PDA

View Full Version : Family Names

jk the sooner fan
5/28/2007, 07:12 PM
i've been working on ancestry.com most the weekend since the rain has made it one of those indoor weekends.....and since the Santee side is done, I'm working on the other side - the Watts

man the Watts liked to pump out the kids, some of the great great uncles have pumped out between 9 and 12 kids....

I've got a Napoleon Bonaparte Watts in the family - who named his son Deuteronomy Slyvester Watts (they called him "Duty" for short)

and we only thought people gave kids wierd names these days.....its been going on for centuries!

royalfan5
5/28/2007, 07:18 PM
My Great Grandmother had two brothers named Johann Heinrich Bargmann. One was the oldest, and one was the youngest. Both lived into well into adulthood.

BajaOklahoma
5/28/2007, 07:18 PM
My great-grandfather had 12 kids. He named the last one Finis (say fine-us).

Rogue
5/28/2007, 07:22 PM
Don't you have any relatives that are Mormons that can do this kind of research for you? ;)

Rogue
5/28/2007, 07:23 PM
My great-grandfather had 12 kids. He named the last one Finis (say fine-us).

I knew a guy named Finis from Midland, TX. Helluva guy.

I have an older cousing named Kenis. Pronounced like penis, of course.
And all of the hillbilly relatives from Kentucky say names that end in a vowel (like Edna, Thelma, Velma, etc) as if they end in a "Y" (Edney, Thelmey, Velmey, etc).

jk the sooner fan
5/28/2007, 07:24 PM
no, we're all methodists

i like doing it myself! :)

soonernation
5/28/2007, 07:37 PM
I knew a guy named Finis from Midland, TX.

Did the Finus you know work for a company named Coastal Management that was bought by Schlumberger?

Rogue
5/28/2007, 07:46 PM
Dunno. He was a blind veteran of the Korean War and a dang good photographer. Used to be an OTR truck driver, mostly in the western states. He gave me some pics of Marilyn Monroe in Korea that he took himself. Greatness.

So, ummm, genealogy is cool and stuff.

soonernation
5/28/2007, 07:47 PM
Dunno. He was a blind veteran of the Korean War and a dang good photographer. Used to be an OTR truck driver, mostly in the western states. He gave me some pics of Marilyn Monroe in Korea that he took himself. Greatness.

Not the same guy. Sorry.

Rogue
5/28/2007, 07:54 PM
Twas a near miss! You know any Kenis's?

Okla-homey
5/28/2007, 08:37 PM
I had a great uncle (by grandfather's elder bro) who was named Yoakum Velter <insert last name>. He, his wife (my Aunt Nancy) and his passle of younguns lived on a farm between Lone Grove and Healdton. On summertime Saturday nights, they used to have family domino games that would run from after supper til around 1am.

When I was a tyke I used to fall asleep in their front room listening to the june bugs smacking the screen door while my grandfather smacked them bones with his brothers Yoakum, Elmer, Elzie, Fred and J.C. (short for James Carlton) and the wimmen sat on the porch and talked. My great-grandmother Minnie Hambright <insert last name> (the mater familias), held court out there on the porch and dipped scotch snuff with a stick she dipped into the snuff jar.

The cool thing about Uncle Yoakum was he was he could take a drag off a cigarette (which he rolled hisself) and squirt smoke out his tear ducts. I kid you not, he could make smoke come out the corner of his eyes. To a six year old back then, that put him up there with Spiderman.

ChickSoonerFan
5/28/2007, 09:01 PM

:confused:

I may be totally missing something here, but how do you have a blind photographer and truck driver?

Maybe "blind veteran" means something different than what I think?

1stTimeCaller
5/28/2007, 10:48 PM
My granddad's aunt researched that side of the family tree back to Scotland or somewhere. I have another relative that researched my dad's side of the family back to pre-Revolutionary War. I need to get that info from them before it gets lost. My ancestors fought in the Rev War and the Civil War and my granddad fought in WWII. My family is batting .667 in the war department. My great great great Granddad was in something like Price's Division, Pickett's Regiment, Company B...

critical_phil
5/29/2007, 12:29 AM
my SIL spent some time on ancestry.com this weekend. we were finally able to see some official documentation of my great-great-grandfather's demise in the war against northern oppression.

in the funny names department:

my grandmother was irish, and was appropriately named Hibernia (i think that's what the romans called ireland).

she had a brother named Ode and sisters named Gussie and Hixie.

Gussie is the mother of MLB pitcher Virgil Trucks (tossed 2 no-hitters in '52) and also related to Butch Trucks (Allman Brothers) and bluesman Derek Trucks.

olevetonahill
5/29/2007, 12:35 AM
Huh , Funny names ?
Ok My kids grandparents On thier Momas side
His " Francis Marion " Hers "Therma Snolen " :eek:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/29/2007, 06:36 AM
JK, Do you have anyone named "Julius Caesar" on that side of the family?

Okla-homey
5/29/2007, 06:44 AM
Huh , Funny names ?
Ok My kids grandparents On thier Momas side
His " Francis Marion " Hers "Therma Snolen " :eek:

Francis Marion was a stone cold pint-sized war making machine from SC during the Revolution. The character played by Mel Gibson in "The Patriot" was an amalgamation of Francis Marion (AKA "The Swamp Fox") and Thomas Sumter ("The Gamecock.")

Just saying.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2007, 06:59 AM
no relation to our former quarterback and congressman

there are a couple of francis marion's on the watts side

and then one of the men named his daughter Missouri........all of my family on that side came out of Madison County, MO (via Yellville, Arkansas)

MamaMia
5/29/2007, 11:55 AM
We have at least two Maria's in my family genealogy, whether it be used as a first or middle name, dating back to the early 1700s. I'm one of four in my generation.

Harry Beanbag
5/29/2007, 04:05 PM
We also had a Napoleon Bonaparte on my mom's side, late 1800s.

Chuck Bao
5/29/2007, 05:21 PM
I have a Pocahontas Rolfe on my family tree. Okay, she was later christened Lady Rebecca.

Rogue
5/29/2007, 09:48 PM
:confused:

I may be totally missing something here, but how do you have a blind photographer and truck driver?

Maybe "blind veteran" means something different than what I think?

Well...he wasn't always blind. :cool: See they don't take blind folk into the military now and didn't back then either. ;) By the time I met him he was blind. 'Fore that he was a Korean War soldier and a truck driver back home in the states.

StoopTroup
5/29/2007, 11:21 PM
My Great GrandFather was a McClintock...

http://members.aol.com/fortscott/dukeart/film-08.jpg

soonerbrat
5/29/2007, 11:47 PM
I just found out recently that my dad knocked up some girl when he was in high school. that means I have an older sibling out there somewhere. Maybe. I don't know what happened to ....her...him...adopted, kept, aborted. it was before abortion was legal but that doesn't mean anything.

I just hope it wasn't a guy that I've dated.
that would be gross.

luckily, I usually date younger guys.

soonerbrat
5/29/2007, 11:48 PM
oh. the point I wanted to make is...I'd like to find my older bro/sis. can this site help me with that?