiths-a-million in Britain and America, but we don't look at someone who is white and has the name Smith and think, "Crap...this place is being overrun by the Brits!"

Also, she's not on board with the whole "Mexican-American" thing. You're either Mexican or American. The "hispanics" who grew up in American are about 0% Mexican. That's why they join LULAC and LA RAZA and convince people to march in the streets with the flags of Mexico, the former Soviet Union, Venezuela, etc. And, most American-born "hispanics" can barely speak Spanish, the language of the Mexican.

And such.

usmc-sooner
5/30/2007, 12:46 PM
Isn't looking at a dark-skinned person and calling them Mexican exactly that -- deciphering their country of origin? When did I EVER say that I or anyone else could do that. In fact I'm saying just the opposite; since you don't know someone's country of origin, calling them "Mexican" puts your own ignorance on display.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. If you know someone's from Mexico, it should be perfectly acceptable to call them Mexican. Who can argue with that? They're Mexican. If you don't know them to be from Mexico, Hispanic is an accurate description, and takes into account that you don't know their nationality. You're trying to paint my statements into some big, silly excercise in political correctness through exaggeration. It's not.

I'm simply saying there is no defensible reason to incorrectly refer to someone by one nationality when you don't know or even care what their nationality is, because there is an accurate way to describe them that doesn't require you invest any effort whatsoever in getting to know who they are.

A French-speaker from Belgium isn't French; they're Belgian. If you don't know (or care) whether they are French or Belgian, you can refer to them as European, or as French-speaking, and you'll be correct either way. The same goes for a Swiss person who speaks Italian and/or French and/or German.

I don't understand what is so difficult or disgusting about this. Saying "I don't give a **** where you come from, I'm gonna call you Mexican whether you like it or not," pretty much says "I believe that you are less of a human being than I am." And again, I will point out that all of this has exactly squat to do with immigration. There are TENS OF MILLIONS of Hispanics in this country who are here legally, and they deserve just as much respect as you or I do. You don't have to know any "ins and outs" of Hispanic culture to do it, either.

well if they would just wear T-shirts that said Hondurus, Mexico, El Savador, Guatamala, China, Korea, Phillipino, that would help me out a lot.